PDA

View Full Version : Idea for New Diana Ross Project

test

Koach
06-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm watching a Burt Bacharach program on PBS, where the people who sang his greatest hits are performing the songs on old live performances mainly from Ed Sullivan. I know Diana Ross hasn't sung a whole lot of covers of Bacharach's music, but I thought she did a great job on the ones she did. I especially loved the brief version of I Say a Little Prayer for You she did on that live clip with Mary, Cindy, Bing Crosby and Jose Feliciano. If D.R. had to do another covers album, I'd love to hear her do "Diana Ross Sings Burt Bacharach" or something like that. What do you think?

thisoldheart
06-09-2013, 03:58 PM
bacharach has only one muse, and a few able to even attempt his work [[dusty, sandy shaw, elvis costello, scott walker) ... my advice is to stay outta dionne's territory!

milven
06-09-2013, 06:05 PM
I'd like to see her on Broadway. Not as a singer, but as an actress. Bette Midler is currently there doing a one woman show playing Hollywood Agent Sue Mengers. She does a great job in the role. I can imagine Diana in a play or in a one woman show

revvy
06-09-2013, 06:16 PM
I'd like to see her on the Broadway stage too, however I have a hunch Diana feels it's beneath her. Scherrie Payne, on the other hand, is perfect for Broadway. She would knock 'em dead every night.

I wonder if Diana would ever entertain the idea of a TV special or short series where she would mentor up and coming singers on their vocal technique but also their showmanship...basically elaborating on her short stint with American Idol. Kind of like Motown's Artist Development training. Just bring it up to date.

Linda Ronstadt [[who is officially retired from singing and performing) is doing something similar mentoring young Mexican performers and seems to be enjoying herself immensely by giving back. I'll bet Diana would feel the same.

Whaddya think?

Jaap
06-10-2013, 05:13 AM
If there would be another project in the works, I would hope for a retro/soul/pop album produced by Raphael Saadiq with some songwriting contributions by Alicia Keys. The strength and weakness of Ross is that she balances the line between soulful pop and kitsch pop -- on which side of the line she ends up largely depends on the production. Producers like Peter Asher and Nick Martinelli tend to drag her into schmaltz territory. I realize that many fans like the “I Love You” album, but I personally find it unlistenable, not because Ross is doing a bad job – she sings quite well on the album – but the production makes it sound like karaoke… at least to me. Both Saadiq and Keys are quite good at getting that retro-sound while still being contemporary – and I think that would be perfect of a Ross album…

willtomb
06-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Diana singing motown classics the ones she never recorded
I'm watching a Burt Bacharach program on PBS, where the people who sang his greatest hits are performing the songs on old live performances mainly from Ed Sullivan. I know Diana Ross hasn't sung a whole lot of covers of Bacharach's music, but I thought she did a great job on the ones she did. I especially loved the brief version of I Say a Little Prayer for You she did on that live clip with Mary, Cindy, Bing Crosby and Jose Feliciano. If D.R. had to do another covers album, I'd love to hear her do "Diana Ross Sings Burt Bacharach" or something like that. What do you think?

milven
06-10-2013, 10:15 AM
I'd like to see her on the Broadway stage too, however I have a hunch Diana feels it's beneath her.......

I can't think of anyone who would thing that Broadway is beneath them. Many artists who can command top dollar in other media would kill for the chance to appear on the Great White Way. Even though it may possibly be a cut in pay and hard work. Currently Tom Hanks and Bette Midler are there. And an eighty year old Cicely Tyson wanted to be on Broadway just one more time. I loved her speech last night when she won the TONY for best actress in a play. After giving a rather long and appreciative acceptance speech, she peered into the teleprompter and said,

It says, 'Wrap it up.' Well, that's what you did. You wrapped me up in your arms after 30 years. Now I can go home with a Tony. God bless you all and thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Cicely gets standing ovations every night after her performance in TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL. She got another last night at RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL.

I can't believe that Diana or anyone would think that Broadway is beneath them.

marybrewster
06-10-2013, 10:50 AM
I always thought Diana would be excellent in a "one on one" show; something very stripped down; telling a story, then singing a song that goes along with it: who wrote it, where it was recorded; bits of "trivia" thrown in here and there.

Kind of like what she did at "Inside the Actor's Studio".

longtimefan
06-10-2013, 11:34 AM
I am continually amazed that Diana has essentially quit recording. As one of the most successful recording artists in history, I just cannot believe that there is no audience for newly recorded material. I know that there are financial issues, but a release by Diana certainly would not wind up "in the red." Plus, she still sells very well world wide!

Her tours in the last 2-3 years have proven extremely successful. Now, the Motown musical has again brought her additional attention. Why is there no release to capitalize on this publicity [["IF" finances are the reason for not recording)?

My remarks are in no way a criticism of Diana. I am simply befuddled.

milven
06-10-2013, 11:45 AM
I always thought Diana would be excellent in a "one on one" show; something very stripped down; telling a story, then singing a song that goes along with it: who wrote it, where it was recorded; bits of "trivia" thrown in here and there.

Kind of like what she did at "Inside the Actor's Studio".
That would be a nice format for her. I've seen a few like that [[Elaine Stritch, Carrie Fisher, Bea Arthur) and going in, I thought that they would be boring. But I was totally entertained by each of them. It was just them and a piano player. They each told stories about their career and sprinkled it with song. Interestingly, each of them were on stage barefoot. And a few weeks ago, I saw Bette Midler in a one woman show [[but she was portraying Agent Sue Mengers) and she too was barefoot.

milven
06-10-2013, 11:51 AM
I am continually amazed that Diana has essentially quit recording...

I think the recording industry quit her, and other artists over fifty. The industry always catered to the youthful and continues to do so. Off the top of my head, the only pop artists that I can think of with recording contracts are Streisand and Tony Bennet.

revvy
06-10-2013, 12:30 PM
I think the recording industry quit her, and other artists over fifty. The industry always catered to the youthful and continues to do so. Off the top of my head, the only pop artists that I can think of with recording contracts are Streisand and Tony Bennet.

Diana has said for years that she can't get a record contract. The music business, of course, has always catered to the youth market, but it has also changed dramatically from when Diana was on top many years ago. Production and marketing techniques are completely different. She just needs to adapt to them. Singles seem to be more important these days than albums. I'm sure she could find a great song that would sell.

The one-woman show idea would be an excellent vehicle for Ms. Ross. She would have absolute control which is what she likes, after all :D

TheMotownManiac
06-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Diana Ross has already done Broadway and has a Tony for it. She's 69, financially secure and a professional Mom, Step Mom, and Grand Mommy: I doubt very much she would ever want to do 8 shows a week, 7 or even 6. in that respect, and only in that respect, if you need to attach a negative connotation to her not doing Broadway, it could be considered, with a major stretch, beneath her. Perhaps, I'm missing your point - how else would it be beneath her?
I'd like to see her on the Broadway stage too, however I have a hunch Diana feels it's beneath her. Scherrie Payne, on the other hand, is perfect for Broadway. She would knock 'em dead every night.

I wonder if Diana would ever entertain the idea of a TV special or short series where she would mentor up and coming singers on their vocal technique but also their showmanship...basically elaborating on her short stint with American Idol. Kind of like Motown's Artist Development training. Just bring it up to date.

Linda Ronstadt [[who is officially retired from singing and performing) is doing something similar mentoring young Mexican performers and seems to be enjoying herself immensely by giving back. I'll bet Diana would feel the same.

Whaddya think?

revvy
06-10-2013, 02:38 PM
I don't consider "An Evening with Diana Ross" at the Palace Theater "doing" Broadway. Even though she won a Tony for it, it's a concert...not a musical play. I could certainly picture her in the Norma Desmond role in "Sunset Boulevard", though! :D

milven
06-10-2013, 03:22 PM
They approached Bette Midler a while ago to come back to Broadway in the Norma Desmond role. But she said that she'd rather be in an original and not a revival.

If we're talking revivals for Diana, she would be wonderful in Hello Dolly, Mame or Sunset Boulevard.

supremester
06-10-2013, 03:45 PM
i LOVE Diana on Burt's stuff. I prefer her San jose, This Gir's in love With You & I Say a Little Prayer over anyone's. Can't say the same for Close To You - a song I don't care for but feel it was best served by Karen Carpenter. I ALWAYS wanted to hear Miss Ross sing Alfie ......that would be heaven. Love Dionne on it and Cher as well, did a version on TV that really impressed me. It might be the only truly impressive vocal of Cher I have heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKQE5Hihie8

QUOTE=thisoldheart;170405]bacharach has only one muse, and a few able to even attempt his work [[dusty, sandy shaw, elvis costello, scott walker) ... my advice is to stay outta dionne's territory![/QUOTE]

supremester
06-10-2013, 03:48 PM
I'd love seeing her in a play for sure but I'm not counting on it happening. Bette was Bette in a play VERY tailored to her usual schtick and it was fun, but it's a stretch even calling it a play or that she was acting. I didn't see a characterization there at all and was not surprised there were no Tony nods - for what?
I'd like to see her on Broadway. Not as a singer, but as an actress. Bette Midler is currently there doing a one woman show playing Hollywood Agent Sue Mengers. She does a great job in the role. I can imagine Diana in a play or in a one woman show

supremester
06-10-2013, 03:53 PM
i love her work with Nick and don't think of I Thought That We Were Still In Love as kitsch. He was awesome on Your love, Best Years and Very Special Season. That being said, I love your idea and agree it would be sweet.

If there would be another project in the works, I would hope for a retro/soul/pop album produced by Raphael Saadiq with some songwriting contributions by Alicia Keys. The strength and weakness of Ross is that she balances the line between soulful pop and kitsch pop -- on which side of the line she ends up largely depends on the production. Producers like Peter Asher and Nick Martinelli tend to drag her into schmaltz territory. I realize that many fans like the “I Love You” album, but I personally find it unlistenable, not because Ross is doing a bad job – she sings quite well on the album – but the production makes it sound like karaoke… at least to me. Both Saadiq and Keys are quite good at getting that retro-sound while still being contemporary – and I think that would be perfect of a Ross album…

supremester
06-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Exactly - it was a theatrical music evening on Broadway that ran 3 weeks, broke the house record at The Palace and moved on. If she did a play, I'd move in with a bud and see it until I was accused of stalking.

I don't consider "An Evening with Diana Ross" at the Palace Theater "doing" Broadway. Even though she won a Tony for it, it's a concert...not a musical play. I could certainly picture her in the Norma Desmond role in "Sunset Boulevard", though! :D

Jaap
06-10-2013, 05:22 PM
i love her work with Nick and don't think of I Thought That We Were Still In Love as kitsch. He was awesome on Your love, Best Years and Very Special Season. That being said, I love your idea and agree it would be sweet.

I wasn't thinking of "I Thought That We Were Still In Love" -- that's probably the best song he did on/with her. [[and thinking of great ballads, "Let Somebody Know" really brings out the best in Ross too). But even "I Thought That We Were Still In Love" [[again, one of his better productions) could have been a bit less slickly produced [[the song is better live, with a bit more edge to it). Of course, it also personal taste...

RossHolloway
06-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Why not just go all out and record in Detroit, have HDH write some new tunes for her, and recruit the remaining Funk Bros to play on the records and recruit the Andantes to sing back ground vocals. And maybe have some guest appearances like Dennis Edwards or Mary and Cindy do some new tunes together. Maybe cover some original Motown songs she never had a chance to record.

skooldem1
06-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Diana's "An Evening with Diana Ross" on Broadway was a one woman show. It was more of a theatrical presentation than just a regular concert. As far as new projects. I don't think anything contemporary will be embraced. She should just do a Jazz album. No more albums like ILY, and no duet albums.

milven
06-10-2013, 06:50 PM
http://www.playbillvault.com/images/whos_who/A/n/An-Evening-with-Diana-Ross-06-76-3.jpg

smark21
06-10-2013, 08:06 PM
And if she does another album, it better not be remakes of her old hits as Dionne has done quite a few times over the past 20 years. I think she ought to do a jazz album. She has the chops and life experience to pull it off, if she really wants it. And she may not and she may be content with being semi retired and just doing occasional concert tours here and there until she’s ready to call it a day.

supremester
06-10-2013, 08:42 PM
I'd love that more than anything. Except no Mary & Cindy: I don't like their sound on record, but definitely use The Andantes - they are faboo!
Why not just go all out and record in Detroit, have HDH write some new tunes for her, and recruit the remaining Funk Bros to play on the records and recruit the Andantes to sing back ground vocals. And maybe have some guest appearances like Dennis Edwards or Mary and Cindy do some new tunes together. Maybe cover some original Motown songs she never had a chance to record.

supremester
06-10-2013, 08:52 PM
I used to BEG her to do this live. There were times when she'd finish the song and there would be stone silence for a long time, then a lengthy standing ovation. Except I don't think she liked doing it. She'd be all bubbly, warm & fuzzy from Voice Of The Heart and then need to sit a while and get in the dark mood to wreck the room with ITTWWSIL. I enjoyed watching her process - she didn't just switch it on. Let Somebody Know is pure gold to my ear.
I wasn't thinking of "I Thought That We Were Still In Love" -- that's probably the best song he did on/with her. [[and thinking of great ballads, "Let Somebody Know" really brings out the best in Ross too). But even "I Thought That We Were Still In Love" [[again, one of his better productions) could have been a bit less slickly produced [[the song is better live, with a bit more edge to it). Of course, it also personal taste...

rod_rick
06-10-2013, 09:10 PM
I wonder why Diana has not tried going the independent route for her recording, unless she's just not interested.

supremester
06-10-2013, 10:37 PM
If she wanted to do a record - she'd do a record.I think after spending 8 billion hours in the studio might have been enough. I hope, and expect, that she'll hit us hard next year for the 50th. She took a lot of time off from touring and now is back into it so maybe that'll be the case in the studio. Having a record contract to her liking may be out of reach still, but getting a record out would not be an issue. Any label would issue an ILY2 for her.

Dionne is just releasing anything she can. I'm shocked at her decline with that amazing catalog.

I wonder why Diana has not tried going the independent route for her recording, unless she's just not interested.

lakedistrictlad1
06-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Anyone with her money and business sense could record and put a record out on their own label if they really wanted to put a record out. Blossom Dearie, with her own 'Daffodil' label springs to mind.

And I can't believe for one minute there are no record labels interested enough to take her on.

I reckon she is not signed up because
1. She wants too much money
2. She hasn't the fire in her belly to record anymore

Regarding Dionne - from what I've read of her financial woes - I think the answer to her recording rehashed old material is to pay of her taxes - surely.

marybrewster
06-11-2013, 09:02 AM
I'd love to see Diana tackle the Sarah Vaughaun songbook.

milven
06-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Another diva of Diana's generation, Cher, is releasing a new CD on September 24Th. She is scheduled to sing the new single "Woman's World" next week [[June 18Th) on the season finale of THE VOICE. She has not performed live on TV in over a decade.

Cher has proven that it is possible for treasures like Gladys, Bette, Barbra,Patti, Diana to still get new material released.

Diana is a woman who knows how to make things happen. But she is also very demanding. It would be nice to see new releases by all these great entertainers.

supremester
06-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Sarah Vaughn - interesting.
I'd love to see Diana tackle the Sarah Vaughaun songbook.

Kamasu_Jr
06-12-2013, 01:15 AM
They haven't done an all black cast of Who's Afraid Of Virginia Wolfe. Why doesn't Diana Ross consider that? It's a challenging play and she might be good as bitchy Martha. They could cast Denzel Washington or Laurence Fishburne as George.

thisoldheart
06-12-2013, 02:33 AM
i like this ... but no singing duets. just bring the andantes in! record it in studio A with a live band, and perhaps even live vocals. retro worked for amy winehouse and sharon jones ... let's hear diana's take on some new h/d/h vintage sounding material. keep ross outta the american songbook thang. that's been done to death. beside h/d/h have their own american songbook to get new ideas from!

pghmusiclover
06-12-2013, 09:08 AM

This is the best idea: to work with some young R&B talent like Raphael and Alicia. I always wanted to see Diana work with Swing Out Sister and Mick Hucknall [[SImply Red). Wasn't there talk that she had worked with Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails at one point?

RossHolloway
06-12-2013, 10:52 AM
i like this ... but no singing duets. just bring the andantes in! record it in studio A with a live band, and perhaps even live vocals. retro worked for amy winehouse and sharon jones ... let's hear diana's take on some new h/d/h vintage sounding material. keep ross outta the american songbook thang. that's been done to death. beside h/d/h have their own american songbook to get new ideas from!

Well I thought of Dennis Edwards bc of the great Supreme's/Temps albums that they sung on and I've heard Dennis sing recently and he still has the pipes. I do wonder if HDH still write music together or what songs they've hung onto. My other idea would for DR to do a Mystery Lady type jazz album that Etta James did back about 20 years ago. I just don't want her to do another MOR type album.

skooldem1
06-12-2013, 11:33 AM
I don't think that Diana would be good in a Broadway play. She has said that her acting is mostly improvisational. I believe that she is not good with memorizing lines and would find it very difficult.

Kamasu_Jr
06-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I forgot about her not liking acting and learning lines. But she could do it. Martha in Virginia Wolfe would be a good role for her. She's 69 , but still good looking. And Martha thinks and acts sexy. If I were a Broadway producer, I'd try to do this play with an all black cast like Aniki Rose and Anthony Mackie and Laurence Fishburne and Diana Rss. It would sell tickets. Diana Ross would be a sexier choice than Alfre Woodard. Diana Ross has already done albums of standards and jazz. She needs to do something different.

marv2
06-12-2013, 05:00 PM
They haven't done an all black cast of Who's Afraid Of Virginia Wolfe. Why doesn't Diana Ross consider that? It's a challenging play and she might be good as bitchy Martha. They could cast Denzel Washington or Laurence Fishburne as George.

She would have to have big breasts! Martha [[Elizabeth) had nice big breats.

marv2
06-12-2013, 05:43 PM
If Diane can do this! Then she's goin to have to show me what she's workin with! LOL!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWdK9nhQpE0

supremester
06-12-2013, 06:56 PM
The play was written for two men. It was deemed not socially acceptable for the mainstream and changed to two mixed couples [[men & women.) Nowhere in the script does Mr Albee require nice big breasts, however, in it's original incarnation, size may have mattered.
She would have to have big breasts! Martha [[Elizabeth) had nice big breats.

marv2
06-12-2013, 09:37 PM
The play was written for two men. It was deemed not socially acceptable for the mainstream and changed to two mixed couples [[men & women.) Nowhere in the script does Mr Albee require nice big breasts, however, in it's original incarnation, size may have mattered.

I don't anything about that. All I know is Liz Taylor was HOTTT in her day!

Kamasu_Jr
06-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Elizabeth Taylor just happened to have big breasts, but Edward Albee did not specify this in his play. When classic plays are reproduced, there is room for different interpretations. It wouldn't have to be about breasts. But it would give Diana Ross a chance to show just how good a dramatic actress she could be.

rovereab
06-13-2013, 03:33 PM
I'd love an album of new songs written by some of her writers over the years, perhaps a duet with Smokey Robinson included too. New songs from HDH, Smokey Robinson, Valerie Simpson and Nile Rogers would be fantastic.

copley
06-15-2013, 07:51 PM
I don't think that Diana will record again because she doesn't want to or need to! She can carry on performing for as long as she wants giving the people what they want - the hits!

marv2
06-15-2013, 08:59 PM
I don't think that Diana will record again because she doesn't want to or need to! She can carry on performing for as long as she wants giving the people what they want - the hits!

I have to agree. I am sure she has come to the conclusion by now that no one is interested in recording her anymore. I think she should do something like a cooking show and periodically have musical guest artists on like Natalie Cole, Barry Manilow and Bobby Sherman. They could do a musical number together while Diane's pots simmer and Rupaul dances!

TheMotownManiac
06-17-2013, 02:40 AM
Are you sure big breasts aren't a requirement to play Martha???? .........This is priceless.
Elizabeth Taylor just happened to have big breasts, but Edward Albee did not specify this in his play. When classic plays are reproduced, there is room for different interpretations. It wouldn't have to be about breasts. But it would give Diana Ross a chance to show just how good a dramatic actress she could be.

TheMotownManiac
06-17-2013, 03:03 AM
Perhaps you got Mary & Diana's sales mixed up.I think Diana compares the 800,000 global sales of I Love You [[with no label support, of course) to Red Hot's 7,000 [[WITH label support by way of Motown's hottest producer with 2 recent triple hit #1's , promo singles and albums serviced to R&B and Pop stations and 12" singles of Red Hot sent to hundreds of clubs - not to mention the promo posters sent to record stores) that Mary continued to record and has found strength in that. Mary continues to be a source of inspiration to Diana Ross and that's probably why she gave her a shout out on TV a few years back and was so thrilled to see her at The Motown Premiere.
I have to agree. I am sure she has come to the conclusion by now that no one is interested in recording her anymore. I think she should do something like a cooking show and periodically have musical guest artists on like Natalie Cole, Barry Manilow and Bobby Sherman. They could do a musical number together while Diane's pots simmer and Rupaul dances!

milven
06-17-2013, 08:21 AM

Older artists have trouble getting recording contracts. If she wants to keep busy, she can go on the oldies circuit and open for Herman's Hermits where they charge between 15 and 30 dollars per ticket. And there are plenty of fairs and parking lots that would kill to have her. But once she makes herself available for those venues, it may take away bookings from other artists and some former Supremes who are already appearing on that circuit.

Poor Miss Ross.

jobeterob
06-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Mary Wilson's total CD sales have been quoted at 4000 total. 7000 for Red Hot is too much.

That is not the kind of career she had; she has not released many records and none have been hits or received significant radio play. As she said, she is not so much a singer as a performer.

Diana Ross doing Burt Bacharach doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

A jazz album with all new material or a duets album would be OK with me. But she is touring all summer; nothing like that is coming down the pipe. She is all over South America and the USA.

marv2
06-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Mary Wilson's CD have been quoted at 4000 total. 7000 for Red Hot is too much.

That is not the kind of career she had; she has not released many records and none have been hits or received significant radio play. As she said, she is not so much a singer as a performer.

Diana Ross doing Burt Bacharach doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

A jazz album with all new material or a duets album would be OK with me. But she is touring all summer; nothing like that is coming down the pipe. She is all over South America and the USA.

I still like the idea of Diane doing something like a talk show. Since she is universally unpopular with her peers in the Entertainment Industry, she could host a show with the most dsliked celebrities by the general public. She could get O.J. as her first guest! hehehehehehe!!!! That would be her niche, her gimmick!

luke
06-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Now Marv just hold on. Berry Gordy, Rhonda Ross, Tracey Ellis, Dr Ross and Oprah too!

marv2
06-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Now Marv just hold on. Berry Gordy, Rhonda Ross, Tracey Ellis, Dr Ross and Oprah too!

Well at least that way she can be sure that they will say nice things about her.

Roberta75
06-17-2013, 11:16 PM

You and your bff are 100% obsess with Diane Ross. Its almost creepy. smh

Roberta

kenneth
06-18-2013, 03:11 AM

Wow, that would be great! She could play that role really well, and I think prove the role is essentially color blind. What a great idea, revvy!

marv2
06-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Wow, that would be great! She could play that role really well, and I think prove the role is essentially color blind. What a great idea, revvy!

It would be great to see Diane in the role of Norma Desmond and Mr. Gordy as Max! LOL!!!!

davidh
06-18-2013, 10:20 AM
I always wanted her to do a standards album. after seeing her in Vienna with the opera singers I thought she would be out of her element but she delivered

SupremeBoy
06-18-2013, 11:06 AM
I always wanted her to do a standards album. after seeing her in Vienna with the opera singers I thought she would be out of her element but she delivered

She sure did deliver as opposed to Mary What-Her-Face touring the country with a trunk full of musty tattered gowns and playing to vouchered venues. Hey maybe Mary Whats-Her-Face can star on a new reality show for VH-1 "Celebrity Has-Beens and Never Weres" she seems to fit that bill very nicely.

Poor Mary Whats-Her-Face...

jobeterob
06-18-2013, 11:06 AM
The standards album idea is a good one.

kenneth
06-18-2013, 11:17 AM
She sure did deliver as opposed to Mary What-Her-Face touring the country with a trunk full of musty tattered gowns and playing to vouchered venues. Hey maybe Mary Whats-Her-Face can star on a new reality show for VH-1 "Celebrity Has-Beens and Never Weres" she seems to fit that bill very nicely.

Poor Mary Whats-Her-Face...

Yikes! Was that really necessary???

SupremeBoy
06-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Yikes! Was that really necessary???

Sorry, I was taking a page out of marv2's book, "How To Write Obnoxious, Disrespectful Posts On The Internet Without Really Trying". It wont happen again.

milven
06-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Sorry, I was taking a page out of marv2's book, "How To Write Obnoxious, Disrespectful Posts On The Internet Without Really Trying". It wont happen again.

I understand exactly what you are feeling. We all have to read the disrespectful things that Marv says about Diana and the other Supremes. The easiest way to attack him is to attack his beloved Mary.

In another thread, he was not satisfied with just dissing Diana. He also attacked one of her children and implied that Diana had poor parenting skills. I was tempted to say something about Mary, but I left it alone. As a Supreme fan, I don't want to retaliate by attacking Mary. And Ralph seems to have a blind eye as to who starts these incidents in the threads.

But I do understand your frustration. Many of us do.

SupremeBoy
06-18-2013, 01:34 PM
I understand exactly what you are feeling. We all have to read the disrespectful things that Marv says about Diana and the other Supremes. The easiest way to attack him is to attack his beloved Mary.

In another thread, he was not satisfied with just dissing Diana. He also attacked one of her children and implied that Diana had poor parenting skills. I was tempted to say something about Mary, but I left it alone. As a Supreme fan, I don't want to retaliate by attacking Mary. And Ralph seems to have a blind eye as to who starts these incidents in the threads.

But I do understand your frustration. Many of us do.

Thank you for getting it milven. That was exactly the point of my post. I'm sorry I had to use Miss Wilson as part of my example. For the record I love each and every Supreme for their talent, beauty. Individually and collectively they are some of the most talented women that have graced the music business with their presence.

It annoys me that every time I open a Diana Ross or Supreme thread, there he is posting a disrespectful, obnoxious, negative post about Diana Ross. It's like it's his life's mission to tear her apart any and every chance he gets. It's borderline obsessive and very disturbing.

I don't get the hate, I don't get the disdain he has for Diana Ross. He's just so petty and resentful of her. But ultimately he comes off as truly sad and pathetic.

From this point on I will ignore him. He's never going to change and anything he posts against Diana Ross is merely just his opinion, and you know what they say about those, right? Opinions are like [[fill in the blank) Difference here is everyone has an [[fill in the blank) and he is one...[[fill in the blank).

jobeterob
06-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Marv is ill.

The rest of us should not descend to attacking Mary Wilson as a response to Marv.

Every time he is rude and disrespectful, he is firstly disrespectful to the Forum that is provided for all of us and he is disrespectful and embarrassing to himself.

He takes this all more personally than Ross or Wilson do.

SupremeBoy
06-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Marv is ill.

The rest of us should not descend to attacking Mary Wilson as a response to Marv.

You're right jobeterob, I shouldn't have attacked Mary Wilson as a response to Marv. It won't happen again.

smark21
06-18-2013, 08:16 PM
While one may think that in trashing one of the Supremes they’re bringing down that woman, in truth, it’s the basher who’s bringing themselves down, or more accurately, showing themselves for what they really are inside.

smark21
06-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Couldn’t “I Love You” be considered something of a standards album?
Also, I wouldn’t call the Vienna concerts Ross’ attempt at covering the standards. It’s a holiday concert in which she sung mostly Christmas songs in the pop vein with Domingo and Carreras sang holiday music from the classical repertoire. Ross didn’t attempt much of that material as she lacks the years of training to sing them on the same level as Domingo and Carreras. It was a nice concert with each artist doing what they do best.

skooldem1
06-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Besides the Christmas special, they teamed up for a few concerts in Europe. For those concerts she sang standards as well as some of her solo hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUevI5pLHZA

skooldem1
06-18-2013, 08:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn4DMzXEXQg

skooldem1
06-18-2013, 08:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnzmPrsLXn8

Roberta75
06-18-2013, 08:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnzmPrsLXn8

Thats a real pretty version of We Shall Overcome. Diane Ross has a beautiful voice and she really excel in this clip.

Thank you for sharing.

Roberta

jobeterob
06-19-2013, 01:46 AM
The kind of standards album I think Diane should do is stuff from way back ~ more in the vein of the new material that was on Blue ~ new to her.

But not the I Love You standards. There were a few excellent songs on there ~ Remember and Lovely Day and I Will. But I would have dropped Always and Forever, More Today Than Yesterday and a few others.