PDA

View Full Version : Reflections performance the Supremes.

test

luke
05-13-2013, 02:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uwSVDOWh4Y close up of Cindy and Marys face hard to see at end. Id never seen this before, or only a brief part.

Methuselah2
05-13-2013, 02:37 PM
This is from a 1967 Tennessee Ernie Ford TV special. But I've never seen such a gorgeous print of it as I just watched here. What a treat, Luke. Thanks so much. Very special. Pristine, perfect print. Amazing. Like seeing it for the first time.

carole cucumber
05-13-2013, 03:06 PM
It can be found here:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cQbSrjyLL._SY300_.jpg

Methuselah2
05-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks Carole.

ejluther
05-13-2013, 05:36 PM
close up of Cindy and Marys face hard to see at end.
I don't understand this - are we supposed to be looking for something at the end?
Regardless, great performance of a great song. Here's another terrific version that leads into a wonderful version of "The Lady is a Tramp"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0HE7TC8y5g

revvy
05-13-2013, 06:08 PM
I believe this was Cindy's first television appearance as a Supreme. GREAT performance of both songs. Too much in-fighting in the comments section, though. Does anybody know what happened to those gowns? There weren't a part of Mary's exhibit. Not a one. I would have loved to seen them up close.

bradsupremes
05-13-2013, 06:44 PM
I believe this was Cindy's first television appearance as a Supreme. GREAT performance of both songs. Too much in-fighting in the comments section, though. Does anybody know what happened to those gowns? There weren't a part of Mary's exhibit. Not a one. I would have loved to seen them up close.

Those gowns were lost in the dressing room fire in Mexico back in 1974.

revvy
05-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks Brad. I figured as much. I also don't recall seeing JMC or JML in those gowns...ever.

smark21
05-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Luke likes to stir shit up and is hoping to get people fighting over whether Diana victimized Mary and Cindy in that clip as Luke lives for shit stirring and Diana victimizing anyone.

Back to subject at hand, I like the TEF clip of Reflections, but that Hollywood Palace performance of Reflections and Lady is a Tramp is my all time favorite Supremes TV performance I’ve seen. That’s a superstar trio performing there.

marv2
05-13-2013, 09:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uwSVDOWh4Y close up of Cindy and Marys face hard to see at end. Id never seen this before, or only a brief part.

I remember watching this show with my Dad when it originally aired. This was when television was mostly wholesome, family entertainment.

reese
05-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Thanks Brad. I figured as much. I also don't recall seeing JMC or JML in those gowns...ever.

There's a photo of JML wearing these dresses while in a dressing room. They also wore them during one of the Supreme wig collection commercials.

LuvHangOva
05-14-2013, 02:25 AM
Those are my favorite Supremes' gowns ever. Someone should remake them and duplicate every stitch!!

thisoldheart
05-14-2013, 05:24 AM
the supremes looked pretty hip & au current in their sassoon wigs and london fashions ... those gowns dripping with rhinestones look cheesy to me ... and i have seen them up close in london at the v&a. their move from trendy to las vegas lost them any street cred with the latter 60's music scene.

revvy
05-14-2013, 12:18 PM
I am referring to the silver sequined "peacock feather" gowns that DMC wore singing Reflections on the Hollywood Palace, not the gray hanging beaded "chandelier" gowns they wore on the Tennessee Ernie Ford special and that JML wore in an updated version for the wig endorsement. I don't believe I ever saw any grouping other than DMC in the peacock gowns.

Sacramento John
05-14-2013, 12:46 PM
I thought I saw these 'peacock" gowns at the Motown Hitsville Museum a few years ago

Kamasu_Jr
05-14-2013, 05:55 PM
If I had to pick a favorite DR&TS performance, it would be Reflections/Lady Is A Tramp/Sounds of the Cities medley from the Hollywood Palace.

supremester
05-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Reflections is my least favorite of their biggest top ten hits - change that to top 8. I wish I loved it as much as everyone else, but, like Endless Love, I just don't get it. I like her vocal here - amazingly close to the original. Mary and Cindy are superb - the gowns - the wigs- DYNOMITE for 1967. It's standard DR&TS fare today - but this blew us away then. This was the first time I wasn't seriously missing Flo, it was hard to keep resisting Cindy because she looked so good, moved better than Flo and knew the words when lipping. This was not Cindy's TV debut - they had already done Hollywood palace and Ed Sullivan [[In & Out of Love, Thou Swell) with The Tempts. Also - I think this is one of the TV shows where Mary & Cindy lipped to anonymous voices. That is not The andantes or Blackberries - it sounds like the Lennon Sisters. LOL. Does anyone KNOW?

supremester
05-15-2013, 02:57 PM
You're right about THP Reflections except you must be too young to have been there or you'd be asking, "WHERE'S FLO???????????????????" Diana and Mary were 23 here - 23........ impossible to imagine how they had evolved - they were still on Dick Clark's bus just three years earlier.

supremester
05-15-2013, 03:03 PM
I agree with Luke - what could be worse that singing in the biggest music act the USA ever produced? I'm a much bigger victim of Diana Ross - doing 40 plus dates - she's going to cost me thousands this summer.

jeff9nyc
05-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Reflections is my least favorite of their biggest top ten hits - change that to top 8. I wish I loved it as much as everyone else, but, like Endless Love, I just don't get it. I like her vocal here - amazingly close to the original. Mary and Cindy are superb - the gowns - the wigs- DYNOMITE for 1967. It's standard DR&TS fare today - but this blew us away then. This was the first time I wasn't seriously missing Flo, it was hard to keep resisting Cindy because she looked so good, moved better than Flo and knew the words when lipping. This was not Cindy's TV debut - they had already done Hollywood palace and Ed Sullivan [[In & Out of Love, Thou Swell) with The Tempts. Also - I think this is one of the TV shows where Mary & Cindy lipped to anonymous voices. That is not The andantes or Blackberries - it sounds like the Lennon Sisters. LOL. Does anyone KNOW?

The Hollywood Palace appearance "Reflections" was Cindy's first NATIONAL TV appearance with the Supremes in September of 67. They appeared on "Summertime At The Pier with Ed Hurst," a local Philadelphia TV program from Steel Pier when they appeared there in August 67 [[see below post). The background vocals on Hollywood Palace sure sound like Mary and Cindy to me! I can hear Mary wailin' away clear as a bell! :-)

jeff9nyc
05-15-2013, 08:01 PM
This is a shot from "Summertime At The Pier with Ed Hurst," the first ever TV appearance of Cindy as a Supreme...August '67

supremester
05-16-2013, 12:48 AM
Thanks - what did they do? Did they sing? Cindy looks so happy - and a bit Flo-esque. Do you have the show?
The vocals i was referring to were from Ernie Ford - Old Fashioned Medley. What do you think?
The Hollywood Palace appearance "Reflections" was Cindy's first NATIONAL TV appearance with the Supremes in September of 67. They appeared on "Summertime At The Pier with Ed Hurst," a local Philadelphia TV program from Steel Pier when they appeared there in August 67 [[see below post). The background vocals on Hollywood Palace sure sound like Mary and Cindy to me! I can hear Mary wailin' away clear as a bell! :-)

revvy
05-16-2013, 01:00 AM
Cindy once mentioned in an article [[can't remember where) that she intentionally tried to look as much like Florence as possible during the first year or so.

Roberta75
05-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Cindy mentioned in an article [[can't remember where) that she intentionally tried to look as much like Florence as possible during the first year or so.

Really? Cindy actually said that? id love to read the entire article.

Please post a link when you find it.

Thanks!

Roberta

marybrewster
05-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Cindy mentioned in an article [[can't remember where) that she intentionally tried to look as much like Florence as possible during the first year or so.

I seem to recall reading something like that as well.

I don't think the intention was to deceive fans into thinking she was Flo; more that she thought if she looked like Flo, that fans would be more comfortable with her.

supremester
05-16-2013, 02:42 PM
I read that too. I'm sure she was, as you suggest, just trying to soften the blow. Flo had to be the most popular bg singer in history. I still love the group - and much prefer Diana's TV appearances post Flo, but I missed her a lot. Anyone who saw them live knows what i mean.

I seem to recall reading something like that as well.

I don't think the intention was to deceive fans into thinking she was Flo; more that she thought if she looked like Flo, that fans would be more comfortable with her.