PDA

View Full Version : Troy Davis -- Marvin Gaye's Road Manager

test

jsmith
05-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi SDFers.
I'm trying to track down info on a Troy Davis [[not the jazz drummer).
There are three lots of deeds by guys I know of who went by that name but I THINK they may all have related to the same guy.

The info I have is that a guy who came from outside Batilmore worked in the 60's as Ben E King's road manager. This guy then went on to work [[writing songs) with Swamp Dogg [[Jerry Williams) in the early 70's. He was road manager for the likes of Doris Duke and continued to work with Swamp Dogg for at least a couple more years.
This guy also wrote songs recorded by Jungle Jim on Renee and by a Florida outfit, Pink Champagne. This guy also wrote a load of songs with a Kenneth Head [[probably in New York).
At a different time, a guy by the same name was Marvin Gaye's road manager. I'm told this guy was from outside DC -- but that ain't far from Baltimore !!. By all accounts, this Troy Davis got hold of some Marvin Gaye recordings and arranged for these to get released .... bringing law suits down on himself by the rightful copyright owners. This guy later went on [[in the mid 80's) to work at Hartford [[Connecticut) based Nickel Recording Studio.
I'm trying to track down any more info on this / these Troy Davis's and really want to establish if they are all the same guy [[a photo of the guy would be just great). CHEERS.

jsmith
05-20-2013, 11:19 AM
BTW, further info.
The Pink Champagne record [["He's Back, Gonna Do It Again") escaped in 1980 initially on the CMM label. It then also came out on Florida based [[Tampa) Capquaris Records [[with slightly different producers being credited).
This was a tribute record [[a bit cheesy -- mock spoken bits by celebs) to Muhammad Ali.
So the Troy Davis I am seeking info on was working in the music biz in the 60's, 70's & 80's.
CHEERS.