PDA

View Full Version : Playlist: The Very Best of Diana Ross: On Sale Now

test

skooldem1
05-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Diana's Playlist will be released by Sony Records. Hopefully this will lead to more reissues and compilations from her RCA years. I wish they had left off the first 4 tracks and just released a full CD of RCA recordings. The release date is today.

Track Listings
1. Love Hangover
2. Upside Down
3. I'm Coming Out
4. Endless Love
5. Why Do Fools Fall In Love
6. Mirror, Mirror
7. Work That Body
8. Muscles
9. Pieces of Ice
10. All Of You
11. Swept Away
12. Missing You
13. Chain Reaction
14. Eaten Alive

http://www.amazon.com/Playlist-Very-Best-Diana-Ross/dp/B00CC50R5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369152993&sr=8-1&keywords=diana+ross+playlist

longtimefan
05-21-2013, 06:24 PM
#4 Endless Love I'd the RCA [[solo) version.

soulster
05-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

I already have a Diana Ross domestic RCA comp that came out many years ago with these same songs, sans the Motown tracks, so i'm good.

Hopefully, the RCA albums have already been remastered and are in the can for release.

Jimi LaLumia
05-21-2013, 09:49 PM
are the first few tracks licensed from Motown, or are they 'live' versions or re -records owned by RCA?

soulster
05-22-2013, 12:35 AM
are the first few tracks licensed from Motown, or are they 'live' versions or re -records owned by RCA?
That's a good question Jimi!

I don't know, but my hunch is that they are the original hit versions.

Kamasu_Jr
05-22-2013, 07:17 AM
That's a good question Jimi!

I don't know, but my hunch is that they are the original hit versions.There are three tracks licensed from Motown. The radio station got a promo and it sounds great, probably better than that RCA Years disc.

skooldem1
05-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Kamasu- just to be clear, there are only 3 tracks licensed from Motown? Does this mean that Endless Love is the solo RCA recording?

longtimefan
05-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Skool,

Yes, it is the RCA recording as I posted above.

Kamasu_Jr
05-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Kamasu- just to be clear, there are only 3 tracks licensed from Motown? Does this mean that Endless Love is the solo RCA recording? Endless Love is the solo version frpm Why Do Fools...the remastering work is fantastic. We played Swepr Away and Muscles.

skooldem1
05-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Thanks. Can't wait to hear these remastered cuts. Especially "Pieces of Ice". Good to know you guys played some tracks. On another board, there was talk that this was released because many stations playing "oldies" play songs from the 80's now, and this release will give access to Diana's RCA catalog.

smark21
05-22-2013, 07:58 PM
70s and especially the 60s are fast fading from oldies stations and 80s are now the oldies.

davidh
05-22-2013, 09:18 PM
wow, ALL OF YOU is included. that seems to be a first.

longtimefan
05-22-2013, 10:01 PM
I have always wondered why RCA has never released Diana's LPs as a kind of box set. I bet all of her RCA albums [[remastered) would fit on three [[3) discs. It doesn't seem like a large amount of overhead would be needed.

The Marvelettes" FOREVER release would be a good model.

I know that "money" is always a part of the equation, but as I said, "I have always wondered...." :-)

soulster
05-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Endless Love is the solo version frpm Why Do Fools...the remastering work is fantastic. We played Swepr Away and Muscles. Which brings to mind another question: did they use the album versions or the single versions? As far as the mastering is concerned, is it louder than the older RCA Greatest Hits CD? I hope they didn't brickwall it. If they did, I will not bother buying it.

thommg
05-23-2013, 10:54 AM
I have always wondered why RCA has never released Diana's LPs as a kind of box set. I bet all of her RCA albums [[remastered) would fit on three [[3) discs. It doesn't seem like a large amount of overhead would be needed.

I wonder if RCA holds the rights for her albums. Is it possible that she retained the rights and leased them to RCA for release? That's what Garth Brooks did with his music.

skooldem1
05-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Which brings to mind another question: did they use the album versions or the single versions? As far as the mastering is concerned, is it louder than the older RCA Greatest Hits CD? I hope they didn't brickwall it. If they did, I will not bother buying it.

To answer you question on if they are album cuts or single versions. I can tell you this, "Love Hangover" is 7:47 minutes, maybe that helps. Not the expert on sound and single releases like you are, but I got this today and it does sound good and clear.

EDIT: I just pulled out the old RCA greatest hits CD. I am only listening to these on my computer but the new one is louder. Checking out the song list on that CD- I hadn't looked at it in years. What a great track list of her RCA songs. There were some notable songs missing, but they included a nice variety of tracks. It certainly wasn't a greatest hits package. Matter of fact the titles of these two CD's could be switched. The new one is more of a greatest hits package, while the old one is more like a fan playlist.

davidh
05-24-2013, 10:01 PM
wish they would have included DIRTY LOOKS,CRIMES OF PASSION and a few other gems but either way i'll check it out. not on ITunes yet.

JohnnyB
05-24-2013, 11:10 PM
To answer you question on if they are album cuts or single versions. I can tell you this, "Love Hangover" is 7:47 minutes, maybe that helps. Not the expert on sound and single releases like you are, but I got this today and it does sound good and clear.

EDIT: I just pulled out the old RCA greatest hits CD. I am only listening to these on my computer but the new one is louder. Checking out the song list on that CD- I hadn't looked at it in years. What a great track list of her RCA songs. There were some notable songs missing, but they included a nice variety of tracks. It certainly wasn't a greatest hits package. Matter of fact the titles of these two CD's could be switched. The new one is more of a greatest hits package, while the old one is more like a fan playlist.
Yes, this CD includes the LP versions of each selection. The RCA collection from the nineties featured single versions of the hits.

Kamasu_Jr
05-25-2013, 12:38 AM

TOLD YOU. I listened to the Greatest Hits for comparison and Playlist does sound better.

soulster
05-25-2013, 01:26 AM

That older RCA comp has seven songs that weren't singles, but at least one was a popular track. And, you're right, it is missing a lot of singles, a few huge ones.

I am disappointed to hear that the new one is louder, but hopefully not too much louder. I may pass on this after all. I'll just wait to see if RCA/Legacy decides to issue her proper albums.

soulster
05-25-2013, 01:28 AM
TOLD YOU. I listened to the Greatest Hits for comparison and Playlist does sound better.
Louder does not mean better, and there are technical reasons why, and they are reasons you can hear. In the past, I have attempted to explain it to you guys, but no one here seems interested.

Kamasu_Jr
05-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Louder does not mean better, and there are technical reasons why, and they are reasons you can hear. In the past, I have attempted to explain it to you guys, but no one here seems interested.

Nope. Not interested in that technical stuff. All I want is to be able to hear the music.