PDA

View Full Version : Got to Give It Up

test

rovereab
06-02-2013, 04:29 AM
It is interesting that this superb Marvin Gaye song has not featured on any Deluxe editions of his classic albums. I wonder if it was just a one off studio session or if it was part of a canned set of related sessions. I recall it was included on The Live At The London Palladium album that was released so I guess it might have just been a one off recording.

Does anyone here have any further information please?

[[The song still sounds great today IMO!)

Thanks.

westgrandboulevard
06-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Yes, interesting point. Had not thought about it before.

Will look forward to any input:)

splanky
06-02-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm probably one of the biggest Marvin Gaye fans on this forum but I have never been too
crazy about this song. I'm not upset at all when it's left off of compilations and when it played in clubs and house parties back in the day, I left the dance floor as soon as it started.
Will the machine gunners please step forward?:).....

Kamasu_Jr
06-02-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm with Splank on this. That is not a favorite because it's overexposed. I always assumed it was done to cash in on the Disco craze at the time. Marvin Gaye has done better records, in my opinion.

Methuselah2
06-02-2013, 12:33 PM
I've always loved it, I gotta say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLVF5aIJ3tE

marv2
06-02-2013, 12:46 PM
I loved "Got to Give it Up", it became and instant party anthem for 1977-78!

midnightman
06-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Haha I don't think it's overexposed. It's one of the greatest dance records of all time. :) Which could explain why some think it's "overexposed". ;)

I think the only reason it wasn't included in any of Marvin's deluxe releases is because it wasn't culled from the eras. "Got to Give It Up" stood out on its own because it was the only disco-oriented song Marvin was associated with.

Whereas with another Motown legend [[who shall remain nameless in danger of bringing this thread to off-topic status), it was easier to put all her disco records in her deluxe set lol

smark21
06-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Got to give it up is sampled on Robin Thicke's current hit "Blurred Lines".

soulster
06-02-2013, 11:38 PM
I love this song, and it was crazy popular back in 1977 where I lived.

It was indeed a one-off recording, basically created by the engineer. Art Stewart took demos of Marvin's scratch vocals and jam session and turned it into what the recording is today.

The record in 1977 was a breath of fresh air in the increasingly slick world of disco.

supremester
06-03-2013, 12:49 AM
I bought this record before I even heard it all the way through - just the end on the radio and who it was by. I was so happy to hear something innovative on top 40 which was getting more and more boring all the time - even with Miss Ross' current album being her career best. Radio was getting tedious and Got to Give It Up was a monster fresh jam. Truth is, I don't love it all that much and didn't spin it as much as I thought I would, but even though it wasn't pushing all my buttons, I knew it was a work of art.

jack020
06-03-2013, 01:34 AM
Don't forget David Sanborn's funky cover!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUwhXV9XehY