PDA

View Full Version : Cindy Birdsong needs our help

test

bradsupremes
05-20-2013, 06:35 PM
From the HAL Awards Scholarship Foundation facebook page:

The HAL Scholarship Fund will be responding to the needs of a member of our beloved Motown Family. We have established The Supreme Love Endowment Fund to lend needed aid to Miss Cindy Birdsong, who is experiencing severe health issues and accompanying financial burdens.

For all the joy, love and smiles that Cindy has bought to us, her fans, over the years we ask for your help in giving just a little back to her. For those who want to donate via credit card or PayPal, simply go to www.halawards.com [[http://www.halawards.com) and click on the "Donate" button under Cindy's picture. If you are donating by check, please make your check out to HAL and specify on the note line “Donation for Cindy Birdsong.”

Mail your donation to:
HAL Scholarship Fund
361 S. Oakhurst Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212.

It was Mary Wilson who called Janie Bradford and said, "Hey we got to do something for Cindy. She needs our help." and so Supreme bandmate, Mary agreed to attend the HAL Awards this year, scheduled for Sunday, September 22, 2013 and present the endowment to Cindy.

http://www.halawards.com

Kamasu_Jr
05-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Just shaking my head.

davidh
05-20-2013, 08:52 PM
she is in my prayers

davidh
05-20-2013, 08:54 PM
although I don't get the scholarship Part????can someone clarify?

franjoy56
05-20-2013, 10:35 PM
although I don't get the scholarship Part????can someone clarify? All i know is that i will be supporting this cause with a donation, and I hope Cindy receives much loving support from fans on this cite. Cindy has brought me much joy through all her years as a performer period.

midnightman
05-20-2013, 11:22 PM
Oh no! :eek: :[[

Roberta75
05-21-2013, 12:01 AM
How much of each dollar that gets donated goes to Miss Cindy Birdsong? If it only 50 cents on the dollar Id rather write a check directly to Cindy.

This lovely and gracious and kind lady is in my prayers tonight and every night.

May God watch over Miss Cindy Birdsong.

Roberta

revvy
05-21-2013, 01:04 AM
May God bless you, dear Cindy. You are loved by everyone you have touched. You can count me in for a contribution.

thisoldheart
05-21-2013, 06:11 AM
i wanna give, but this website seems like alot of money could go to other places. anybody have any stats on just what % cindy will be getting?

stalebagel
05-21-2013, 09:34 AM
i wanna give, but this website seems like alot of money could go to other places. anybody have any stats on just what % cindy will be getting?

I never thought I would ever agree with Roberta, however both she and thisoldheart are spot on.

Monetary donations to anyone in a tragedy or in a life threatening situation should be made available immediately. The funds should not have to go through a secondary organization to reach the individual/group that requires immediate assistance. And such tragedy should never require a formal presentation by a celebrity at a fundraising event that is occurring months later.

The established and accepted way to donate to personalized causes such as Cindy Birdsong’s or any others is through a bank trust account set up in the name of the individual or group to be helped. The funds go directly to that specific trust account and may be drawn upon without delay. There is no intermediary or gala.

A Motown alum’s tragedy is not a featured one-time presentation. It should not be orchestrated as a PR placement to benefit an organization or a presenter. And there are so many more Motown tragedies that have unfolded and are unfolding.

If Mary Wilson did indeed initiate this fund by calling Janie Bradford to collect funds for Cindy through her Janie Bradford’s Heroes and Legends Scholarship Fund organization then they have both done a disservice to Cindy. And one should always be diligent that the organization is a legitimate 501[[c) [[3) organization that files annually with the IRS or it places the donation at risk.

Again a bank trust set up in Cindy’s name with the donations flowing through it will provide Cindy with immediate funds and the financial help that she needs today.

Penny
05-21-2013, 09:37 AM
I never thought I would ever agree with Roberta, however both she and thisoldheart are spot on.

Monetary donations to anyone in a tragedy or in a life threatening situation should be made available immediately. The funds should not have to go through a secondary organization to reach the individual/group that requires immediate assistance. And such tragedy should never require a formal presentation by a celebrity at a fundraising event that is occurring months later.

The established and accepted way to donate to personalized causes such as Cindy Birdsong’s or any others is through a bank trust account set up in the name of the individual or group to be helped. The funds go directly to that specific trust account and may be drawn upon without delay. There is no intermediary or gala.

A Motown alum’s tragedy is not a featured one-time presentation. It should not be orchestrated as a PR placement to benefit an organization or a presenter. And there are so many more Motown tragedies that have unfolded and are unfolding.

If Mary Wilson did indeed initiate this fund by calling Janie Bradford to collect funds for Cindy through her Janie Bradford’s Heroes and Legends Scholarship Fund organization then they have both done a disservice to Cindy. And one should always be diligent that the organization is a legitimate 501[[c) [[3) organization that files annually with the IRS or it places the donation at risk.

Again a bank trust set up in Cindy’s name with the donations flowing through it will provide Cindy with immediate funds and the financial help that she needs today.

I am with Roberta and Stalebagel on this one. I love Cindy Birdsong and would be happy to send some hard earned money to help out but this doesn't seem like the way to do it.

Penny:[[

jobeterob
05-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Totally agree with Stalebagel.

When there is a fundraiser, get the consent of the party being raised for and their agreement to whatever kind of publicity there will be. What is the plan here ~ to have someone who isn't well be placed on a stage in front of people to acknowledge their difficult times?

This is one of the issues that plagues well known charities as well ~ a lot of the money goes to administration.

revvy
05-21-2013, 11:34 AM
I, too, would much rather send a donation directly to Cindy, however Mary's heart is in the right place. Perhaps she wants to formally recognize Cindy's contribution to music and to the Supremes, surrounded by people who love her. I consider Cindy a hero and a legend and she should be acknowledged for that.

Perhaps Diana will show up and we can finally have that Supremes reunion we have all been waiting for.

I'll bet Scherrie Payne would be a good person to contact to send a donation directly to Cindy. Here is the link to her business contact: info@lavoixstudio.com [[http://www.lavoixstudio.com/contact-us.html)

luke
05-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Andy and George are often here and they may be able to give input. And Mary will probably post something on her website.

marybrewster
05-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Does anyone know the source of Cindy's medical issues? I think it's a fair question; if we're being asked to send money, we should know what the condition is. I hate to speculate, but I just saw a recent post regarding Cindy along the lines of: "I wish I would have picked her brain".....which I read as, Cindy possibly has memory loss, alzheimer's or dementia. Don't take that as gospel truth; just my guess.

I think Mary's heart was in the right place; she probably approcahed Janie as maybe she has more contacts and can get the word out?

Regardless, it's and interesting subject; I send my prayers and well wishes to Cindy for a speedy recovery, from whatever ails her. And hopefully her ex-husband Charles can come through; I thought he was a successful businessman? Hopefully he has some funds to help support the mother of his child.

Roberta75
05-21-2013, 01:32 PM

Thank you for that backhanded complimentt stalebagel.

I agree about getting the funds directly to Cindy.

Roberta

Roberta75
05-21-2013, 01:34 PM
I, too, would much rather send a donation directly to Cindy, however Mary's heart is in the right place. Perhaps she wants to formally recognize Cindy's contribution to music and to the Supremes, surrounded by people who love her. I consider Cindy a hero and a legend and she should be acknowledged for that.

Perhaps Diana will show up and we can finally have that Supremes reunion we have all been waiting for.

I'll bet Scherrie Payne would be a good person to contact to send a donation directly to Cindy. Here is the link to her business contact: info@lavoixstudio.com [[http://www.lavoixstudio.com/contact-us.html)

"Perhaps Diana will show up and we can finally have that Supremes reunion we have all been waiting for."

Seriously a woman is ill and all you can think about is a reunion. You think Miss Cindy Birdsong want a camera in her house or hospital when shes ill?

You amaze me.

Roberta

skooldem1
05-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Hope Cindy gets all the love and help she deserves. Maybe Cindy doesn't want the public to know she is in poor health. I suspect Mary's heart was in the right place, but I don't know if this route is what Cindy would want. If Mary really wanted to help, why wouldn't she give Cindy some money? Hopefully word will get back to Diana. Diana has helped her Supreme Sisters in the past, I'm sure she would do the same again.

milven
05-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Mary is performing at small venues, sharing the bill sometimes, and tickets are sometimes as low as $25 which she has to share. She may not be able to help Cindy financially.

But, Cindy is a senior citizen collecting social security and health bills are paid primarily by medicare. Most senior citizens have secondary insurance to pay what medicare doesn't. So even though she may have medical problems, I wonder what the financial need is. Also, Cindy has a grown son in his forties. Is he helping her in any way?

Many charities take out huge administrative fees for advertising and telemarketers. Lucky if ten percent of your donation goes to the cause that you donated to. 60 Minutes did a piece on this.

I wonder if Cindy wanted her personal situation known to the public.

She had a book that was supposed to be released last year. If that project moves forward, it will generate income.

revvy
05-21-2013, 02:02 PM
"Perhaps Diana will show up and we can finally have that Supremes reunion we have all been waiting for."

Seriously a woman is ill and all you can think about is a reunion. You think Miss Cindy Birdsong want a camera in her house or hospital when shes ill?

You amaze me.

Roberta

Good Lord, Roberta. Where is your mind sometimes? I'm not talking about a full-on Vegas review. I'm talking about having those 3 ladies together in the same room sharing a common love and respect for each other as well as a caring compassion when a fellow member needs help. Who said anything about cameras or exploitation? Honestly, think before you write.

midnightman
05-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Yeah, meaning IN PRIVATE. But we don't know, maybe they do keep in contact. We don't know the story of the real Supremes from what we're told to believe. I just wish Cindy the best regardless. Mary definitely has her heart in the right place.

midnightman
05-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Totally agree with Stalebagel.

When there is a fundraiser, get the consent of the party being raised for and their agreement to whatever kind of publicity there will be. What is the plan here ~ to have someone who isn't well be placed on a stage in front of people to acknowledge their difficult times?

This is one of the issues that plagues well known charities as well ~ a lot of the money goes to administration.

That's why people sometimes don't donate money to charities because the money doesn't go to help anyone but whoever leads the administration. That's what so messed up about it.

midnightman
05-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Does anyone know the source of Cindy's medical issues? I think it's a fair question; if we're being asked to send money, we should know what the condition is. I hate to speculate, but I just saw a recent post regarding Cindy along the lines of: "I wish I would have picked her brain".....which I read as, Cindy possibly has memory loss, alzheimer's or dementia. Don't take that as gospel truth; just my guess.

I think Mary's heart was in the right place; she probably approcahed Janie as maybe she has more contacts and can get the word out?

Regardless, it's and interesting subject; I send my prayers and well wishes to Cindy for a speedy recovery, from whatever ails her. And hopefully her ex-husband Charles can come through; I thought he was a successful businessman? Hopefully he has some funds to help support the mother of his child.

That is a good point.

rod_rick
05-21-2013, 03:21 PM
That's why people sometimes don't donate money to charities because the money doesn't go to help anyone but whoever leads the administration. That's what so messed up about it.

Why do I get the feeling that maybe Cindy or a family member [[her son David maybe) wanted Mary to contact Janie Bradford of the HAL Awards organization. Cindy has a prior relationship with Janie an the organization and I believe is a member of the organization.
I've heard that Cindy has not been in the best of health in the past few years, and I don't know if anyone noticed, but at Scherrie's play debut Cindy was using a cane. I don't have much but like the others I would like to give directly to Cindy. Also keep in mind if you make a large donation to an organization like the HAL awards you can write the donation off on your taxes. Cindy is in my prayers

Roberta75
05-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Good Lord, Roberta. Where is your mind sometimes? I'm not talking about a full-on Vegas review. I'm talking about having those 3 ladies together in the same room sharing a common love and respect for each other as well as a caring compassion when a fellow member needs help. Who said anything about cameras or exploitation? Honestly, think before you write.

Is it really that important to you revvy? You are the one that was on about a photo of the three ladies during the opening of motown the Musicals.

Cindy has stated that shes got a real good relationship with Diane and a real good relationship with Mary. Isnt that enough. Maybe shje wants her illness to be private as shes a dignified woman. You should think before you write my dear.

Roberta

midnightman
05-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Why do I get the feeling that maybe Cindy or a family member [[her son David maybe) wanted Mary to contact Janie Bradford of the HAL Awards organization. Cindy has a prior relationship with Janie an the organization and I believe is a member of the organization.
I've heard that Cindy has not been in the best of health in the past few years, and I don't know if anyone noticed, but at Scherrie's play debut Cindy was using a cane. I don't have much but like the others I would like to give directly to Cindy. Also keep in mind if you make a large donation to an organization like the HAL awards you can write the donation off on your taxes. Cindy is in my prayers

A family member I can believe, if Cindy is as sick as it's claimed...

stalebagel
05-21-2013, 04:10 PM

I considered making a $150 donation to Cindy via PayPalbut thought I should make an effort to do my due diligence first. Glad I did, because look what I found:

IRS Revocation Date [[effective date on which organization's tax exemption was automatically revoked):
15-May-2010

Employer Identification Number [[EIN):
95-4541629

Legal Name:
JANIE BRADFORD HAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND

Exemption Type:
501[[c)[[3) [[http://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/forwardToExemptionHelp.do?exemption=03&dispatchMethod=parseExemptTypes)

Underinvestigation by IRS

BayouMotownMan
05-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Until I see this on Mary's website I will not act on it.

I've known about Cindy's condition for some time. Remember guys, this beloved woman is 74 years old. She has lost quite a lot of weight but otherwise continues to smile and stay in touch as much as she can with the fans and the former ladies

soulballad
05-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Oh man. This is really sad news. My prayers go out to the wonderful and sweet Ms.B. Realistically I know shes up in age but I'm still hoping and praying for a recovery from whatever it is.

soulballad
05-21-2013, 04:24 PM
I considered making a $150 donation to Cindy via PayPalbut thought I should make an effort to do my due diligence first. Glad I did, because look what I found:

IRS Revocation Date [[effective date on which organization's tax exemption was automatically revoked):
15-May-2010

95-4541629

Legal Name:

Exemption Type:
501[[c)[[3) [[http://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/forwardToExemptionHelp.do?exemption=03&dispatchMethod=parseExemptTypes)

I too will wait until Mary or Scherrie or even Susaye chimes in. I'm pretty sure they would be in the know but maybe Cindy wants to remain private and I can respect that. We will hear something soon enough.

BayouMotownMan
05-21-2013, 04:58 PM
We all would love to see Cindy bounce back to the Cindy we know and love from the 60s and 70s. But guys, we have to prepare ourselves. When one gets a certain age, little health problems become big ones and the number of problems accelerate too. I swear, at 57, I hate going on a yearly physical. They find out more things wrong with me than I ever realized. I have high cholesterol now, some gout. All in all, in good shape for my age.

But going into one's 70s and 80s, one will begin to deteriorate a little faster. It's the joke that Father Time plays on us. My prayer for Cindy is that she not be in pain and will recognize those who love her and especially all the millions who loved her from afar. She gave a lot to heritage of the Supremes. She should never have been allowed to go broke [[by her own admission) after all those years.

I'm hoping Ross and BG step in here. It would be the right thing to do.

jobeterob
05-21-2013, 07:44 PM
There was a post by Soul Sister [[I think) somewhere on this Forum in the last few months; a really good post.

She referred to the expectation we have that because you had a hit record or a few and dressed in some nice clothes and got out of a fancy car and were on TV, that you are well off, well heeled, have a lot of money. [[I'm paraphrasing). And she went on to say that the perception is so often wrong.

Many of us would help Cindy directly to the extent we can.

If the right contact were made with the right people around Berry Gordy, he may help. Ditto for Miss Ross; she helped before for Ms. Wells, Ms. Bradford, Ms. Birdsong and Ms. Wilson.

I will post something for the Berry Gordy Family Foundation following, if I can find it.

jobeterob
05-21-2013, 07:46 PM
http://non-profit-organizations.findthebest.com/l/1519451/Berry-Gordy-Family-Foundation

There may be some potential assistance there.

I can only post the URL, not the contents.

midnightman
05-21-2013, 07:54 PM

15-May-2010

95-4541629

Legal Name:

Exemption Type:

Say word??? Wow...

luke
05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Many people have known about CIndy's particular health issues for quite awhile but I dont think we should discuss them until Cindy or someone close to her chooses to.

captainjames
05-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Sorry to hear this and to read this post but before I jump in I will confirm some of the info and details. There is so much more we can do if its true.

Roberta75
05-21-2013, 11:48 PM
Most merciful and eternal God, the everlasting Salvation of those who believe, hear on my behalf my prayer of healing and strength for your sick sister in Christ our beloved Cindy Birdsong for whom we beg the aid of your pitying mercy and your healing power. with Sister Cindy Birdsongs bodily health restored, she may give thanks to you in her church that she loves with her heart and soul. Please hear my prayer and heal our sister Cindy Birdsong. I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ who died on the cross for all of us. Oh heal her Lord and raise her from her sick bed. We ask this through Christ our Lord.

Amen.

rod_rick
05-21-2013, 11:57 PM
Sorry to hear this and to read this post but before I jump in I will confirm some of the info and details. There is so much more we can do if its true.

Please keep us posted. So many of us would like to help if we can.
I got wind that Cindy wasn't in the best of health a few years back. The person didn't go into any details and I respect them for that, they said we should keep Cindy in our thoughts and prayers

kenneth
05-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Most merciful and eternal God, the everlasting Salvation of those who believe, hear on my behalf my prayer of healing and strength for your sick sister in Christ our beloved Cindy Birdsong for whom we beg the aid of your pitying mercy and your healing power. with Sister Cindy Birdsongs bodily health restored, she may give thanks to you in her church that she loves with her heart and soul. Please hear my prayer and heal our sister Cindy Birdsong. I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ who died on the cross for all of us. Oh heal her Lord and raise her from her sick bed. We ask this through Christ our Lord.

Amen.

Roberta, That is so beautiful. God bless you, Kenneth

Roberta75
05-22-2013, 12:11 AM
Roberta, That is so beautiful. God bless you, Kenneth

Thank you my dear Kenneth. There is power in prayer and God hear us.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Kamasu_Jr
05-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Stalebagel, Thisoldheart and Roberta asked valid questions. The part about making donations out to HAL bothered me as well. That raised a red flag. I would like to donate too but directly to Cindy Birdsong. I don't know if celebrities qualify for medicare and health insurance. They didn't have those safeguards in place when they were younger and making money. They were told to look out for themselves.

milven
05-22-2013, 08:20 AM
.... I don't know if celebrities qualify for medicare and health insurance. They didn't have those safeguards in place when they were younger and making money. They were told to look out for themselves.

Medicare is health insurance. Everyone is eligible for it when they turn 65. It pays for 80% of medical bills. You can also add a prescription plan to it for about $40 a month. At 73 years old, she should also be getting a social security check, but those are usually not big enough to live on. Most people of her generation, who did not expect to get pensions from their jobs, planned ahead and invested some of their income into IRAs or mutual funds so that their old age would be at least comfortable. And it is a good thing that they did. Because they now have children in their forties who lived on credit cards, bought homes they could not not afford, faced foreclosure and now are living with their mommies and daddies. I wonder what financial condition her son is in and if he is helping her in any way.

After seeing that the HAL Scholarship fund is under investigation, I would be reluctant to send any money to them on CIndy's behalf.

Kamasu_Jr
05-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Medicare is health insurance. Everyone is eligible for it when they turn 65. It pays for 80% of medical bills. You can also add a prescription plan to it for about $40 a month. At 73 years old, she should also be getting a social security check, but those are usually not big enough to live on. Most people of her generation, who did not expect to get pensions from their jobs, planned ahead and invested some of their income into IRAs or mutual funds so that their old age would be at least comfortable. And it is a good thing that they did. Because they now have children in their forties who lived on credit cards, bought homes they could not not afford, faced foreclosure and now are living with their mommies and daddies. I wonder what financial condition her son is in and if he is helping her in any way.

After seeing that the HAL Scholarship fund is under investigation, I would be reluctant to send any money to them on CIndy's behalf.

I forgot Medicare is pretty much given to everyone even if they didn't work. But I know of a lot of musicians who died without health and life insurance or don't have any coverage at all. My uncle gets Medicare A&B but doesn't have a supplement, but he still qualifies for grants and other financial help. We're working on getting him a supplemental plan to cover the 20 percent that Medicare doesn't. It would appear that Ms. Birdsong should qualify for some kind of assistence in California.

kenneth
05-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Thank you my dear Kenneth. There is power in prayer and God hear us.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Roberta - can you please check your email? I sent you a private msg. Thanks, Kenneth

Roberta75
05-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Robert - can you please check your email? I sent you a private msg. Thanks, Kenneth

Thank you dear Kenneth. I just replied.

God bless you.

Roberta

kenneth
05-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Thank you dear Kenneth. I just replied.

God bless you.

Roberta

Thank you Dear. Oops, sorry for 'Robert' instead of 'Roberta!'

Penny
05-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Until I see this on Mary's website I will not act on it.

I've known about Cindy's condition for some time. Remember guys, this beloved woman is 74 years old. She has lost quite a lot of weight but otherwise continues to smile and stay in touch as much as she can with the fans and the former ladies

I am with you BayouMotownMan. Happy to help out but I need to know it is for real and the best way to help.

Maybe Diana will do a benefit show for Cindy. Mary could show up and sing a few songs and it could all be to benefit the great Cindy Birdsong. It sounds nice.

Penny:cool:

revvy
05-23-2013, 09:02 PM
I'll bet if Cindy got that book of hers published, that would certainly bring her some revenue to help out with her financial difficulties. I would certainly buy one! The problem is she's probably not well enough to go out and promote it, but with the right promoter she should be able to pull it off. In any event, I wish her well.

midnightman
05-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Her book would probably be released if she dies just like Marva Whitney's book about being with James Brown.

rrussi
05-24-2013, 11:46 AM
It is Berry Gordy who should help her financially!

jobeterob
05-24-2013, 01:13 PM
It is Berry Gordy who should help her financially!

Maybe Berry will help if someone can get to him personally with this. Or perhaps Diana. There won't be many others with a lot of resources who can provide significant amounts. But I'm sure there are people around Gordy and Ross preventing a lot of these kinds of requests from even getting through to them because there are probably a lot of requests from family, friends, former colleagues, fans, etc. and there are varying degrees of legitimacy.

I believe the market for a "Cindy" book wouldn't be that big anymore and it wouldn't be very significant at all unless she wanted to slag Ross, Wilson, the Supremes, Pedro, Berry etc. And that probably won't happen either.

skooldem1
05-24-2013, 01:25 PM
What makes it even sadder is the fact that Cindy could have generated money by releasing this book, or touring when she had the opportunity.

reese
05-24-2013, 01:38 PM
My heart goes out to Cindy, who from most accounts, seems to be someone that everybody likes.

I wouldn't be surprised if Diana already knows the situation and is helping out. I never read that there was any strain between she and Cindy. And Diana isn't the type to publicize her generosity, which I think is admirable.

jobeterob
05-24-2013, 01:40 PM
I agree; there was a day when the "Cindy" book was anticipated and would have been a big deal and a big seller.......especially is she "talked".

And it is interesting: we haven't heard from Cindy about her situation. She may not even be pleased with the publicity being generated by others.

midnightman
05-24-2013, 02:09 PM
I agree; there was a day when the "Cindy" book was anticipated and would have been a big deal and a big seller.......especially is she "talked".

And it is interesting: we haven't heard from Cindy about her situation. She may not even be pleased with the publicity being generated by others.

I was thinking the same thing...

rod_rick
05-24-2013, 06:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing...

I understand how you both feel about CIndy not wanting her situation known, but I'd rather it be known so that she can get the assistance that she needs.
I know they say that Diana, and Berry should help out. Suzanne DePass should help also because without CIndy should would have never gotten into the Motown family.

rrussi
05-24-2013, 07:40 PM
It is a damn shame that one of the top three groups in the world in the 60s [[the other two being the Beatles and the Rolling Stones) has a member [[and this is the second one!) that needs financial help. Does Cindy receive any royalties?

captainjames
05-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Perhaps this will explain why she didn't attend Motown the Musical but please take heed before sending and make sure you understand where your money is going. Remember not only Berry, Diana and Mary may know about it and are already on it but Suzanne, Patti, Nona and Sarah are aware

reese
05-24-2013, 08:34 PM
It is a damn shame that one of the top three groups in the world in the 60s [[the other two being the Beatles and the Rolling Stones) has a member [[and this is the second one!) that needs financial help. Does Cindy receive any royalties?

Supposedly she signed them away either in 1972 or 1976.

rrussi
05-24-2013, 09:18 PM
And if she didn't, she probably did so without an attorney. There are too many of these former Motown stars living in close to poverty and Berry should find this embarrassing considering he is worth mulit-millions.

luke
05-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Though I dont know that Berry should be responsible for all the needs of all former Motown singers[[my former employers sure as hell dont help me out) , Cindy Birdsong has been so gracious to so many people and sure helped out the Supremes and Motown so well Id hope Ms DePasse and others would come to her assistance. I know for a fact that Mary Wilson has gone to bat for Cindy in the past.

midnightman
05-24-2013, 09:55 PM
The Supremes weren't allow to be part of the creative process [[writing and producing) so are we really surprised? I agree, Cindy has been more than gracious. Speaking of former band mates, remember Cindy also had a 10-year history with Patti LaBelle and the members of Labelle [[when they were the Bluebelles), I wonder if Patti knows too. It's more than just a Motown thing with Cindy. She has a rich and varied history.

rrussi
05-24-2013, 10:45 PM
I agree with all above, it is just that so many former Motown stars haven't faired so well. Maybe they were never given or paid what they should have been when they were hitmakers. I know Motown controlled their income from bookings too. I do hope she can recover from whatever it is with her health conditions.

skooldem1
05-24-2013, 10:51 PM
One can only wonder how the money she would have earned touring with Diana had she negotiated directly with promoters, instead of having someone else do it for her, would have helped her. To bad the deal fell apart.

midnightman
05-24-2013, 11:18 PM
One can only wonder how the money she would have earned touring with Diana had she negotiated directly with promoters, instead of having someone else do it for her, would have helped her. To bad the deal fell apart.

Makes you wonder, don't it? *sigh*

revvy
05-25-2013, 12:34 AM

From what I understand of the situation, it was the promoters TNA/SFX and specifically Arthur Fogel who were rotten, greedy and bullish to the core. Cindy, Mary, Jean and Susaye all concur they were treated VERY badly in the Return to Love negotiation process. That tour was a bloody mess from the very start and nobody came out looking good.

captainjames
05-25-2013, 08:06 PM
I am sure a lot of folks are aware as I mentioned earlier. Berry, Mary, Diana, Nona, Patti, Sarah, Charles and Cindy's brothers and sisters.

luke
05-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Would all Motowners have qualified for Social Security and Medicare?

milven
05-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Would all Motowners have qualified for Social Security and Medicare?

Yes, they qualify for both .

milven
05-25-2013, 11:29 PM
ASCAP also has a pension fund. Don't know how that works.

Many people, like Cindy and Flo sign away their royalties for an immediate cash payout up front. It may look like a lot at the time, but it is very little when compared to what they are giving up.

kenneth
05-26-2013, 12:38 AM
ASCAP also has a pension fund. Don't know how that works.

Many people, like Cindy and Flo sign away their royalties for an immediate cash payout up front. It may look like a lot at the time, but it is very little when compared to what they are giving up.

I think Jobete was a BMI company but I'm sure they would have the same.

I was surprised when it was discussed here on SDF previously that Cindy would have signed away her royalties, especially after her seeing what had happened with Florence. I mean, Cindy had been in the business a long time by then so it's surprising she wouldn't have had legal advice advising her against doing that at the time.

I do agree that we should be cautious extending charity in these circumstances. I'd worry about how much would actually get to Cindy, and I also wonder why she would be in such dire straits, frankly, though I don't want to seem cynical or uncaring.

midnightman
05-26-2013, 03:05 AM
From what I understand of the situation, it was the promoters TNA/SFX and specifically Arthur Fogel who were rotten, greedy and bullish to the core. Cindy, Mary, Jean and Susaye all concur they were treated VERY badly in the Return to Love negotiation process. That tour was a bloody mess from the very start and nobody came out looking good.

I probably shouldn't have been surprised. I can only imagine how they treated Diana, Lynda and Scherrie... it also seems to me looking back that Mary's whole thing wasn't about Diana but TNA/SFX/Live Nation themselves. Cindy possibly had that same problem. Diana almost never recovered from the tour's failure from what I read.

midnightman
05-26-2013, 03:11 AM
I think Jobete was a BMI company but I'm sure they would have the same.

I was surprised when it was discussed here on SDF previously that Cindy would have signed away her royalties, especially after her seeing what had happened with Florence. I mean, Cindy had been in the business a long time by then so it's surprising she wouldn't have had legal advice advising her against doing that at the time.

I do agree that we should be cautious extending charity in these circumstances. I'd worry about how much would actually get to Cindy, and I also wonder why she would be in such dire straits, frankly, though I don't want to seem cynical or uncaring.

Cindy actually left the Bluebelles at a time she wasn't even allowed to and their manager almost about sued Berry Gordy after learning of what was going on [[Patti and them had no clue then). And even after they decided not to sue, Cindy would say she failed to tell Patti, Nona and Sarah about her secret performances with Diana and Mary when Flo was on leave. Then when it was time to "replace" Flo, Patti, Nona and Sarah found out like everyone else and was so pissed they didn't talk to Cindy for like a year. Cindy finally got to Patti and Patti was all like "you hurt us, you should've told us, I would've been cool with it" and Cindy basically apologized and told her to tell Nona and Sarah she was sorry too but they were less forgiving than Patti was.

So I think Cindy was unfortunately really clueless. And Motown being more experienced didn't actually help matters.

Did you know the song "Can I Speak to You Before You Go to Hollywood" by Labelle was about Cindy?

rrussi
05-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Again, none of the Motown acts made the money they should have, or should I say none of them received the money they should have.

kenneth
05-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Cindy actually left the Bluebelles at a time she wasn't even allowed to and their manager almost about sued Berry Gordy after learning of what was going on [[Patti and them had no clue then). And even after they decided not to sue, Cindy would say she failed to tell Patti, Nona and Sarah about her secret performances with Diana and Mary when Flo was on leave. Then when it was time to "replace" Flo, Patti, Nona and Sarah found out like everyone else and was so pissed they didn't talk to Cindy for like a year. Cindy finally got to Patti and Patti was all like "you hurt us, you should've told us, I would've been cool with it" and Cindy basically apologized and told her to tell Nona and Sarah she was sorry too but they were less forgiving than Patti was.

So I think Cindy was unfortunately really clueless. And Motown being more experienced didn't actually help matters.

Did you know the song "Can I Speak to You Before You Go to Hollywood" by Labelle was about Cindy?

Thanks for sharing that information. I'm not familiar with that song but I'm going to try to find it on YouTube. Thanks again.

milven
05-26-2013, 11:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnMqpAT0ubE

kenneth
05-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Thank you Milven.

revvy
05-26-2013, 11:40 AM
I thought I remember reading that the song was certainly written with Cindy in mind, but also about other people in show business that the girls knew as kids and felt that they had "sold out" because they were making it and becoming affected by the money, the fame and the other perks of show business.

The song itself has a great blending of the 3 voices at the end. That's what made Labelle and even the Bluebells with Cindy so special.

midnightman
05-26-2013, 12:11 PM
I thought I remember reading that the song was certainly written with Cindy in mind, but also about other people in show business that the girls knew as kids and felt that they had "sold out" because they were making it and becoming affected by the money, the fame and the other perks of show business.

The song itself has a great blending of the 3 voices at the end. That's what made Labelle and even the Bluebells with Cindy so special.

Yeah Patti did say other folks like Elton John [[who backed the Bluebelles when they toured the UK back in the day), the Rolling Stones [[whom I think they opened for in the '60s and again in the '70s) and, I think, the Supremes themselves were inspirations behind the song.

But yeah it was definitely a special song. Labelle was a rare group. They brought the church to rock and roll in ways hadn't done since Aretha.

R. Mark Desjardins
05-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Patti Labelle & The Bluebelles completely re-imagined themselves as Labelle. I've read that after auditioning possible replacements for Cindy, and a guy in drag tried out, they decided to remain a trio. I dug their two early Warner Brothers label records and by the time they were signed to RCA with "Pressure Cookin'" which included "Can I Speak To You Before You Go To Hollywood," their new sound was intact. "Lady Marmalade" on the Epic label is what made the group explode on the music charts. I would have loved to have seen them perform live in their heyday. I've heard they had a short run in an off Broadway production entitled "Nile Women," but have not yet found any information about that.

midnightman
05-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Patti Labelle & The Bluebelles completely re-imagined themselves as Labelle. I've read that after auditioning possible replacements for Cindy, and a guy in drag tried out, they decided to remain a trio. I dug their two early Warner Brothers label records and by the time they were signed to RCA with "Pressure Cookin'" which included "Can I Speak To You Before You Go To Hollywood," their new sound was intact. "Lady Marmalade" on the Epic label is what made the group explode on the music charts. I would have loved to have seen them perform live in their heyday. I've heard they had a short run onBroadway in a production entitled "Nile Women," but have never found too much information on the net about that.

Apparently Labelle has done a lot of stuff that has never been covered in the press. I would think Nona would write her own autobiography about all the stuff they experienced during the six years they were "Labelle". There was obviously more history to them then just for "Lady Marmalade".

luke
05-26-2013, 09:10 PM
And its kind of been glossed over that their break-up was extremely intense; I thought I read that Nile Women was going to be their next record but they broke up.

revvy
05-26-2013, 09:19 PM
I still find it odd that when Patti, Nona, Sarah and Cindy were inducted into the R & B Hall of Fame [[at least I think that's what it was), there was no footage, recordings or photos that surfaced of this once-in-a-lifetime reunion. There has to be SOMETHING out there!

http://www.myspace.com/jimbagley/blog/248222902

midnightman
05-26-2013, 09:45 PM
And its kind of been glossed over that their break-up was extremely intense; I thought I read that Nile Women was going to be their next record but they broke up.

Patti said they were working on an album titled Shaman but claimed they could no longer agree on a musical path. Patti had always said Nona favored the group going into harder rock and roll, Sarah was thinking of going to do disco [[which both Patti and Nona hated with a passion) and Patti wanted to go back to R&B ballads [[odd enough most of her solo hits have been ballads or mid-tempo hits, i.e., "If Only You Knew", "On My Own", etc.). Patti said that the night of their final concert, Nona had gotten a nervous breakdown and tore up her dressing room and banged her head on the mirror and had to be sent into a hospital. Patti agrees their breakup was nasty. Somehow they managed to retain their friendship after the split!

midnightman
05-26-2013, 09:46 PM
I still find it odd that when Patti, Nona, Sarah and Cindy were inducted into the R & B Hall of Fame [[at least I think that's what it was), there was no footage, recordings or photos that surfaced of this once-in-a-lifetime reunion. There has to be SOMETHING out there!

http://www.myspace.com/jimbagley/blog/248222902

You mean the Rhythm & Blues Foundation? Yeah, Lauryn Hill gave them the award, I think. JET covered it and there's a picture of Patti, Nona, Sarah and Cindy together accepting the award. As far as I know there was only one photo of them.

luke
05-26-2013, 10:18 PM
There have been some reports that their reunion was tense at times. Sarah has also said some things were not done the way she she wanted. Isaw their opening night show at the Apollo and Patti was quite weird. Nona kind of took over when the sound collapsed and her energy amazing.

reese
05-26-2013, 10:29 PM
You mean the Rhythm & Blues Foundation? Yeah, Lauryn Hill gave them the award, I think. JET covered it and there's a picture of Patti, Nona, Sarah and Cindy together accepting the award. As far as I know there was only one photo of them.

In addition to the JET photo, brief footage of them singing YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE was shown during one of Patti's OPRAH appearances.

midnightman
05-27-2013, 12:11 AM
There have been some reports that their reunion was tense at times. Sarah has also said some things were not done the way she she wanted. Isaw their opening night show at the Apollo and Patti was quite weird. Nona kind of took over when the sound collapsed and her energy amazing.

I did hear Patti was actually acting real weird during the Labelle reunion. Seems Nona was the one to keep the show going. Patti must've been going through one of her diabetic episodes during the tour, which I don't think was real long. I just saw a recent video of Patti and Sarah doing "Lady Marmalade" together.

midnightman
05-27-2013, 12:14 AM
In addition to the JET photo, brief footage of them singing YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE was shown during one of Patti's OPRAH appearances.

Must've been in 2000. They got the award in 1999.

captainjames
05-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Cindy was and still is active in the ministry and I am sure the church will reach out to her if needed.

One of the last performances you mentioned with Labelle [[not the reunion) was in Cincinnati, Ohio and they were really weird on stage. To this day I think Patti and Nona are cool with Cindy. I have not heard Sarah say one way or another but I am sure she is ok with it by now and that Motown told her to shut up or she would not be in.

jillfoster
05-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Though I dont know that Berry should be responsible for all the needs of all former Motown singers[[my former employers sure as hell dont help me out) , Cindy Birdsong has been so gracious to so many people and sure helped out the Supremes and Motown so well Id hope Ms DePasse and others would come to her assistance. I know for a fact that Mary Wilson has gone to bat for Cindy in the past.

The big difference, of course, is that your former employers don't continue to make money off of your work 20, 30, and 40 years later.

luke
05-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Now I dont know about all that Jill lol but I heat ya!

midnightman
05-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Cindy was and still is active in the ministry and I am sure the church will reach out to her if needed.

One of the last performances you mentioned with Labelle [[not the reunion) was in Cincinnati, Ohio and they were really weird on stage. To this day I think Patti and Nona are cool with Cindy. I have not heard Sarah say one way or another but I am sure she is ok with it by now and that Motown told her to shut up or she would not be in.

I didn't know which of the other members say they were cool with Cindy besides Patti. I did read Nona forgave her and it was Sarah that was the holdout. So it was in Cincinnati? I thought it was Baltimore. That's what I recalled Patti saying anyway. I forgot Cindy's still a minister in L.A.

jobeterob
05-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Jill: I'm not sure that Berry is making anything off of these artists anymore. Universal is though. And it appears they are paying royalties to very few of the artists that appeared on the tracks; most of them signed the royalties away for a lump sum years back.

And Berry doesn't appear to even make it off the songs anymore because he doesn't own Jobete anymore either ~ or not much of it.

reese
05-27-2013, 01:28 PM
I didn't know which of the other members say they were cool with Cindy besides Patti. I did read Nona forgave her and it was Sarah that was the holdout. So it was in Cincinnati? I thought it was Baltimore. That's what I recalled Patti saying anyway. I forgot Cindy's still a minister in L.A.

I always read that Nona is [[was) the holdout. In an interview, Cindy mentioned that at their R&B Foundation reunion, Nona hardly spoke.

Kamasu_Jr
05-27-2013, 01:43 PM
I always read that Nona is [[was) the holdout. In an interview, Cindy mentioned that at their R&B Foundation reunion, Nona hardly spoke. From what I've read, the breakup of Labelle was pretty intense. These women had been through really hard times and had stuck together and suddenly they get a hit record and things changed.
I imagine Cindy Birdsong leaving the way she did must have hurt. But Patti Labelle has said if she would have known, she would have understood, because why not go for better when you have struggled? Patti and the Bluebelles struggled, they ate hot dogs and nasty sardines on the road. Have any of Labelle commented on Cindy Birdsong's situation?

reese
05-27-2013, 02:17 PM
From what I've read, the breakup of Labelle was pretty intense. These women had been through really hard times and had stuck together and suddenly they get a hit record and things changed.
I imagine Cindy Birdsong leaving the way she did must have hurt. But Patti Labelle has said sif she would have known, she would have understood, because why not go for better when you have struggled? Have any of Labelle commented on Cindy Birdsong's situation?

All I've heard about Cindy's situation has been from this thread. I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere.

midnightman
05-27-2013, 02:33 PM
From what I've read, the breakup of Labelle was pretty intense. These women had been through really hard times and had stuck together and suddenly they get a hit record and things changed.
I imagine Cindy Birdsong leaving the way she did must have hurt. But Patti Labelle has said sif she would have known, she would have understood, because why not go for better when you have struggled? Have any of Labelle commented on Cindy Birdsong's situation?

"Lady Marmalade" definitely bruised their egos from what I read. Now that you reminded me, reese, yeah it was Nona, not Sarah. As far as I know, nobody from Labelle has spoken about this supposed illness. Odd, the Motown associates have said something but they haven't?

captainjames
05-27-2013, 04:57 PM
All three women were in a rif over it from the beginning - Nona came around and is no longer throwing wigs down the hallway and is even friends with Mary Wilson now.

StuBass1
05-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Janie Bradford is a true angel. If she is assisting in raising funds [[through her foundation) for this or any other cause, you can rest assured that those funds and donations will go directly where indicated.Not that it's necessary, but I will personally vouch for Ms Bradfrords integrity and intentions. I have had dealings with Janie Bradford and she is a true inspiration to myself and many others.

Stu

midnightman
05-27-2013, 07:16 PM
All three women were in a rif over it from the beginning - Nona came around and is no longer throwing wigs down the hallway and is even friends with Mary Wilson now.

Interesting because I knew the Supremes and Bluebelles had a little rivalry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3tbNtv4r0

luke
05-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Nona has/had been the holdout per Cindy.

luke
05-27-2013, 10:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey_smP8tBJ4 Sarah this month in NYC.

captainjames
05-28-2013, 12:29 AM
rivalry ?
yes they did but its gone
Patti and Diana are friends
Nona and Mary are friends
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

captainjames
05-28-2013, 01:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb22p-ykMbc

midnightman
05-28-2013, 11:40 AM
rivalry ?
yes they did but its gone
Patti and Diana are friends
Nona and Mary are friends
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know that. I was just saying. :)

luke
05-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Patti and Mary are friends.

marv2
05-28-2013, 05:50 PM
For years and years. Patti sang for Mary's son's funeral.

midnightman
05-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Patti's friends with a lot of the Motowners it seems. Maybe that's why she was invited to Motown Returns to the Apollo.

marv2
05-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Patti's friends with a lot of the Motowners it seems. Maybe that's why she was invited to Motown Returns to the Apollo.

She's Otis Williams former girlfriend.

midnightman
05-28-2013, 09:27 PM
She's Otis Williams former girlfriend.

Well I knew that for years lol

I've followed Patti's career in a way.

captainjames
05-29-2013, 08:59 AM
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005-08-03/features/0508030006_1_patti-labelle-diana-ross-miss-ross

LaBelle's 4-decade feud with Ross ends at lunch
August 03, 2005|By Geoff Brown, Tribune staff reporter

Patti LaBelle stayed mad at fellow rhythm and blues diva Diana Ross for a very long time--38 years, to be exact. But sitting with Ross at a "luncheon table for, like, three hours" zapped the hard feelings.

In raucously funny detail, LaBelle discussed the grudge during a meet-and-greet event last week, heralding her latest album, "Classic Moments," at the DuSable Museum of African American History. The affair was hosted by Dedry Jones as part of his occasional series of artist appearances under the aegis of the South Side music store The Music Experience.

Ads By Google
Unique Fundraising Idea
Generates $13,957 from fundraiser Learn more & Get a free Info-Kit
lp.amadoragiftoflove.com/Fundraiser
Dreamgirls in Dayton
All you've got to do is dream! June 4-9 at the Schuster Center.
www.victoriatheatre.com

You would think Ross had stolen her man, the way LaBelle carried on about her for almost four decades. But LaBelle said it really started because of Cindy Birdsong's 1967 defection from Patti LaBelle & the Bluebelles to Ross' Supremes. The bad blood evaporated recently when Oprah Winfrey invited LaBelle and Ross to a weekend Legends event on the West Coast.

The 61-year-old Grammy Award winner said one thing led to another and, well, here's LaBelle's 100 m.p.h. version of events:

"I was mad at Diana Ross for many, many years. ... One night we went to perform--[and] Cindy Birdsong's was all up in Detroit! Diana Ross called her to take Florence Ballard's place [[Ballard had been fired) without telling me first. ... So of course I was [angry] with Miss Ross.

"After a year I did forgive Cindy ... [but] I never came to grips with saying anything to Diana, because I think I would've beat the hell out of her. So instead of me beating her physically, I beat her verbally. Whenever I got a chance, I would say, `I hate her.'"

The wall between them grew brick by badmouth brick through third parties--and was cemented by a shot at LaBelle's weight by Ross on the "Arsenio Hall Show," LaBelle said.

Then "Oprah Winfrey gave that beautiful Legends, a weekend about two months ago."

And, as seating arrangements would have it, Ross was there, at the same luncheon table as Mary J. Blige, Mariah Carey, Chaka Khan--and LaBelle.

"So Diana would leap up every now and then and say something to me, and I said, OK, I can't be rude ... I have to respond.

"And so I had seen [Ross'] kids that day, and her kids were loving the fool out of Patti LaBelle. Honest to God. ... Like [Ross' daughter] Tracee [Ellis Ross] wanted me to be her mother on [her TV sitcom] `Girlfriends.' ... So I was saying that's such a pleasure, such an honor for her to want Patti LaBelle in her life. Maybe she doesn't know about her mother and Patti! Maybe there is no feud, maybe there's all stuff in my mind and maybe in Diana's mind ...

"So Diana asked me a real personal question ... a girlfriend question. So I said, well, give me your number and I'll call you back with the information. I called her back, we started talking. I swear to God, we've been talking for the last--since Oprah's weekend. We've been girlfriends."

"I wanna tell you guys that, if you have any doubts about her, let 'em go. Because I think she's a good person."

[B]In Patti's own words she started talking to Cindy a year after she left ~~

midnightman
05-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Yeah I did say that Patti stopped talking to her for about a year so yeah that's about right.

revvy
05-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Funny how everybody wants to beat Diana up! LOL Patti wanted to, Mary could certainly take her and Florence actually did! I personally would have derived much pleasure in strangling her myself based on her behavior during the Return to Love negotiations. Aside from the fact she knows how to piss people off, I agree that underneath her prima donna exterior she is indeed a good person with a kind heart...more now than ever. We all know she is an exceptional mother. Her kids turned out amazingly well. That says a lot right there.

marybrewster
05-29-2013, 07:00 PM
For someone that "hated" Diana so much, here's Patti hootin' and hollerin' at Diana Ross tribute a DECADE before this article:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Si5Nsi71E

jobeterob
05-29-2013, 07:52 PM
After all these years, most of these people get on reasonably well..............but, firstly they all know what they have to do and what they have to say in order to get some publicity and stay current and in the news.

midnightman
05-29-2013, 08:42 PM
For someone that "hated" Diana so much, here's Patti hootin' and hollerin' at Diana Ross tribute a DECADE before this article:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Si5Nsi71E

That's why I don't believe she ever "hated" Diana. In fact, three years before Patti "squashed" the one-sided feud [[Diana has always admired Patti from what I heard), they were sitting together in a photo around 2002, the same year Patti claimed she wanted to "cut that heifer up" for "stealing" her and the Bluebelles' dresses 40 years before lol

captainjames
05-29-2013, 08:54 PM
The rumors from Martha and Patti about Diana stealing the same outfits that the other groups wore always made me laugh. Diana use to make the outfits for the group so when she saw the outfits the other groups made I guess she called MOTOWN and said I need MONEY !!! for gowns .........LOL

s soon ad WDOL hit they had new designers and everyone was copying them.

money for new dresses

captainjames
05-29-2013, 08:59 PM
The No Hit Supremes use to say they barely had money for cab fare so that's why Diana made the outfits. I guess Diana said CHARGE IT, I am going to be a Supreme !!!! LOL

midnightman
05-29-2013, 10:37 PM
The rumors from Martha and Patti about Diana stealing the same outfits that the other groups wore always made me laugh. Diana use to make the outfits for the group so when she saw the outfits the other groups made I guess she called MOTOWN and said I need MONEY !!! for gowns .........LOL

As soon as WDOL hit they had new designers and everyone was copying them.

money for new dresses

It's ironic. In Martha's version, she also said the Supremes perform before them. Did Patti and Martha try to create drama where there wasn't none? That also begs the question, what year was all of this? 1963? lol

If anything Patti and 'em should've sued Motown themselves if they were that upset instead of taking it out on Diana, Mary and Flo lol of course the Vandellas didn't have that option since they were in the same label. LOL

That also reminds me, if Patti hated Diana so much, then why was she and Diana on the same stage at Motown Returns to the Apollo singing "I Wanna Know What Love Is" and Patti's voice basically shouted over everyone's else. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIowGYbWHIU

Hahaha

Patti claims Diana personally called her out but all Diana said was "Help me somebody!" and Patti went forward before everyone else did and she gave her the mic. :P

midnightman
05-29-2013, 10:39 PM
The No Hit Supremes use to say they barely had money for cab fare so that's why Diana made the outfits. I guess Diana said CHARGE IT, I am going to be a Supreme !!!! LOL

I remember Florence saying that in the book LOL I wonder did Martha and Patti have more money than the Supremes did at that specific time? They were the paupers then before they became the "Princesses" lol

alexgarret
05-29-2013, 11:10 PM
I think Miss Birdsong would be embarrassed by this thread. Shame on us.

captainjames
05-30-2013, 05:22 AM
No offense to Cindy I am sure she is aware of all the drama that surrounds this post which is suppose to be about her but, I have yet been able to get anyone to confirm what is going on with her and her lack of finances regarding her health. Since t here are other resources that could be probably available to her.

On the subject of Patti and others in regard to their outfits I asked Mary Wilson once regarding this during her Supreme collection display. I was hoping she would say they had been stolen or too worn out to show but her response was more like she didn't have any idea what I was referring to. With that being said I thought I had bad information, drama or had read the wrong book. Also, I am sure Cindy would have insight to this as well but I have never heard her deny or confirm it being true.

marybrewster
05-30-2013, 08:57 AM
I think Miss Birdsong would be embarrassed by this thread. Shame on us.

I think every living Supreme would be embarassed by ALL threads.

thanxal
05-30-2013, 09:06 AM

I couldn't agree more, MaryBrewster. People have a way of digging up non-existent issues, creating hypothetical ones, or ones otherwise completely imagined and turning them into the cat-fight of the century. I love the Supremes, Vandellas, Tops and Temps and all of Motown, but I can't imagine how shallow the lives of those who obsess on the slightest details, real and imagined, must be. And then to turn it into on-going and long standing fights. I guess it is merely a symptom of hyper-obsessed fandom. My guess is that the stars who are the subject of these types of threads are by now long used to this type of behavior from their fans and they simply ignore it.

Methuselah2
05-30-2013, 07:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey_smP8tBJ4 Sarah this month in NYC.

This new, live version by Sarah is makin' me crazy--it's just too good! Absolutely sensational. Thanks so much for posting it, Luke.

midnightman
05-30-2013, 07:55 PM

I doubt they come to this site anymore lol

Didn't someone say Mary visited this site and was disgusted by what she saw?

jobeterob
05-30-2013, 08:00 PM
I thought the Apollo finale was a wonderful example of how a stage full of egos can make some musical magic ~ Patti was specifically called over by Diana and Diana seemed to have no issue with any showboating by Patti; all Patti did was sing like Patti sings. And the 2nd microphone that got sent over went all over the stage on it's way to Diana, in a very professional way. And the performances were great.

I think this thread is kind of an embarrassment to Cindy Birdsong; I have never understood the need to go public when someone needs assistance. If you need to go public, it immediately comes across as "about your ego". You can help quietly without a press release.

If the person in need of assistance consents to the publicity, that is one thing. If they don't or if they are deceased, sober second thoughts should be taken before going public.

smark21
05-30-2013, 08:13 PM
On the subject of the rivalry, no doubt there were rivalries and hard feelings between the various groups when they were young, ambitious, up and coming performers fighting for a piece of the pie, but one would hope as they get older and find their place in the business they’re able to set aside some of the hard feelings and at least appreciate the talent and hard work their one time rivals had and put in to make it in the music business.

I’m reading a book about the song “Hallejujah” and how it made the journey from obscurity to standard in the last 30 years. The author interviewed the singer Rufus Wainwright who covered the song for the Shreck soundtrack. At first he resisted the song because it was most associated with a singer he considered a rival back in their up and coming on the local NYC scene days, Jeff Buckley, who many considered to have recorded the definitive version of the song. Buckley died in the late 90s. Wainwright finally listened to Buckley’s version of the song and was blown away and now regrets being jealous and resentful of Buckley and he realized that by avoiding Buckley’s shows, he was deprived himself of watching and hearing someone he realized was a very special talent. With maturity hopefully comes wisdom and a realization of how silly rivalries can be.

midnightman
05-30-2013, 08:17 PM
I thought the Apollo finale was a wonderful example of how a stage full of egos can make some musical magic ~ Patti was specifically called over by Diana and Diana seemed to have no issue with any showboating by Patti; all Patti did was sing like Patti sings. And the 2nd microphone that got sent over went all over the stage on it's way to Diana, in a very professional way. And the performances were great.

I think this thread is kind of an embarrassment to Cindy Birdsong; I have never understood the need to go public when someone needs assistance. If you need to go public, it immediately comes across as "about your ego". You can help quietly without a press release.

If the person in need of assistance consents to the publicity, that is one thing. If they don't or if they are deceased, sober second thoughts should be taken before going public.

That's why I believed Cindy Birdsong wouldn't have approved of this. Last I heard she was actually doing alright so who knows what's going on?

blueskies
05-30-2013, 09:55 PM
This new, live version by Sarah is makin' me crazy--it's just too good! Absolutely sensational. Thanks so much for posting it, Luke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThBCpO-HHqQY you might like this.

Methuselah2
05-31-2013, 12:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThBCpO-HHqQY you might like this.

I sure do! Ooo-wee! Many thanks Blueskies. Hadn't heard or seen this one before, so it was a real treat and great surprise.

rod_rick
05-31-2013, 01:26 AM
That's why I believed Cindy Birdsong wouldn't have approved of this. Last I heard she was actually doing alright so who knows what's going on?

I can see how some might think that Cindy wouldn't like her business out here like this, but the way I look at it, if CIndy needs help as much as she has given to the fans with her talent and spirit of love I don't see it as a slight but as a way the fans can send their love, prayers, and financial assistance if she needs it. I don't have a lot but I would like to donate something to help out to Cindy who is such a jewel in my eyes.

Methuselah2
05-31-2013, 05:01 AM
A bit more of Sarah Dash in great voice from earlier this month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCZTDTOv8Sc

marybrewster
05-31-2013, 08:24 AM
God Bless you, Sister Cindy.

I certainly hope many of those in her inner-circle, like that one MotownGuy [[?) that's always posting pictures of him and the Supremes [[Cindy, Scherrie) is able to step up and repay someone who has obviously given him so much joy over the years.

More importantly, I hope Miss Cindy is able to heal from whatever ails her.

supremester
06-01-2013, 09:56 PM
This is sad and very, very strange. I'm sorry Cindy is ill, however what kind of crap is this? If Cindy is needing funds, why on earth is she being made to wait 5 months to get them? I applaud Mary for talking to Janie Bradford, but remember: Mary is not what you'd call camera-shy [[anyone recall Mary Well's attached-at-the-hip-in-front-of-cameras bff Mary Wilson?) Now Mary has agreed to present Cindy with this check publicly?????? Geeeeesh! I'll match how much Mary gives and, if like with Mary Wells, Mary's "donation" is publicity, I'll be proud to stand with her at The HAL Awards and give it to Cindy. I'm sorry, I don't mean to make this an anti Mary thing, but doesn't this stink like a month old Apollo Theatre radiator hot dog? I will personally write to Janie to see if there isn't a more immediate and direct way to contribute. I'm certain B of A would be happy to set up a fund.
Also, why is this Berry Gordy's problem? Mary & Pedro fired Cindy 37 years ago - Cindy was in her mid 30's - she had more than enough years to become solvent. I think Cindy may be sweet but not too bright - how ignorant to sign away your royalties? Why did she quit at all? Who was stopping Cindy from writing her book or being a Flo or a dentist even? It's easy to blame Motown and Berry or Mary, but Cindy, like everyone, is responsible for herself. Anyone who has a job and is not being paid correctly has the option to find other work. Cindy chose to come back. Cindy chose not to take 7 figures from RTL. She later regretted it, but my point is her situation is nobody's fault. I'm sure Miss Ross has continued to assist Cindy as needed. They never stopped being friends since they met and Miss ross does not publicize her generousnosities [[new word!) as a rule. I know of several low key, on going charitable programs she has going that are not publicized.

Anyone in need is in need, I'm happy to contribute to Cindy, but I agree with the masses that there must be a better way.

captainjames
06-02-2013, 06:13 PM
supremester I understand what you are saying~~~~~~~~~~

rod_rick
06-06-2013, 08:56 PM
supremester I understand what you are saying~~~~~~~~~~

Has anyone received any additional information on CIndy?

Soul Sister
06-07-2013, 11:40 AM
She should have in place AFTRA-SAG Health & Pension Plan, getting a couple checks from them a month plus many yearly checks. Along with the usual music checks from BMI, EMI, UMG, Sound Exchange, etc...etc.... Royalties from her records and Residuals from any Acting roles she's had. The Supremes have big royalties from their records such as their albums with [[Jean, Mary, & Cindy) she recorded on.

There are legitimate organizations in place that may help if she or her rep contacts them, such as:
* The R&B Foundation [[which biggest share of aid goes especially for Motown Artists).
* Music Cares [[Elton John & a lot of big earning stars donate too).
* Society of Singers
* The Jazz Foundation of American [[for Jazz Artists & Jazz Musicians, is a great one for those Artists).

Perhaps her fellow Motown Artists [[besides Dinana & Mary) & Berry Gordy would all chip in a little to go a long way.

There are "hundreds" of Artist & Musicians in need "everyday" for medical reasons and lack of work, that contact these organizations daily.
Being a former Bluebell and especially a Supreme [[singer and has done a little acting), Cindy should be able to get some help.

I wish her a full recovery.

S.S.

BayouMotownMan
06-07-2013, 01:03 PM
An optimistic post Soul Sister, but Cindy, like so many other Motown artists, signed away all rights to future royalties in the 70s. To my knowledge only Diana and Mary receive royalties

Soul Sister
06-07-2013, 01:56 PM
If, in fact, she did sign away her royaties to Motown....that has nothing to do with AFTRA-SAG or Sound Exchange [[there's good money from Sound Exchange).

S.S.

midnight johnny
06-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Now what I don't get is that Bradsupremes started this thread and he hasn't posted since.

bradsupremes
06-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Now what I don't get is that Bradsupremes started this thread and he hasn't posted since.

Midnight Johnny, I started this thread in hopes we could help Cindy out, but since the thread kind of went off topic about who's friends with who and people were not all receptive of this then I felt it was best to just let it go. I didn't do my research like I should have because I knew Janie Bradford and Mary's hearts were in the right place. I was just putting the information out there.

midnight johnny
06-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Midnight Johnny, I started this thread in hopes we could help Cindy out, but since the thread kind of went off topic about who's friends with who and people were not all receptive of this then I felt it was best to just let it go. I didn't do my research like I should have because I knew Janie Bradford and Mary's hearts were in the right place. I was just putting the information out there.

There you are!

jobeterob
06-07-2013, 06:22 PM
You did a good deed Brad, with good intentions. In today's over media'd world, you never know for sure what is real anymore. But we all know your intentions were the best.

rod_rick
06-07-2013, 07:01 PM

Hey Brad
I thank you for bringing Cindy plight to our attention. I just lost a dear friend and believe that the death could have been prevented if there was more assitance given to the situation and if others knew the real condition their circumstances. I believe most of what happen was from stress. If you give the ok on this thread I will make a contribution to the HAL award for Cindy Birdsong.

Penny
06-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Hey Brad
I thank you for bringing Cindy plight to our attention. I just lost a dear friend and believe that the death could have been prevented if there was more assitance given to the situation and if others knew the real condition their circumstances. I believe most of what happen was from stress. If you give the ok on this thread I will make a contribution to the HAL award for Cindy Birdsong.

I just wish those that are still singing and entertaining would do a benefit show for Cindy and the others hurting, too. We would then know where the money was really going.

Penny:cool:
AVON for ALL

jobeterob
06-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Even if that was done Penny, there is still no guarantee of what would reach Ms. Birdsong or anyone in need. A lot or all of it could go to costs, fees, rentals, hotels, travel, managers, accountants and even lawyers!

There was a lot of criticism of Dionne Warwick for many of her apparent philanthropic ventures and for all the costs that went off the top of them.

The real way to get money to those in need is to see them face to face and give them cold hard cash.

stalebagel
06-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Even if that was done Penny, there is still no guarantee of what would reach Ms. Birdsong or anyone in need. A lot or all of it could go to costs, fees, rentals, hotels, travel, managers, accountants and even lawyers!

There was a lot of criticism of Dionne Warwick for many of her apparent philanthropic ventures and for all the costs that went off the top of them.

The real way to get money to those in need is to see them face to face and give them cold hard cash.

Well said! I'm in total agreement.

midnight johnny
06-07-2013, 08:46 PM

I was a little surprised that this thread you started with a certain sensitivity to Cindy's plight had become such a circus.

Weslley Francisco
01-08-2015, 08:47 PM
God bless Cindy Birdsong, I hope it improves his illness :[[