PDA

View Full Version : Supremes in Oklahoma, November 1965 - query

test

keith_hughes
06-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Anybody here see the Supremes during their Oklahoma tour in November 1965? The author of an upcoming book has asked me about it. Memories would be greatly appreciated.

BayouMotownMan
06-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Anybody here see the Supremes during their Oklahoma tour in November 1965? The author of an upcoming book has asked me about it. Memories would be greatly appreciated.

Ye Gads, who's writing a book now?

captainjames
06-04-2013, 10:05 PM
sorry I don't remember this one.

marybrewster
06-05-2013, 09:08 AM
LOL.

How big is Oklahoma that the Supremes did a tour there?

marybrewster
06-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Here is a link for a newspaper article from the Ada Evening News; Ada, OK, November 11, 1965:

http://newspaperarchive.com/ada-evening-news/1965-11-11/page-10

marybrewster
06-05-2013, 09:16 AM
""There's A Place For Us", an LP not yet released, will include the ballads they now feel old enough to sing."

keith_hughes
06-05-2013, 10:37 AM
That's a sweet quote, Mary! Unfortunately, I can't read this page with my failing eyesight, and it will cost me $19.95 to see it any bigger, apparently. Can you tell whether Earl Van Dyke appeared as the opening act?

I heard Oklahoma is enormous, but my knowledge of it is restricted to appearing in the chorus of an amateur production of the musical - which took place, by a curious co-incidence, at about the same time as the Supremes were appearing there. I don't think that will be featured in the book.

carole cucumber
06-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Keith,
I assume that you should be able to enlarge the article for free as I just did. Note the [[upper right quadrant) yellow search engine. Immediately beneath it should be a smaller reproduction of the entire page. Beneath that should be 3 symbols :a return [[left and right curved arrows joined to make a circle) , an increase [[+) and decrease [[-) icon.
Click on the increase icon to enlarge the print and use your mouse to drag the[[oversized) page over from left to right to read the article.

Or...
merely trust my word that the article does not even mention that the Supremes were appearing in Oklahoma . It mentions the 65 Copa, Holland/England, college tours and New York Philharmonic Hall. It then jumps to 1966 dates [[Copa: March 3-16; Vietnam tour: January 6-22; San Francisco's Fairmont Hotel: May 19-June 8; Las Vegas debut [Flamingo Hotel] September 29-October 19.

keith_hughes
06-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks Carole, that worked a treat. According to the tentative tour itinerary I now have to hand, it looks like they may have played Memphis that night [[the 11th), but on the 12th they moved on to Oklahoma's second-largest city. Yes, folks: at that point they were only 24 hours from Tulsa ... ahem ... this is a serious query, really, if anyone actually knows whether Earl Van Dyke & Co were on that tour, I'd like to know.

luke
06-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Compared to the Beatles, Stones, Elvis many less books about the Supremes. Actually only two about just the group and not individuals.