PDA

View Full Version : ~~what do you think is the best song ever written??~~

test

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
05-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Hello Everyone,

Here is the opposite question to the other thread.

What do you think is the best song ever written?? It doesn't have to be your favorite song. It can be a song you think is written to perfection lyrically and melodically.

My choice is "Stardust" written by Hoagy Carmichael. I think the melody and lyrics are perfect. I have many favorite songs, and it's difficult to narrow it to just one.

I look forward to reading your choices.:)

~~Mary~~

Ngroove
05-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Temptations' "My Girl" - A) Timeless, B) Classic - everyone of any age, unless they're born yesterday, completely dependent on immaterial new music, knows, C) Sappy, yes, but in a good way, believe me, if used to serenade the one you love, she'll melt like butter, by the "My Girl, My Girl, My Love", if can hit the Ruffin falsetto, more power in you.

smark21
05-16-2013, 08:19 PM
There’s are many high quality songs so this is difficult. The one that comes immediately to mind is “All The things You Are” by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein. It started as a show tune, quickly became a popular song and a true standard. And then it became a favorite of jazz players as well. Song is strong musically and the lyrics are truly romantic with just a dash of melancholy.

Soul Sister
05-16-2013, 08:35 PM
That's hard to say, sooooo many great ones. Of course, "Stardust" is gorgeous and would be high up there for me perhaps my Number 1 too!!

S.S

smooth
05-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Hi Mary and Soul Sister...

I have two... I Know I'm Breaking the Rules [[Smile!)

Nat King Cole... Unforgettable
Frank Sinatra... Fly Me To The Moon

Abraham Smooth Wilson

robb_k
05-16-2013, 11:53 PM
There are thousands of fabulously-written, excellent songs. It would do many, many great injustice to claim one is "better" than all the rest. My favourite might change every day.

I love so very many. I have 90 minute tapes of one song only, by 32-34 different groups for the following songs:

"Over The Rainbow"
"The White Cliffs of Dover"
"White Christmas"
"Blue Moon"
"The Way You look Tonight"

I could do that with so many of the 1930s-1950s standards.

daviddesper
05-17-2013, 12:14 AM
I would have to agree with Robb that there could be thousands that would come to mind if we all had the time to sit down and think about it. But here are just a few that come to mind in the few minutes that I have now:

Vanessa Williams "Save the Best For Last"
Freda Payne "For No Reason"
Phyllis Hyman "Give Me One Good Reason to Stay"
Dionne Warwick "You Made Me Want to Love Again"
Shirley Bassey "I'd Do it All Again"

In the case of the latter three ladies, I love just about everything they ever recorded, so I could nominate probably 20-30 songs by each one of them. I just picked one example from each.

robb_k
05-17-2013, 12:43 AM
Many of the songs of Jerome Kern, Harold Ahrlen, Lerner and Lowe, Leonard Bernstein, Curtis Mayfield, Smokey Robinson, Goffin and King, Van McCoy, and many others wrote were so terrific, that is is impossible to choose one.

Ngroove
05-17-2013, 01:06 AM
This is probably the cheesiest Atlantic Starr has ever gotten; but at the same time, it's sophisticated, how the words are just beated and blasted, not to mention it strongly speaks to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiE4t_wlbyI

Ngroove
05-17-2013, 01:38 AM
This no lie; makes me cry every listen; because I fully believe 100% of it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Ua835sudU

marv2
05-17-2013, 01:39 AM
"Always and Forever" - Heatwave

thomas96
05-17-2013, 03:20 PM
In my opinion, the best song ever written is "With A Child's Heart" written by Sylvia Moy, Henry Cosby and I believe Vicky Basemore [[?). Amazing chord progression, great melody, and beautiful lyrics. I could listen to it every day for the rest of my life and never get sick of it.

144man
05-18-2013, 06:49 AM
Bing Crosby's "Thanks For the Memory" is a near-perfect song. "Every Time We Say Goodbye" is a close second.

luke
05-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Gimme Shelter is a great, great song.

Roberta75
05-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Dancing in the streets by the First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves.

staceys dad
05-18-2013, 05:07 PM
i have 3 faves.... sad girl... carol anderson my funeral song [[ greatest northern soul record EVER) :cool:.....marvin and tammi aint no mountain ......and etta james at last.....if they where the last songs i ever heard i would die a happy man.....[[ not that i want to die yet...;) )

ollie
05-19-2013, 03:41 AM
Too many to name, the song of my life is the best.

mr soul
05-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Night & Day

splanky
05-19-2013, 09:26 AM
I'm with robb k on this, I don't think anyone can truly say what the best song ever written is
or was, everybody's really only listing their own personal favorites. That said, though mine
would also change every day, heck, every hour, right now I will say the one song that really
made a "mad crazy big" impression on me, as the kids say, was Pharoah Sanders and Leon
Thomas's The Creator Has A Master Plan and I'm not a very religious man. Just that full
recording with the lyrics and the music, Leon's yodelling and Pharoah's saxes and flutes
knocked me the funk out decades ago and still does. I wouldn't link it here because it's over
a half hour long but there are edits on youtube.....BTW,Mr Soul, there are various songs
titled Night and Day so if you don't name the artist I can't tell which one you're talking about...

Ngroove
05-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Always found this a perfect song, always feels like Springtime every time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQycjBcrQNQ

glencro
05-19-2013, 04:10 PM
The lyrics in "My Latest, My Greatest Inspiration" take me to a different place every time that I hear that song

tjl
05-19-2013, 04:31 PM
"Would I Love You" - The Miracles

[[also my wedding song)

JimBagley
05-20-2013, 02:04 PM
God Only Knows

Jerry Oz
05-20-2013, 02:10 PM
"Always and Forever" - Heatwave
I'm probably the biggest fan of Rod Temperton on these boards and this song was an absolute gem. I'm not sure if it's the best song that he's written, but I have never heard a better performance of a song by a group [[Heatwave). Johnny Wilder, Jr. was truly a gifted singer; the only song that I compare to it from a singer perspective is "Reasons" by EW&F with Philip Bailey singing so well, the music hardly matters.

I don't know what the best song ever written was, but "La Mer" always takes me with its simplicity and lyrics. I love that song. I will add "Cheek to Cheek" and "Who's Loving You" for starters.

Jerry Oz
05-20-2013, 02:12 PM
God Only Knows

Was this the name of a song or a reply to the topic? LOL.

MotownSteve
05-20-2013, 03:04 PM
There’s are many high quality songs so this is difficult. The one that comes immediately to mind is “All The things You Are” by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein. It started as a show tune, quickly became a popular song and a true standard. And then it became a favorite of jazz players as well. Song is strong musically and the lyrics are truly romantic with just a dash of melancholy.

Hi snark21,
I think it was in the 1950's a group of 20 or so song-writers were asked to name their favorite song. All chose the same, 'All The Things You Are'.

mickeymac
05-28-2013, 02:39 PM
"A Change Is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke.

blueskies
05-28-2013, 10:54 PM
Fields of Gold....but.....sung by Mary Wilson.

midnightman
05-28-2013, 11:00 PM
One of the best is the Isley Brothers' Highways of My Life. Shouts out to Ernie and the late Marvin Isley for writing it.