PDA

View Full Version : Jr Walker's allstars/Contours

test

PhillyKen
05-28-2013, 04:55 PM
saw their free concert in NJ today.Only original AllStar was the bongo player.It was good and they did the hits.The Contours was the Joe Billingslea grp.They were good but I last saw them in 1964 and they got older while I stayed 22 yrs old.LOL It was free and worth going.Awww for the good old days.

RossHolloway
05-29-2013, 09:58 AM
@PhillyKen - You're a lucky man. I would love to see both groups! What do you remember about seeing them in 1964? Give me all the details!

PhillyKen
05-29-2013, 10:58 AM
saw The Contours at the Uptown Theatre in 1964 with the Motown Revue.One of the greatest live shows you'd ever want to see.The Contours did splits,backflips etc as part of their high energy act.The Marvelettes were amazing esp with Locking Up My Heart.Tempts were sharp.I wish I could remember more details.Over the years,I've been lucky enough to see hundreds of soul and doowop acts in the Philly,NJ and NY area.Of course many of the later years had replacement members but in 60s I saw many originals grps incl all the major Motown acts,Joe tex,Parliaments,Sly, Wilson Pickett,Ben E King,Drifters,Olympics,Vibrations....the list goes on.Great memories.Thanks for asking,Russ.

RossHolloway
05-29-2013, 02:51 PM
@PhillyKen - I can only imagine what it would have been like to have seen the Motown Revue in 1964.

milven
05-29-2013, 05:09 PM
saw their free concert in NJ today.Only original AllStar was the bongo player.It was good and they did the hits.The Contours was the Joe Billingslea grp.They were good but I last saw them in 1964 and they got older while I stayed 22 yrs old.LOL It was free and worth going.Awww for the good old days.

My sister was there yesterday too. She said she and her friends enjoyed the show.

tamla617
05-29-2013, 05:37 PM
I saw the "Jr walker" in England 2004 there was an ex contours guy in with them. I couldn't hear the announcer properly. Any idea who the "ex contour" was? The gig was better,yes better than the real Jr walker show in 1974/5, again in England [[Earl van dyke was on keyboards) their stuff was way too fast and short, trying to get all their hits out in the allotted time.
the mark 2 Jr walker sounded just like the original,both vocals and sax style. He was great. Richard Street's Temptaions were there too and were good. It didn't matter they were not the original line up, they were great singers and were well worth seeing. And the place was rocking!

thomas96
05-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Are these two groups still touring places or was this just some special occasion? Also, PhillyKen I am so jealous!!! Any Motown Revue would in the 60's would be the most amazing thing ever for me! The Contours doing splits and backflips!! Ooh boy would I have loved to see that. Thanks for those details. I just wish Berry Gordy/Universal [[whoever owns them) would release the tape they have of those shows.

PhillyKen
05-30-2013, 12:14 AM
I was living in south jersey and attending college at the time.I was always into RnR and doowop and then soul music but never collected records.Later I preferred Soul Train over Bandstand.at age 21-22 I attended many shows at the Uptown Theatre and also georgie Woods' shows at old Convention center.The integration process in schools was started,but in reality...there was not much social integration yet.In was both exciting and scary to go into Philly and attend shows being the only Caucasian at most.I would park my car in Camden and take the subway over the bridge and then up Broad St to Dauphin,always for matinees.It was a different time.Jimmy Bishop and Georgie woods hosted.Some of my favorites memories were of Chuck Jackson,Drifters,Inez & Charlie Foxx,Vibrations [[exciting),Impressions,Gene Chandler,Patty & Emblems,Patti labelle & Bluebelles [[tore the place apart) Major Lance,Barbara Lewis,and of course the Motown revue.wish my memory was better.1965 I graduated ,married and started new life in central jersey.Took some time to talk wife who never listened to radio or records but finally took her to show in Asbury park to see Parliaments,Bobby Bland,5 Stairsteps,Fantastic Four,and others.Also local college had Magnificent Men and Sam and Dave.In mid 70s I was caught up in first wave of "oldies" shows with 50s doowop stars.I started collecting 45s and have built a collection of over 15,000 soul and doowop.Its been a wonderful trip thru musical time and I mourn and reminisce with every obituary I read.Thank you for letting me relive some memories that took some effort to pull back into reality of my 70 yr old brain.I'd love to hear responses or questions .I have a great story about Stevie Wonder and The Sherrys at a show at a so.Philly drive in [[with Supremes,Sam Cooke,and others).

Motown4Ever518
05-31-2013, 06:17 PM
PhillyKen,

Thank you for sharing your experiences @ The Uptown Theater, and your excellent point about the fact that while no, a group my not have any original members in it, but there are some excellent singers out there. With apologies to Mr. Williams and The Temptations, The Temptations Review with Dennis Edwards, puts on a mighty fine show.