PDA

View Full Version : Why eric clapton is the best!!!!

test

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
05-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Hello Everyone,

I know we don't talk much about rock or great guitarists here, but when I heard this, I had to post it!! Talk about SOUL~~Clapton has it in spades. He's always been my favorite guitarist, and still is. I welcome your choices of and performances from guitar greats.

ENJOY!!

http://youtu.be/ugB2PGnlvTw

~~Mary~~

stingbeelee
05-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Hi Mary, A few of my favorite performances on a guitar are:
Chuck Berry - Maybellene; a perfect guitar solo for the record, it anticipates speed.
Billy Butler - Honky Tonk & leaps and bounds - it seems to me that his guitar work was so ahead of its time, he made the guitar talk.
Lonnie Mack - Memphis; so many sounds from one guitar.
Les Paul - the world is waiting for the sunrise and how high the moon - the master at work.
Eddie Willis, Joe Messina, and Robert White - it's a shame; I did not know how complex the guitar work was on this record until I heard the Funk Bros. karaoke disc - three guitars doing different things and yet meshing as one.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
05-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Hi Stingbeelee,

Great choices. Les Paul taught them all how to play electric and Chuck Berry defines rock and roll guitar.

Some of my others faves are:

B.B. King
Carlos Santana
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Buddy Guy [[It's Buddy who said of Clapton, there are lots of good guitarists out there but only Clapton can bring you to your knees with one note.)
Ernie Isley
Keith Richards
Ronnie Woods
Jimmy Page
Jeff Beck

Jimi Hendrix was great, but I didn't care for his psychedelic phase. I put Clapton above him because Clapton has had such a long and illustrious career.

~~Mary~~

imnokid
05-29-2013, 11:20 PM
I loved Eric up until and including Derek & The Dominoes. After that, it was all downhill for me.

Now Paul Kossoff, THAT is a guy who coukd kill you with one note
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YylGLV_nANU

thomas96
05-30-2013, 12:38 AM
Never been much into guitar myself, but my brother plays guitar and is a huge fan of SRV. From what he's shown me I like Clapton and SRV, but I absolutely love Hendrix's stuff [[which he doesn't like). Chuck Berry is probably my favorite though with classics like Johnny B Goode, and Maybelline. Great instrument [[and essential for rhythm in many songs), but sax/harmonica/flute have always been my favorite soloing instruments.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
05-30-2013, 09:46 AM
I loved Eric up until and including Derek & The Dominoes. After that, it was all downhill for me.

Now Paul Kossoff, THAT is a guy who coukd kill you with one note
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YylGLV_nANU

Hi Imnokid,

I'll still stick wth Clapton, but I must say Kossoff is good and interesting in the clip you provided. In fact, he reminded me of Clapton during his Cream days. Thanks for posting.

~~Mary~~

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
05-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Never been much into guitar myself, but my brother plays guitar and is a huge fan of SRV. From what he's shown me I like Clapton and SRV, but I absolutely love Hendrix's stuff [[which he doesn't like). Chuck Berry is probably my favorite though with classics like Johnny B Goode, and Maybelline. Great instrument [[and essential for rhythm in many songs), but sax/harmonica/flute have always been my favorite soloing instruments.

Hi Thomas96,

I love Chuck Berry, too. He's one of the greats for sure. I'm with your brother regarding Hendrix and SRV & Clapton. I certainly recognize the talent Hendrix had, but I just didn't care for most of his stuff, because I was never into psychedelic music. My love for The Beatles declined when they went into that phase of their career. Speaking of The Beatles, George Harrison was another great guitarist. Thanks for posting.

I appreciate the responses because I'm aware lead guitar is not a prominent instrument in much of soul music. Ernie Isley is one exception I can think of. His playing on "Who's That Lady" blows me away every time I hear it.

~~Mary~~

timmyfunk
05-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Obviously to each his or her own. You might want to check out the archives for a thread called GREATEST GUITARISTS-SDF STYLE. You'll definitely get a great cross section of phenomenal axe molesters. For me personally, Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Hazel represent my top two.

keith_h
05-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Without doubt Clapton is technically supreme, but for me The Man was always Freddie King, who Clapton also rates very highly. I like this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdyvPg0c6bI

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
05-31-2013, 02:50 PM
Obviously to each his or her own. You might want to check out the archives for a thread called GREATEST GUITARISTS-SDF STYLE. You'll definitely get a great cross section of phenomenal axe molesters. For me personally, Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Hazel represent my top two.

You're so right, Timmyfunk. It's all personal taste and what sounds good to our ears. Thanks for posting.

~~Mary~~

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
05-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Without doubt Clapton is technically supreme, but for me The Man was always Freddie King, who Clapton also rates very highly. I like this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdyvPg0c6bI

Hi Keith, Clapton has always credited the great blues guitarists as being his influences and has done a lot to bring long overdue attention to them. I saw the Bravo documentary Clapton did on Robert Johnson and loved it. Freddie King is definitely on my list of the greats. Thank you for posting.

~~Mary~~