PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue May 28, 9P-12M ET:Petula Clark...a Tribute, Part 1 of 2!

test

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Good evening "Nightflight" listeners! Tonight, part 1 of a very special tribute to a Lady who, though a Motown contemporary, had and yet and still STILL has a career that spans over 65 years....now THAT is LONGEVITY! The Lady? The absolutely indefatigable Petula Clark. It's been quite a few years since my last tribute to the lovely Pet Clark...and a more expansive tribute is certainly in order. I've found some amazing specialties for you...things that I had never heard before, nor did I know even existed. Plus, alternate versions, some treats by Tony Hatch...and tracks from her new cd release "Lost In You" [[thanks, Tony F., for letting me know about it...you and it truly propelled this tribute). "Lost In You" is an amazing cd for a lady of 80 years to have recorded. So do join me tonight...and next week...for a loving celebration of the career...and the music of a true icon of music...
Petula Clark. That's on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and we are streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org/)
Thanks!
John

drlorne
05-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Hey John..should be a great show. I remember scouring record shops trying to find Chariot the original song from which I Will Follow Him was derived. This was before computers and the Internet ..finding a song really took determination.. ..I have her latest CD. Lost in You, very good.

Glenpwood
05-28-2013, 08:50 PM
So looking forward to this! I have turned on "The Lights Of Night" and put the "Cat In The Window" because this "American Boy" knows this is the place to be! See everyone in a few!

sophisticated_soul
05-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Hey John, this must be the "I Know A Place"!:) See you and the Gang on the Radiola.:cool:

lovechild
05-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Color my world Johhny! :)

sophisticated_soul
05-28-2013, 09:03 PM
This was before computers and the Internet ..finding a song really took determination.. ...

Ain't that the truth!! I searched for years in some cases!!!:)

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Hey John..should be a great show. I remember scouring record shops trying to find Chariot the original song from which I Will Follow Him was derived. This was before computers and the Internet ..finding a song really took determination.. ..I have her latest CD. Lost in You, very good.

Lorne...great to see you!!! Glad you joined us. Pet's new cd is great...you're right!

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 09:10 PM
So looking forward to this! I have turned on "The Lights Of Night" and put the "Cat In The Window" because this "American Boy" knows this is the place to be! See everyone in a few!

Awwww....Glen....nice to see you!

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Joseph.....hello, my friend!!

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Color my world Johhny! :)
You and I are SOO excited!!!!!! Thank you Tony!

drlorne
05-28-2013, 09:20 PM
What a great version...never really appreciated this before.
thanks, John

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 09:22 PM
What a great version...never really appreciated this before.
thanks, John
Thank you, Lorne....it's so pretty....

Methuselah2
05-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Never been of fan of Petula myself. But her FOGGY DAY is awfully good, even better extended. There's a beautiful video of the song on YouTube.

lovechild
05-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Since Soulful Detroit keeps booting me I am going to kick back and enjoy NOTHING BUT PETUlA! Thank you so much Johnny :)

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Never been of fan of Petula myself. But her FOGGY DAY is awfully good, even better extended. There's a beautiful video of the song on YouTube.
Thanks, Bruce.

Glenpwood
05-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Always loved this and mystified why this flopped. The orchestration is gorgeous. Love the extension you've done John

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Since Soulful Detroit keeps booting me I am going to kick back and enjoy NOTHING BUT PETUlA! Thank you so much Johnny :)

Tony....sorry for the Boots [[Nancy would be proud!). I won't forget you're there...thanks!

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Always loved this and mystified why this flopped. The orchestration is gorgeous. Love the extension you've done John

Thanks Glen....it's like a carnival in your ears...one of my favorites. Actually, there's a 45 rpm of it...different mix that doesn't sound quite as gorgeous.

Glenpwood
05-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Funny I thought about picking up the 45 of A.B. since it didn't make one of the US studio LPs so good to know.....

drlorne
05-28-2013, 10:34 PM
What an interesting presentation, thanks John.

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 10:35 PM
What an interesting presentation, thanks John.

Lorne...thanks...so glad you enjoyed it!

texassoul
05-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Hi John. Been listening from the shadows while I do some work at home, but still enjoying the show. Hope all's well with you.

Methuselah2
05-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Interesting article from 2/1/13 to follow that great BBC interview:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2271281/Petula-Clark-80-reveals-lifetime-regret-I-just-wish-Id-better-mother.html

texassoul
05-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Wow! "You Better Come Home" is stunning!

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Hi John. Been listening from the shadows while I do some work at home, but still enjoying the show. Hope all's well with you.

Mike!! Great....glad you're listening....and thanks!

sophisticated_soul
05-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Peggy and Petula! What a treat, hadn't heard or seen that before. Thanks John.:)

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Wow! "You Better Come Home" is stunning!

Yes...absolutely!!

lovechild
05-28-2013, 10:54 PM
You Better Come Home is one of my favorite Petula songs and yes it was the b-side of Downtown

texassoul
05-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Well recorded as well...especially 1965. Has a great sound to it.

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Peggy and Petula! What a treat, hadn't heard or seen that before. Thanks John.:)

Glad you likeeee, Joe!!!

texassoul
05-28-2013, 10:56 PM
You Better Come Home is one of my favorite Petula songs and yes it was the b-side of Downtown

Should have been released as an "A" side, IMHO.

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 10:58 PM

Phew....the memory is still vaguely intact...thanks Tone!!

texassoul
05-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Phew....the memory is still vaguely intact...thanks Tone!!

Key word there is "vaguely"!!!! ;o))))))

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Key word there is "vaguely"!!!! ;o))))))

Now...be nice...I admitted it...

texassoul
05-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Aaaaahahahahaha! LMAO.

lovechild
05-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Wow ok I am now searching for these french versions! I love them

Glenpwood
05-28-2013, 11:26 PM

Actually close title but incorrect.... The B Side of Downtown was You Better Love Me, a different song.... You Better Come Home was the follow up single to I Know A Place and went to 4 on the AC chart but stalled at 22 pop.

midnight johnny
05-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Actually close title but incorrect.... The B Side of Downtown was You Better Love Me, a different song.... You Better Come Home was the follow up single to I Know A Place and went to 4 on the AC chart but stalled at 22 pop.

We have a winner!

lovechild
05-28-2013, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=Glenpwood;168392]Actually close title but incorrect.... The B Side of Downtown was You Better Love Me, a different song.... You Better Come Home was the follow up single to I Know A Place and went to 4 on the AC chart but stalled at 22 pop.[/QUOTEsorry
but I think I would remember because I played both sides of the 45 to death. better check your copy of the 45 mr glenn lol

Glenpwood
05-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Love all these French Pet cuts... Never knew she cut Sam by ONJ.....

lovechild
05-28-2013, 11:32 PM
but i guess it depends on what country we are talking about eh? :)

texassoul
05-28-2013, 11:33 PM
I smell a controversy brewing! ;o))

Glenpwood
05-28-2013, 11:33 PM
[QUOTE=Glenpwood;168392]Actually close title but incorrect.... The B Side of Downtown was You Better Love Me, a different song.... You Better Come Home was the follow up single to I Know A Place and went to 4 on the AC chart but stalled at 22 pop.[/QUOTEsorry
but I think I would remember because I played both sides of the 45 to death. better check your copy of the 45 mr glenn lol

Just double checked EBay and yep, all copies I see of the original 45 have You Better Love Me on them, an Eric reissue has Kiss Me Goodbye on the flip.

lovechild
05-28-2013, 11:45 PM
they are the same song lol

lovechild
05-28-2013, 11:52 PM
ok they arent the same song but i know that You'd Better Come Home is the song i remember as the b side. i listedend to You Better Love Me and don't know it. anyway,
Great show Johnny and look forward to Part II.. Have a good week

texassoul
05-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Heard another gem on this show as I always do. Thanks John for another fab show!

sophisticated_soul
05-29-2013, 12:00 AM
So many Petula versions I hadn't heard before, John. Excellent track selection. Thank you. Looking forward to Part Deux. Thanks everybody.:) See you all next time.:cool:

R. Mark Desjardins
05-29-2013, 12:12 AM
John;
What an enjoyable tribute to Petula Clark. I learned so much about her that I never knew before , and of course the music!

greg jones
05-29-2013, 04:43 AM

OK guys... yes You'd Better Love Me was the flip to Downtown. And You're half right on You'd Better Come Home as the follow up to I Know A Place. The original follow up to I Know A Place was The Sound Of Love, another uptempo very much like I Know A Place. The Sound Of Love got to the acetate and test pressing stage before being cancelled and replaced with You'd Better Come Home. I believe that Pye in the UK even slated the same catalogue number of The Sound Of Love to You'd Better Come Home with the same flip side, Heart. The test pressing floated around for years until we got it on cd in the early '90's on reissue of I Know A Place/The New Petula Clark Album in the UK. The stereo version came later on another reissue.

The singles The Sound Of Love, You'd Better Come Home and Round 'Every Corner, which all were never on a regular studio album were slated for an album that ended up getting shelved since none of the songs got higher than the 20's in any country. Vogue, Pye and Warner Bros. all elected to release The World's Greatest International Hits, an album of cover versions, as her follow up album to I Know A Place/The New Petula Clark Album. This was because all of the songs from I Know A Place were being covered by other artists before an official release of Petula's versions of the same songs could be released. Items like You're The One by The Vogues and many cover versions of Call Me. There was rumour that Warner Bros. had considered You'd Better Come Home for The World's Greatest International Hits album, but then decided not to include it. You're The One by Petula was finally released in Europe as a single after Round 'Every Corner.

Pet's follow up album to I Know A Place and The World's Greatest was the My Love album. My Love, which of course, hit #1 in the US. A Live album, Live at the Copcabana, in the same time frame of late 1965/early 1966 was also shelved by Vogue and Pye and rejected by Warner Bros. Though that album did finally get released on CD in the late '90's in Europe.

One of the gals who has done some of Petula's US publicity of and on through the years, has done her official website at www.PetulaClark.net [[http://www.PetulaClark.net), which is a wealth of great info! That website is also linked to her official fan club, the International Petula Clark Society [[IPCS), which I believe Petula helped form in 1961, when she had the European hits, Romeo and Sailor. IPCS has been run almost exclusive since then by the same man, Terry Young. IPCS has had a US Rep, Bonnie Miller, since the late '80's who also done marvelous work for Petula.

greg jones
los angeles, ca

greg jones
05-29-2013, 05:09 AM
Oh and by the way, I believe that You're The One by The Vogues, which reached #4 on Billboard is Petula's highest charting for one of her OWN compositions!

greg jones
los angeles, ca

midnight johnny
05-29-2013, 08:30 AM
ok they arent the same song but i know that You'd Better Come Home is the song i remember as the b side. i listedend to You Better Love Me and don't know it. anyway,
Great show Johnny and look forward to Part II.. Have a good week

Thanks so much, Tony! See you next week!!

midnight johnny
05-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Heard another gem on this show as I always do. Thanks John for another fab show!

Mike....thanks a lot...I appreciate it!

midnight johnny
05-29-2013, 08:36 AM
So many Petula versions I hadn't heard before, John. Excellent track selection. Thank you. Looking forward to Part Deux. Thanks everybody.:) See you all next time.:cool:

Joseph...thanks! So much more to come! Talk to you soon!!

midnight johnny
05-29-2013, 08:38 AM
John;
What an enjoyable tribute to Petula Clark. I learned so much about her that I never knew before , and of course the music!

Mark....thanks so much....I learned a lot too...what a fascinating life she has had!

midnight johnny
05-29-2013, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE=lovechild;168395]

OK guys... yes You'd Better Love Me was the flip to Downtown. And You're half right on You'd Better Come Home as the follow up to I Know A Place. The original follow up to I Know A Place was The Sound Of Love, another uptempo very much like I Know A Place. The Sound Of Love got to the acetate and test pressing stage before being cancelled and replaced with You'd Better Come Home. I believe that Pye in the UK even slated the same catalogue number of The Sound Of Love to You'd Better Come Home with the same flip side, Heart. The test pressing floated around for years until we got it on cd in the early '90's on reissue of I Know A Place/The New Petula Clark Album in the UK. The stereo version came later on another reissue.

The singles The Sound Of Love, You'd Better Come Home and Round 'Every Corner, which all were never on a regular studio album were slated for an album that ended up getting shelved since none of the songs got higher than the 20's in any country. Vogue, Pye and Warner Bros. all elected to release The World's Greatest International Hits, an album of cover versions, as her follow up album to I Know A Place/The New Petula Clark Album. This was because all of the songs from I Know A Place were being covered by other artists before an official release of Petula's versions of the same songs could be released. Items like You're The One by The Vogues and many cover versions of Call Me. There was rumour that Warner Bros. had considered You'd Better Come Home for The World's Greatest International Hits album, but then decided not to include it. You're The One by Petula was finally released in Europe as a single after Round 'Every Corner.

Pet's follow up album to I Know A Place and The World's Greatest was the My Love album. My Love, which of course, hit #1 in the US. A Live album, Live at the Copcabana, in the same time frame of late 1965/early 1966 was also shelved by Vogue and Pye and rejected by Warner Bros. Though that album did finally get released on CD in the late '90's in Europe.

One of the gals who has done some of Petula's US publicity of and on through the years, has done her official website at www.PetulaClark.net [[http://www.PetulaClark.net), which is a wealth of great info! That website is also linked to her official fan club, the International Petula Clark Society [[IPCS), which I believe Petula helped form in 1961, when she had the European hits, Romeo and Sailor. IPCS has been run almost exclusive since then by the same man, Terry Young. IPCS has had a US Rep, Bonnie Miller, since the late '80's who also done marvelous work for Petula.

greg jones
los angeles, ca

Greg...thanks so much for this very interesting breakdown of what occured with Petula's recordings and releases. I appreciate it!

nathanj06
06-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Someone mentioned Petula's version of "A Foggy Day" from her I Know A Place album. Definitely a stunner for 1965 and superb orchestration. Loved it the first time I heard it and also my favorite album next to My Love. Just did a revamp of her Greatest Hits cover. For some reason it won't let me upload the image.

midnight johnny
06-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Someone mentioned Petula's version of "A Foggy Day" from her I Know A Place album. Definitely a stunner for 1965 and superb orchestration. Loved it the first time I heard it and also my favorite album next to My Love. Just did a revamp of her Greatest Hits cover. For some reason it won't let me upload the image.

Nathan....if you can send the image to my yahoo im [[just clicki on the "y' by my name here...I bet I can post it here! Thanks! John

midnight johnny
06-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Nathan.....quite beautiful!!! Thanks so much!

nathanj06
06-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Thank you midnight johnny. The back needed something so I added the yellow rose. I had to delete and re-enter them.

nathanj06
06-02-2013, 04:56 PM
The original from 1968.

nathanj06
06-02-2013, 05:01 PM
I always noticed whoever did that cover used photo's from "International Hits" and Petula "Pink Album" when there were no songs from those on this. There were two from "Color My World/Who Am I" that were on it and no photo from that album. I sort of corrected that for myself. We music enthusiasts...