PDA

View Full Version : Interesting CD: Detroit Rhythm Co.

test

marybrewster
05-20-2013, 09:43 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Rhythm-Co-Various-Artists/dp/B00079YHTO

Picked up this CD at a thrift store over the weekend; what drew me to it was the eclectic track listing:

Songs: The way you do the things you do-motorcity All-stars,Heatwave-Martha Reeves and The Vandellas,Feel the need in me-The Detroit Emeralds,Stop in the name of love-The Supremes,Baby I need your loving-Joe Stubbs,Come see about me-Velvelettes,Doctor's orders-Carol Douglas,Shop around-Miracles,Shoop shoop song[[It's in his song)-Betty Everett,Don't mess with Bill-Marvelettes

It appeared to be one of those "MotorCity" collections, but songs like "Doctor's Orders" and "The Shoop Shoop Song", to my ears, appear to be the originals.

One thing I noticed that maybe I never noticed before: on the "new" versions of "Stop!" by the FLOS and "Heatwave" by MR&TV, I only hear the leads, Scherrie and Martha. Does anyone know: when Levine recorded these tracks, were Lynda and Jean [[or Lynda and Sundray) and Roz and Nettie used on backgroud, or was it simply session singers? The backgrounds seem similar, and I can't distinguish anyone but the leads. As far as "Bill" by the Marvelettes; it's Wanda, but I don't know if Gladys was a part of those recording sessions. I can only imagine who the "Marvelettes" were at that time.

BayouMotownMan
05-21-2013, 07:36 PM
The MotorCity tracks were recorded roughly between 1989 to about 1992.

westgrandboulevard
05-24-2013, 05:42 AM
Mary

If they are the same versions as previously released, I think that is The Andantes with Martha on 'Heat Wave'. I love Martha's voice on this version.

Not sure about 'Stop! - I don't hear Jean in the background. It could be session singers, or just Scherrie and Lynda, or possibly Scherrie backing herself - as Carolyn Crawford did, on most if not all of her MotorCity recordings.

Roz & Nettie may not have backed Martha on any of her recordings. It could be The Andantes on 'Step into my shoes' - ?

I'd say Roz & Nettie are on background for Bettye LaVette's version of 'Jimmy Mack'. They did record two tracks themselves [['Running And Hiding' was one, can't remember the other offhand). Lois Reeves did a couple [[including 'Patience is a virtue') and Betty Kelly did at least one track, "Giving Me The Runaround", which I think is great and, for me, has a lot of sweet charm.

Gladys did most of the leads for the Marvelettes MotorCity sessions, with many of the tracks being released quite some time after the label folded. I think both Gladys and Wanda took only the leads, and didn't contribute to the backgrounds.

Hope that helps, and some of it is just my own opinion :)

marybrewster
05-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Mary

If they are the same versions as previously released, I think that is The Andantes with Martha on 'Heat Wave'. I love Martha's voice on this version.

Not sure about 'Stop! - I don't hear Jean in the background. It could be session singers, or just Scherrie and Lynda, or possibly Scherrie backing herself - as Carolyn Crawford did, on most if not all of her MotorCity recordings.

Roz & Nettie may not have backed Martha on any of her recordings. It could be The Andantes on 'Step into my shoes' - ?

I'd say Roz & Nettie are on background for Bettye LaVette's version of 'Jimmy Mack'. They did record two tracks themselves [['Running And Hiding' was one, can't remember the other offhand). Lois Reeves did a couple [[including 'Patience is a virtue') and Betty Kelly did at least one track, "Giving Me The Runaround", which I think is great and, for me, has a lot of sweet charm.

Gladys did most of the leads for the Marvelettes MotorCity sessions, with many of the tracks being released quite some time after the label folded. I think both Gladys and Wanda took only the leads, and didn't contribute to the backgrounds.

Hope that helps, and some of it is just my own opinion :)

THANK YOU for your wonderful reply. You answered a lot of my questions!

For "historical" value, I've always apprreciated Levine's recordings. I know many have said they are not of the best quality, but who else recorded a Lois Reeves solo, or The Original Vandellas solo? I think they're great and I've come to ejoy them more and more over the years.

westgrandboulevard
05-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Mary

You're very welcome. I agree that Ian Levine's recordings possess an inherent historical value - it's just that much of the potential has yet to be realised.

If you've not already done so, you might try the thread started by Stone Diamond on Motown Forum : 'The Contours - The Tracks of My Tears' ,as I think it may interest you....