PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson in Concert : "Supremes Medley"!

test

marv2
06-07-2013, 08:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkhsRaUGg4Q

Methuselah2
06-07-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm fascinated by what Mary has done here. Now on lead of songs so well-known, the familiar sound of them can't help but be changed. But Mary sings them here with such assurance and style that she clearly makes them her own, and it all works beautifully. It's Mary's take on them and she gives them a smoothness and lilt that re-charges the material. Wonderful to hear and to watch. She may not have been on lead back then but it was still Mary and she was vital to the group. Now on lead and she certainly seems to be in the right spot, and deserving of it, as well. Thanks for posting this great performance, Marv.

luke
06-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Well said Methus! Great arrangements and Mary seems to be singing in higher key. Very nice.

marv2
06-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Here's another part to the same concert. Mary still rocks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnHlsHblFic

marv2
06-08-2013, 07:04 AM
and a bit more.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5QOfQJLYJ4

antceleb12
06-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Her voice might not be what it used to be, but she still rocks! And she looks great, too!

luke
06-08-2013, 02:05 PM
I think her voice is better than ever. Stronger, more controlled...

marv2
06-08-2013, 02:08 PM
I've always felt Mary's voice has gotten better over the years. It is very powerful , yet she can modulate it at will to the soft, jazzy tones I also enjoy from her.

detmotownguy
06-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks for posting Marv! She is a pleasure to watch; really enjoys her craft. All those HDH songs certainly have longevity. I saw Mary a few months ago and she really blew! I like how her voice has been developing over the years. I wonder if all that yoga she does helps her strength and control as Luke mentioned!

Thanks again Marv

marv2
06-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Thanks for posting Marv! She is a pleasure to watch; really enjoys her craft. All those HDH songs certainly have longevity. I saw Mary a few months ago and she really blew! I like how her voice has been developing over the years. I wonder if all that yoga she does helps her strength and control as Luke mentioned!

Thanks again Marv

You are welcome Detmotownguy! Whatever she is doing, it is working. I can't think of any other singer that started out in the sixties who's voice is as strong if not stronger today, some 50 plus years later than Mary Wilson.

marv2
06-08-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm fascinated by what Mary has done here. Now on lead of songs so well-known, the familiar sound of them can't help but be changed. But Mary sings them here with such assurance and style that she clearly makes them her own, and it all works beautifully. It's Mary's take on them and she gives them a smoothness and lilt that re-charges the material. Wonderful to hear and to watch. She may not have been on lead back then but it was still Mary and she was vital to the group. Now on lead and she certainly seems to be in the right spot, and deserving of it, as well. Thanks for posting this great performance, Marv.

You are welcome Methuselah. I have been hearing Mary perform these songs live for so long now that I truly enjoy and remember her versions.

REDHOT
06-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Yes,Mary has been singing all her life,and it shows,the more you do it,[[sang)the better you are at doing it,Mary Wilson is The Best,Please Stay Positive

TheMotownManiac
06-08-2013, 06:36 PM
She's lost her upper register - Come see About Me is totally avoidant of even slightly higher notes and at least half of her power is gone. I think she's more ineffective than ever on Supremes material, but is best on You keep Me Hanging On. Still, she truly makes the best of her abilities and works the lackluster crowd in this dismal room very well. I saw her perform in a hallway years ago in Cape May - and trouper that she is, performed as if she were headlining at Albert Hall. Fast forward to Last Dance and she shines brightly on the intro. She's charming, sexy, playful and sounds so smooth - I have seen Mary perform the opening better than Donna. She doesn't get hired to sing ballads but she still has the chops to win the crowd over with them. And yes, she very much looks Supreme. The chin implant is the single best piece of cosmetic surgery I've ever seen on anyone. Do you know if she and Diana got their boob jobs at the same time?
Her voice might not be what it used to be, but she still rocks! And she looks great, too!

marv2
06-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Yes,Mary has been singing all her life,and it shows,the more you do it,[[sang)the better you are at doing it,Mary Wilson is The Best,Please Stay Positive

Mary's voice is so strong ,that she can put the mic down to her side and be heard clearly at the back of most concert halls.

marv2
06-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Still more, more, more from Mary's concert. It looks like everyone was having a blast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muSQ8hs34Rk

supremester
06-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Everyone onstage does look like they are having a blast. Mary looks wonderful. she is blessed to have you for a fan.
Still more, more, more from Mary's concert. It looks like everyone was having a blast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muSQ8hs34Rk

detmotownguy
06-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Mary's voihice is so strong ,that she can put the mic down to her side and be heard clearly at the back of most concert halls.

You are right Marv,,,,,i saw Mary a couple ofyears ago in the symphony setting. When she sang My World is Empty the mic was four feet from her mouth and was clearly a powerhouse. She can blow whenshe wants too. I like when she sings without the music. And damn those legs........!

rod_rick
06-08-2013, 10:52 PM
She's lost her upper register - Come see About Me is totally avoidant of even slightly higher notes and at least half of her power is gone. I think she's more ineffective than ever on Supremes material, but is best on You keep Me Hanging On. Still, she truly makes the best of her abilities and works the lackluster crowd in this dismal room very well. I saw her perform in a hallway years ago in Cape May - and trouper that she is, performed as if she were headlining at Albert Hall. Fast forward to Last Dance and she shines brightly on the intro. She's charming, sexy, playful and sounds so smooth - I have seen Mary perform the opening better than Donna. She doesn't get hired to sing ballads but she still has the chops to win the crowd over with them. And yes, she very much looks Supreme. The chin implant is the single best piece of cosmetic surgery I've ever seen on anyone. Do you know if she and Diana got their boob jobs at the same time?

I understand what you are saying regarding Mary's upper register, but it's still there. I beleive that this performance was one of two that she was doing that day, so I think she may ahve been saving her voice. Lucy and Parnell were not singing as powerful as the usually do also. What I've notice about Mary is when she don't push vocally she is so damn charming and entertaining that the audience don't care that she's avoiding certain notes, but her range is still there for sure.

jim aka jtigre99
06-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Miss Wilson performed 2 shows here, the first [[which I attended) was at 2PM and she sounded and looked great. This video is from the second show at 7PM, which I could not, unfortunately, attend. The audience during the show I saw was quite enthusiastic and enjoyed the show. I enjoyed the show immensely, it was very entertaining and I am sure this show was just as enjoyable for those who saw it. Except for her musical director and her singers Parnell and Lucy, the band had just rehearsed with her but they sounded very smooth and professional. I had a wonderful time, Miss Wilson is quite a talented entertainer and I hope that everyone who sees her or any other former Motowner enjoys the show as much as I did.

marv2
06-09-2013, 10:34 AM
I understand what you are saying regarding Mary's upper register, but it's still there. I beleive that this performance was one of two that she was doing that day, so I think she may ahve been saving her voice. Lucy and Parnell were not singing as powerful as the usually do also. What I've notice about Mary is when she don't push vocally she is so damn charming and entertaining that the audience don't care that she's avoiding certain notes, but her range is still there for sure.

I've seen her do that before too. Hold back a bit if she has more than one show that day.

Roberta75
06-09-2013, 11:44 AM

Mary Wilson still has the chops and Diane Ross still has the chops and both ladies have real great stage presence. imo the First Lady of Motown Dr Martha Reeves is the best singer around today but i still enjoy Diane Ross and Mary wilson.

If I ever come into money Im going to get me a chin just like Mary Wilsons. The woman has the best chin in show business. Marys chin shows strength and determination and pride.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

marv2
06-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Yes, yes, yes........Mary Wilson is still one of the most beautiful women in show business and definitely to ever record for Motown:

supremester
06-09-2013, 02:52 PM
She may not have had her high notes at this show, but she's got em on her new song about her mom - she sounds great on it.

marv2
06-10-2013, 11:52 PM
From the same concert, "Reflections". She is definitely and deliberately holding back......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu9jsUq0eQk

marv2
06-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Mary with "Someday We'll Be Together"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLKuNjQR-iU

antceleb12
06-11-2013, 08:24 PM
She's lost her upper register - Come see About Me is totally avoidant of even slightly higher notes and at least half of her power is gone. I think she's more ineffective than ever on Supremes material, but is best on You keep Me Hanging On. Still, she truly makes the best of her abilities and works the lackluster crowd in this dismal room very well.

I was thinking the same thing. A lot of her high notes are flat, it's just a fact. But it's her energy that really rocks!!

I think her voice is better than ever. Stronger, more controlled...

I have to disagree. I've seen performances of hers where her voice was a lot stronger. The higher parts go flat, and her tone is a lot breathier than it used to be. Nothing against Mary, it just comes with age. But, like I said, she's got an energy that supersedes her vocal limitations, and she rocks the stage.

luke
06-11-2013, 10:02 PM
I hear you but its just not the case. I saw her 6 months ago and her voice was totally strong.

marv2
06-11-2013, 10:27 PM
I hear you but its just not the case. I saw her 6 months ago and her voice was totally strong.

Mary hasn't lost anything vocally which is what makes her so special. In fact, she has broaden her range. Her voice today is very powerful and probably at her best.

antceleb12
06-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Mary hasn't lost anything vocally which is what makes her so special. In fact, she has broaden her range. Her voice today is very powerful and probably at her best.

I haven't seen her live, so I can only speak to this video, and vocally, it was not her best performance. Sorry.