PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Example of the Philly Strand

test

nosey
05-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Not to tarnish anyone's thread which is never my intention here is Tracey and her partner doing the perfect example of how we Strand in Philly. Tracey is the one of the best at the Bop, Cha-Cha [[next to me of course), the Two-Step aka the Strand, Line Dancing, etc. Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBeaIy-rOn0

marv2
05-13-2013, 09:41 AM
They are smooth. Nosey there was a local dance show out of Philly in recent years that showed some of this and they would play clips of some favorite acts. I saw it when I was on the run from Hurricane Irene a few years ago. Do you know it?

nosey
05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Marv, I don't recall that show at all. When irks me is that the Bandstanders get way too much credit for being the best dancers in Philly. I've seen comments on youtube and on Bandstand websites lauding them for being the creators of this dance and that dance which is not true. If some of the regulars came to our dances they would be too scared to get up as they had nothing to bring to the table. The same repetitive steps; no improvisation and definitely no flair. If the were Fred & Ginger then me and my crew would be the Nicholas Brothers. LOL.

My crew's specialty was the cha-cha where I created a step where me & Shirley would be cha-cha-ing where were would throw up an imaginary compact, open it up, check our makeup, give two smooches, then throw the compact up in the air, spin, catch it and then stick it in our bosom. A show stopper every time. Another step was doing somewhat of a hambone; slapping our feet and doing a freeze and then getting back in step. The guys did a step when they pulled out two imaginary pistols from a holster, tossed them up in the air, caught them and put them back in the holster. I made up most of the steps and they are too hard to put into words but Shirley & I used to shut it down! Boy going to those dances were fun and a lot of time was spent on synchronizing our steps so that we wouldn't get squirrled. LOL

marv2
05-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Nosey! Can you video tape the Compact Cha, Cha! ? LOL! I'd love to see that one. I
know what you mean about Bandstand getting all the credit. When I lived in Philly [[it was the mid 80's) we party every Friday and Sat. I have to say outside of Detroit, with New York City being the exception, no one got down like they did in Philly! Bandstand was tame compared to what they us to do at the clubs from West Philly, to CC, to the Burbs and over in Jersey. Just put the music on and the Philly crowd I hung with would just go off! LOL! Second Story, JB Winchells, Chestnut Street Caberet, Scintillations, an on and on and on.......

Methuselah2
05-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Nosey - I enjoyed the video a lot. The couple dances really well together--very smooth and precise. Perhaps a little too choreographed for me. I prefer the verve and excitement that Jimmy Peatross & Joan Buck brought to it on Bandstand in the late 1950s. Their skill, plus the joy they exhibited doing it, just seemed to capture my attention and imagination. Their dancing had such polish to it, and real snap. They demonstrate it beautifully in Ron Mann's 1992 documentary TWIST.

Here's an enjoyable video of some Philadelphia Boppin'. The couple in the foreground is very good but I'm drawn to the shorter couple that stays mostly in the background. They're really connecting with one another, feeding off of one another, just as I always found Jimmy & Joan to do. See what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPTq1Jg6sfQ

nosey
05-13-2013, 04:52 PM
The guy on the left's name is Calvin and we used to dance together a lot. He is very easy to follow and the couple in the front need some Geritol. LOL! I just saw my mistake his name is Alvin. His twin's name is Calvin. Oy!

smark21
05-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Nosey, now that you’ve moved, are you going to pull out some of those moves where you now live? I bet you would shake them up!

nosey
05-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Smark, I'm still sore recovering from surgery and I've only been to the Post twice since I've been here and those old coots just sit around and drink. I even had to ask the DJ to play the songs by the original artists; he was playing covers! I'm going to Philly in June so I'll get my "dance on" then. LOL!

smark21
05-14-2013, 07:45 AM
Nosey, when you’re fully recovered, you’re going to shake up that town, I just know it. And sounds like they need it!