PDA

View Full Version : 70s Supremes....anything left in the vault?

test

tamlaUK
05-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Following the wonderful release of This Is The Story, Let YOurself Go and Magnificent 7, are there any 70s Supremes tracks in the vault? I have heard 'Remote Control' and 'Soft Days'. Any more?

Thanks in advance

RossHolloway
05-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Yes. I think its been said that there is enough unreleased materials for either a Lost & Found set or Expanded Editions for all their studio albums...but don't quote me.

longtimefan
05-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Traveling Light
If You Let Me
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone
Mind, Body and Soul
You Only Miss Me When You See Me

mowest
05-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Steppin' On A Dream, Loneliness Is A Lonely Feeling, That's How Much, Send Him To Me.

marv2
05-08-2013, 07:25 PM
I have been waiting to hear their version of "Didn't I Blow Your Mind".

davidh
05-08-2013, 07:26 PM
there was at least one out take from FLOY JOY, and some more Frank Wilson tracks from 1973. plus out takes from other albums

blueskies
05-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Bring it on!

carole cucumber
05-08-2013, 07:49 PM
When asked online during one of Andy Skurow & George Solomon's appearances on Nightflight, both said that they would love to do more releases with the post-Diana Supremes. However they also emphasized that the current plan was to continue with the Diana Ross solo & the Diana Ross & the Supremes expanded editions.
With as long as its taking to get 'Baby It's Me Expanded Edition' , I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any attention to be given to JMC/JML/MSC/MSS.

BayouMotownMan
05-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Well, you must understand, the general population are far more familiar with Diana Ross & The Supremes and than the Supremes sans Ross. If you ask anyone in a check out line they will likely not realize that the Supremes and the Miracles continued successfully without their original lead singers

Jimi LaLumia
05-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Well I DO know that "This Is The Story: The Jean Terrell Years" sold out a long time ago, and "Let Yourself Go" has probably sold out by now!!

revvy
05-08-2013, 11:54 PM
I don't care what anybody says or thinks. Lynda Laurence was the "Kiss of Death" for the group. As of 1972, there were 3 replacement Supremes. Once there is a replacement for a replacement, no way can a group survive. No true fan is going to hold on to that. No disrespect to Miss Laurence, but the facts are the facts.

thisoldheart
05-09-2013, 01:30 AM
i have to say that once jean terrell left, the supremes no longer had a consistent sound to me. "floy joy" was the their last, and very good album ... i bought the album that had "he's my man" on it, but their identity seemed lost. i must say that the change from ross to terrell seemed to work quite well, probably because terrell was such a great singer. multiple changes in lead singers is never good for a group. it is amazing when a group can make it through two leads. the supremes did very well during the first switcheroo!

alanh
05-09-2013, 04:46 AM
I totally agree with you, thisoldheart.

As far as the seventies Supremes goes, hopefully we'll get some more from the Jean Terrell days at some point in the future.

jbpintus
05-09-2013, 06:28 AM
What about the temptations? Eddie kendricks - Damon Harris - Ron Tyson

But I guess they're the exception to the rule.

Anyway, lets bring some more JMC off the vaults

JB

smark21
05-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Applying revvy's reasoning, Dennis Edwards was the kiss of death for the
Temptations as he replaced David Ruffin who replaced Elbridge Bryant.

Jimi LaLumia
05-09-2013, 08:30 AM
the public does not know Elbridge [[i Don't know Elbridge!) and the post- Dennis Edwards group never had the same gravitas, nor did they have cross over hits anymore; they become a second tier attraction at best! "The Temptations" was never the same after Edwards, look at the pop charts!

marv2
05-09-2013, 10:33 AM
the public does not know Elbridge [[i Don't know Elbridge!) and the post- Dennis Edwards group never had the same gravitas, nor did they have cross over hits anymore; they become a second tier attraction at best! "The Temptations" was never the same after Edwards, look at the pop charts!

Dennis Edwards led Tempts had massive hits and earned the group their first Grammy.

jbpintus
05-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Talking bout the Tempts, TRULY FOR YOU is a massive hit album. Even REFLECTIONS is everything but a let down.

And what about the Spinners? :-)
They had success with a least 3 lead singers too.

:-)

marv2
05-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Talking bout the Tempts, TRULY FOR YOU is a massive hit album. Even REFLECTIONS is everything but a let down.

And what about the Spinners? :-)
They had success with a least 3 lead singers too.

:-)

Also, didn't the Temptations score a major hit with Ali Woodson as the lead with "Treat Her Like A Lady"? He was like their 3rd replacement for Al Bryant.

Jimi LaLumia
05-09-2013, 11:30 AM
It was a huge R&B hit[[#2 peak position), but it peaked at #48 on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart, did not even reach Top 40... not a hit by previous standards set by the group.. the mainstream pop audience does not know that track.. it was all over in that area after Edwards left)

marv2
05-09-2013, 05:27 PM
It was a huge R&B hit[[#2 peak position), but it peaked at #48 on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart, did not even reach Top 40... not a hit by previous standards set by the group.. the mainstream pop audience does not know that track.. it was all over in that area after Edwards left)

Well it depends on what you consider important. Although chart numbers don't really mean shit to me if the music is good and if I were following charts to determine what to buy, it is going to be the R&B Charts as that is my preferred style of music.

jobeterob
05-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Well it depends on what you consider important. Although chart numbers don't really mean shit to me if the music is good and if I were following charts to determine what to buy, it is going to be the R&B Charts as that is my preferred style of music.

1. That's why you don't pick the hits Marv!

2. How about putting on your bipolar cap and trying "although the chart number don't mean much to me"?

3. It's tough to bother with chart positions when Mary didn't have any, hey? When Lynda had more!

Yikes, that one smacked I bet!

On this nice, warm, sunny, sky blue day in Canada...........I was going to dig out Right On because I thought it had such good music.

marv2
05-09-2013, 07:30 PM
1. That's why you don't pick the hits Marv!

Pick the hits? I have a real job and career!

2. How about putting on your bipolar cap and trying "although the chart number don't mean much to me"?

How about you drop dead?

3. It's tough to bother with chart positions when Mary didn't have any, hey? When Lynda had more!

What does Mary or Lynda have to do with this thread? I think you are the one with A.D.D.!

Yikes, that one smacked I bet!

smack your own ass.....

On this nice, warm, sunny, sky blue day in Canada...........I was going to dig out Right On because I thought it had such good music.

Sounds a bit freakish to me......hehehehehehe

luke
05-10-2013, 10:00 AM
What the heck does all that mean? very freakish. Didnt the album with Treat Her Like A Lady go gold?

marv2
05-10-2013, 10:24 AM
What the heck does all that mean? very freakish. Didnt the album with Treat Her Like A Lady go gold?

I don't know what the heck he was talking about. Sometimes I think he is sitting up there in Canada eating mushrooms......

"Treat Her Like A Lady", is more than likely a gold record now. The album should have gone gold too.

Jimi LaLumia
05-10-2013, 05:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treat_Her_Like_a_Lady_%28The_Temptations_song%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truly_for_You;

[[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truly_for_You)

smark21
05-10-2013, 09:59 PM
I like Treat Her Like a Lady, but my favorite Ali Ollie Woodson led Tempts song is “Lady Soul”.

marv2
05-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Let's not forget that great song "Soul II Soul" they did with Ollie.

markdtiller
05-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Here's what I have that's unreleased:

Send Him To Me [[Mary lead)
If You Let Me [[Mary lead)
How Long Has That Evening Train Been Gone
That’s How Much You Made Me Love You
Remote Control
Mind Body And Soul
You Only Miss Me When You See Me
Can’t You Hear Me Knockin’
[[You Went And) Stepped On My Dream
Loneliness Is A Lonely Feeling
Bad Weather [[Unedited Version)
Love Train [[Unedited Alternate Mix)
Love Train [[Alternate Solo Version)
Travelling Light
Soft Days [[Jean & Mary)
Give Out, But Don’t Give Up [[Alternate Mary lead)
I Can Never Recover [[Scherrie Solo Version)

also in the vaults I have heard:
Standing Ovation, Didn’t I Blow Your Mind This Time, I’ll Have To Wait A Lifetime - unreleased Jean-led 70s Supremes
Another Saturday Night, Look What You've Done To Me, Got My Dancin' Shoes On [[Gonna Dance All Night) - unreleased Scherrie-led 70s Supremes

Would love a 70s Supremes Lost & Found!

thisoldheart
05-11-2013, 09:38 PM
i know this sounds like blasphemy, but i do wish the supremes would have wrapped up their career when jean terrell left. they had a fine string of records and a distict sound with terrell at the helm. they spireled into oblivion, for me, after her departure.

kenneth
05-11-2013, 09:43 PM
@markdtiller,

Who sings lead on "How Long Has This Evening Train Been Gone"? I love that song. I think it's definitely one of Diane's strongest latter day performances with the Supremes, and the arrangement and background vocals are really exciting on her version.

mowest
05-11-2013, 09:54 PM
@markdtiller,

Who sings lead on "How Long Has This Evening Train Been Gone"? I love that song. I think it's definitely one of Diane's strongest latter day performances with the Supremes, and the arrangement and background vocals are really exciting on her version.

It's Jean on lead.

mowest
05-11-2013, 09:57 PM
i know this sounds like blasphemy, but i do wish the supremes would have wrapped up their career when jean terrell left. they had a fine string of records and a distict sound with terrell at the helm. they spireled into oblivion, for me, after her departure.

When Jean Terrell became lead singer the change in the group's sound was evolutionary; with Scherrie Payne, there was a much sharper break with the past.

kenneth
05-11-2013, 10:00 PM
It's Jean on lead.

Thanks for letting me know. Would be hard to top Diane's vocal on this but would love to hear it. I think "Train" is an example of when Diane's voice, which isn't a big one, works best to her advantage. She "acts" the part as much as sings it, the vocal is kind of breathy and sounds somewhat separated or "under the mix" which gives her vocal a kind of desperate, ethereal quality.

johnny_raven
05-12-2013, 02:27 AM
Back in 2002/2003, I overheard Jean and Lynda discuss them recording "MacArthur Park" for the Jimmy Webb album.

kenneth
05-12-2013, 02:28 AM
Back in 2002/2003, I overheard Jean and Lynda discuss them recording "MacArthur Park" for the Jimmy Webb album.

Wow! Now that would be something to hear!