PDA

View Full Version : Was Brenda Holloway Any Good?

test

marv2
10-16-2010, 07:34 PM
I think most of you know the name Brenda Holloway. She was a Motown solo artist in the sixties. She had a couple of records out, most notably "Every Little Bit Hurts". I enjoyed her doing that song, but what do we really know about her and her music?

jobeterob
10-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Biography
[edit] Early life and career
Born in Atascadero, California, the eldest of three children to Wade and Johnnie Mae [[Fossett) Holloway.[2] In 1948, she and her infant brother, Wade, Jr., moved with their parents to the Watts section of Los Angeles where Brenda took up violin and sang in her church choir. Her sister, Patrice, was born there three years later. At 14, she and sister Patrice began working on demonstration records and singing backup for Los Angeles-based R&B acts. In 1962, Holloway made her recording debut with the single, "Hey Fool". Two years later, she recorded the song that she would later be known for in the coming decades, "Every Little Bit Hurts".

[edit] The Motown years
After being overheard singing Mary Wells' "My Guy", Motown CEO Berry Gordy signed her to the label's Tamla imprint. For her first single, she was required to re-record "Every Little Bit Hurts," much to the budding singer-songwriter's chagrin. Released in May 1964, "Every Little Bit Hurts" became a hit for Holloway, reaching #13 on the Billboard Hot 100 and helping to win the singer a concert spot on Dick Clark's "Caravan of Stars" tour. Holloway followed "Every Little Bit Hurts" with the more modest "I Will Always Love You", before hitting the Top 40 again with the #25 pop hit, "When I'm Gone" [[written and produced by Smokey Robinson) and released shortly after Mary Wells' Motown contract expired; Wells had recorded "When I'm Gone" before Holloway.

After the success of "When I'm Gone," Motown provided Holloway with other songs that were originally recorded by Wells, including "Operator" and "I'll Be Available". Holloway became a fixture on several 1960s television programs including Shindig!, and was later asked by The Beatles to open for them on their US tour in 1965. Holloway performed in the first rock stadium concert at Shea Stadium for the Beatles as their opening act. Holloway was only one of three female acts who opened for the Beatles; the other two were Mary Wells and Jackie DeShannon. Despite her modest success, Holloway felt out of place at Motown. Being the first West Coast-based artist on the label, she also was one of the few female artists in Motown to write her own songs, and had a much grittier approach to songs than her contemporaries at the label. Between 1966 and early 1968, Holloway recorded a string of singles that were to be put on her second album, Hurtin' & Cryin', which was never officially released. Its first single was "Just Look What You've Done", which hit the Top 30 on the R&B chart. Its follow-up was "You've Made Me So Very Happy", was one of the few singles written by Holloway allowed to be released. The single peaked at number 39 on the pop chart and number 40 on the R&B chart. Holloway left Motown in 1968. A year later, Holloway received royalties for "You've Made Me So Very Happy" when Blood, Sweat & Tears took it to number 2 on the US pop chart and the Top 40 in the UK Singles chart. One year later, Holloway retired from performing.

[edit] Later years
Holloway married a pastor and left the music industry to become a housewife. During this period, she occasionally sang with her sister Patrice. In 1980, Holloway briefly emerged from retirement to record a gospel album. After Holloway and her husband were divorced, she returned to performing secular music in 1988, recording for the UK label Motorcity Records, which often released material of former Motown artists. In 1990 Holloway issued the album All It Takes. After the 1992 death of her friend Mary Wells, Holloway again emerged from retirement and resumed performing and recording. Her most recent album, My Love is Your Love, was released in 2003.

[edit] Discography
[edit] Albums
Every Little Bit Hurts [[1964)
The Artistry of Brenda Holloway [[1968)
All It Takes [[1990)
It's a Woman's World [[1999)
Together... [[Live) [[2000)
My Love Is Your Love [[2CD, 2003)
20th Century Masters [[2003)
Anthology [[Tamla-Motown) [[2005)

copley
10-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Brenda could have been the biggest female star at Motown but sadly BG & others let her down badly so she walked. She could sing anything from the sweetest ballads like 'Little Miss Loser' to upbeat stompers like 'Cryin' Time'. Brenda could also play the violin & piano. Her double CD 'The Motown Anthology' showcases most of her work plus there are a number of her songs on the four COMs. Ace release of Brenda's pre Motown years 'The Early Years-Rare Recordings 1962-1963' is also a treasure of delights.

midnight johnny
10-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Now I have heard foolish questions before, but....

motown_david
10-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Nope, Brenda isn't just any good, she is extremely good and very soulful. I've seen her several times over last 15 years or so on her forays to the UK and she has never disappointed. A very lovely lady who is stunningly beautiful with a voice to match.

Motown_M_1056
10-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Now I have heard foolish questions before, but....
I say consider the source of the question. When you do it's not surprising. He thinks Mary wilson was Motown's biggest female solo star.

Glenpwood
10-17-2010, 11:02 AM
If a current star like Alicia Keys thinks Brenda is worth covering I think that says volumes. No offense to Mary Wilson but I haven't heard Beyonce or Rihanna is cat fighting over covering I Keep It Hid or Floy Joy....

brother_love
10-17-2010, 01:18 PM
I saw Miss Holloway in concert just a few weeks ago and she's still got it. Brenda was one of Motown's best vocalists right along side with Gladys and Kim. They just never got the push and support they need from the company.

Was Brenda any good? She was better than good and still is to this day.

dickiemint
10-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Brenda Holloway is one of Motown's most underrated female stars, she has a massive following in the UK with the Northern Soul crowd, 'Reconsider' is one of the most popular tracks on the scene. When she played the Motown Weekender a couple of years back she was amazing, even singing songs she was not familiar with, reading the lyrics of scribbled sheets of paper, just to please the crowd, I even got the chance to meet her and she was really thrilled that there were so many UK fans supporting her and Kim Weston on that weekender.

phyl
10-17-2010, 04:55 PM
breneda hollway could sing her ass off shes a great singer.

luke
10-17-2010, 07:57 PM
brother--where did you see her a few week ago? I wish shed tour outside of California and the UK!

marv2
10-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Brenda should come to New York. I haven't seen her live a very long time. I always liked her version of "When I'm Gone" and "You Made Me So Very Happy".

soulster
10-17-2010, 08:45 PM
I love "Every Little Bit Hurts" and "Starting the Hurt All Over Again". I have her stereo greatest hits CD, but never really listened to it. Perhaps I will one of these days.

marv2
10-17-2010, 08:48 PM
I love "Every Little Bit Hurts" and "Starting the Hurt All Over Again". I have her stereo greatest hits CD, but never really listened to it. Perhaps I will one of these days.

Do you think she was a bit underrated as a vocalist?

soulster
10-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Oh definitely! I always thought she could do better at some other record company.

topdiva1
10-17-2010, 09:40 PM
She was great!!

robb_k
10-17-2010, 11:33 PM

I think most of you know the name Brenda Holloway. She was a Motown solo artist in the sixties. She had a couple of records out, most notably "Every Little Bit Hurts". I enjoyed her doing that song, but what do we really know about her and her music?

Yes, she was good, -very, very good. But she had a LOT more than "a couple" records out. She had 3 duets with Hal Davis, plus one as a member of The Watesians, plus about 5 singles on pre-Motown labels [[for Bob Keene), plus an album and 7-8 singles on Tamla Records, plus a single on Holland-Dozier-Holland's Music Merchant label. That doesn't include all her Motown and pre-Motown CD cuts which were not released on vinyl. "Love Woke Me Up This Morning" gives me the chills, it's so good.

arrr&bee
10-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Oh yes marv she was,this lady could do it all vocally and i think that berry just missed with her,his concentration on the supremes during that time i think sort of took his attention away from just how good brenda was,as much as i love mary wells brenda was better that's a fact!

luke
10-18-2010, 12:32 PM
If anything she has gotten even better. IMO she stole a PBS Motown show when she sang Every Little Bit Hurts/I Want You.

randy_russi
10-18-2010, 12:49 PM
She is and was a fantastic; highly underrated singer. So good that Berry is said to have had Diana listen to her singing
to take notice of Brenda's phrasing. She could've been and should've been a major talent. Truthfully, I think after
Mary Wells' surprising departure, Motown never again really backed a female artist with the exception of Diana's
solo career, of course.
Brenda recorded with Smokey some songs that had been intended for Mary, however, "When I'm Gone" and "I'll Be
Available", plus a remake of Mary's "Operator".

luke
10-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Brenda really takes off at 2:57 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzFn6-NC_b0

brother_love
10-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Luke, in answer to your question Brenda performed at the Auqa Lounge in Beverly Hills. Also featured on this show were Brenton Wood and Vermettya Royster. Spotted in the audience were Bobby Rogers, Claudette Robinson, G.C. Cameron, Miki Howard and Janie Bradford who hosted of this great evening.

supremesouluk2
10-18-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't have any of Brenda's Motown recordings [[Shame on me), but I do have quite a few of her Motorcity Records material and I certainly loved what I heard!

luke
10-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Oh brother, brother--I am sooooooooo envious!!

tallone
10-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Pound for pound, Brenda Holloway is still one of the best female vocalist out there. Too bad she did not get a real chance to showcase her talents back in the day, and that she retired way too early in her career.
Was she any good??? She is still VERY GOOD!!!

big_mac
10-19-2010, 06:08 AM
Was she any good? Probably the best! Listen to all the previously unreleased tracks, everyone a true Motown gem.

144man
10-19-2010, 07:58 AM
I could never [[and still can't) make up my mind as to whether Brenda Holloway or Kim Weston was my favorite Motown female artist. As much as I love the others, no one else comes close.

adrian
10-19-2010, 08:49 AM
I always liked her version of "You Made Me So Very Happy".

"You've Made Me So Very Happy"
Brenda's was the original version, released in 1967 on Tamla. She co-wrote it with her sister Patrice, Frank Wilson and Berry Gordy.

:o

luke
10-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Brenda said she preferred BSand T version but I prefer hers of Youve Made Me...I remember her doing it on the Hy Lit show in Phillly.

RossHolloway
10-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Does anyone know of any more unreleased or live recordings of Brenda? And can anyone speak on Brenda's brief time with HDH at Merchant Records?

blkfrost
10-19-2010, 03:27 PM
I prefer Brenda Holloway's versions of "Operator" and "I'll Be Available" over Mary Wells. She sings those songs in such an alluring manner that makes you want to play them over and over, which I do.

brother_love
10-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Does anyone know of any more unreleased or live recordings of Brenda? And can anyone speak on Brenda's brief time with HDH at Merchant Records?

There is still a lot of unreleased studio and live tracks. One of my favorite studio tracks is "Girl On The Run."

RossHolloway
10-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Brother_love wow. would love to hear that track..

marv2
10-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Brenda said she preferred BSand T version but I prefer hers of Youve Made Me...I remember her doing it on the Hy Lit show in Phillly.

Hy Lit, now there's a good memory. I use to listen to his show during my Philly Days. Wished we still had him.

luke
10-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Marv--is he deceased?

marv2
10-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Marv--is he deceased?

Yes unfortunately he died a couple of years ago. I heard that his son is in the business.

the_classic_master
10-21-2010, 11:51 PM

luke, how long did hy lit run on tv? i wish i could find a listing of who all performed on there! i have a few eppy's of that show and i would love to get my hands on some more.

midnightman
10-28-2010, 03:11 AM
It would help if y'all post videos lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LirUvntBrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSCc8gLAbM0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbAzTr6yyuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNJ_Acc7UPY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjya5JXsKdg [[and yes she recorded the original; it was recorded in 1967)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw2yNfx4NqI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtJsz1fnXSc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG_PSrMdk20

----
And how about this? Not only did Alicia Keys covered "Every Little Bit Hurts" but so did:
Teena Marie
The Jam
The Clash
The Small Faces
[[the latter groups from the UK and known for different kinds of music)
Stevie Winwood [[as member of the Spencer Davis Group)
Petula Clark [[YES Petula Clark covered the song)

Michael Jackson covered "You Can Cry on My Shoulder". The Tempts did a version of "You've Made Me So Very Happy" [[I think in its Blood, Sweat and Tears version).

Brenda co-wrote "You've Made Me So Very Happy" and some 27 years later, MISS ROSS covered it for Berry's tribute album.

Brenda also sung background on Joe Cocker's version of the Beatles' "With a Little Help From My Friends" with her sister Patricia [[who later co-starred in the cartoon series, "Josie and the Pussycats" and who is unfortunately no longer among the living).

Vivian Green [[contemporary R&B singer) later played Brenda singing "Every Little Bit Hurts" on the show "American Dreams". Oh yeah and some then struggling group called the Supremes initially wrote on her coattails while "Every Little Bit Hurts" became a hit prior to their "Where Did Our Love Go" becoming a hit lol

Uh, any more questions? LOL

midnightman
10-28-2010, 03:20 AM
Wildest things about Brenda was that she still hadn't reached EIGHTEEN when "Every Little Bit Hurts" established her. Also her being from L.A. made her kind of foreign in Motown. She was the first "outsider" so to speak prior to the Isley Brothers, Tammi Terrell and Gladys Knight joining the label.

Oh here's another thing you probably didn't know about: BRENDA HOLLOWAY OPENED FOR THE FRIGGING BEATLES DURING THEIR TOUR. Yep, after Mary Wells and Jackie DeShannon. There was footage but YouTube probably deleted it after it was flagged perhaps idk.

So yeah she was quite a big deal if only for a brief time. 1964 was a magical year. I'm sure Brenda's kinda reaping the benefits of the success of "You've Made Me So Very Happy". Something not too many of the Motown acts ever got to do during the glory years.

midnightman
10-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Here's Brenda performing "Every Little Bit Hurts" in 2005:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4s3N7xbqCM

midnightman
10-28-2010, 03:24 AM
If anything she has gotten even better. IMO she stole a PBS Motown show when she sang Every Little Bit Hurts/I Want You.

Actually that's "Distant Lover", not "I Want You". :) I posted the video. :)