PDA

View Full Version : Interesting DRATS Photo

test

Methuselah2
05-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Mary & Cindy look like Mary & Cindy. But Diana seems very much like a cross between Gladys Knight & Florence LaRue here to me. I had to do a double-take.

See what you think:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvx72rInRe1r1epupo1_400.jpg

revvy
05-25-2013, 08:29 PM
I don't think I've ever seen her in that long-haired wig before.

Kamasu_Jr
05-25-2013, 10:34 PM
That's a photo that has been circulating on the collector's market. It's been used on trading cards, etc. I'd guess it was taken during a European tour. Diana Ross had long hair on her TV special, Diana!

luke
05-25-2013, 11:09 PM
I believe I remember that wig on Diana but I cant remember from where, and it sure does look like ones Gladys and Florence L have worn.

Kamasu_Jr
05-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Yeah, Motown gave Diana Ross Gladys Knight's old wigs. LOL Variations of the photo posted by Methuselah can be found on pages 44 & 51 of the 50th Anniversary set booklet.

midnightman
05-26-2013, 03:14 AM
Interesting...lol Odd seeing Diana with a long straight wig... if you'd squint you think it was 1969-1974 era Gladys lol

westgrandboulevard
05-26-2013, 07:09 AM
In my mind's eye I remember seeing a photo taken, I think, soon after The Supremes became 'Diana Ross and The Supremes'.

I can't immediately put my hand on it, but something tells me they were appearing in Canada - but I could be wrong on that....

Over here in the UK, I think it was one of the first, if not the very first photo I saw of the group with new member Cindy. It's an exterior long shot, and the ladies are standing in front of the venue, with the group's new name up on the boards.

Diana is wearing a multi-print mini dress [[?), and she has a long wig, but I think it had a fringe. Cindy is in a dark trouser suit [[and white polo neck sweater? ) and Mary [[looking extremely slim) is wearing a dark mini skirt, with a jacket that has bold white edging to it, and very light boots. She is wearing her blonde wig,which I always liked, and it looks as if she may be wearing it under her hat in the photo at the top of this thread.

There is another similar shot - the group is stood on what looks like a bridge, Diana has her hand in the air, waving to the camera.

Just guessing, but I'd say Methuselah2's photo could be from around that time. Possibly same wig, but restyled and straightened [[?) without the fringe....

marv2
05-26-2013, 09:36 AM
In my mind's eye I remember seeing a photo taken, I think, soon after The Supremes became 'Diana Ross and The Supremes'.

I can't immediately put my hand on it, but something tells me they were appearing in Canada - but I could be wrong on that....

Over here in the UK, I think it was one of the first, if not the very first photo I saw of the group with new member Cindy. It's an exterior long shot, and the ladies are standing in front of the venue, with the group's new name up on the boards.

Diana is wearing a multi-print mini dress [[?), and she has a long wig, but I think it had a fringe. Cindy is in a dark trouser suit [[and white polo neck sweater? ) and Mary [[looking extremely slim) is wearing a dark mini skirt, with a jacket that has bold white edging to it, and very light boots. She is wearing her blonde wig,which I always liked, and it looks as if she may be wearing it under her hat in the photo at the top of this thread.

There is another similar shot - the group is stood on what looks like a bridge, Diana has her hand in the air, waving to the camera.

Just guessing, but I'd say Methuselah2's photo could be from around that time. Possibly same wig, but restyled and straightened [[?) without the fringe....

The photo[[s) you described were taken in Montreal at Expo '67. I posted an interview they did with the CBC at the time on here several years ago.

marv2
05-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Here's the interview from CBC - Radio Canada:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Digital+Archives/Arts+and+Entertainment/Music/ID/1811378265/?page=12

JohnnyB
05-26-2013, 09:55 AM
In my mind's eye I remember seeing a photo taken, I think, soon after The Supremes became 'Diana Ross and The Supremes'.I can't immediately put my hand on it, but something tells me they were appearing in Canada - but I could be wrong on that....Over here in the UK, I think it was one of the first, if not the very first photo I saw of the group with new member Cindy. It's an exterior long shot, and the ladies are standing in front of the venue, with the group's new name up on the boards. Diana is wearing a multi-print mini dress [[?), and she has a long wig, but I think it had a fringe. Cindy is in a dark trouser suit [[and white polo neck sweater? ) and Mary [[looking extremely slim) is wearing a dark mini skirt, with a jacket that has bold white edging to it, and very light boots. She is wearing her blonde wig,which I always liked, and it looks as if she may be wearing it under her hat in the photo at the top of this thread.There is another similar shot - the group is stood on what looks like a bridge, Diana has her hand in the air, waving to the camera.Just guessing, but I'd say Methuselah2's photo could be from around that time. Possibly same wig, but restyled and straightened [[?) without the fringe....

The photo you described appears in the booklet that accompanies the DRATS 3-LP Anthology from 1974.

marv2
05-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Montreal, Quebec at Expo '67

marv2
05-26-2013, 10:20 AM
A different shot from the session, the original subject of this thread:

marv2
05-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Another shot from around that time......

revvy
05-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Here's the interview from CBC - Radio Canada:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Digital+Archives/Arts+and+Entertainment/Music/ID/1811378265/?page=12

It's interesting that in 1967, Diana was still referring to herself as "Diane" even though the group was renamed Diana Ross and the Supremes. Now who exactly was Mary's understudy...Marlene Barrow? Or was that some fabrication on Motown's part? Also interesting was the statement that Florence officially left because she wanted to get into another "business" and spend some time in the islands. Yeah, right.

midnightman
05-26-2013, 12:30 PM
A different shot from the session, the original subject of this thread:

Love this one.

R. Mark Desjardins
05-26-2013, 01:13 PM
marv2, Many thanks for posting the CBC interview with Diana Ross promoting The Supremes six show Expo '67 performances. I may be wrong, but I think the interview was held in the ballroom of The Bonaventure Hotel a day prior to the shows. The women were staying at the hotel, and I later discovered that the backing musicians were staying at L'Hotel Des Musicians. I was allowed into the Press Conference as a "teen reporter" for The Ottawa Citizen newspaper. Local area DJ's were permitted five minute personal time with Diana Ross. Unfortunately Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong were not in attendance, which was disappointing to me. Of course, in retrospect this was to give more prominence to Diana Ross. Needless to say, the two shows I attended, the opening performance of the first night and the last show of the third evening are forever implanted in my brain.

Methuselah2
05-26-2013, 01:51 PM
To all who have responded here so far:

You've woven a simple, bare thread into a beautiful tapestry in just a flash! Just a photo yielded comments, insights, perspective, information, hidden details and specifics, other photos, different photos from the same sitting, an interview, even the British use of "fringe" for what's called "bangs" in the U.S. You've made this a whole lotta fun. SDF at it true best. Many thanks.