PDA

View Full Version : Glen Campbell and the Supremes

test

floyjoy678
05-09-2013, 10:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YThwyAxURFM

Great clip of the Supremes on the Glen Campbell Hour in 1970. I love the version of "Everybody's Got the Right to Love" they do and "Something" is pretty good as well but the stand-out performance for me is the Simon and Garfunkel medley they do with Glen. I'm a huge S&G fan and I gotta say Glen and the Supremes did those songs just as good as they did.

thisoldheart
05-10-2013, 12:06 AM
like the solos on "egtrtl"!

revvy
05-10-2013, 12:14 AM
EVERYBODY is, for all practical purposes, a very weak song and really doesn't display Jean's vocal talents at all. The song is OK for album filler, but the New Supremes could have gone further with a better song...something hip. At that point in their career, they really should have gone for more soulful material. EVERYBODY sounds more like a Carpenter's song. The lyrics are kind of dumb. Everybody's got the right to love? No shit! I know music was changing in the early 70s and music was becoming "mellow", but Motown was known for being soulful and reflective of the changes going on in society. Perhaps I'm spoiled. I expected more out of the New Supremes and it's no surprise the song barely charted. It's a good performance on the Glen Campbell show, though. 3 incredible beauties doin' their thang!

franjoy56
05-10-2013, 12:26 AM
i agree, that Right On album had many hit potential singles and Motown dropped the ball when they released that stinker for what its worth it sat outside of the top 20 at #21 even Diana's first solo Reach Out best that weasel, there was a problem though, most of the dance tunes on the right on album except Utlttr and Lovin Country and some ballads like "But i love you more" didn't have Mary and Cindy on them so releaseing a song like "wait a minute before you leave me" would have been released without Mary or Cindy unless they overdubed the Andantes vocals

smark21
05-10-2013, 07:51 AM
LOL! It only takes two posts before chart obsessed Supremes fans jump in and start bitching and moaning about the popularity decline of the 70s Supremes. It was 43 years ago. Get the fuck over it…go see a psychiatrist and get some meds to treat your condition. Or if you don’t have adequate health insurance coverage, find some new interests that will give you genuine joy and pleasure, not the sick, twisted and perverse joy and pleasure you get from these discussions.

smark21
05-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Just as an addendum….I enjoy that Glen Campbell performance and it’s a shame that the thread is quickly hijacked by so called fans who love to wallow in the misery aspects of the Supremes story…that it the decline of the group’s career. In the end it doesn’t really matter as the music and performances and the talent are all available for us to enjoy and it’s a shame these fans can’t appreciate that and prefer to dwell on the negative.

nathanj06
05-10-2013, 08:42 AM
There was nothing wrong with Everybody's Got The Right To Love. It was only 1970 and the title/song had meaning. I would have preferred Then We Can Try Again or Life Beats [[had it been issued). Hitting #21 is not a bad showing and #11 R&B. They bounced back big time with Stoned Love and River Deep Mountain High. All considered, it was almost an impossible feat for someone who took over for Diana Ross. The biggest mistake was releasing Touch while they had Here Comes The Sunrise clearly with more potential. Regardless, they were off to a great start. The rest of the story was bound to happen.

Glenpwood
05-10-2013, 10:47 AM
If chart positions mean everything I guess some folks should toss out them old Motown flops and sit at home and play number ones like Macarena, Disco Duck, and Gangham Style instead....;)

JMC sounded fabulous on GC.....

thommg
05-10-2013, 11:34 AM
I happen to like Everybody's Got The Right To Love. That said, I think the version released and the one on the album are too tame. I much prefer the version that appeared on Greatest Hits and Rare Classics. That was a bit more soulful. The version on Glen Campbell seems to be a tad faster than the original version which helps it, I think. Also, as far as I'm concerned, you can never go wrong when giving a few lines to Mary and Cindy.

milven
05-10-2013, 11:55 AM
..as far as I'm concerned, you can never go wrong when giving a few lines to Mary and Cindy.

That was nice to watch. In fact the whole set was nice. They performed side by side, sang harmony and performed as a group , not as a lead and back-ups

revvy
05-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Maybe you should change your handle from smark to snark.

johnny_raven
05-10-2013, 03:02 PM
EGTRTL was an ok song, but I would have liked an original song released rather than a remake.

luke
05-10-2013, 04:42 PM
When I saw MJC in Atlantic City, Cindy came out alone on stage and the sang first verse of EGTRTL by herself, then Mary, then Jean. I agree the version on Greatest Hits much better. Ive never understood why Motown released it unless the group was getting a little too big when someone else wasnt. Just thinkin out loud...

jobeterob
05-10-2013, 04:50 PM
It is amazing that Gangnam Style and Justin Bieber have these massive numbers of YouTube hits ~ like 300 million views. I gather Gangnam is the most watched video of all time.

marv2
05-10-2013, 05:06 PM
I liked "Everybody Got the Right to Love". It was soulful with a rockin' beat. All the ladies sounded great on it in my opinion.

smark21
05-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Everybody’s Got the Right to Love is a pleasant enough song with a nice message. I wonder if the writers had any intention of this being any sort of gay rights song? My favorite version is the one of the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics cassette. And I like the live versions I’ve seen on youtube with Cindy and Mary getting lead bits. One could say the song could have been retitled “Everybody’s Got the Right to Sing Lead”.

BTW revvy, my user name is a combination of the words “smart ass” and “snark” so I do have serve it up sometimes.

franjoy56
05-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Everybody’s Got the Right to Love is a pleasant enough song with a nice message. I wonder if the writers had any intention of this being any sort of gay rights song? My favorite version is the one of the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics cassette. And I like the live versions I’ve seen on youtube with Cindy and Mary getting lead bits. One could say the song could have been retitled “Everybody’s Got the Right to Sing Lead”.

BTW revvy, my user name is a combination of the words “smart ass” and “snark” so I do have serve it up sometimes.
Well since your earlier quote was directed to fans wholling in the single Egtrtl, I was one of them who wholloied, and i need to say that the album had many songs that would have been sure fire hits, and Egtrtl was not the best choice, believe me I have no mental issues my life is filled with activities that keep me busy from sun up to sun down, my love life has even picked up, and if I feel like insisting that Motown should have picked a better song for them to release on the heels of the hot Up the Ladder to the Roof then it needs to be expressed. The Glen Campbell episode was miles ahead of the single agreed and so is the alternate take. Everybody's go the right to bitch if something needs to be said.

rod_rick
05-12-2013, 01:53 AM
Well since your earlier quote was directed to fans wholling in the single Egtrtl, I was one of them who wholloied, and i need to say that the album had many songs that would have been sure fire hits, and Egtrtl was not the best choice, believe me I have no mental issues my life is filled with activities that keep me busy from sun up to sun down, my love life has even picked up, and if I feel like insisting that Motown should have picked a better song for them to release on the heels of the hot Up the Ladder to the Roof then it needs to be expressed. The Glen Campbell episode was miles ahead of the single agreed and so is the alternate take. Everybody's go the right to bitch if something needs to be said.

I think EGTRTL was a good choice because of the times, [[we are talking about 1970) it sounds dated now compared to some of the others, but the Supremes hit pay dirt with a message song in Up The Ladder To The Roof, so it sort of makes since to follow it up with Everybody Got The Right To Love, or The Loving Country. With that said we know how Motown can drop the ball like leaving a songs such as Life Beats and Bend A Little in the can until 2005 and 2012

franjoy56
05-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Egtrtl was not the worst the supremes released. At least the hits kept coming

TheMotownManiac
05-16-2013, 08:54 PM
I love EGTRTL. I bought the 45 and prefer the mix to the LP mix. I lost my Greatest Hits & Rare Classics but would love it if someone posted it.
A) I think Jean's nuanced vocal is tender, expressive and soulful. I have always been impressed with it. Where it charted doesn't sway my vote but it does show that her vocal touched people because it couldn't be the track. I played it a lot along with Up The Ladder.

B) This TV appearance is what killed JMC more than anything. The pantsuits are hideous and they look like just any group. It's nice that Mary & Cindy got leads except they don't sound good - what's the point? If you are trying to put a group over, don't stack the odds against them more by giving solos for the wrong reason. Fans need to be objective: not EVERYTHING your faves do can be deemed "good" by the unswayed public. JMC needed to get hip desperately and this set them back a hundred years - they needed a stylist badly. BADLY.

TheMotownManiac
05-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Life Beats, IMHO, would have peaked at 47. It has a nice - but not compelling chorus, but the sophomoric verse would have kept it off playlists - even back then. Life Beats is the ideal track for Motown to have issued if it was trying to kill JMC. Instead they give them a killer record like Up The Ladder..........

I think EGTRTL was a good choice because of the times, [[we are talking about 1970) it sounds dated now compared to some of the others, but the Supremes hit pay dirt with a message song in Up The Ladder To The Roof, so it sort of makes since to follow it up with Everybody Got The Right To Love, or The Loving Country. With that said we know how Motown can drop the ball like leaving a songs such as Life Beats and Bend A Little in the can until 2005 and 2012

TheMotownManiac
05-16-2013, 09:15 PM
A little too big???? They had one single in the top ten for one week - that's BIG? I think it's plain crazy to suggest that Motown issued a single they thought would fail because of the moronic "Ross has to be ahead bullshit" axiom. Does anyone REALLY think, if that was the case, they'd put out a single they thought would fail and then follow it up with three sure-fire hits? Luke do you even think about what you write? Had Stoned Love, River Deep and Nathan been kept in the vaults and near-miss, verse-less crap like Life Beats been released, your idea might have some credence. Wanna kill a group? Put em on TV all the time and team them with The 4 tops...

When I saw MJC in Atlantic City, Cindy came out alone on stage and the sang first verse of EGTRTL by herself, then Mary, then Jean. I agree the version on Greatest Hits much better. Ive never understood why Motown released it unless the group was getting a little too big when someone else wasnt. Just thinkin out loud...