PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross, ''I'm Still Waiting''

test

johnbell
06-08-2013, 11:22 PM
How come this song didn't peak higher or even #1 in the US, or even here in Canada, lots of weeks #1 in the UK.
First time that I listen to that Everything and Everything album, I knew, that should have been the follow-up to Ain't No Mountain... it's still one of the favorite song that she got to perform when in the UK.

How about Diana in a short dress!!! hot legs, lol

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV_b3tKc0VM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfZlbfNSEx8

captainjames
06-08-2013, 11:38 PM
I think if I remember right Berry didn't like the register of her voice on this song so it remained on the LP until UK demanded to hear more of it. The US was not really into this type of song so it fell by the way side.

Methuselah2
06-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Thanks so much for posting both videos, Johnbell. So enjoyable. And what a kick to see Glenda Jackson in the audience in the second video. Hadn't seen the first video before, so it was a real treat. Thanks again. I like that song very much, too.

kenneth
06-09-2013, 01:33 AM
It was never released in the US as a single, was it? Hard to fathom why.

Great video clips. Really fun to see Ross having so much fun with the audience..I never realized she was so relaxed in performance. I guess I haven't seen much of her live videos.

I agree, it's a great song and Diane has a very vulnerable quality in it which was unusual for her.

johnbell
06-09-2013, 02:35 AM
It was never released in the US as a single, was it? Hard to fathom why.

Great video clips. Really fun to see Ross having so much fun with the audience..I never realized she was so relaxed in performance. I guess I haven't seen much of her live videos.

I agree, it's a great song and Diane has a very vulnerable quality in it which was unusual for her.

Yes it was released, november 1971, peak at #63. glad you like it

johnbell
06-09-2013, 02:47 AM
Yes it peaked at # 63 on the billboard charts.

Wanna see more of that fabulous show, and her reaching with the audience???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz0grGJnu2k&list=PL078B5CB9B906EBB5

roger
06-09-2013, 03:27 AM
From songfacts.com ..

"This was originally just an album track, however the BBC Radio 1 breakfast show DJ Tony Blackburn, who was a massive Diana Ross fan, had other ideas. He told Motown Records that if they released it as a single, he would make it his "Record Of The Week," playing it every morning for 5 days. The label did, Blackburn kept his word, and the result was Diana Ross' first UK #1 as a solo artist."

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=8565

That is pretty much as remember it as well, I was never too keen on the song but it got massive airplay on TONY BLACKBURN's breakfast show on BBC Radio One [[which at that time was the easily the "Pop Music" show with the greatest number of listeners in the U.K. ) and the boost was enough to propel the song into the charts.

The general U.K. record buying public loved the song and after a few weeks in got to #1 [[It debuted on the U.K. chart on 31st July 1971 and got to #1 on 21st Aug 1971), displacing "Get It On [[Bang a Gong)" by T.REX. "I'm Still Waiting" spent 4 weeks as the best selling single in Britain, as I recall TONY BLACKBURN was still playing it every morning throughout all this time.

Interestingly [[for us here at SDF) the record that replaced "I'm Still Waiting" at #1 in the U.K. was an R&B/Soul reissue from 1964 ... "Hey Girl Don't Bother Me" by THE TAMS!!

Roger

BayouMotownMan
06-09-2013, 04:20 PM
It was never planned as a US single. After Surrender, DIana was concentrating on her first pregnancy and inundating herself with Billie Holiday information in preparation for her film debut. She wasn't in the studio very much in this period and Gordy halted releases on her because after Ain't No Mountain her sales dropped markedly. The company was also preparing to move to the west coast.

The song was an unexpected hit record in the UK. Gordy put it our here in 1971 I think just to put out a record on Ross so that her recording career stateside wouldn't lose as much momentum as would putting nothing out at all. However, it would be a year before another Ross single was issued her [[Good Morning Heartache). Little promotion was given to I'm Still Waiting

midnightman
06-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Motown didn't really promote the record here because they spent too long not wanting to release it. Motown didn't really promote Diana's solo career the right way imho...the UK really understood how much of a good seller the song was and how catchy it was. It's really underrated as a soul classic here in these shores.