PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes "A Bit Of Liverpool"!!?

test

mysterysinger
05-27-2013, 06:57 AM
Not sure if this has been posted here before but I think it's a great clip...
"Eight Days A Week".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsW9NTfHoos

mysterysinger
05-27-2013, 07:02 AM
And "You Can't Do That" one of the better ones from the album "With Love [[From Us To You)". Indeed they sound better on these clips than the actual recordings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfQhgHQPJJ8

westgrandboulevard
05-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Thank you, mysterysinger.....

I don't remember seeing either of those clips before and yes, I agree with you that The Supremes do sound better here than on their recorded versions...

kenneth
05-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Wow, what great clips. I agree they sound much better than on the LP.

On "8 Days a Week," did they actually alternate the lead vocal as in the live clip? I don't recall that, but it's been ages since I played this album which to me has never been very enjoyable to listen to except for a few tracks.

To me, "Liverpool" sounds like the Vandellas' "Heat Wave" album, as if it were all recorded in one day, with almost all tracks having what sounds like hurry-up vocals and the same arrangements.

I've always liked the "Country and Western" and "Sam Cooke" LPs much better. Still, I'd be happy to see this one on a Hip-O set!

Great finds, though. Very fun clips.

JohnnyB
05-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Wow, what great clips. I agree they sound much better than on the LP.

On "8 Days a Week," did they actually alternate the lead vocal as in the live clip? I don't recall that, but it's been ages since I played this album which to me has never been very enjoyable to listen to except for a few tracks.

To me, "Liverpool" sounds like the Vandellas' "Heat Wave" album, as if it were all recorded in one day, with almost all tracks having what sounds like hurry-up vocals and the same arrangements.

I've always liked the "Country and Western" and "Sam Cooke" LPs much better. Still, I'd be happy to see this one on a Hip-O set!

Great finds, though. Very fun clips.
Eight Days A Week wasn't on the album, which puzzled me with a first discovered this clip. Perhaps it was recorded or planned for the LP but not included for some reason. Does anyone know any details about this song choice?

kenneth
05-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Eight Days A Week wasn't on the album, which puzzled me with a first discovered this clip. Perhaps it was recorded or planned for the LP but not included for some reason. Does anyone know any details about this song choice?

Wow, that's interesting. All the more reason for Hip-O to resurrect some of the lost tracks from the vault for a special edition!

reese
05-27-2013, 11:57 AM

EIGHT DAYS A WEEK wasn't released by the Beatles until 1965. The Liverpool album had been released in 1964.

kenneth
05-27-2013, 12:15 PM
EIGHT DAYS A WEEK wasn't released by the Beatles until 1965. The Liverpool album had been released in 1964.

Even in the UK? I think often the releases were later in the US.

Kamasu_Jr
05-27-2013, 12:31 PM
One of the Supremes' better early TV performances.

reese
05-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Even in the UK? I think often the releases were later in the US.

I have no idea of the UK release dates.

I was going by the fact that it didn't hit #1 in the US until March 1965, which makes me think it was probably released a month or two before that, at least as a single.

In any event, with the LIVERPOOL album being released in October 1964, it still makes me think EIGHT DAYS A WEEK probably wasn't out when that album was recorded.

kenneth
05-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Reese,

I think you are correct. I found this on Wiki. Too bad, I would love to hear a studio version of the Supremes' cover of it. Still, from the video clips above, you have to think they were pretty contemporaneous with the "Liverpool" album especially considering the costumes.

"Eight Days a Week"

Song [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song) by the Beatles [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles) from the album Beatles for Sale [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatles_for_Sale)

Released
4 December 1964

Recorded
6 October 1964
EMI Studios [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_Road_Studios), London

Genre [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_genre)
Rock [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music)

Length
2:44

Label [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_label)
Parlophone [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parlophone)
PMC 1240 [[mono)
PCS 3062 [[stereo)

Writer [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songwriter)
Lennon–McCartney [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennon%E2%80%93McCartney)

Producer [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_producer)
George Martin [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Martin)

franjoy56
05-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Thank you, mysterysinger.....

I don't remember seeing either of those clips before and yes, I agree with you that The Supremes do sound better here than on their recorded versions... I like the album version better the vocals are brought forward for Mary and Florence, and Ballard showstopping the vocals to the upnth degree and so is Mary, both add to Diana's agressive leads, not just on You Can't Do That, check out do you love me, and Bits and Pieces, and the up in you face "House of the Rising Sun" the Supremes true vocals with no added help.. The tv version does not do it for me it sounds slightly distorted from age..

Kamasu_Jr
05-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Florence Ballard DIDN'T HAVE any leads on any of the songs on A Bit of Liverpool, which is a corny album in my opinion. So how did she stop the show? I did notice her bump her mic stand during You Can't Do That. If she would have knocked it to the floor that would have definitely stopped the show. Liverpool was not recorded in Detroit, which is one reason why the Andantes didn't sing on it. And although they are a little stiff in their movements, I like the Shindig performances.

mysterysinger
05-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Each to their own, of course, but I'm with Kamasu_Jr on this one as I think the performances on the vid are more natural . I enjoyed these whereas the album doesn't do very much for me at all [[except for "Because" and "You Can't Do That" perhaps).

supremester
05-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Message from an "old" fan: I can't watch these clips or hear this album objectively. This came out just as I was becoming a Supremes fanatic because of Baby Love. By today's standards, Liverpool may be a crap album - it was recorded on the run in LA and the arrangements could really use a bit of gussying up. However, a group no one ever heard of just a few months before having two albums and two hit singles out at once was unheard of - especially since they had done no TV. They sold millions of records in a few short months just on their sound. The fact that they were black and doing what had never been done never even crossed my mind. I loved them and Ross' voice touched my heart. So, although a few of the arrangements made me cringe back then and still do, seeing these clips remind me just how huge they became and how fast. Liverpool was everywhere - like it had every right to be considered for purchase along The Beatles, Beach Boys or Four Seasons. With no single, it sold more copies than all Martha or Marvelettes studio Lp's put together. Back then, albums were huge expenditures - 99% of the time you only bought the 45. Albums were for adults, cast albums etc. The Beatles changed that, but even they would have had to be impressed with the platinum sales of Liverpool: a slapped together rush job that was solely produced to cash in on the huge success. It was a brilliant idea. I'm glad The Andantes are not on this one - I love hearing Flo and Mary on the early songs. I don't, however, hear Flo show stopping anywhere, but I'm glad for those who do. She is clearly drowning Mary out on You Can't Do That and I love her voice. Also, she is off on her moves, but I find that endearing.

What this project did was prove that Berry's vision was correct: there WAS something about the girl with the big eye's voice. By the time they appeared on Ed Sullivan, they had already sold close to ten million records. Astounding. This is why Flo & Mary rarely got solos. Motown ALWAYS put their money where their mouth was - be it on lead singers, producers or sounds that sold. Anything that hit was repeated. It was never about who was better - it was always about the money. This was an exciting time to be a Supremes fan - and it just kept getting better.

I like Sam Cooke and CW& Pop better also, but I never play CW&Pop in public or when friends are around. It's definitely an acquired taste - one that most will never develop. I hear rumors they will all be Hipo'd this year. Let's hope!

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
05-28-2013, 06:10 PM
I heard the rumors too that they would be released this year. Anyone know if it's true?

antceleb12
05-28-2013, 07:30 PM
I know that a few of the Liverpool sessions [[e.g. "I Saw Him Standing There," "Not Fade Away") were released about five years back on the "Lost & Found" release. Would anyone know if there are any other tracks from those sessions that have yet to be heard?

kenneth
05-28-2013, 09:18 PM
@supremester,

I wholly echo your sentiments. If anyone doubts that the Sups had crossover appeal, I have to only think about my grandmother at the time who used to say "I don't know why, but I just love those 3 girls!" Bless her heart!

franjoy56
05-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Florence Ballard DIDN'T HAVE any leads on any of the songs on A Bit of Liverpool, which is a corny album in my opinion. So how did she stop the show? I did notice her bump her mic stand during You Can't Do That. If she would have knocked it to the floor that would have definitely stopped the show. Liverpool was not recorded in Detroit, which is one reason why the Andantes didn't sing on it. And although they are a little stiff in their movements, I like the Shindig performances.
Flo didn't have any leads on the original Liverpool album, but her vocals from the background said it all, she sounds fabulous loud and soulful no messing around with her soprano. However she did get a lead on one of the songs from the unreleased lost and found i think it was a boo didley song or a lost track that didn't make the livrpool album.

franjoy56
05-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Thank you very much, "I Saw Him Standing There" and "Not Fade Away" feature Florence Ballard on lead through several verses of both songs i have to hear them again, but of course ISHST was cut from the liverpool album.

rrussi
05-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Both of these performances were from the American TV show called "Shindig".
Eight Days A Week was performed during a period that the show would feature a guest
artist singing the week's biggest hit or something like that. You Can't Do That was
performed to promote the Bit of Liverpool lp. If you watch closely you will see
Florence flubbing the choreography. These two performances were at two different
times, not from the same show.
I did not particularly like the Bit of Liverpool lp. It seems it was done rather quickly
and I think it was completely recorded in L.A.

reese
05-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Randy, if i'm not mistaken, these performances are from the same show. They also sang STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE as the Pick Of The Week.

rrussi
05-29-2013, 12:10 PM
I think u are right!!!

rrussi
05-29-2013, 12:16 PM
I hadn't watched this stuff in many years and some of it not since the '60s!!!
Anyway, they must be from the same episode as all of their wigs are the same [[lol).

thommg
05-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Yes, the vocals sound a little rushed but my problem with the Liverpool LP is the sound mixing. It is very strident and loud and unappealing. I wonder, when they get the Hip-O treatment, if they will adjust some of these mixes. I wish they would.

RossHolloway
05-29-2013, 03:02 PM
While this is not one of my favorite albums by the group. I do appreciate it for what it is and why it was done. I think Motown wanted all of its top acts to have some cross over appeal and did not want them to be just straight up Motown/R&B acts. Can you imagine any of todays top artists taking such a career risk and doing a tribute album or a C&W album. The very fact that we're still talking about this album almost 50 years after it was recorded and released says something about its importance/relevance.

kenneth
05-29-2013, 03:25 PM
While this is not one of my favorite albums by the group. I do appreciate it for what it is and why it was done. I think Motown wanted all of its top acts to have some cross over appeal and did not want them to be just straight up Motown/R&B acts. Can you imagine any of todays top artists taking such a career risk and doing a tribute album or a C&W album. The very fact that we're still talking about this album almost 50 years after it was recorded and released says something about its importance/relevance.

You really are right about that. I do think there's a couple good tracks on the album. I think Diane's vocal on "House of the Rising Sun" rises above the Beatles material. The lyrics on that shouldn't really work for a female singer, but somehow they do.

I do agree with thonmg that the mixing is very poor. I think I have a Stereo copy. Maybe the Mono is better.

I'm going to listen to it again with "fresh ears."

antceleb12
05-29-2013, 03:48 PM
What I absolutely love about this album is that it's one of their most group-centered albums - meaning that it wasn't just Diana with Flo and Mary singing "ooh's" or "shoo-be-doo's." Instead, it was a lot of group singing - unisons and three-part harmony - and you can tell that they had a blast recording it! That's what I also love about the "Rodgers & Hart" sessions - the group cohesiveness [[although less so than "Liverpool"). The mixing, and quite a number of the arrangements, are quite poor, but I love how much each of the girls contributes to the album!

RossHolloway
05-29-2013, 04:23 PM
@kennethh- House of the Rising Sun was an Animals track wasn't it? I also hear a certain joy in their singing on this album. I think that while the vocals were probably done over the course of a LA weekend, I think the group did enjoy singing the material and it comes thru in the final recordings. I wonder what this same album would have sounded like if say the Temptations, or Martha & The Vandellas or even Brenda Holloway had does these same songs.

kenneth
05-29-2013, 04:42 PM
@kennethh- House of the Rising Sun was an Animals track wasn't it? I also hear a certain joy in their singing on this album. I think that while the vocals were probably done over the course of a LA weekend, I think the group did enjoy singing the material and it comes thru in the final recordings. I wonder what this same album would have sounded like if say the Temptations, or Martha & The Vandellas or even Brenda Holloway had does these same songs.

Yes, the Animals did the hit version of "Rising Son." It's actually a very old blues song, I think a lot of blues singers did it before the Animals, but theirs is the best known version, and I think a great one.

I would have loved to hear the Tempts or the Vandellas do more of that material. You know, there's a CD "Motown Sings the Beatles" or something like that. It's really excellent, a great comp. I love Diana Ross' version of "The Long and Winding Road," and the [[Jean Terrell) Sups on "Come Together," both of which are on the album.

rrussi
05-29-2013, 04:56 PM
The worst cut on the lp to me is Bits and Pieces. I absolutely hate it!!!

floyjoy678
05-29-2013, 05:22 PM
The album was OK. The only songs I really think are worthy listening to are "Because", "You Can't Do That", "A Hard Day's Night" and "Can't Buy Me Love" and this is including the tracks that weren't released until a few years ago. Also about "I Saw Him Standing There" why does everyone keep saying that Florence Ballard sings the lead on that song? She's not. Yeah her voice is prominent on it and she sings 3 or 4 WORDS by herself but it's mostly a group effort, not really anyone getting a lead.

Also forgot to mention that while I'm not a fan of the album it's my sister's favorite.

RossHolloway
05-29-2013, 05:24 PM
I can totally hear either David Ruffin or Paul Williams all over House of the Rising Sun.

antceleb12
05-29-2013, 07:11 PM
The album was OK. The only songs I really think are worthy listening to are "Because", "You Can't Do That", "A Hard Day's Night" and "Can't Buy Me Love" and this is including the tracks that weren't released until a few years ago. Also about "I Saw Him Standing There" why does everyone keep saying that Florence Ballard sings the lead on that song? She's not. Yeah her voice is prominent on it and she sings 3 or 4 WORDS by herself but it's mostly a group effort, not really anyone getting a lead.

Also forgot to mention that while I'm not a fan of the album it's my sister's favorite.

Technically, it's a lead because Florence has the melody line while Mary and Diana have the harmonies. It's not a lead like "Ain't That Good News," but she has the melody line, is the most prominent, and has those several [[albeit, small) solo spots. :)

thomas96
05-29-2013, 08:09 PM
I can totally hear either David Ruffin or Paul Williams all over House of the Rising Sun.

Oh my gosh, yes! Paul or David doing House of the Rising Sun would just blow me away.

smark21
05-29-2013, 08:29 PM

Only in die hard Supremes fan circles. The album is meaningless outside of SupremesNation.

smark21
05-29-2013, 08:30 PM
You really are right about that. I do think there's a couple good tracks on the album. I think Diane's vocal on "House of the Rising Sun" rises above the Beatles material. The lyrics on that shouldn't really work for a female singer, but somehow they do.

I do agree with thonmg that the mixing is very poor. I think I have a Stereo copy. Maybe the Mono is better.

I'm going to listen to it again with "fresh ears."

House of the Rising Sun is a traditional folk song. It’s been tackled by women singers before The Supremes. Joan Baez recorded the song for her debut album in the early 60s. The Animals did have a huge hit with the song though.

kenneth
05-29-2013, 08:39 PM
House of the Rising Sun is a traditional folk song. It’s been tackled by women singers before The Supremes. Joan Baez recorded the song for her debut album in the early 60s. The Animals did have a huge hit with the song though.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. Love Baez.