PDA

View Full Version : New Book: "JOY RIDE! The Stars And Stories of Philly's Famous UPTOWN THEATER"

test

Methuselah2
05-30-2013, 01:30 PM
The author of this new book is Kimberly C. Roberts.

http://www.phillytrib.com/lifestylesarticles/item/9303-joy-ride-tells-story-of-historic-uptown-theater.html

marybrewster
05-30-2013, 03:04 PM
The author of this new book is Kimberly C. Roberts.

http://www.phillytrib.com/lifestylesarticles/item/9303-joy-ride-tells-story-of-historic-uptown-theater.html

I wonder why they cut Cindy Birdsong out of the Bluebelles photo?

reese
05-30-2013, 03:34 PM
I wonder why they cut Cindy Birdsong out of the Bluebelles photo?

The photo was taken after Cindy left.

nosey
05-30-2013, 08:31 PM
I have many fond memories of the Uptown. I'm getting this book.

PhillyKen
05-30-2013, 10:07 PM
ordered mine today...amazing coincidence to go with my thread on last few days of my memories of The Uptown in 64-65.

Methuselah2
05-31-2013, 12:29 AM
As soon as I learned about the new book and got ready to post it, I thought the same thing, PhillyKen. I thought to myself "Wait till PhillyKen sees this." So glad you did.

nosey
05-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Did any of you guys get to go backstage? I was able to get backstage with a phony press badge once and got to interview Deon Jackson! LOL! The next two times the so-called security guard at the back door whose name was Andy would sneak us in after some intense begging and promising to stay out of sight. LOL!

Motown4Ever518
05-31-2013, 05:40 PM
Sadly, as I was in the city of my birth last summer, the Uptown Theater is shuttered and abandoned. It must have seemed like a joke to my musically inclined dughter when I said that the Uptown was part of the circut that included the Appollo. I am not suggesting that there is a rebirth a la the Apollo circa 1985 in the cards, but it seems as though the city could paint the exterior maybe every ten years or so. Better yet, there is a co worker of mine also from Philly, we would be happy to donate our services and paint for the effort, though I must confess I am a lousy painter. The book is a must get for me, as I am reading a book by the Mighty Volcano s who morphed into the Trammps.