PDA

View Full Version : Album Covers: Were They Decided By Quality Control?

test

Methuselah2
05-13-2013, 08:22 PM
With the mention of Quality Control meetings at Motown often turning up in interviews, I was wondering:

Do we know if there were Quality Control decisions regarding album covers? A departmental decision perhaps? Producers' decision? Were album covers handled by an outside agency? Who actually decided the album cover and concept? Somewhat relatedly, the covers of The Marvelettes' and The Isley Bros.' first albums at Motown were obviously not taken lightly--although I found the final decisions on both to be unpleasant ones. Thanks.

thomas96
05-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Interesting topic. I'm lead to believe that they were handled by BG/Upper Administration in the beginning and later, as the company grew, by an outside agency, but I have no idea for sure.

reese
05-14-2013, 07:36 AM
In TO BE LOVED, Berry wrote that his sister Esther was in charge of the Art Department, and he didn't like her taste in album covers.

When Suzanne dePasse was first hired, Berry took her up to Esther's office to look at new album covers and give her opinions. He thought a fresh outlook might be useful. Not knowing that Esther was in charge of the album covers, Suzanne was honest and criticized each one. When Suzanne went back to her office, Esther told Berry "Either she goes or I go."

There were a few tense days between Berry and Esther before he could convince her that Suzanne was only doing what he asked her to do. Esther agreed, and soon brought in a new director for the Art Department.

Methuselah2
05-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Really interesting, Reese. Thank you very much.

stalebagel
05-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Where does mythology end?
Bernard Yeszin, who later won an Emmy for Art Design, created all the classic Motown covers you've all come to love. He even created the iconic Motown logo the company still uses today.

Just because the Motown Museum doesn't recognize him when it comes to their on line alumni list certainly doesn't mean that his contributions to Motown should be ignored.
I suggest all of you Google his Facebook page.

This is what happens to any history when it is corrupted by some with their own agendas.

skooldem1
05-14-2013, 11:15 AM
The story above says that "Esther was in charge of the Art Department". It does not say that she was the artist. What is the confusion or "mythology" ?

stalebagel
05-14-2013, 12:39 PM
This doesn't deserve a response because I wasn't referencing Esther. I was referencing the "outside agency" allegation. Go read my other posting from the LA Weekly today or are you going to question their reportage as well? I don't need to respond any further. The LA Weekly story speaks for itself.

mysterysinger
05-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Yes I've seen the name of Bernard Yeszin on album covers.

marv2
05-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Oh I see Bernie's name has already been mentioned here. Here is the story:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2013/05/bernie_yeszin_motown_emmy.php