PDA

View Full Version : New Cheerios cereal ad sparks controversy and racism

test

soulster
06-04-2013, 12:36 AM
General Mills released this new commercial [[http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500395_162-57587233/cheerios-commerical-with-mixed-race-couple-draws-attention/) last week, and it has a few morons upset.

I love it, and would love to see more of this type of thing on ads and TV shows.

I know a lot of you have no problem with gays, and many of you are Christian, and many of you like The President, so you should have no problem with this...right?

http://youtu.be/kYofm5d5Xdw

thomas96
06-04-2013, 12:46 AM
What is it, do you have a link?

soulster
06-04-2013, 01:19 AM
What is it, do you have a link? Click on the word "commercial" in my first post. It's a hyperlink.

Jerry Oz
06-04-2013, 10:10 AM
It's sad that they had to disable comments on YouTube because America is still, well, America when it comes to some things. Decades after the Lovings and we still have segregated school proms and backlash against a commercial featuring a black man, a white woman, and a child [[I intentionally left "mixed" out of that statement). I wonder how much different the reaction would be if it were a white man with a black wife, though...

nosey
06-04-2013, 11:43 AM
That's a beautiful commercial. Didn't he play Otis in the Temptations movie? I digress.

soulster
06-04-2013, 12:24 PM
I wonder how much different the reaction would be if it were a white man with a black wife, though...
None. It's very common to see a white man and a Black woman. People still have thoughts about a big'ol Black "buck" having sex with a "pure" White woman. The child a Black man has with a White woman is proof of that sex. That's why President Obama bothers so many white folk. He reminds then that a Black man, an African, at that, dared to have sex with an attractive white woman.

I remember about ten years ago when all kinds of white people kept trying to say there was no such thing as racism anymore, and that it was only black people keeping it alive. Since the rise of the tea-baggers, all that kind of talk has disappeared because they know the truth. It's staring them in the face.

Jerry Oz
06-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Not just that, Soulster, but the internet allows everybody to put on their klan robes in anonymity. I once wondered if the net brought out the fakeness of people, who would type and post things that they'd never say in person. Someone convinced me that it actually brought out the truth in those people because they didn't have to hide their true selves. Nothing has changed, only the consequences for those who get caught and called out are different. Or as someone once stated to me: "I'd hate to imagine what things I'd be capable of without the constraint of law". Thanks to screen names and a lack of public face, we see it everyday from many.

soulster
06-04-2013, 02:23 PM
I hate to keep bringing it back to the President, but it all fits. As soon as Obama beat out Hilary Clinton, I saw the virtual sheets and hoods come out of the closet, and I even had people say disgusting things to my face. It was that way right before the last election, too. Maybe it's a good thing we do have the internet as a safety valve for these people.

thomas96
06-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Click on the word "commercial" in my first post. It's a hyperlink.

Oh I see. Thanks, I guess I need to be more up to date with my technology! As for the commercial, I agree I think it's a great commercial. The fact that there's any controversy about this is absurd.

smark21
06-06-2013, 08:09 PM
I hate to keep bringing it back to the President, but it all fits. As soon as Obama beat out Hilary Clinton, I saw the virtual sheets and hoods come out of the closet, and I even had people say disgusting things to my face. It was that way right before the last election, too. Maybe it's a good thing we do have the internet as a safety valve for these people.

The medical term for the condition you describe is “Obama Derangement Syndrome”.

soulster
06-07-2013, 04:06 AM
The medical term for the condition you describe is “Obama Derangement Syndrome”.
Exactly! The real term is more like Paranoid Schizophrenia.

splanky
06-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Soulster, I know this must really have struck a nerve with you because you are a black man
who in real life is married to a white woman but knowing that racial discrimination in this
country has existed over hundreds of years I don't understand people believing it would have completely disappeared in one single day...The President, Vice Prez, House and Senate could all be black or Hispanic or Japanese for that matter and racism will live on
somewhere!...

Jerry Oz
06-07-2013, 12:12 PM
It's everywhere you go. The Hutu and Tutsis look like each other [[to me, anyway), yet they hate each other. The Serbs, Croatians, and Bosnians waited decades until Tito died to revisit centuries of built up hatred and began ethnically cleansing their parts of what was Yugoslavia. Kids in different parts of Belfast took beat downs because of the way the pronounced the letter "H", which tipped them off to where new kids came from and if not from the right side of town...

If everybody was the same color of green, we'd still find some reason to put someone down. They're fat. They're tall. They smile too much. They're gay. They wear a turban. It doesn't matter how stoopid the reason, so long as there's a reason. Lazy people are just more than happy to settle on skin color.

marv2
06-08-2013, 06:38 AM
It's sad that they had to disable comments on YouTube because America is still, well, America when it comes to some things. Decades after the Lovings and we still have segregated school proms and backlash against a commercial featuring a black man, a white woman, and a child [[I intentionally left "mixed" out of that statement). I wonder how much different the reaction would be if it were a white man with a black wife, though...

There was an automobile commerical that ran last year on Canadian television [[CBC) that depicted a family, white father, black mother and interracial little girl. The little girl was kicking the seat from behind while on a trip. The purpose was to show how comfortable the vehicle was regardless of her actions. No big deal was ever made of it.

skooldem1
06-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Some of the most vocal haters of interracial [[black man, white woman) relationships are black women. All the hate cannot be put on white people or republicans.

Jerry Oz
06-09-2013, 01:42 AM
Some of the most vocal haters of interracial [[black man, white woman) relationships are black women. All the hate cannot be put on white people or republicans.
This is true. The reaction that Spike Lee received after making "School Daze" and "Bamboozled" was telling. Lots of black folks do not like to discuss how cruelly we treat each other. With words like "high yellow" [[and others), we are no less savage than those who are normally cast in the traditional role of oppressor.

soulster
06-09-2013, 04:34 AM
Very true. They blame the reason many Black women are alone because they say the "good" Black men chase the White women, or White women steal the "good ones". Well, this tell me that it is the Black women who have the problem, They set impossibly high goals that pretty much disqualifies all men without a huge bank account.

Yeah, I said it. I opened that can-o-worms!

soulster
06-09-2013, 04:39 AM
This is true. The reaction that Spike Lee received after making "School Daze" and "Bamboozled" was telling. Lots of black folks do not like to discuss how cruelly we treat each other. With words like "high yellow" [[and others), we are no less savage than those who are normally cast in the traditional role of oppressor. Other races and ethnicity do the same thing. Light-skinned Mexicans that are closer to the European Spaniards don't think much of the darker-skinned Aztec descendants. Can we blame the White European for this emphasis on skin color?

splanky
06-09-2013, 09:26 AM
As far as black women opposed to black male choices, I have to say 1) it's a 2 way street and
2) sometimes it's understandable. It sounds to me like some just like to bash black women
but the fact of the matter is there are just as many black men who criticise black women for
"dating that white boy". Cuts both ways. Then I say it's understandable because of the true
history of race in this country and the larger world. White Europeans did indeed attack ,
capture and enslave millions of black people and justify it by the concept of race. That
was real, something that actually happened so to people who can only think of others in
reference to their racial identity it makes no sense at all that someone can be attracted to
someone of a group that has historially oppressed and exploited them. But neither love
or sheer lust follow a rule book , yesterday is not now and people are not individually their
group. Not even those that have made a conscious decision to always try to represent
what they concieve is that group's ideal, i.e. Klansmen. Besides there are not a people on
the planet that don't retain some practice or belief within their culture they'd be better off
letting go of. As a black man I'm less concerned with what those other than my race think
of me than I am with what my own people sometimes do to themselves and each other
every day. A lot of shit needs to stop....

marv2
06-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Ok now check this out! This is the commercial I was referring to in my post above. It ran fairly regularly on Canadian television [[where I first saw it) last year and no big deal was made about it. I wonder why? I wonder if America is simply more racist compared to other countries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwC8ijpf5Jk

Kamasu_Jr
06-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Someone said they are waiting for a commercial that features a same sex couple. OWN still airs the Cheerios commercial. When I first saw it, I didn't notice it featured an interracial couple and their child. I thought the white woman was a nanny.

soulster
06-09-2013, 02:18 PM
As far as black women opposed to black male choices, I have to say 1) it's a 2 way street and
2) sometimes it's understandable. It sounds to me like some just like to bash black women
but the fact of the matter is there are just as many black men who criticise black women for
"dating that white boy". Cuts both ways. Then I say it's understandable because of the true
history of race in this country and the larger world. White Europeans did indeed attack ,
capture and enslave millions of black people and justify it by the concept of race. That
was real, something that actually happened so to people who can only think of others in
reference to their racial identity it makes no sense at all that someone can be attracted to
someone of a group that has historially oppressed and exploited them. But neither love
or sheer lust follow a rule book , yesterday is not now and people are not individually their
group. Not even those that have made a conscious decision to always try to represent
what they concieve is that group's ideal, i.e. Klansmen. Besides there are not a people on
the planet that don't retain some practice or belief within their culture they'd be better off
letting go of. As a black man I'm less concerned with what those other than my race think
of me than I am with what my own people sometimes do to themselves and each other
every day. A lot of shit needs to stop.... I agree! But, to be honest, I have never heard a Black man criticize a Black Man/White woman union except for my father. He used to say that the White Man prostitutes some of their women to manipulate Black men....and then he turned around and married one after my mom divorced him!

As a Black man, I don't even care what Blacks think about me. I grew up in what could be considered "White" culture, meaning a White town. Sure, there are Black women around, but I just don't click with them. That racial cultural barrier is there. It's getting better, but I am not part of the younger generation.

soulster
06-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Someone said they are waiting for a commercial that features a same sex couple. OWN still airs the Cheerios commercial. When I first saw it, I didn't notice it featured an interracial couple and their child. I thought the white woman was a nanny. There is also the perception or expectation on the part of the viewer. ;)

Jerry Oz
06-09-2013, 02:57 PM
I saw a news story a month or so ago where a black man owned a successful welding business in spite of few of us in that industry. He told a story of how a white guy came in, saw him and his two employees [[one white, one hispanic) and approached the white guy. He shook his hand and greeted him with "Hello, Joe." The white guy told him that he wasn't Joe, so the customer approached the hispanic guy with the same greeting. After being told that he wasn't Joe either, the customer approached the actual Joe [[the black owner) and asked him to have Joe call him when he came in. Change comes slowly.

soulster
06-09-2013, 05:45 PM
I saw a news story a month or so ago where a black man owned a successful welding business in spite of few of us in that industry. He told a story of how a white guy came in, saw him and his two employees [[one white, one hispanic) and approached the white guy. He shook his hand and greeted him with "Hello, Joe." The white guy told him that he wasn't Joe, so the customer approached the hispanic guy with the same greeting. After being told that he wasn't Joe either, the customer approached the actual Joe [[the black owner) and asked him to have Joe call him when he came in. Change comes slowly.
Can you link that story to me?

Jerry Oz
06-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Can you link that story to me?
www.blackenterprise.com/black-enterprise-report

Sorry that I can't figure out how to paste a link on my kindle, but it's on Black Enterprise's website. If you can't find it, let me know and I will forward it to you from my laptop later. Look up J.L. Welding.

soulster
06-09-2013, 11:56 PM
www.blackenterprise.com/black-enterprise-report [[http://www.blackenterprise.com/black-enterprise-report)

Sorry that I can't figure out how to paste a link on my kindle, but it's on Black Enterprise's website. If you can't find it, let me know and I will forward it to you from my laptop later. Look up J.L. Welding. I couldn't find it.

Jerry Oz
06-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Forgot a word. Here it is: http://www.blackenterprise.com/black-enterprise-business-report/

It should be the video that comes up first [[the first segment is about the CEO of Sam's Club).

marv2
06-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Brace yourselves, there is another one that involves NBA star Allen Iverson on the the way.......

splanky
06-10-2013, 09:02 AM
soulster said:
As a Black man, I don't even care what Blacks think about me. I grew up in what could be considered "White" culture, meaning a White town. Sure, there are Black women around, but I just don't click with them. That racial cultural barrier is there.

I care about how black people are living today. I care about black music, literature and culture and all of the changes over the years. I have dated chinese, japanese hispanic and
I spent a year in a country where there were almost no black women and you know I wasn't
just using my hand. But so what? You come off as a black man who stereotypes black
women yet is upset with white men who stereotypes all black men....Later..

soulster
06-10-2013, 12:51 PM
You come off as a black man who stereotypes black
women yet is upset with white men who stereotypes all black men....Later.. Well, you're wrong. I have sisters who have the "attitude", and have met enough Black women with the same attitude. I have issues with everyone out there. I mentioned that side of it because of the nature of this thread.

Later...

Jerry Oz
06-10-2013, 02:11 PM
No need to generalize. Most of the black women I know do not have "the attitude". I don't acquaint myself with the ones who do, and there are plenty with whom I'm acquainted.

Sometimes we see what we expect to see, but that's a poor reason to assume that everybody is funky because you've known some funky people. If I took that approach, I wouldn't talk to anyone of any race, gender, age group, or religion because I've known folks with one funky attitude or another toward me [[without even knowing me!) from every one of the U.S. government's protected classes.

F*ck 'em.

But, with that said, I haven't been where any of you has been or walked in your shoes, so if you are willing to cast anyone in the same light as others, God bless you; it's your right. But it is kind of a trip to have a problem with others with the same particular myopic social view.

soulster
06-10-2013, 10:48 PM
No need to generalize. Most of the black women I know do not have "the attitude". I don't acquaint myself with the ones who do, and there are plenty with whom I'm acquainted. I did not generalize. I said of the ones I know and have met. But, here's the thing; why should I, or anyone, go out of their way to hook up with someone of their own race? It also gets sillier when you consider how interracial so many people are, genetically and culturally. If a White person seeks a White partner, we think of it as a negative thing. But, if a Black person seeks out only other Blacks for a mate, that is suppose to be positive? That's a double standard. It's gotta be one or the other.

Sometimes we see what we expect to see, but that's a poor reason to assume that everybody is funky because you've known some funky people. If I took that approach, I wouldn't talk to anyone of any race, gender, age group, or religion because I've known folks with one funky attitude or another toward me [[without even knowing me!) from every one of the U.S. government's protected classes. I don't look for a woman with religious convictions because I know my beliefs is in direct conflict with what she will believe in.

But, with that said, I haven't been where any of you has been or walked in your shoes...[/QUOTE]
Thank you!

Jerry Oz
06-11-2013, 08:11 AM
I think you misunderstood my intention in my post. God bless you for whatever makes you happy. I am not in position to judge you, so I will not do that here or anywhere else. I only expressed that I didn't write off anyone without knowing them, not that you should go out of your way to meet and acquaint yourself with anyone because you share the same skin color.

With that said, I am happy that in 2013, there are so many beautiful women of all races [[partial to black and asian women, but that's just me...). I'm happy for anyone who can find someone with whom they can share their life, I don't care who the seeker is, who they find, or how narrow their scope of interest may be.

splanky
06-11-2013, 09:02 AM
As far as the "attitude" thing, I think we've all seen it in a number of women who are not
black, I mean look for example at the current day celebrities. Paris Hilton just reeks of it!
but after some more thought about some points mentioned in this thread I will say there
are certain types of women of my own people I barely tolerate coming into contact with
even when it's unavoidable. I too have relatives I can't stand to be around so I take your
point, soulster. I'm glad that I got to enjoy the different types of women I did in my youth,
some of which seem to not even exist anymore I must admit. I've always had a weakness for
down home very domestic country girls. Mostly black but I've known some white ones too.
Which brings me to your statement about white male choices. I don't know that anyone thinks of white men wanting white women as a negative thing. The rage about blondes is
too evident of the opposite. Also I have to say to Jerry, don't get me started on Asian women:)!...Hmmmmm..........

soulster
06-11-2013, 04:35 PM
As far as the "attitude" thing, I think we've all seen it in a number of women who are not
black, I mean look for example at the current day celebrities. Paris Hilton just reeks of it!
but after some more thought about some points mentioned in this thread I will say there
are certain types of women of my own people I barely tolerate coming into contact with
even when it's unavoidable. I too have relatives I can't stand to be around so I take your
point, soulster. I'm glad that I got to enjoy the different types of women I did in my youth,
some of which seem to not even exist anymore I must admit. I've always had a weakness for
down home very domestic country girls. Mostly black but I've known some white ones too.
Which brings me to your statement about white male choices. I don't know that anyone thinks of white men wanting white women as a negative thing. The rage about blondes is
too evident of the opposite. Also I have to say to Jerry, don't get me started on Asian women:)!...Hmmmmm..........

Well, I always preferred the "girl next door' type. Don't give me no girlie-girl or skinny thang in hi-heels and looks like a hooker. I don't like that. I want someone who can just be herself, and is nerdy...with glasses! She can wear sweats and a t-shirt, just as long as she's also my buddy. A man and his woman should be best buddies.

Frankly, I don't care what race or ethnicity a woman is if I find what I want. But, as it turns out, and maybe it's just part of the culture/part of the country I grew up and live in, I am just partial to White and very American Hispanic women. And, I dig brunettes and brown hair. I was never too crazy about blondes, although, if what I want in a woman just happens to be one, so be it. If I find a Black woman with what I want, so be it! Most Japanese or Korean women just don't do it for me. Neither do Nordic women. It probably looks bad to sound picky, but women do it. Women are very picky, and men should be more picky. If people were, I think we'd have happier couples.

Kamasu_Jr
06-12-2013, 01:36 AM
Ain't nothing as wonderful as black love. I was free to marry whoever I wanted. But I chose a black woman, a strong black woman with a sassy attitude that churns my butter. She knows what I'm talking about and often knows what I'm thinking. We relate. We are buddies, lovers and best friends.

soulster
06-12-2013, 01:58 AM
If you forget about all the superficial stuff like race and skin color, it really all boils down to personalities and physical attractiveness.

splanky
06-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Ain't nothing as wonderful as black love. I was free to marry whoever I wanted. But I chose a black woman, a strong black woman with a sassy attitude that churns my butter. She knows what I'm talking about and often knows what I'm thinking. We relate. We are buddies, lovers and best friends.

Kam, man I hear you loud and clear ...I had that and I lost it but that was like 100 years ago...
too many things have happened since...

soulster,you say you don't care what race or ethnicity she is in one breath and in another
you say she should be white....you tell us to forget skin color but you haven't...I know you're
married to a white woman and I have no squabble with that but ?...have you ever had
a relationship with a black woman in your entire life?...

Jerry Oz
06-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Splanky, he's already answered that in this post and others. He grew up around white people and culturally, he identifies more with them than black people. His interaction with black folk has been limited and for the most part, black women that he has met [[including his sisters) do not appeal to him. It's understandable if you consider it. I've been born and raised in the black middle class and the people that I'm comfortable around are those in my social circle, not just those who happen to be black.

My wife actually was from a lower economic background than I, but we click. I met her at a nightclub that was 100% filled to capacity with black people. Had she been a white woman at the same club, at the same night, it's entirely possible that she would still be my wife, not because of her race, but because we shared enough to be married for 22+ years [[and counting).

Consequently, we all have the traits we desire in a mate embossed in us over the course of growing up. What we see, we either love or hate. Soulster loves that with which he is familiar and that's all good. With that said, I don't think he helps his cause for justifying his choices by pointing out the negative aspects of those he doesn't choose. He doesn't have to justify anything.

soulster
06-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Kam, man I hear you loud and clear ...I had that and I lost it but that was like 100 years ago...
too many things have happened since...

soulster,you say you don't care what race or ethnicity she is in one breath and in another
you say she should be white....you tell us to forget skin color but you haven't...I know you're
married to a white woman and I have no squabble with that but ?...have you ever had
a relationship with a black woman in your entire life?...
Hey, man, please re-read what I wrote. No where did I say that she should be white.

No, I never had a relationship with a Black woman. I dated one in high school, but it didn't work because of the cultural difference. I'm sure it's not too hard for you guys to understand culture.

soulster
06-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Splanky, he's already answered that in this post and others. He grew up around white people and culturally, he identifies more with them than black people. His interaction with black folk has been limited and for the most part, black women that he has met [[including his sisters) do not appeal to him. It's understandable if you consider it. I've been born and raised in the black middle class and the people that I'm comfortable around are those in my social circle, not just those who happen to be black.

My wife actually was from a lower economic background than I, but we click. I met her at a nightclub that was 100% filled to capacity with black people. Had she been a white woman at the same club, at the same night, it's entirely possible that she would still be my wife, not because of her race, but because we shared enough to be married for 22+ years [[and counting).

Consequently, we all have the traits we desire in a mate embossed in us over the course of growing up. What we see, we either love or hate. Soulster loves that with which he is familiar and that's all good. With that said, I don't think he helps his cause for justifying his choices by pointing out the negative aspects of those he doesn't choose. He doesn't have to justify anything. Thanks, Jerry. You nailed it. But, I don't have a cause, i'm just stating what works for me.

We all choose what we are comfortable with.

Most talk about multi-culturalism, but what about actually living multi-culturally? Most of us still don't. We taste here and there, and maybe respect it, but, it really is all lip service. Why? because we usually can't live it. Most of us are raised one way or the other, despite our family associations.

When people say they were raised in a "Black" "Mexican", or "White" family, what exactly is that supposed to mean? We usually mean something closer to a stereotype that we accept and embrace. Now, Kam, I'm not calling you out, i'm just using your words as an example here: If Kam tells us that he has a "strong, Black" woman who has a "sassy" attitude, that actually conjures up an image of a stereotype. The underlying message to me is that it is something, as a Black man, I should desire too, and anything else is unacceptable. You never hear anyone say that they have a "strong White" woman who has a sassy attitude. What kind of image foe that put in your head? What about substituting "firey Mexican" woman? Do you want a "fiery" Japanese woman? Does that Black woman get tired of being strong? Does the man get tired of his Mexican woman being fiery? What does that Japanese woman think about submissiveness? If I say I like nerdy, next door-type girls, what does that tell you?

Kamasu_Jr
06-12-2013, 05:43 PM
I meant that I like my woman spicey. I like a woman who will challenge me especially if I'm wrong. I don't want a mousey woman, jumping everytime I tell her to jump.Most brothers I know with white women, run all kind of games on them because they don't know the deal. My wife has a great sense of humor- like me. I once thought I was a nerd or into something different that most Black women would not understand. But I met the right one for me and knew I had to get her. I don't see closing your mind to whoever turns you on. It just takes meeting the right one and realizing it. Damn what you think are inadequacies. Where I thought I once had no rap , I quickly knew what to say to get this woman. She made me fly.

soulster
06-12-2013, 06:51 PM
I meant that I like my woman spicey. I like a woman who will challenge me especially if I'm wrong. I don't want a mousey woman, jumping everytime I tell her to jump.Most brothers I know with white women, run all kind of games on them because they don't know the deal. My wife has a great sense of humor- like me. I once thought I was a nerd or into something different that most Black women would not understand. But I met the right one for me and knew I had to get her. I don't see closing your mind to whoever turns you on. It just takes meeting the right one and realizing it. Damn what you think are inadequacies. Where I thought I once had no rap , I quickly knew what to say to get this woman. She made me fly.

Just going by your words, I can tell you are immersed in urban or Black culture. I am not, and have never been. The best I can do to stay abreast of what the mindset is, is to read The Grio, and listen to Joe Madison and Al Sharpton. LOL! I'm here in the southwest where the Black population is something like 4%.

I love to be challenged. I like easy-going women who don't stress me out, but can still be very passionate about things. I have been with women who were ADHD, and they were a nightmare for me. So, we are talking about descriptors, but I interpret "spicy" to mean high strung and stress-inducing. Sorry if I am wrong about that.

I am not like the Black men you have met, and that is not the majority of Black men with non-Black women I know. I don't like or want submissive, mousey women. They frustrate me. They are usually uncommunicative and passive-aggressive. That is not what I am used to. My mother and sisters were challenging people, and that's what I like. I'd rather have a women consistently kick my butt at chess than to let me win. It makes me want to step up my game. [[Remember, i'm a nerd, and I like nerdy women...with glasses) :)

I don't run games on any women of any race, color, or creed. That is not my personality and not how I was raised, and it is a stereotype that black men only want white women because they think that's what they are about. I will say that I have been turned down by both black and white women because I wasn't "black" enough. I don't fit the stereotype. And, I wouldn't want to be with anyone who thinks like that, anyway.

I don't close myself off to some women. It is who I meet on a daily basis, and don't believe one should only look for someone in their own race just because of what society says we should do. I can only tell you what appeals to me.

Kamasu_Jr
06-12-2013, 11:29 PM
I know a few black women who are nerds and they wear glasses. They were raised in urban environments, but they like chess, science, technology and listen to rock music more than soul. Some of them have dated outside their race, but they are open to all kinds of men. But as Jerry Oz pointed out, it's about who you are comfortable with.

soulster
06-13-2013, 02:05 AM
I know a few black women who are nerds and they wear glasses. They were raised in urban environments, but they like chess, science, technology and listen to rock music more than soul. Some of them have dated outside their race, but they are open to all kinds of men. But as Jerry Oz pointed out, it's about who you are comfortable with. If they are really cute and aren't religious, all good for me.

Jerry Oz
06-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Kam & Soulster, my advice to you: Never trust a big butt and a smile.

antceleb12
06-13-2013, 11:22 AM
I once wondered if the net brought out the fakeness of people, who would type and post things that they'd never say in person.

I think the word you're looking for is "cowardice!" All of these so-called "patriots" out there on the net who claim to be so protective of their nation wouldn't dare say these things in public.

At my university, Towson in Baltimore, there was recently a huge uproar among the community when a "White Student Union" arose to combat the already-present Black Student Union. The BSU is a Towson-affiliated organization, and it's purpose is to celebrate black culture - and does NOT exclude other ethnicities from joining. The WSU, on the other hand, is a non-Towson affiliated student group [[although they like to claim they are). They claim to celebrate European culture, but all they have been doing is discussing how integration has led to a "White genocide" and that slavery is a good idea. And this putrid vile is coming from select educated youth who live in Baltimore and go to a liberal school.

It just goes to show that just because legal segregation is gone from our nation, racism is just as present. It's terribly sad. What's also sad is that as soon as I saw that commercial, I knew that there would be some backlash from all of the internet Grand Dragons out there...

soulster
06-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Kam & Soulster, my advice to you: Never trust a big butt and a smile.
Some butts can be too big!

soulster
06-13-2013, 11:36 AM
The commercial is now running on CBS during The Young And The Restless, at least. Let's see if CBS gets any backlash, and if they will cower to the racists.

Jerry Oz
06-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Ummm....

Errrr...

[[Awkward silence)

You're watching "The Young and the Restless"?:eek:

soulster
06-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Ummm....

Errrr...

[[Awkward silence)

You're watching "The Young and the Restless"?:eek: Yeah. I have since the mid-80s. My mother and father did too. Never miss an episode. Gotta problem with it?

Kamasu_Jr
06-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Guys, many men watch soap operas, especially black men. I did a story on this and got men to admit they watched the stories or the soaps. One reason is many black men were raised by women and their mothers, grandmothers and aunts watched the soaps, so a lot of boys or men watched to just to have something in common with the women in their households. A lot of men work third shift so they are home during the day and they watch judge shows, talk shows and soap operas. I don't watch soaps, but I watch reality TV shows and some of them have lots of "drama " going on which is a characteristic of the soaps.

soulster
06-14-2013, 05:02 PM
That's right! I used to work graveyards unloading trucks. The main reason I got into them was because my mother had me tape them while she was at work. Then I got into them.

When you think about it, they are no different than the prime-time shoes like "Dallas" or "Knots Landing" were in their day. And, I watched "Melrose Place" in the 90s. So what? Big deal!

The only person who vocally had a problem with my watching soaps was an ex-girlfriend She wondered why a grown man would watch them, as she was married to a Black man once, then had a Mexican boyfriend. She was all into traditional roles. She wondered why I would want to watch someone else's drama on TV when there is so much in life. Well, she was a drama queen herself, and loved chick flicks. Go figure.:rolleyes:

The reason my father started watching them is because he was retired with nothing to do. His favorite character was Victor Newman, and, he actually acted like that character in real life, vindictiveness and everything.

The other stereotype is that only gay guys watch them. Nope! Lots of we straight men watch them.

I don't watch them to be close to women or anything like that, I watch them because of the story lines. Period.

Jerry Oz
06-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Yeah. I have since the mid-80s. My mother and father did too. Never miss an episode. Gotta problem with it?
Yeah, I gotta problem with it. Kids are confused already without men watching women's shows. You need to turn in your man card.

Jerry Oz
06-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Nah, I am just kidding. I watched "Young and the Restless" [[RIP Kate Chancellor) and "As the World Turns" faithfully when I was in college. I just wanted to stir you up.

soulster
06-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Nah, I am just kidding. I watched "Young and the Restless" [[RIP Kate Chancellor) and "As the World Turns" faithfully when I was in college. I just wanted to stir you up.

I guess I gave up my man card when I proudly admitted that I don't follow any sports. I don't even watch the Stupid...er...Super Bowl.

No, you didn't stir me up, but I have met so many people with old-fashioned notions that I just automatically react.

arrr&bee
06-15-2013, 02:45 PM
You youngsters,when i was a kid,the women in my family watched soaps on the radio....no remote either!!!

Kamasu_Jr
06-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Very true Jerry Oz. Men do watch the soaps. Aaron Neville was a fan of All My Children. No one is gonna call him a sissy and walk away with both legs intact. Sammy Davis Jr. watched soaps. As do a lot of NBA players. Soulster, I have a short attention span. I can't sit for hours either watching sports on TV. I'd rather see a game live. When I'm home, I'm doing other things. I have a friend who is the same way.

soulster
06-15-2013, 07:54 PM
The definition of masculinity is changing, though. Problem is, I live in a very red state, and, like everything else, the red states are lagging behind the rest of the first world. In other words, they're still issuing man cards around here if you keep your TV set on ESPN, eat lots of steak, drive a Dodge Ram and a Harley, and own a gun.

Kamasu_Jr
06-16-2013, 03:27 PM
I agree, the definition of masculinity is changing. The south is traditional, but men do things at home-- behind closed doors that they don't admit. Me being born in the Seventies, my mom was a feminist. She did take time off from school to have me and she supported my dad while he earned his undergraduate degree. But when she decided to return to school for her degree, she turned the responsibility of caring for me over to my dad. He had to cook, clean house and look after me. So I'm doing some of the same things he did with me with my sons. I cook if my 'wwife isn't home and care for them.

soulster
06-16-2013, 09:53 PM
I was born in the early 60s, but, for the most part, I am glad the time has come where men can truly start just being themselves, and damn whatever anyone else thinks. We really don't have to live up to any stereotypes, publicly or privately. And, if I meet anyone who thinks old-fashioned, I don't deal with them.

soulster
07-17-2013, 08:47 PM
This is interesting:
http://youtu.be/VifdBFp5pnw

nosey
07-18-2013, 12:01 PM
I was president of my neighborhood civic association at one time and we had our general membership meetings once a month on Wednesday nights. Well I adjourned our meeting @ 8:30p because Alexis and Krystle were going to fight that night and the motion was moved and seconded in record time. LOL!

soulster
07-18-2013, 06:42 PM
I was president of my neighborhood civic association at one time and we had our general membership meetings once a month on Wednesday nights. Well I adjourned our meeting @ 8:30p because Alexis and Krystle were going to fight that night and the motion was moved and seconded in record time. LOL!
What are you talking about? Wrong thread, maybe?