PDA

View Full Version : Tony Awards 2013

test

mindful1
06-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Does anyone know if any actual Motown artists will be attending/performering/presenting this year?

smark21
06-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Cast members from Motown the Musical will perform a number, but otherwise, no. The show only got a couple of nominations.

REDHOT
06-08-2013, 06:40 PM
New York Times said it's[[Motown The Musical) the biggest play of the year,and only got 4 nominations,that a lot of b.s,i'm looking forward to seein' the cast of Motown The Musical perform anyway,again I loved it so much,i'm planin' to go to New York to see it again,Please Stay Positive

supremester
06-08-2013, 10:04 PM
I'll be seeing it again in August and will be looking forward to more changes in the book. The 4 nominations were a surprise to me as word of mouth in the theatre was so bad, I didn't think enough in the nominating process would go to get votes for it. I do hope it gets one, but doubt it - certainly not for acting[[again, not enough members going to it), but maybe for sound. The national touring company opens in March in Chicago - that's how big of a hit this is. The music overcame segregation and civil rights - so the fact that it overcame the book is not as much of a surprise. [[It IS much improved fromn the first time I saw it) I hope I appeared positive, RedHot.

xo

New York Times said it's[[Motown The Musical) the biggest play of the year,and only got 4 nominations,that a lot of b.s,i'm looking forward to seein' the cast of Motown The Musical perform anyway,again I loved it so much,i'm planin' to go to New York to see it again,Please Stay Positive

mindful1
06-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Well, the show just opened and Berry Gordy is in the front row, just got a shout out from Neil Patrick Harris! Let's see if any others present!

Kamasu_Jr
06-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Not a single Tony win. However seeing the cast perform, it was obvious other musicals also nominated were better. The actors who performed as the Jackson 5 were good and performed on Wendy Williams.

marv2
06-12-2013, 12:44 AM
How many awards was it nominated for? I feel bad for Mr. Gordy.

thisoldheart
06-12-2013, 02:22 AM
feel bad for gordy? why? it is his "vanity rewrite of history" and the critics know this. i guess he can laugh to the bank, but i will never see this schlock. i have my records with real singers doing the original songs ... this is vegas stuff. count me out!

TheMotownManiac
06-12-2013, 03:16 AM
The critics nor the audiences don't care one whit if it is true or not. Critics care if it is well written, and it is not. Audiences love the basic story and the music. Vegas-ey? yes. But have you heard Supremes in Japan? Not only do they destroy the hits by Diana Ross & The Andantes/Supremes, but those of JMC as well. Vegas-ey? these medleys are an insult even to Vegas [[prolly why it never got released in USA) but some folks LIKE those arrangements. Sold out crowds thrill to them 8 shows a week. I understand they have continued to make changes since opening night. I will see it again a report back.
feel bad for gordy? why? it is his "vanity rewrite of history" and the critics know this. i guess he can laugh to the bank, but i will never see this schlock. i have my records with real singers doing the original songs ... this is vegas stuff. count me out!

thisoldheart
06-12-2013, 05:07 AM
i really dislike the supremes doing their vegas schlock ... much prefer their 45's and some album cuts. if people like those live albums with the cheesy house bands more power to them, i'll stick with the original h/d/h productions!