PDA

View Full Version : Shades of blue

test

Kamasu_Jr
05-16-2013, 08:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj01PxcZmvY

marv2
05-16-2013, 11:03 PM
It's funny watching this all these years later. The girl singer works at Home Depot up in Troy, MI now.

nosey
05-17-2013, 10:44 AM
This was a hit in Philly; never knew they were white though. Thanks Kam.

rrussi
05-17-2013, 01:32 PM
I saw them perform on Dick Clark's Where The Action Is tour in the summer of '66.
Their follow-up single, Little Orphan Boy, should not have been the follow-up.

floyjoy678
05-17-2013, 03:41 PM
I've seen these guys a few years ago, they opened up for the Vogues. I don't know if they were any of the original members [[the Vogues had 2 original members), but they put on a pretty good show.

soulwally
05-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Written, of course, by Charles Hatcher [[Edwin Starr). I used to have this on the UK Sue label - a very collectable tune and, it's got to be said, a timeless classic. But who was John Rhys [[I think it was) the record's prroducer?

ralpht
05-17-2013, 06:46 PM
John Rhys had produced the song independently, and then brought the master to Harry Balk at Impact Records. Harry flipped for the song and asked John what he wanted for it. John told him, a job. Which he got. Before that, John did a stint at Ed Wingate's Golden World Records. This is where I first met him. He was assigned to be the producer of the newly signed "Sunliners", the group I played keyboards in.
In later years, John as an independent producer once again, would bring my Tera Shirma Studios much business by securing various recording deals with various record companies.

We have remained very close friends through the years and stay in touch often.

mowest
05-17-2013, 11:32 PM
The "Shades" charted in late 1966 with "Happiness." It's upbeat like "Oh How Happy" with that Motown-inspired sound. Have a listen; hope you like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwSGvlgtptU

phil
05-18-2013, 03:42 AM
Their album on Impact :

http://www.redtelephone66.com/albumart/shadesofblue.jpg

kenneth
05-18-2013, 06:01 AM
Found a blurb about the group history and current lineup:

http://www.theshadesofblueonline.com/the-shades-of-blue-history.php

roger
05-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Lovely song and a great find Kamasu ..

It has always seemed to me that EDWIN STARR's own version of "Oh How Happy", released on his "Soul Master" L.P., used the same backing track as the hit version by THE SHADES OF BLUE.

Does anyone know the real story behind this?

Roger

ralpht
05-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Those interested in more of John Rhys can check out his excellent web-site Bluepower.com

mowest
05-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Lovely song and a great find Kamasu ..

It has always seemed to me that EDWIN STARR's own version of "Oh How Happy", released on his "Soul Master" L.P., used the same backing track as the hit version by THE SHADES OF BLUE.

Does anyone know the real story behind this?

Roger

I just listened to part of Edwin Starr's version on itunes. The backing track is not the same as the "Shades" version.

splanky
05-19-2013, 09:57 AM
A treat and a half, Kam. I only knew Edwin's and The Jackson 5 cover with Jermaine on lead
so I had to google them this morning. Too bad they only lasted 4 years , they were good.
marv, do you know that Linda is working in Home Depot as a fact?....Just curious...

soulwally
05-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks ralph for your first hand info. I'd seen the clip before, and there was another on YouTube with them miming To the track on a U.S. navy ship.

dvus7
05-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Those interested in more of John Rhys can check out his excellent web-site Bluepower.com

Hey, Ralph....Given your previous insight!!!!! Wht is the relationship between John Rhys & Barney Ales????

ralpht
05-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Dvus7,
I'm not sure there was any relationship. Barney was wrapped up in Motown and John was, basically, an indepenmdent producer with no Motown ties. Unless there is something I'm not aware of. The next time I talk with John I could ask him.

dvus7
05-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Dvus7,
I'm not sure there was any relationship. Barney was wrapped up in Motown and John was, basically, an indepenmdent producer with no Motown ties. Unless there is something I'm not aware of. The next time I talk with John I could ask him.

Is the John Rhys the same John Rhys of Shades of Blue and Bluepower???