PDA

View Full Version : Red Wings Fans:

test

thomas96
05-29-2013, 11:09 PM
It was a good season, but damn! We blew a 2 game lead! Get 'em next year.

ralpht
05-29-2013, 11:16 PM
Oh man...not again...

robb_k
05-30-2013, 12:36 AM
The Wings have been on top, or near the top for the last 30 years. You have no complaints. Think about us Winnipeggers. We didn't even have our team for 15 years, never mind the winning part.

smark21
05-30-2013, 07:46 AM
One thing I don’t get about fans of a sports team: why do you refer to the accomplishments or shortcomings of the team as “we”? The fans weren’t out there on the court, the ice, the pitch, or the field playing the game. You were just in the stands or watching on TV or listening to the radio. You had no part in whether the team won or lost. You were just spectators, observers. So why such an intense identification by using first person plural?

ralpht
05-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Good point, Smark. I've often wondered why a baseball pitcher is credited with a no-hitter when maybe one of his outfielders made an outstanding catch to save an inning, or his infielders made a very good double play to get him out of a jam. I've often argued that the TEAM should get the credit for the no-hitter, not just the pitcher.

marv2
05-30-2013, 11:02 AM
I know, it was rough!

thomas96
06-03-2013, 12:19 AM
One thing I don’t get about fans of a sports team: why do you refer to the accomplishments or shortcomings of the team as “we”? The fans weren’t out there on the court, the ice, the pitch, or the field playing the game. You were just in the stands or watching on TV or listening to the radio. You had no part in whether the team won or lost. You were just spectators, observers. So why such an intense identification by using first person plural?

Well I consider the entire organization and city as a "We" including the fans, and I'm just used to saying that from growing up around people saying it. It's very common in sports teams. I get what you're saying though, but without the fans then what is the team? No one would watch them play, no one would get paid.

To Ralph: I agree completely. I don't follow baseball much, but I've wondered about that as well. The only way a no-hitter should really be given to the pitcher would be if it was an all strike out game, which has never happened before [[I believe, not 100% sure though).