smark21
06-06-2013, 09:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X0NPdIS7cs

marv2
06-06-2013, 09:36 PM
I love Ann Arbor! Sing Martha!

thomas96
06-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Awesome! What's the occasion, with the children on stage?

thanxal
06-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Any of the original Vandellas on stage with Martha?

Roberta75
06-07-2013, 12:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X0NPdIS7cs

Nobody and I maen nobody can thrill or work an audience like the first Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves. She look and sound wonderful. Ive said it before and Ill say it again Miss Reeves is the best entertainer to come out of Motown records.

Thank you smark21 youve made this fan real happy and put a huge smile on my face.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

detmotownguy
06-08-2013, 10:45 PM
I have been travelling the last couple of months through out the South Pacific visitinf the smaller islands and was pleasantly suprised to hear Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things,In My Lonely Room, and Live Wire in the beach type bars. One would think dancing in thestreets, Nowhere to Run would be the obvious! Sorry for the typos....the sailboat is bouncing a bit much! MOTOWN's impact is certainly far and wide!

thisoldheart
06-09-2013, 02:40 AM
i love martha reeves ... but her vibrato is just too outta whack for me to enjoy her now.

detmotownguy
06-09-2013, 03:44 AM
i love martha reeves ... but her vibrato is just too outta whack for me to enjoy her now.

There is a video of Martha on youtube singing Love Make Me Do Foolish Things with just a elctric piano I think; she sounded pretty good and put out alot of emotion. It is fairly recent and I remembr she is wearing a blue suit. Great stage presence!

Roberta75
06-09-2013, 11:50 AM
There is a video of Martha on youtube singing Love Make Me Do Foolish Things with just a elctric piano I think; she sounded pretty good and put out alot of emotion. It is fairly recent and I remembr she is wearing a blue suit. Great stage presence!

Yes yes yes detroitmotownguy. nobody can show emotion like the First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves. Miss Reeves can sing and hold a audience line no other. Shes the best there is and I pray to God every night that he watch over her.

Best to you,

Roberta

Roberta75
06-09-2013, 11:51 AM

Maybe its your ears cause its certainly not marthas voice. Martha Reeves is the best singer around today.

Roberta

supremester
06-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Say it! Say it! Say it! Say it AGAIN! NO ONE can sing like Martha Reeves!
Nobody and I maen nobody can thrill or work an audience like the first Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves. She look and sound wonderful. Ive said it before and Ill say it again Miss Reeves is the best entertainer to come out of Motown records.

Thank you smark21 youve made this fan real happy and put a huge smile on my face.

Roberta

nosey
06-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Ditto. She sounds awful to me. [[Ducking for cover from the Martha-ites.)

MotownLover
06-09-2013, 01:52 PM

You took the words right out of my mind and mouth. I love Martha's legacy but find it difficult to hear her singing live these days.

StuBass1
06-09-2013, 02:54 PM
No disrespect intended to Martha Reeves, a great Motown tradition in her own right, however, it's Claudette Robinson who holds the official title as "The First Lady Of Motown"...

luke
06-11-2013, 10:05 PM
I thought it was Mary Wells or Raynoma Godry!

StuBass1
06-13-2013, 02:00 AM
I thought it was Mary Wells or Raynoma Godry!

No...it's Claudette who was there with Smokey and BG from day one [[and sang on every single Miracles recording). The Funk Brothers very first rehearsal was actually at Claudette house. She has been designated The First Lady Of Motown from the very beginning...

Roberta75
06-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Well imo the First Lady of Motown Records will always be Dr Martha Reeves. Miss Reeves is Motowns greatest ambassador and the keeper of the flame. Dr Reeves is beautiful and articulite and the best singer to come out of Motown Records. She also give her time to the Motown museum in Detroit and always has time for her fans and for interviews and is always real respectful of Mr Gordy.

Martha Reeves will always be the First lady of Motown Records to me.

Roberta

marybrewster
06-13-2013, 01:18 PM
What about Mom Gordy? Without her loan to Berry, there'd be no Motown and no "First Lady" of anything.

StuBass1
06-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Well imo the First Lady of Motown Records will always be Dr Martha Reeves. Miss Reeves is Motowns greatest ambassador and the keeper of the flame. Dr Reeves is beautiful and articulite and the best singer to come out of Motown Records. She also give her time to the Motown museum in Detroit and always has time for her fans and for interviews and is always real respectful of Mr Gordy.

Martha Reeves will always be the First lady of Motown Records to me.

Roberta

Totally appreciate your admiration for your favorite artist Martha Reeves, and it's certainly your perogative to consider Martha or anyone else as The First Lady Of Motown, just as it's anyones perogative to call Ann Romney First Lady Of The United States if they wish [[lol). Just pointing out that Claudette Robinson has long held the designation as The First Lady of Motown by everybody within the Motown organization up to and including today, and I believe that Martha herself would agree with that ascessment...

Roberta75
06-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Totally appreciate your admiration for your favorite artist Martha Reeves, and it's certainly your perogative to consider Martha or anyone else as The First Lady Of Motown, just as it's anyones perogative to call Ann Romney First Lady Of The United States if they wish [[lol). Just pointing out that Claudette Robinson has long held the designation as The First Lady of Motown by everybody within the Motown organization up to and including today, and I believe that Martha herself would agree with that ascessment...

Thank you kindly for your respectful reply stubass but Dr Martha Reeves will always be the first Lady of Motown Records in my herat and imo she is the greatest artist ever to come out of the Motowns label.

Respectfully yours.

Roberta

thisoldheart
06-13-2013, 05:38 PM
you've got to broaden your musical tastes, roberta! there are tons of great singers! it is unhealthy to become fixated on just one person ... kinda cult-like! but you do love dr. reeves and that is certainly your prerogative!!

blueskies
06-13-2013, 05:53 PM
I never quite got how Claudette became "The First Lady of Motown"? Not to diminish her work with the Miracles, but, she never sang lead on any hits and they never released any solo material on her that I'm aware of. It's like saying one of the Andantes is "First Lady of Motown"....they sang on more hits than anyone! I thought Mary Wells was considered "The First Lady of Motown"? Whatever. I think they're all great...whoever sits on the throne.

Roberta75
06-13-2013, 05:55 PM
you've got to broaden your musical tastes, roberta! there are tons of great singers! it is unhealthy to become fixated on just one person ... kinda cult-like! but you do love dr. reeves and that is certainly your prerogative!!

I have many other singers that I like and listen to and respect thisoldheart. I really like David Bowie and Dinah Washington and Smokey Robinson and Tim McGraw and Diane Ross and Stevie Wonder and Marvin gaye and Tammy Wynette and Dolly Parton and Justin Timberlake and Frank Sinatra and Bruno Marrs and Lou Rawls. I like all of them a lot and listen to them real often but nobody connect with me like the First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves. She will always be the greatest singer and the most graciou star and the most beautiful woman imo.

Roberta;)

supremester
06-13-2013, 05:58 PM
I think that Miss Ross should be the first lady as she has sold more records than all the ladies combined. Second, I vote Mary Wells as she was the first female star. Third is Martha because she had 6 top ten hits and provided an alternative to The Supremes for those who needed one. I have no problem with Claudette either, but, really, her contribution was far from essential.

jobeterob
06-13-2013, 06:21 PM
The First Lady of Motown is Mary Wells.

She is known by that title just as Aretha Franklin is the Queen of Soul. That is why it is Mary's title ~ because that is how people know her. Other people may have been there before her [[Claudette, Raynoma, Esther, Bertha) but Mary was the first female singer that had significant success at Motown and that's what gave her this title.

I love how Roberta is constantly supportive of Dr. Reeves and appreciate Roberta's kind words for her.

For me, I'd rather have the records and remember the Martha of My Baby Loves Me, Jimmy Mack, Nowhere to Run, In and Out of My Life, Benjamin, and Heat Wave.

About 1995, Martha's voice gave out from smoking or overuse or something and it's never been the same. But like Mary Wilson, Martha is always out there putting on a show and a performance and is well loved.

thomas96
06-13-2013, 06:34 PM
I never quite got how Claudette became "The First Lady of Motown"? Not to diminish her work with the Miracles, but, she never sang lead on any hits and they never released any solo material on her that I'm aware of. It's like saying one of the Andantes is "First Lady of Motown"....they sang on more hits than anyone! I thought Mary Wells was considered "The First Lady of Motown"? Whatever. I think they're all great...whoever sits on the throne.

No...it's Claudette who was there with Smokey and BG from day one [[and sang on every single Miracles recording). The Funk Brothers very first rehearsal was actually at Claudette house. She has been designated The First Lady Of Motown from the very beginning...

She was the first one there and Smokey had as much a part in this company as Berry [[In my opinion) and she was married to Smokey. I don't get why everyone here thinks 'first lady' should be the one who sold the most or is the biggest star or whatever. I agree with Stu, inside the company Claudette was always known as the 'First Lady...'

StuBass1
06-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Once again...it's not my granting Claudette that title...it's the 5 founding archetects of Motown, Berry Gordy Jr, Smokey Robinson, Eddie Holland, Robert Bateman, and Janie Bradford who from virtually day one had designated Claudette as The First Lady Of Motown. I suppose anyone can refer to their favorite female artist or executive as such, but I'll go with Motowns founders as the official word :D

jobeterob
06-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Interesting..............if you go plug in The First Lady of Motown on Google, the first references are to Mary Wells, but there are many many references to both Mary Wells and Claudette Robinson.

There is one reference to Esther Gordy.

antceleb12
06-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Interesting..............if you go plug in The First Lady of Motown on Google, the first references are to Mary Wells, but there are many many references to both Mary Wells and Claudette Robinson.

There is one reference to Esther Gordy.

Interesting...I just did the same thing, and the first that came up was Claudette!

Personally, we can argue that Cindy Birdsong was the First Lady of Motown for all I care, but each person who worked for Motown added a significant piece of the puzzle. So whether you're the First Lady, the Last Lady, or the 165th Lady, contributions speak louder than titles. :)

smark21
06-13-2013, 07:58 PM
LOL at a bunch of grown adults debating over who should hold the meaningless honorary title of “first lady of Motown”.

StuBass1
06-13-2013, 08:09 PM
If you read Berry Gordys autobiography you'll see that Mr Gordy himself proclaimed Claudette Robinson as the First Lady Of Motown. If anyone can present anyone else who would have more authority on all things Motown, let them speak now, or forever hold their peace...lol

StuBass1
06-13-2013, 08:12 PM
LOL at a bunch of grown adults debating over who should hold the meaningless honorary title of “first lady of Motown”.

Obviously, Berry Gordy did not consider this recognition meaningless in his "meaningless" book...but then again, I've never really been accused of being a grown adult either

Roberta75
06-13-2013, 10:06 PM
the First Lady of Motown Records will always be Dr Martha Reeves imo. She will always be the greatest singer and the greatest star and the greatest woman imo.

I respect all of your other coices but for me the title belong to Dr Martha Reeves.

Have a blessed evening.

Roberta

franjoy56
06-13-2013, 10:33 PM
the First Lady of Motown Records will always be Dr Martha Reeves imo. She will always be the greatest singer and the greatest star and the greatest woman imo.

I respect all of your other coices but for me the title belong to Dr Martha Reeves.

Have a blessed evening.

Roberta Just as you claim I have a fixation on Florence Ballard who could be the first lady of the Supremes, I concur with the others here you need to find other outlets to music, Martha was great in her day, but is not considered the first lady of Motown. Mary Wells is the first lady of Motown. Diana Ross is considered the Queen of Motown and this is based on their accomplishments, after 1967 Martha could not get a hit record on the top 10 charts after "Honey Chille" in Martha's defense she is generous she invited me to one of her shows in 1997 when I ran a girl group fan club, and she still sounded great. I am glad you feel Martha is the first lady of Motown that is your right but it is not so. and believe me I play music other than the Supremes/Flo, Jean, I love Mary J, Beyonce the O'Jays Elton John, Mary Wells, and on and on, and Flo will always have a special place in my heart. Enjoy your Martha fixation but she is not the first lady of MOTOWN.

Roberta75
06-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Just as you claim I have a fixation on Florence Ballard who could be the first lady of the Supremes, I concur with the others here you need to find other outlets to music, Martha was great in her day, but is not considered the first lady of Motown. Mary Wells is the first lady of Motown. Diana Ross is considered the Queen of Motown and this is based on their accomplishments, after 1967 Martha could not get a hit record on the top 10 charts after "Honey Chille" in Martha's defense she is generous she invited me to one of her shows in 1997 when I ran a girl group fan club, and she still sounded great. I am glad you feel Martha is the first lady of Motown that is your right but it is not so. and believe me I play music other than the Supremes/Flo, Jean, I love Mary J, Beyonce the O'Jays Elton John, Mary Wells, and on and on, and Flo will always have a special place in my heart. Enjoy your Martha fixation but she is not the first lady of MOTOWN.

You are being real petty tonight Frances. Whats the matter dear isnt that new man of yours paying you enough attention? im glad you play other music and dont spend all your time listening out for Flo Ballards voice on every supremes record you own.

You have yourself a fine evening my dear.

Fondly.

Roberta

franjoy56
06-14-2013, 12:21 AM
You are being real petty tonight Frances. Whats the matter dear isnt that new man of yours paying you enough attention? im glad you play other music and dont spend all your time listening out for Flo Ballards voice on every supremes record you own.

You have yourself a fine evening my dear.

Fondly.

Roberta No I was checking in on my SDF to see whats up, my personal life does not need any details, but in case your interested everything is just fine. Again we were talking about Martha not Florence, and I love her music, and again she is not the first lady of Motown, Mary "Bye, Bye Baby" Wells is, and Diana Ross is the Queen of Motown. Notice I did not mention Flo at all in this thread. Have a blessed evening with every Good wish!!!!

StuBass1
06-14-2013, 01:01 AM
Didn't mean time start a pissing match here, and you are all entitled to profess your admiration for your favorite artist and nobody can argue with your personal preferences. As a matter of fact, I included Martha Reeves [[Dancing In The Street), Mary Wells [[My Guy), and The Miracles with Claudette Robinson [[Going To A Go Go) in the selection of songs I put together to be played at the recent Funk Brothers Hollywood Walk Of Fame ceremony. I personally believe that Gladys Knight is the greatest female singer in the history of Motown...but that said...I'll go with Berry Gordy Jr who proclaimed Claudette Robinson as The First Lady Of Motown...

midnightman
06-14-2013, 01:47 AM
Claudette is the "First Lady".
Mary was "Miss Motown".
Diana is the "Queen of Motown".

That's just how I look at it now. :) Six years ago, I would've said Martha was the queen because at the time I was heavy into her. Now? Not so much LOL

Roberta75
06-14-2013, 04:01 AM
No I was checking in on my SDF to see whats up, my personal life does not need any details, but in case your interested everything is just fine. Again we were talking about Martha not Florence, and I love her music, and again she is not the first lady of Motown, Mary "Bye, Bye Baby" Wells is, and Diana Ross is the Queen of Motown. Notice I did not mention Flo at all in this thread. Have a blessed evening with every Good wish!!!!

Thank you my dear Frances. You do the same.

Roberta

jobeterob
06-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Probably Mary and Claudette both should wear the title, First Lady of Motown, for different but legitimate reasons.

jillfoster
06-15-2013, 12:49 AM
You took the words right out of my mind and mouth. I love Martha's legacy but find it difficult to hear her singing live these days.

Just not a good night or something. This one from 4 days ago sounds great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNCuvbIFShM

jillfoster
06-15-2013, 01:20 AM
Actually it wasn't a bad day, just bad sound, and the worst song of the set cherry picked for this thread. When you see it in better sound quality, the other songs sound fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec06Mkw73Js

midnightman
06-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Probably Mary and Claudette both should wear the title, First Lady of Motown, for different but legitimate reasons.

That's fair enough lol :)

marv2
06-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Just not a good night or something. This one from 4 days ago sounds great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNCuvbIFShM

This one is from Downtown Windsor. They sound fine to me.