PDA

View Full Version : Early Morning Love best dance record with Mary upfront

test

franjoy56
05-07-2013, 12:20 AM
i can't remember but I thought "Early Morning Love" was the flip side of "Im Gonna Let My heart do the walking" wow, EML should have been a single and it would have worked better than "Where Do I Go From Here" it would have capitalized on the disco flavored rise on the dance floor of
"He's My Man" which hit #1 on the disco dance floor and Mary was fabulous as the sole lead on that track and Cindy and Scherrie give the background a new flavor sound with two sopranos backing it up: Another wasted effort. I remember the fabulous performance the Supremes put in on the Sammy Davis Show in the summer of 75 when they performed the song in those satin gowns that featured a train with the silver hats.

marv2
05-07-2013, 01:36 AM
That was a great record.

theboyfromxtown
05-07-2013, 03:26 AM
It was released as a single in the UK http://images.45cat.com/the-supremes-early-morning-love-tamla-motown.jpg

kenneth
05-07-2013, 10:05 AM
What I always liked about this record is that it really signaled Mary's emergence finally as a lead singer on some of the songs. I believe it was the second track on the LP, after "He's My Man," which was Sherrie's fantastic introduction to most of us fans. But Mary's turn on "Early Morning Love" was unique in many ways, not only because it was really her first true lead as she had shared the lead earlier on "Touch" with Jean, but because it showed the Supremes would also finally venture into more adult material. [[I guess Diane finally started recording more adult material as well around the same time, starting with "Love Hangover.")

"EML" was, after all, about making love...or perhaps I should say having sex. There was really no "love" theme in the song. It was stylish, sensuous and I loved it! The best line I think is when she sings "Touch my shoulder...turn me over...!"

luke
05-07-2013, 10:55 AM
IMO Early Morning Love was just not that ineteresting and a bit rough around the edges. Loved Where do I go from here.

Kamasu_Jr
05-07-2013, 05:13 PM
I agree with Luke. WHAT? That song was dead on arrival. I really thought Can't Stop A Girl in Love should have been given a singles shot.

marv2
05-07-2013, 05:53 PM
OMG! That was the line in the song I was going mention that made it for me! "Touch my shoulder......turn me over!". I was like, well get on down then.......hehehehehehe....

jobeterob
05-07-2013, 05:53 PM
I agree with Luke. WHAT? That song was dead on arrival. I really thought Can't Stop A Girl in Love should have been given a singles shot.

I agree with Luke too. I wonder if the singles had been You Can't Stop A Girl in Love and Where Do I Go From Here right from the get go..........if history would not have been different. Both Early Morning Love and He's My Man don't have strong hooks and a direction; there was a lot of bombast in He's My Man but it sure doesn't have the melody of Can't Stop a Girl in Love.

smark21
05-07-2013, 08:26 PM
I have to disagree. For me, Early Morning Love is the worst song to make the Supremes 75 album. Ballads are Mary’s forte, not dance songs. Her best dance lead vocals are on He’s My Man and Sweet Dream Machine where the lead is shared and Mary’s voice is well deployed for the verses she’s given. As for Early Morning Love, the arrangement is annoying and the lyrics are cheap and slutty.

smark21
05-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Anyone think Color My World Blue should have been a single?

marv2
05-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Here they are doing "Early Morning Love" on Soul Train:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_laLq8u6O1c

jobeterob
05-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Color My World Blue would have been better than Early Morning Love and He's My Man.

The world was colored by disco in those years; perhaps if that era had passed, a couple of these other songs [[You Can't Stop a Girl In Love, Color My World Blue, Where Do I Go From Here) would have had better chances and spurred interest in the Supremes.

Wasn't Where Do I Go From Here from one of the top production teams at the time who had come off a hit from the Four Tops and others? And yet, it becomes 2nd and 3rd choice to songs that are now clearly weaker songs.

franjoy56
05-07-2013, 08:51 PM
I agree with Luke too. I wonder if the singles had been You Can't Stop A Girl in Love and Where Do I Go From Here right from the get go..........if history would not have been different. Both Early Morning Love and He's My Man don't have strong hooks and a direction; there was a lot of bombast in He's My Man but it sure doesn't have the melody of Can't Stop a Girl in Love.
He's My Man #1 Billboard Disco Chart, and "Early Morning Love" were both disco orientated records, Scherrie's tracks ycsagil and wdigfh were not that disco orientated the later only made it to #93 on the chart, and given a push i believe He's My Man could have done some business on the pop chart Early Morning Love [[also a #3 disco hit i believe) had in your face lyrics and get on down to love well didn't the 70's signify the ladies speaking their mind look at Three Degrees track "Dirty Ole Man"h

franjoy56
05-07-2013, 09:01 PM
as always thanks Marvin for posting that Soul Train track. Did you ever see them do that and He's my man on the Sammy Davis Jr. show in 1975.

skooldem1
05-07-2013, 09:31 PM
I agree with those who said the record is inferior. "He's my man" and "I'm gonna let my heart do the walking" were better songs. "I'm gonna let my heart" is the best disco song they recorded. However, neither topped the disco chart.

Kamasu_Jr
05-08-2013, 05:27 AM
The Three Degrees were making better records than the Supremes were in 1975. I don't get why most Supremes lovers think that album from 1975 and everything on it could have been a hit? I was told some people laughed and booed when the Supremes appeared on TV promoting songs from that album. They were almost an anachronism by then. I gotta agree with most who don't like Early Morning Love. Was there a REAL or legitimate DISCO music chart in 1975?

milven
05-08-2013, 06:48 AM
...I was told some people laughed and booed when the Supremes appeared on TV promoting songs from that album. ... Was there a REAL or legitimate DISCO music chart in 1975?

I've seen all their TV appearances as they were broadcast, and I don't recall them ever being booed. You may be referring to their infamous Madison Square Garden appearance. It was an oldies show and the audience was prepped to hear hits of the fifties and sixties. The Supremes came out in their gowns singing their new stuff and were booed. Their timing was wrong. It was too early for them to be on the oldies circuit. Today, Mary makes does many of her appearances on the oldies circuit performing the Supremes hits. She has been in my area twice in the past few months. She opened for Herman's Hermits who headlined the bill. But in 1975, they were still contemporary and should not have been in an oldies act.

I don't there was an actual disco chart in the major trade magazines in 1975.

smark21
05-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Color My World Blue would have been better than Early Morning Love and He's My Man.

The world was colored by disco in those years; perhaps if that era had passed, a couple of these other songs [[You Can't Stop a Girl In Love, Color My World Blue, Where Do I Go From Here) would have had better chances and spurred interest in the Supremes.

Wasn't Where Do I Go From Here from one of the top production teams at the time who had come off a hit from the Four Tops and others? And yet, it becomes 2nd and 3rd choice to songs that are now clearly weaker songs.

Early Morning Love and Where Do I Go From Here were both produced by the Hollands. Where is much better IMO.

davidh
05-08-2013, 03:55 PM
never cared for EARLY MORNING LOVE much although I did hear another mix of it that I thought was better. Color MY World Blue is my fav track from the album. also liked IT'S ALL BEEN SAID .imo,i would have used BEND A LITTLE and SHA LA BANDIT instead of EML and HMM. Mary;s CAN WE LOVE AGAIN is also superior and I would have used it instead of WHERE DI I BELONG. good album though

thanxal
05-08-2013, 04:32 PM
I like EML. It's catchy. I've really gotten hooked on "Give Out, But Don't Give Up". Nice that they provided all three versions on the Let Yourself Go boxed set. I've also rediscovered Mary's solo album after ripping it to CD this past weekend. "You Make me Feel So Good" and "[[I Love a) Warm Summer Night" have stuck in my head. Not soul/disco masterpieces, but both have a nice hook. Partners also has a few interesting tracks.

reese
05-08-2013, 05:03 PM
. Was there a REAL or legitimate DISCO music chart in 1975?

In 1974, Billboard starting publishing a Disco Action chart of the top ten records that were doing well in NY discos. Later they expanded to regional playlists. In August of 1976, they started publishing the National Disco Action Top 30.

skooldem1
05-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Here is a link to all the number one songs on the Billboard Disco/Dance charts from 1974-1995. I don't see "He's my man" listed on there. Maybe it was just a regional #1.

http://www.disco-disco.com/disco/billboard.shtml

tamlaUK
05-08-2013, 05:40 PM
I wonder if Scherrie ever recorded a lead? Having heard the alternates of 'Give OUt', it may be possible.

jobeterob
05-08-2013, 05:45 PM
The early charts measured play in about 10 different cities at a few clubs in each city; sometimes, the songs weren't even released as singles. It had nothing to do with sales or radio play. All it signified is play in a certain few clubs. Nice, interesting ~ but like so many of the niche charts, it paled in significance to a Hot 100 hit or a hit album.

A big problem for the 70's Supremes was what Mary has mentioned ~ the albums did not sell and with each release they sold less and less. I wonder if things would have been different had Stoned Love been issued as a single behind Up the Ladder to the Roof and if it had been on Right On and if the cover of Right On had been the back cover of New Ways But Love Stays ~ that would have shaken things up.

Kamasu_Jr
05-08-2013, 05:49 PM
I've seen all their TV appearances as they were broadcast, and I don't recall them ever being booed. You may be referring to their infamous Madison Square Garden appearance. It was an oldies show and the audience was prepped to hear hits of the fifties and sixties. The Supremes came out in their gowns singing their new stuff and were booed. Their timing was wrong. It was too early for them to be on the oldies circuit. Today, Mary makes does many of her appearances on the oldies circuit performing the Supremes hits. She has been in my area twice in the past few months. She opened for Herman's Hermits who headlined the bill. But in 1975, they were still contemporary and should not have been in an oldies act.

I don't there was an actual disco chart in the major trade magazines in 1975.

I meant that people watching the Supremes performing on TV in their living rooms actually hooted and booed. It happened at my dad's house. He and some college friends were watching the Supremes on TV in 1975. His friends thought they were corny.

marv2
05-08-2013, 05:59 PM
I meant that people watching the Supremes performing on TV in their living rooms actually hooted and booed. It happened at my dad's house. He and some college friends were watching the Supremes on TV in 1975. His friends thought they were corny.

I thought you said you were born in 1978? LOL!!!

Kamasu_Jr
05-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I was born in 1977. My dad taped and filmed things from TV with a cassette recorder and live mic and a movie camera and had the junk transferred later to video tape. I look at all that old crap [[scrapbooks, footage, photos, old news clippings ) that he has stored away.

milven
05-08-2013, 07:04 PM
I thought you said you were born in 1978? LOL!!!

I was born in 1977. My dad taped and filmed things from TV with a cassette recorder and live mic and a movie camera and had the junk transferred later to video tape. I look at all that old crap [[scrapbooks, footage, photos, old news clippings ) that he has stored away.

SEE HOW EASY THAT WAS MARV? YOU WERE CURIOUS HOW HE WAS ABLE TO WATCH A TV SHOW TWO YEARS BEFORE HE WAS BORN AND HE EXPLAINED IT TO YOU.

WE ASKED YOU TO EXPLAIN HOW YOU HEARD FIFTH DIMENSION'S LOVE HANGOVER ON THE RADIO BEFORE IT WAS RECORDED, AND YOU REFUSE TO TELL US HOW.

IF ONLY YOU HAD THE SAME INTERNET MANNERS AS KAMASU

IT KINDA MAKES ME WONDER https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyMvE0v5bfB7i3AKIChZXeqCRPJNFmz K0kakSaZO_DyCif9CTNZA

marv2
05-08-2013, 07:23 PM

That's cool I wished my father had the forsight to do things like that.

davidh
05-08-2013, 07:33 PM
I do think COLOR MY WORLD BLUE could have been a single

marv2
05-08-2013, 07:41 PM
I do think COLOR MY WORLD BLUE could have been a single

I liked that one too. It definitely had that Supreme sound to it.

smark21
05-08-2013, 08:17 PM
If I were the exec producer of Supremes 75 album, I would have vaulted Early Morning Love, Where is it I Belong, and This is Why I Believe in You and inserted Bend a Little, Can We Love Again, and either Sha La Bandit [[multi-lead version that was on the 70’s Supremes Anthology) or It’s In His Kiss.

marv2
05-08-2013, 08:46 PM
"Where is it I Belong" is probably the most popular song from that album judging by Youtube and the people that still enjoy it.

luke
05-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Always felt Hes My Man had a tremendous updated Motown sound and could have been a smash with more promotion. I find Mary's vocal strained on EML.

franjoy56
05-09-2013, 12:16 AM
I am so happy EML made the Supremes album it was a new sound for the group with Mary stepping up and doing an uptiempo track and yes she sounded raw but heck everything was raw and in your face in the 70's. That album was off the chart although the public didn't embrace it, I sure did it had something for everybody. I remember Soul Magazine did a whole page of fan reaction to the album and it was all positive, and with Scherrie sharing the lead duties with Mary they put out some good tracks He's My Man, Early Morning Love, Let My Heart Do the Walking, Your My Driving Wheel, and High Energy were all played in the clubs and were on the disco charts.

franjoy56
05-09-2013, 12:17 AM
and another hot track that was also on the disco chart at #9 was "Love I never knew you could feel so good.

marv2
05-09-2013, 12:37 AM
Always felt Hes My Man had a tremendous updated Motown sound and could have been a smash with more promotion. I find Mary's vocal strained on EML.

That [["He's My Man") was the best song on an album that had several great songs.

jobeterob
05-09-2013, 02:06 AM

There is a list of all the #1 disco songs, sometimes a whole album was #1.........like The Boss.

It was just club play.

And no He's My Man on the list.

franjoy56
05-09-2013, 11:57 PM

There is a list of all the #1 disco songs, sometimes a whole album was #1.........like The Boss.

It was just club play.

And no He's My Man on the list.
Despite the long delay, The Supremes' first single, "He's My Man", became a #1 single on the Billboard Disco [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/wiki/Hot_Dance_Club_Songs) charts in 1975. The song "It's All Been Said Before" was originally chosen as the first single, and assigned a release number by Motown, but was withdrawn at the last minute, and replaced by "He's My Man".

I don't know what list you are on probably your looking in the Hot Club Dance list, the disco list i remember was a regional list of top selling disco hits across the country and He's My Man was #1 on several of those list because I was a Billboard scanner in the mid 70's

franjoy56
05-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Name
Chart [[1975)
Peak position

"He's My Man"
U.S. Billboard R&B Singles Chart [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/wiki/Hot_R%26B/Hip-Hop_Songs)

U.S. Billboard Hot Dance/Disco Singles [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/wiki/Hot_Dance_Club_Songs)

"Where Do I Go From Here"
U.S. Billboard R&B Singles Chart [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/wiki/Hot_R%26B/Hip-Hop_Songs)

U.S. Billboard Hot Dance/Disco Singles [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/wiki/Hot_Dance_Club_Songs)

[show [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/#)]

milven
05-10-2013, 12:30 AM
...I was a Billboard scanner in the mid 70's

I never heard that term. This was before Soundscan. Is a Billboard scanner someone who takes all the sales charts proviced by Billboard Reporters and scans them into some system? I always wondered how the info was compiled.

He's My Man did very well in NYC clubs and sold well in some stores that catered to the disco crowd. But I honestly don't remember hearing it that much on radio

REDHOT
05-10-2013, 03:17 AM
Something has changed with Billboard because i remember The Supremes album Mary Scherrie Susaye was on the Billboard disco charts,and the list would be different cities,and it would be the whole album,i remember that like it was yesterday.
Please stay positive

marv2
05-10-2013, 07:51 PM
After hearing every song on that album multiple times since 1975, this was the correct lead single. It had "a punch" and Mary sounded superb in duet with Scherrie Payne. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0meOwyxdlY

kenneth
05-10-2013, 09:19 PM
I do agree with Marv on that one...I think "He's My Man" was a great lead off single to what was really a new group. I think Suzanne dePasse was once quoted as saying that in spite of the fact that the latter day Supremes never lacked in talent, every group eventually runs its course in terms of popularity and buzz, and the Supremes just couldn't create interest as they had earlier with Diane, or even Jean.

We can always argue about which songs should or shouldn't have been hits, did they or did they not lack proper promotion, but to me, being a big fan of the MSS combination, I love the music today just as much as I did then and I like to think about it in terms of its musicality or longevity, meaning whether it sounds dated or not. I think the MSS albums hold up way better than most disco or dance albums of the era, including most of Donna Summer's which were obviously much more popular. Of course, it would have been great if they could have kept selling records as they had earlier, but it in no way affects my love of the music.

One funny thing I just recalled. When the "Supremes 75" album came out, I was working as a waiter in a bar in a college town. I used to take records to work every day for the bartender to play during my shift. This one was often in the stack, so, well, I know from personal experience that this LP got a lot of play in East Lansing, Michigan! I think some of the others I used to take in a lot to play were Yvonne Fair's "The Bitch is Black," the Marvelettes "Anthology", "A Collection of 16 Big Hits Vol. 2", and the Supremes "Anthology" as well.

luke
05-10-2013, 09:44 PM
You got that right Marv! Do you think it was adequtely promoted?

marv2
05-10-2013, 09:55 PM
You got that right Marv! Do you think it was adequtely promoted?

Uh, there was no way in Hell that album was promoted adequately by the company!LOL!!!! I can tell you that as a fact! There were very, very few copies available in record stores at the time. I found my copy in a music store that sold sheet music, instruments oh and some records.. .Seligman Bro's records in Toledo at the time.

There was one print ad I can remember showing the album jacket and print that said something to the effect that "The Supremes are back in fashion" or are always in fashion. Some trite sounding stuff that said nothing about the music or the album. Years later i heard a brief taped radio spot about the album that was sent to me by a friend in Pittsburgh.

I heard "He's My Man" on the radio 2 maybe 3 times towards the end of the summer of 1975. The only other single from the album I heard on the radio was "Where Do I Go From Hear" and they played that only once on the day after Florence Ballard passed as some type of tribute.

luke
05-10-2013, 10:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvTqSxwwlAk Johnny and the crowd loves them and Cindy sings a brief solo part at the end. Hes My Man. Seems to be in a lower key.

marv2
05-10-2013, 10:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvTqSxwwlAk Johnny and the crowd loves them and Cindy sings a brief solo part at the end. Hes My Man. Seems to be in a lower key.

I remember that show. Those three looked so good together on stage. They were sharp, professional, sexy and they could SANG!

kenneth
05-10-2013, 11:53 PM

Wow, what a great clip. Different look for Mary in terms of her hair especially. This must have been right after she gave birth to her child, as she was pregnant when the album cover photos were done.

REDHOT
05-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Sad to say Motown did not push He's My Man at all,The Supremes did all they could do,to push it,they[[Mary Cindy Scherrie)were on tv all the time,but Motown wouldn't help them,at all,and that's the truth.
Please stay positive

marv2
05-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Sad to say Motown did not push He's My Man at all,The Supremes did all they could do,to push it,they[[Mary Cindy Scherrie)were on tv all the time,but Motown wouldn't help them,at all,and that's the truth.
Please stay positive

The record was distributed very poorly.

Roberta75
05-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Please stay positive

If there was a huge demand for Hes My Man Motown would have pushed it. They was in the business of making money and unfortunately by that time the Supremes were not a big money maker. Read Marys Supreme Faith book and she tell you in her own words how poor the attendance was in a lot of mid west venues.

Roberta

marv2
05-11-2013, 07:34 PM
If there was a huge demand for Hes My Man Motown would have pushed it. They was in the business of making money and unfortunately by that time the Supremes were not a big money maker. Read Marys Supreme Faith book and she tell you in her own words how poor the attendance was in a lot of mid west venues.

Roberta

You are not a business person that is evident. In order for there to be a demand, especially for music, people have to hear it, to know about it first. You make no money by not promoting your product or service. Motown did not help the Supremes. They did not promote them or their releases by 1975. Mary knows that probably better than anyone.

marv2
05-11-2013, 07:39 PM
In the 70's, there were no female groups more successful than the Supremes overall. Some had one, perhaps two popular records, but overall the Supremes had far more.

Roberta75
05-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Motown did not help the Supremes. They did not promote them or their releases by 1975.

The 10th Supreme speaks with such authority. lol

Barbara Martin
Mary Wilson
Florence Ballard
Diane Ross
Cindy Birdsong
Lynda Lawrence
Scherrie Payne
Susaye Greene
Jean Terrell
Marv2.

lolololol

jobeterob
05-11-2013, 08:28 PM
The Pointer Sisters were more successful than the Supremes in the 70's. But the 70's were the age of the singer/songwriter ~ James Taylor, Carole King etc. The Supremes were old and there was nothing that could be done to change their fate especially when Mary and Pedro tried to direct things. It resulted in fiasco's like booking in a Country that practiced apartheid, booking at an oldies show and going out singing disco songs and getting boo'ed and releasing Touch as a single which closed the coffin.

The standard claptrap line from a fan when their favorite artist starts to fail is "the record company didn't promote them anymore"............and record companies do not promote acts that are not successful and can't come up with the hits. That was the Supremes in the 70's.

marv2
05-11-2013, 08:49 PM
The Pointer Sisters were more successful than the Supremes in the 70's. But the 70's were the age of the singer/songwriter ~ James Taylor, Carole King etc. The Supremes were old and there was nothing that could be done to change their fate especially when Mary and Pedro tried to direct things. It resulted in fiasco's like booking in a Country that practiced apartheid, booking at an oldies show and going out singing disco songs and getting boo'ed and releasing Touch as a single which closed the coffin.

The standard claptrap line from a fan when their favorite artist starts to fail is "the record company didn't promote them anymore"............and record companies do not promote acts that are not successful and can't come up with the hits. That was the Supremes in the 70's.

No they [[the Pointer Sisters )were not and I am almost embarassed for you being that you are such a "chart head"! Take yourself to your nearest chart book or go google it. Count the entries for the Supremes between 1970-77, then go and count them for the Pointer Sisters and any other female group between 1970-79 [[I'll give you two extra years to try to pull the numbers outta your ass ok?) Be brave and come back and tell us what you discovered...............hehehehehehehehe!

marv2
05-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Jobeterob........Just Do It! Let us know what you come up with and NO equivocating..... as you are well known to do!!!!

Roberta75
05-11-2013, 08:58 PM
No they were not and I am almost embarassed for you being that you are such a "chart head"! Take yourself to your nearest chart book or go google it. Count the entries for the Supremes between 1970-77, then go and count them for the Pointer Sisters and any other female group between 1970-79 [[I'll give you two extra years to try to pull the numbers outta your ass ok?) Be brave and come back and tell us what you discovered...............hehehehehehehehe!

You claim the Supremes were the top girl group in the 1970s and had all this chart sucess but then you say Motown didnt promote them. lol

davidh
05-11-2013, 09:27 PM
asi recall, the Jean led Supremes had a few hits up until 1972 with ,UP THE LADDER,STONED LOVE,NATHAN JONES ,FLOY JOY and AUTOMAITCALLY SUNSHINE, and of course RIVER DEEP.
but by 1973, it was over. the would have only one more minor hit with GONNA LET MY HEART.
over all, the POINTER SISTERS were more successful, IMO.

kenneth
05-11-2013, 09:39 PM
I'd like to think the Supremes were still the most successful girl group in the 70s, and maybe they were if you factor in the Jean Terrell years. But during the second half of the decade, both the Pointer Sisters and Labelle were more popular. They also were definitely more "hip," while the Supremes were still in the slick Motown vein and their act probably seemed dated to many listeners by then.

The Pointers didn't really hit their stride until the early 80s, but their biggest hit to date, "Fire," came out in 1978, according to their official web site.

I was never much of a Labelle fan - Patti's voice is too shrill for me - but their "Lady Marmalade" and other hits were in the same time frame as the Mary, Sherrie, Susaye lineup and did better on the charts.

But I think if you take the whole decade into account, Marv is probably right. It's just that in the MSS years, the Supremes were in decline while the others were ascending.

marv2
05-11-2013, 10:15 PM
You claim the Supremes were the top girl group in the 1970s and had all this chart sucess but then you say Motown didnt promote them. lol

Look Einstein.....NOT! Whatever successes the Supremes experienced in the 70's were in spite of Motown, not because of them. I'd give most of the credit to their fan base, because Motown was not going out of their way to promote them after Diane left.

marv2
05-11-2013, 10:18 PM
asi recall, the Jean led Supremes had a few hits up until 1972 with ,UP THE LADDER,STONED LOVE,NATHAN JONES ,FLOY JOY and AUTOMAITCALLY SUNSHINE, and of course RIVER DEEP.
but by 1973, it was over. the would have only one more minor hit with GONNA LET MY HEART.
over all, the POINTER SISTERS were more successful, IMO.

Between 1970-79 the Pointer Sisters had 4 Top 40 hits. The Supremes had 8!

marv2
05-11-2013, 10:21 PM
I'd like to think the Supremes were still the most successful girl group in the 70s, and maybe they were if you factor in the Jean Terrell years. But during the second half of the decade, both the Pointer Sisters and Labelle were more popular. They also were definitely more "hip," while the Supremes were still in the slick Motown vein and their act probably seemed dated to many listeners by then.

The Pointers didn't really hit their stride until the early 80s, but their biggest hit to date, "Fire," came out in 1978, according to their official web site.

I was never much of a Labelle fan - Patti's voice is too shrill for me - but their "Lady Marmalade" and other hits were in the same time frame as the Mary, Sherrie, Susaye lineup and did better on the charts.

But I think if you take the whole decade into account, Marv is probably right. It's just that in the MSS years, the Supremes were in decline while the others were ascending.

Between 1970-79 LaBelle had one [[1) Top 40 Hit. The Supremes had eight [[8) Top 40 Hits during that period. We can try the Emotions, but they will be found lacking. The bottomline is had Motown promoted The Supremes adequately during the 70's they would have more than likely double the number of top 40 Hits and would have easily continued on into the 80's.

marv2
05-11-2013, 11:19 PM

In reality, the Supremes sound in the 70's [[especially when it came to the Mary, Scherrie & Susaye grouping) did not sound dated. In fact they were a bit ahead of their time with efforts such as "High Energy", a definite fit for the "Quiet Storm" format even today. "We Should Be Closer Together" was every bit as soulful and jazzy as the Emotions "hit" "Don't Ask My Neighbors" [[which incidentally followed the Supremes recording by 1 year!). The public was being told not to support the Supremes because they were now dated, no longer relevant and sequinned out. The irony is that they were being told..........by the Supremes own record company!!!!

marv2
05-11-2013, 11:22 PM
The Three Degrees had 3 Top 40 Hits in the years 1970-79. The Supremes had 8.

Roberta75
05-12-2013, 01:16 AM
Between 1970-79 LaBelle had one [[1) Top 40 Hit. The Supremes had eight [[8) Top 40 Hits during that period. We can try the Emotions, but they will be found lacking. The bottomline is had Motown promoted The Supremes adequately during the 70's they would have more than likely double the number of top 40 Hits and would have easily continued on into the 80's.

lolololololololololol. It means a lot to you my dear doesnt it?

kenneth
05-12-2013, 01:20 AM
In reality, the Supremes sound in the 70's [[especially when it came to the Mary, Scherrie & Susaye grouping) did not sound dated. In fact they were a bit ahead of their time with efforts such as "High Energy", a definite fit for the "Quiet Storm" format even today. "We Should Be Closer Together" was every bit as soulful and jazzy as the Emotions "hit" "Don't Ask My Neighbors" [[which incidentally followed the Supremes recording by 1 year!). The public was being told not to support the Supremes because they were now dated, no longer relevant and sequinned out. The irony is that they were being told..........by the Supremes own record company!!!!

I agree, their sound was incredible. Fresh and exciting. I liked Jean Terrell but think Sherrie Payne and then Susaye Greene took them into new territory which owed a lot less to "The Motown Sound" than did the Jean era. I just think in terms of appearance and presentation they may have seemed too "mainstream" by the late 70s compared to some of the others who were funkier [[like the Pointers) or more outlandish [[like Labelle).

rod_rick
05-12-2013, 02:11 AM
I've always liked Early Morning Love. I never thought about the suggestive lyrics> I was glad to hear Mary sing out instead of the breathy sound that she developed later on in the late 60's early 70's. I wonder if we would be having the same conversation had Scherrie Payne recorded Early Morning Love in regards to the lyrics? He's My Man was a good single, Color My World Blue would have been a great follow up. Not too keen on song like It's All Been Said Before and Can't Stop A Girl In Love as singles. Now what should have been on the 75 lp was Bend A Little, now that would have been a fantastic singl for the group in 1975.
Well it look like according to Marv, the Supremes did pretty well with 8 top 40 hits in the 70's compared to the other groups. People give Labelle a lot of credit but they only had 2 songs that really hit for them Lady Marmelade and I sold My Heart to the Junkman. They had popular songs but not hits I take it. I would have thought for sure that the Pointer Sisters would have been in the running because songs like, Fire, He So Shy, Betcha You Got A Chick On The Side, Fairy Tales, and Yes We Can Can

gordy_hunk
05-12-2013, 08:55 AM
I remember hearing 'He's my man' on the radio many, many times during 1975. I thought it was an amazingly good record, and was bound to be a hit. Despite the airplay, it wasn't successful - but 38 years later, I still love hearing it.

At the time [[1975) I didn't realise that the lead singer wasn't Jean Terrell - of course I recognised Mary's voice.

I bought the LP and thought it was a substantial improvement upon previous releases [[Floy Joy and the Jimmy Webb LP). I still didn't know that Jean had left the group.

The LP was a collection of very good songs - and I particularly liked that Mary was also given a much higher profile in the singing.

Because of the discussion on here, I played the LP in the car last night - and enjoyed listening to it whilst driving.

I have no idea if the LP was given any publicity - I generally only read Blues and Soul at the time. No point in debating the 'what if ..' - history can't be re-written.

jobeterob
05-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

Ah................but Marv I thought you don't give a "shit" about the Charts. Or is that when Diane is on them?

From 1975 to 1988, the Pointer Sisters had 26 R & B Hits; 18 of those were Top 40 hits. Five of them went into the Top 10 and three made the Top 3.

Sadly, the Supremes evaporated around that time. I wish it were otherwise too. They had 5 singles reach the R & B Top 100, and only one made the Top 40 [[I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking - 25). He's My Man made #69. Although I love some of the five songs, none of those really qualify as a hit.

The point really is the Pointer Sisters took over as the dominant group from the Supremes, just like one day Whitney took from Diana as the dominant R & B female singer.

carole cucumber
05-12-2013, 01:29 PM
The public was being told not to support the Supremes because they were now dated, no longer relevant and sequinned out. The irony is that they were being told..........by the Supremes own record company!!!!

Can't you just hear John/Jane Q. Public:
"Yes[['m), Motown, master. We[['ll) be good men and women, boys and girls. You want us who have expressed interest in the Supremes to now abandon them because they are outdated, irrelevant, and still in sequins. Of course we will, since you say so......
Marv's assertion sounds absolutely absurd.
Marv please produce documentation to back up your statement. If you cannot, if I were you I would beg Roberta to get some prayer warriors [[and being a Christian woman, I'm sure that she would) or Jobeterob if he knows any good lawyers in the U.S. [[and being a decent human being I'm sure he would assist) lest someone from Motown decide to ask you to defend what you have posted that can easily be viewed as libel.

marv2
05-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Can't you just hear John/Jane Q. Public:
"Yes[['m), Motown, master. We[['ll) be good men and women, boys and girls. You want us who have expressed interest in the Supremes to now abandon them because they are outdated, irrelevant, and still in sequins. Of course we will, since you say so......
Marv's assertion sounds absolutely absurd.
Marv please produce documentation to back up your statement. If you cannot, if I were you I would beg Roberta to get some prayer warriors [[and being a Christian woman, I'm sure that she would) or Jobeterob if he knows any good lawyers in the U.S. [[and being a decent human being I'm sure he would assist) lest someone from Motown decide to ask you to defend what you have posted that can easily be viewed as libel.

No, it's your ignorance of history is what is absolutely absurd! That was exactly what Suzanne DePasse was saying in public back at the time just before Motown.............................Introduced High Inergy! If you knew anything, you would know that [[so why am I even wasting my time responding to you!
) LOL!

marv2
05-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

Ah................but Marv I thought you don't give a "shit" about the Charts. Or is that when Diane is on them?

As I said. You are a "chart head" and this was the only way I could think of communicating to you that you were wrong as Hell when you claimed that the Pointer Sisters were more successful in the 70's than the Supremes!

From 1975 to 1988, the Pointer Sisters had 26 R & B Hits; 18 of those were Top 40 hits. Five of them went into the Top 10 and three made the Top 3.

You are lying. Nothing usual about that. That is a 13 year span. That's including the 70's and the 80's.

Sadly, the Supremes evaporated around that time. I wish it were otherwise too. They had 5 singles reach the R & B Top 100, and only one made the Top 40 [[I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking - 25). He's My Man made #69. Although I love some of the five songs, none of those really qualify as a hit.

More lies. The Supremes had 8 Top 40 Hits between 1970-79, whereas the Pointer Sisters had 4!

The point really is the Pointer Sisters took over as the dominant group from the Supremes, just like one day Whitney took from Diana as the dominant R & B female singer.

The point is, you cannot tell the truth with a LIE!

As I said. You are a "chart head" and this was the only way I could think of communicating to you that you were wrong as Hell when you claimed that the Pointer Sisters were more successful in the 70's than the Supremes!

You are lying. Nothing usual about that. That is a 13 year span. That's including the 70's and the 80's.

More lies. The Supremes had 8 Top 40 Hits between 1970-79, whereas the Pointer Sisters had 4!

The point is, you cannot tell the truth with a LIE!

marv2
05-12-2013, 01:51 PM

One other thing. I clearly asked that you not do what you normally do and that is equivocate your responses, but being that I know you as a mostly dishonest person, you went and did it anyway!

The time frame in question was the 70's and specifically 1970-79 [[The Supremes did not exist as a recording act after 1977!). But once again, you pretend you do not read and understand English and chose to use the years 1975-88 which is a 13 year period to make a point about the Pointer Sisters hits.

I stand by what I said originally. There were no other female group in the 70's that were more successful than the Supremes. The Supremes did it with minor support from their record company and very little promotion. The had 8 Top 40 Hits between 1970-79 and the Pointers Sisters had 4 Top 40 Hits between 1970-79.

jobeterob
05-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Carole: Yes, I can refer Marv to good counsel for his legal actions. Penny has given him good Avon products to calm him ~ but to know avail. And I'm sure that Roberta has prayed for his soul [[and possibly some strategically placed duct tape).

I'm waiting for a SD Press Release from Smokey refuting any suggestions Motown did not market all of it's act to the maximum: "We at Motown were in the business of making hits and any suggestion to the contrary comes from the same ill advised people that suggested Berry was connected to the Mafia".

The 70's Supremes made the R & B Top 40 9 times; the Pointer Sisters made the R & B Top 40 TWENTY ONE [[21) times!

K, everyone else stop reading here; but MARV, READ ON: God I love this:

"Just goes to show you that without Diane, the Supremes rapidly deteriorated to a minor blip on the screen".

marv2
05-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Carole: Yes, I can refer Marv to good counsel for his legal actions. Penny has given him good Avon products to calm him ~ but to know avail. And I'm sure that Roberta has prayed for his soul [[and possibly some strategically placed duct tape).

I'm waiting for a SD Press Release from Smokey refuting any suggestions Motown did not market all of it's act to the maximum: "We at Motown were in the business of making hits and any suggestion to the contrary comes from the same ill advised people that suggested Berry was connected to the Mafia".

The 70's Supremes made the R & B Top 40 9 times; the Pointer Sisters made the R & B Top 40 TWENTY ONE [[21) times!

K, everyone else stop reading here; but MARV, READ ON: God I love this:

"Just goes to show you that without Diane, the Supremes rapidly deteriorated to a minor blip on the screen".

Still equivocating I see. I never referred to the "R&B Top 40" I was referring to "The Top 40" , a chart that you especially would value. You just cannot be honest to save your life, can you? So continue on with your blather, blather, blather in your most weakest attempts to downplay and de-value Mary and the 70's Supremes. [[Although, there never was an act called "The 70's Supremes"! LOL!!!!)

The Supremes were the most successful female group overall of the 70's!

luke
05-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Facts are facts. Isnt it odd that on a Motown forum with Motown people like Andy and George etc who so value the work theyve done on among others the Supremes, as do many fans here, some want do devalue Supremes work in the 70s.

Roberta75
05-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Facts are facts. Isnt it odd that on a Motown forum with Motown people like Andy and George etc who so value the work theyve done on among others the Supremes, as do many fans here, some want do devalue Supremes work in the 70s.

Whos facts are we talking about dear? Your bff marv2? The man who claim that heard Love hangover 2 months before it was released?

Hes been busted more times than lindsay Lohan. lolololololol

Roberta

REDHOT
05-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Well Marv is right on this[[like it or not)we're talking about the 70s,not the 80s,The Supremes ended in 77,so you can't put them in the 80s,The fans was doing more promotion then Motown,and yes the writing was on the wall when Motown sign a new girl group,name High Inergy,in they're promo Motown called them The New Supremes,Really?The Supremes were still with Motown,and at the time,having some success with they're latest album called High Energy,Pedro should have not been in the picture,[[at all)as fare as Diana goes,Everything is Everything,Surrender album didn't do so well,and i love those albums anyway,both act's had they're share of problems,that's life
Please stay positive

marv2
05-12-2013, 07:06 PM

If they weren't so disingenuous, and this talking out of both sides of their mouths. If it weren't so gross, it might be funny! Why pretend to be such big fans that you come on here and discuss them every friggin day, but want to deny them of their accomplishments on the other hand. Praising Andy ,George and whomever for their work reissuing recordings and then softly slamming the recording artists is just insane!

marv2
05-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Whos facts are we talking about dear? Your bff marv2? The man who claim that heard Love hangover 2 months before it was released?

Hes been busted more times than lindsay Lohan. lolololololol

Roberta

You are so embarassing LOL! There are only one set of facts for anything. Just as the truth is the truth and you cannot add or take away from it. It's your responses like this one that makes me question whether or not you truly are a spiritual person or if you are just using the Bible and religion to project a false image of yourself here to the other members? You do remind me of this guy called "Jonc" that use to post here before Ralph had to ban him for being routinely nasty and obnoxious. You even use the same phrases, language and quotes he did..........

marv2
05-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Well Marv is right on this[[like it or not)we're talking about the 70s,not the 80s,The Supremes ended in 77,so you can't put them in the 80s,The fans was doing more promotion then Motown,and yes the writing was on the wall when Motown sign a new girl group,name High Inergy,in they're promo Motown called them The New Supremes,Really?The Supremes were still with Motown,and at the time,having some success with they're latest album called High Energy,Pedro should have not been in the picture,[[at all)as fare as Diana goes,Everything is Everything,Surrender album didn't do so well,and i love those albums anyway,both act's had they're share of problems,that's life
Please stay positive

Thank you Redhot!

marv2
05-12-2013, 07:33 PM

There you go lying again! The Pointer Sisters had seven [[7) R&B Top 40 hits in the .70's. The Supremes had nine [[9) R&B Top 40 hits in the 70's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pointer_Sisters_discography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supremes_discography

Roberta75
05-12-2013, 07:47 PM
You are so embarassing LOL! There are only one set of facts for anything. Just as the truth is the truth and you cannot add or take away from it. It's your responses like this one that makes me question whether or not you truly are a spiritual person or if you are just using the Bible and religion to project a false image of yourself here to the other members? You do remind me of this guy called "Jonc" that use to post here before Ralph had to ban him for being routinely nasty and obnoxious. You even use the same phrases, language and quotes he did..........

I am not the embarrasing one myself. You should be real embarresed for all the yarns you spin. I am not jonc or anyone else I am Roberta and I am a proud Christian and you my dear are in my prayers. Youve yet to address how you heard love Hangover months before it was released but carry on marv2 we are onto you.

Roberta*

Roberta75
05-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Praising Andy ,George and whomever for their work reissuing recordings and them softly slamming the recording artists is just insane!

Two words dear marv2 Diane Ross. The only difference is you dont softly slam her.

Roberta75
05-12-2013, 08:14 PM
There you go lying again! The Pointer Sisters had seven [[7) R&B Top 40 hits in the .70's. The Supremes had nine [[9) R&B Top 40 hits in the 70's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pointer_Sisters_discography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supremes_discography

wikipedia can be edited and embellished by anyone but if you want to promote the 70s Supremes as the top group from the 1970s even though you claim that motown didnt promote them then go ahead my dear. If thats all you got then you go run with it.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

marv2
05-12-2013, 08:23 PM
I am not the embarrasing one myself. You should be real embarresed for all the yarns you spin. I am not jonc or anyone else I am Roberta and I am a proud Christian and you my dear are in my prayers. Youve yet to address how you heard love Hangover months before it was released but carry on marv2 we are onto you.

Roberta*

I'm sorry but you just remind me so much of this dude named Jonc. He use to follow me around the forum habitually harping on something very trivial. You do the same thing and you use the same wording, phrases he did. That's all.

marv2
05-12-2013, 08:26 PM
wikipedia can be edited and embellished by anyone but if you want to promote the 70s Supremes as the top group from the 1970s even though you claim that motown didnt promote them then go ahead my dear. If thats all you got then you go run with it.

Roberta

I'm not trying promote a now defunct group! I used Wikipedia as a source for the sake of speed . Now you can take the time if you want to and go back to all those old Billboard Magazines that they have online now and count up the chart entries for the Supremes and the Pointer Sisters in the 70's. I just don't have the time. Motown did not promote them adequately. The fans did more to promote them and their work in those days.

Roberta75
05-12-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm sorry but you just remind me so much of this dude named Jonc. He use to follow me around the forum habitually harping on something very trivial. You do the same thing and you use the same wording, phrases he did. That's all.

Well once again you are wrong. You remind me of a nasty person I used to work with that craved attention and called people horrible names but I know your not. See you start stuff and get real nasty with people and then you sit back playing po me while you wait for Ralph to ban people That aint gonna happen with me cuase I am onto your games and tricks and bu****it and Im friends with Ralph and I like and respect Ralph a lot.

Now I had you on ignore for 6 months but you carried on responding to a lot of my posts so if you want me to put you on ignore again you need to ignore me as well and that mean all of my postings.

Roberta

davidh
05-12-2013, 09:10 PM
first of all, I am a fan of the supremes, all of them. and I like the Pointer sisters as well.
I did hear the early 70s hits on the radio from the supremes but nothing after 1972. never heard any of the disco hits from the mid 70's. I liked the supremes but they seemd over by then. I saw the Pointer Sisters on tv all the time and heard them on the radio,and they were even in THe movies, CAR WASH.
the last hit the Supremes had was FLOY JOY,,only 6 top twenty hits. I wanted thr supremes to have a hit like everyone else but here in Baltimore, the supremes were over and considered oldies but goodies

carole cucumber
05-12-2013, 10:13 PM
The public was being told not to support the Supremes because they were now dated, no longer relevant and sequinned out. The irony is that they were being told..........by the Supremes own record company!!!!
That was exactly what Suzanne DePasse was saying in public back at the time just before Motown.............................Introduced High Inergy!

I'm glad you cleared that up. I NEVER knew that you considered Suzanne DePasse a record company. I've yet to see a Supremes' record on Suzanne Depasse Records. My, the things we learn at SDF.

alexgarret
05-12-2013, 10:25 PM
This....
<<Youve yet to address how you heard love Hangover months before it was released but carry on marv2 we are onto you.>>

carole cucumber
05-13-2013, 11:05 AM
No, it's your ignorance of history is what is absolutely absurd! That was exactly what Suzanne DePasse was saying in public back at the time just before Motown.............................Introduced High Inergy!
) LOL!

You, Marv, have said always go to someone who was there. So I did. I went to "Dreamgirl" and "Supreme Faith" to see what Mary had to say about High Inergy and Suzanne DePasse.
Guess what......No mention of Motown or Suzanne promoting High Inergy as the new Supremes and trying to sway the public away from Supreme loyalty.
Surprisingly, Mary only mentions High Inergy once [[in "Dreamgirl")- in the prologue as participants at Motown 25.
But here's what she says about Suzanne in ''Supreme Faith" :
"Many of the old-timers wondered whether Suzanne could handle everything Berry threw her way, but she did. She also brought aboard a new way of thinking about artists and records. I must say that OF ANYONE AT THE LABEL, SHE SEEMED TO BE THE PERSON MOST BEHIND THE SUPREMES. [[pg. 46)
"Suzanne dePasse and I talked about Motown's plans for a possible Supremes reunion. Although I have not always agreed with Suzanne over the years, SHE IS FAIR. At one point she said that she really liked my voice and she thought they could 'do something with it'. That was the first time anyone at Motown had ever complimented me" [[pg. 263)

Even if Suzanne did say what you suggest, Mary seems to either have forgotten it, or chooses not to mention it, or ......read on.

captainjames
05-13-2013, 11:32 AM
As far as girl groups of the 70's especially around 1971, I think the Honey Cone gave Motown and any other girl group a run for their money. "Want Ads", "Stick Up", "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show", "The Day I Found Myself" and " Sitting On A Time Bomb" etc. were big hits for the ladies. I think they made a lot of people nervous including Motown, The Supremes and myself included. It was hard to ignore the Hone Cone since The Holland Brothers were suppose to be featured writers for the label. What The Supremes had was longevity from their history but time and creativity was catching up to them and on the circuit "Baby Love " sounded better with Diana singing it since she was the lead singer during that time.

marv2
05-13-2013, 11:41 AM
You, Marv, have said always go to someone who was there. So I did. I went to "Dreamgirl" and "Supreme Faith" to see what Mary had to say about High Inergy and Suzanne DePasse.
Guess what......No mention of Motown or Suzanne promoting High Inergy as the new Supremes and trying to sway the public away from Supreme loyalty.
Surprisingly, Mary only mentions High Inergy once [[in "Dreamgirl")- in the prologue as participants at Motown 25.
But here's what she says about Suzanne in ''Supreme Faith" :
"Many of the old-timers wondered whether Suzanne could handle everything Berry threw her way, but she did. She also brought aboard a new way of thinking about artists and records. I must say that OF ANYONE AT THE LABEL, SHE SEEMED TO BE THE PERSON MOST BEHIND THE SUPREMES. [[pg. 46)
"Suzanne dePasse and I talked about Motown's plans for a possible Supremes reunion. Although I have not always agreed with Suzanne over the years, SHE IS FAIR. At one point she said that she really liked my voice and she thought they could 'do something with it'. That was the first time anyone at Motown had ever complimented me" [[pg. 263)

Even if Suzanne did say what you suggest, Mary seems to either have forgotten it, or chooses not to mention it, or ......read on.

I am declining at this point of saying anymore regarding this issue, hehehehehehehehe!

carole cucumber
05-13-2013, 11:44 AM
No, it's your ignorance of history is what is absolutely absurd! That was exactly what Suzanne DePasse was saying in public back at the time just before Motown.............................Introduced High Inergy! LOL!

I know that you, Marv, claim that you are not guided by the record charts, yet you do refer to them often.
Looking at the charts I noted that Motown released High Inergy's first single
in September of 1977 and their first album in October of 1977 [[they had just graduated from Pasadena's Blair High School that summer).
The Supremes' [[Mary, Scherrie, Susaye) last performance had taken place on June 12, 1977 at Drury Lane Theatre, London, after which Mary Wilson officially left the group. Thereafter there was discussion at Motown about possibly continuing the group with a third girl, [[Mary mentions this several times in "Supreme Faith" and adds this tidbit " I wasn't surprised to read the numerous stories of Scherrie and Susaye where they talked about how 'their NEW SUPREMES would be different'''. Technically once Mary left there was no current official Motown group known as The Supremes.
In fact, Mary learned after her exit from the group that a South American commitment [[scheduled while Mary was still a Supreme) had to be fulfilled. Scherrie and Susaye did not want to be involved on such short notice, so Mary recruited Cindy Birdsong and Debbie Sharpe to assist her. They could not be billed as The Supremes. Instead the show had to be billed as 'The Mary Wilson of the Supremes Show'.
If Motown was discerning whom the 'new Supremes' would be, either Scherrie, Susaye & ? or if they wanted to begin anew with teenagers, High Inergy, that was their perogative. Neither Suzanne nor Motown could have been disuading the public away from a group that no longer officially existed.
Once again, Marv , your history is off target.

milven
05-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Carol, you made a strong rebuttal to Marv's statement and what is his reaction ?

This

I am declining at this point of saying anymore regarding this issue, hehehehehehehehe!

He makes statements, can't back them up, and then runs away, ignores, and shuts his mouth. If only we could get him to shut his mouth before he makes statements that he can't back up hehehehehehehe! :rolleyes:

Jobeterob........Just Do It! Let us know what you come up with and NO equivocating..... as you are well known to do!!!!

Marv has the nerve to tell another member on this board to back up what he says, but Marv does not follow his own advice. Marv, just do it! Let us know what you come up with and no equivocating....as you are well known to do!!! How did you hear Love Hangover by the Fifth Dimension before it was even recorded. And what about that three month drama about Motown 50 that you put us through where you knew all this inside info about the upcoming TV special. You know, the one that never happened?

And now, your Gospel According to Marv story of Suzannne DePasse

jobeterob
05-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Good research Carole. The cold hard facts of what Mary wrote and your research will again leave Marv2 speechless and he'll doubtless decline to comment again ~ miraculous that you pulled that off.

What I got out of this discussion is it shows how much the female group declined in the 70's. There just weren't many of them out there and they didn't have a lot of success. Perhaps it also happened to the male groups because all the Motown groups started to decline during the 70's. The Jacksons certainly started off with a bang but it wasn't a lot of years before their hits started to be fewer.

milven
05-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Good research Carole. The cold hard facts of what Mary wrote and your research will again leave Marv2 speechless and he'll doubtless decline to comment again ~ miraculous that you pulled that off.

He has done it already Rob.

He now refuses to comment on this subject and has left the thread to start trouble in another thread.

jobeterob
05-13-2013, 05:03 PM
He lost another one! There's a good video to go with this. I'll go search and post.

jobeterob
05-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Here we go with the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qny0gBgQ9v8

He lost another one! There's a good video to go with this. I'll go search and post.

marv2
05-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Mary Wilson did a great job of leading on "Early Morning Love" which I always thought was a great record.

The Supremes were the most successful female recording group over all in the 1970's!

floyjoy678
05-13-2013, 11:03 PM
I didn't really like any of Mary's leads on the 1975 album. A lot of those songs I kept thinking why didn't Scherrie get the [[whole) lead? Now I love Mary's vocals on "High Energy" and "Mary, Scherrie and Susaye" especially on "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You", I think that's my all time favorite Mary-led song. By that point she had really come into her own.

smark21
05-14-2013, 07:49 AM
I really enjoy Mary’s lead on “You Turn Me Around” on the 75 album. But I agree, she really came into her own as a lead singer on those ballads on High Energy.

supremester
05-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Marv is passionate, however. I was just reading some of his comments on Youtube and have never read so much filth in that forum ever. Every 4 letter word is all over the place and name calling I haven't heard since grade school - all in support of his assertion that Mary and Flo are on EVERY Supremes single and album track. Opinions can vary - but he truly cares to get his version out there!

I know that you, Marv, claim that you are not guided by the record charts, yet you do refer to them often.
Looking at the charts I noted that Motown released High Inergy's first single
in September of 1977 and their first album in October of 1977 [[they had just graduated from Pasadena's Blair High School that summer).
The Supremes' [[Mary, Scherrie, Susaye) last performance had taken place on June 12, 1977 at Drury Lane Theatre, London, after which Mary Wilson officially left the group. Thereafter there was discussion at Motown about possibly continuing the group with a third girl, [[Mary mentions this several times in "Supreme Faith" and adds this tidbit " I wasn't surprised to read the numerous stories of Scherrie and Susaye where they talked about how 'their NEW SUPREMES would be different'''. Technically once Mary left there was no current official Motown group known as The Supremes.
In fact, Mary learned after her exit from the group that a South American commitment [[scheduled while Mary was still a Supreme) had to be fulfilled. Scherrie and Susaye did not want to be involved on such short notice, so Mary recruited Cindy Birdsong and Debbie Sharpe to assist her. They could not be billed as The Supremes. Instead the show had to be billed as 'The Mary Wilson of the Supremes Show'.
If Motown was discerning whom the 'new Supremes' would be, either Scherrie, Susaye & ? or if they wanted to begin anew with teenagers, High Inergy, that was their perogative. Neither Suzanne nor Motown could have been disuading the public away from a group that no longer officially existed.
Once again, Marv , your history is off target.

supremester
05-15-2013, 03:42 PM
You are not a music person that is evident. HUNDREDS of singles got released every week in the 70's. 5 might get added to a playlist. The Supremes had been off the radar totally for over two years while Mary fought for the name. The public had moved on. Programmers have to add the songs they feel will keep the audence from turning the dial.

NO AMOUNT OF "PROMOTION" CAN GET A PROGRAMMER TO ADD A SONG THEY FEEL WILL RESULT IN LOWER RATINGS - it's just that simple. It's his job if his ratings slip.

He's My Man WAS 'promoted" that's how it got into clubs - Motown sent it out to every club and had their guys take it personally to the big clubs in the country. There were ads in trade and fan periodicals. They were on TV [[which I think hurt more than helped) . With the clubs playing it constantly, the public HEARD it and could have bought it. They didn't. [[This is how I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking got started and why High Energy sold well) I heard it a lot, liked it, but it was standard disco fare at the time, I wasn't compelled to buy it or It's All Been Said Before - which I also liked. I had no idea it was The Supremes. When I found out, I bought the album and it was so/so. Early Morning Love? Yeeech. I'd have cleaned up and re-edited He's My Man and It's All Been Said Before for radio. Both singles needed work for radio. I agree with whoever said Color My World Blue is the best cut - and may have sttood the best chance for radio. I also agree with whoever said Don't Lt The Teardrops was Marys best vocal. I think that could have hit.

Motown had VERY STRONG distribution - there was never an issue there. If distributors didn't WANT the product, they didn't order it. Didtributors who got stuck returning a lot of The Supremes previous product would naturally be reticent to bring much in - but I saw both the album and single in all the usual places that stocked albus and singles that hadn't hit yet.

When is someone going to say it didn't hit because it wasn't right for the market? Why must it always be blamed on promotion? It's silly to suggest it. Sorry Doesn't Always Make it Right didn't hit that year either - I guess it just didn't get the push Stevie was getting........

QUOTE=marv2;165522]You are not a business person that is evident. In order for there to be a demand, especially for music, people have to hear it, to know about it first. You make no money by not promoting your product or service. Motown did not help the Supremes. They did not promote them or their releases by 1975. Mary knows that probably better than anyone.[/QUOTE]

rod_rick
05-15-2013, 04:05 PM
You are not a music person that is evident. HUNDREDS of singles got released every week in the 70's. 5 might get added to a playlist. The Supremes had been off the radar totally for over two years while Mary fought for the name. The public had moved on. Programmers have to add the songs they feel will keep the audence from turning the dial.

NO AMOUNT OF "PROMOTION" CAN GET A PROGRAMMER TO ADD A SONG THEY FEEL WILL RESULT IN LOWER RATINGS - it's just that simple. It's his job if his ratings slip.

He's My Man WAS 'promoted" that's how it got into clubs - Motown sent it out to every club and had their guys take it personally to the big clubs in the country. There were ads in trade and fan periodicals. They were on TV [[which I think hurt more than helped) . With the clubs playing it constantly, the public HEARD it and could have bought it. They didn't. [[This is how I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking got started and why High Energy sold well) I heard it a lot, liked it, but it was standard disco fare at the time, I wasn't compelled to buy it or It's All Been Said Before - which I also liked. I had no idea it was The Supremes. When I found out, I bought the album and it was so/so. Early Morning Love? Yeeech. I'd have cleaned up and re-edited He's My Man and It's All Been Said Before for radio. Both singles needed work for radio. I agree with whoever said Color My World Blue is the best cut - and may have sttood the best chance for radio. I also agree with whoever said Don't Lt The Teardrops was Marys best vocal. I think that could have hit.

Motown had VERY STRONG distribution - there was never an issue there. If distributors didn't WANT the product, they didn't order it. Didtributors who got stuck returning a lot of The Supremes previous product would naturally be reticent to bring much in - but I saw both the album and single in all the usual places that stocked albus and singles that hadn't hit yet.

When is someone going to say it didn't hit because it wasn't right for the market? Why must it always be blamed on promotion? It's silly to suggest it. Sorry Doesn't Always Make it Right didn't hit that year either - I guess it just didn't get the push Stevie was getting........

QUOTE=marv2;165522]You are not a business person that is evident. In order for there to be a demand, especially for music, people have to hear it, to know about it first. You make no money by not promoting your product or service. Motown did not help the Supremes. They did not promote them or their releases by 1975. Mary knows that probably better than anyone.[/QUOTE]

I can say that "He's My Man" was in the rotation of a few radio stations in Los Angeles that catered to R&B market. In fact I heard "He's My Man" more than "Let My Heart Do The Walking". The last single I heard of the radio before "He's My Man" was "Automatically Sunshine" didn't hear anything about Bad Weather or I Guess I'll Miss The at all until their Soul Train appearance.

jobeterob
05-15-2013, 04:49 PM
In Vancouver, you heard nothing by the Supremes after Stoned Love which was everywhere. So was Everybody's Got the Right to Love because it was "Canadian content". Nathan Jones, you had to hunt to hear. And after that, you couldn't find them anymore.

I agree that Motown should have pushed Sorry Doesn't Make It All Right and Sleepin way more. They were awesome songs. But Motown was in the business of screwing Diana literally and figuratively; they'd practiced on the Supremes and Mary for years before and didn't promote any of them properly. NOW THAT IS A BUNCH OF RUBBISH! As the previous few posts have pretty much proven!

supremester
05-15-2013, 05:31 PM
LOL @ Sleepin. It shows that sometimes the powers that be can be too close to a track to be objective. Thats why Sleepin, Touch & Special Part of Me got sent out. Bad calls! I had seen some questionable single releases in my day, but Sleepin took the cake! Maybe it would have caught on if it had gotten a lot of play - its a good track - but its not radio friendly. But TOUCH???? wow - what a dog. Bad Weather was so noisy, no way was it gonna get on. I like i Guess i'll miss The Man - but its not a single.
There are songs like Martha's Bless You, or Ross' Gone that I believe would have hit hard if played, but often songs that don't get played, don't get played for a good reason.

Up The ladder, Everybody's, Stoned love, River deep, Nathan, Floy, Automatically all got played in Portland. Nothing after that until I'm gonna Let..... And lemme tell ya: if "You're mine - I'm yours, so who cares if when it rains, it pours" get played ANYWHERE - it got promoted! The PD at our big station was furious that Miss ross left The Supremes and only really played Reach Out and Ain't. I heard These Things will Keep Me Loving you once, and Reach Out i'll be there a few times. He never added Remember Me even.

davidh
05-15-2013, 05:56 PM
I did like Mary's lead on YOU TURN ME AROUND, but thought she did better on HIGH ENERGY. I did like the original version of HIGH ENERGY lp rather than the disco version that actually got released. Mary's full lead on YOURE WHATS MISSING IN MY LIFE is really good. maybe the Supremes were the most successful female group but ???? of the 70s. not sure. just know nothing got played here after Floy Joy. maybe AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE a few times but that was it. I also think that in the 70s the Supremes should have dropped all the broadway tunes and added their own songs. think it would have helped their album sales .the broadway stuff worked in the 60s but in the 70s it was considered old hat. I also thought SHA LA BANDIT was good and I would have issued it as a single.imo.

davidh
05-15-2013, 05:59 PM
ps, the only songs of dianas that got played were AINT NO MOUNTAIN,REMEMBER ME,TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING,LAST TIME I SAW HIM, nothing else until DO U KNWO WHERE YOURE GOING TO

franjoy56
05-19-2013, 12:27 AM
I did like Mary's lead on YOU TURN ME AROUND, but thought she did better on HIGH ENERGY. I did like the original version of HIGH ENERGY lp rather than the disco version that actually got released. Mary's full lead on YOURE WHATS MISSING IN MY LIFE is really good. maybe the Supremes were the most successful female group but ???? of the 70s. not sure. just know nothing got played here after Floy Joy. maybe AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE a few times but that was it. I also think that in the 70s the Supremes should have dropped all the broadway tunes and added their own songs. think it would have helped their album sales .the broadway stuff worked in the 60s but in the 70s it was considered old hat. I also thought SHA LA BANDIT was good and I would have issued it as a single.imo. Yes the Supremes were the most successful group with 12 entries and 15 entries that hit the pop and r&b charts in the 70's no other female groups came close came close from 1970 to 1977 The Pointer Sister only had 4 top 40 Pop hits and 7 r&b hits. Why is everyone ganging up on Marvin go telling the truth, his facts are on the money I just checked out everything he said in my book called Joel Whitburns Top R&b Singles 1942 -1999 with a cross reference into Pop stats as well.

franjoy56
05-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Yes the Supremes were the most successful group with 12 entries and 15 entries that hit the pop and r&b charts in the 70's no other female groups came close came close from 1970 to 1977 The Pointer Sister only had 4 top 40 Pop hits and 7 r&b hits. Why is everyone ganging up on Marvin go telling the truth, his facts are on the money I just checked out everything he said in my book called Joel Whitburns Top R&b Singles 1942 -1999 with a cross reference into Pop stats as well. And to support the lead post "Early Morning Love" was a funky chunk in the clubs and a fabulous track on the Supremes LP it showed Mary could do uptempo tracks and get funky, I also like Mary's "Mr. Boogyman" and Scherrie's "Dance Fever" they should have made the album as well expanding it to 12 tracks instead of 10 period, and it would have been well worth it after a 2.5 year wait.

kenneth
05-19-2013, 12:36 PM
In Vancouver, you heard nothing by the Supremes after Stoned Love which was everywhere. So was Everybody's Got the Right to Love because it was "Canadian content". Nathan Jones, you had to hunt to hear. And after that, you couldn't find them anymore.

@Jobeterob,

I always liked "Everybody's Got the Right to Love." It reminds me of Dean Martin's "Everybody Loves Somebody," which may be why a lot of critics seemed to dismiss it. But I love the easy going, loose feel to the song and the way Jean sings it.

But what do you mean by Canadian content? Was it written by a Canadian?

supremester
05-19-2013, 05:47 PM
How did it sound on the radio? The nucleus for a hit was there, it just needed fine tuning.

I can say that "He's My Man" was in the rotation of a few radio stations in Los Angeles that catered to R&B market. In fact I heard "He's My Man" more than "Let My Heart Do The Walking". The last single I heard of the radio before "He's My Man" was "Automatically Sunshine" didn't hear anything about Bad Weather or I Guess I'll Miss The at all until their Soul Train appearance.[/QUOTE]

supremester
05-19-2013, 06:39 PM
the problem with those numbers is that they don't tell the whole story. Your figures are correct, but the group was not the most popular - they needed a ig hit and didn't have one. You can't build a career on a top 7 and a record that was #10 for one week.
Wkipedia [[hardly a bible - but it IS a source)
the only girl group with any significant chart presence from the beginning of the British Invasion [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Invasion) through 1970 was The Supremes.[6] [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_group#cite_note-6)[7] [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_group#cite_note-7)
1970s to mid-1980s [edit [[http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Girl_group&action=edit&section=3)]From 1971 through 1974 the only two hits purely by girl groups peaking in the top 10 were "Want Ads [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Want_Ads)" by Honey Cone [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_Cone) and "When Will I See You Again [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Will_I_See_You_Again)" by The Three Degrees [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Degrees)[8] [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_group#cite_note-8) [[which had roots in the 1960s). Patti LaBelle [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patti_LaBelle) and The Bluebelles [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labelle) was a US 1960s girl group whose image Vicki Wickham [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicki_Wickham), their manager, helped remake in the early 1970s, renaming the group Labelle [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labelle) and pushing them in the direction of glam rock [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glam_rock).[9] [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_group#cite_note-9) Labelle were the first girl group to eschew matching outfits and identical choreography, instead wearing extravagant spacesuits and feathered headdresses.[10] [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_group#cite_note-10)[11] [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_group#cite_note-11) Later, during the disco [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco) craze and beyond, female acts included Silver Convention [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Convention), Hot [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_[[vocal_group)), The Emotions [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emotions), High Inergy [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Inergy), Odyssey [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odyssey_[[band)), Sister Sledge [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Sledge), Belle Epoque [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Epoque_[[band)), Frantique [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frantique), Luv' [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luv%27) and Baccara [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baccara). Then other groups later took advantage of the disco backlash and brought girl bands into pop and pop rock from the late 1970s to the mid-1980s; among the most successful of these were Pointer Sisters [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointer_Sisters) [[continuing its string of hits from the 1970s), Weather Girls [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Girls), Mary Jane Girls [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jane_Girls), and Bananarama [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bananarama). The Bangles [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bangles) and The Go-Go's [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Go-Go%27s) each achieved success during this period but would be considered more as all-female bands [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-female_band), more indebted to 1960s garage rock [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garage_rock), 1970s punk [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punk_rock), folk, and 1960s psychedelia [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock).

JMC were not drawing well after '70 and were getting B and C gigs by '73. It wasn't a reflection on their talent, or lack of radio play. They just didn't have that essential smash to hang their hat on. Rather than admit they didn't catch on, some blame promotion, distribution or, insanely, a conspiracy that includes trying to kill the group, but still make it look like they were being supportive so they give them great records, top producers, lots of TV and a full concert schedule - while hoping they fail. ROTFLMAO

Yes the Supremes were the most successful group with 12 entries and 15 entries that hit the pop and r&b charts in the 70's no other female groups came close came close from 1970 to 1977 The Pointer Sister only had 4 top 40 Pop hits and 7 r&b hits. Why is everyone ganging up on Marvin go telling the truth, his facts are on the money I just checked out everything he said in my book called Joel Whitburns Top R&b Singles 1942 -1999 with a cross reference into Pop stats as well.

franjoy56
05-19-2013, 09:57 PM
the problem with those numbers is that they don't tell the whole story. Your figures are correct, but the group was not the most popular - they needed a ig hit and didn't have one. You can't build a career on a top 7 and a record that was #10 for one week.
Wkipedia [[hardly a bible - but it IS a source)
the only girl group with any significant chart presence from the beginning of the British Invasion [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Invasion) through 1970 was The Supremes.[6] [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_group#cite_note-6)[7] [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_group#cite_note-7)
1970s to mid-1980s [edit [[http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Girl_group&action=edit&section=3)]

From 1971 through 1974 the only two hits purely by girl groups peaking in the top 10 were "Want Ads [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Want_Ads)" by Honey Cone [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_Cone) and "When Will I See You Again [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Will_I_See_You_Again)" by The Three Degrees [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Degrees)[8] [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_group#cite_note-8) [[which had roots in the 1960s). Patti LaBelle [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patti_LaBelle) and The Bluebelles [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labelle) was a US 1960s girl group whose image Vicki Wickham [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicki_Wickham), their manager, helped remake in the early 1970s, renaming the group Labelle [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labelle) and pushing them in the direction of glam rock [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glam_rock).[9] [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_group#cite_note-9) Labelle were the first girl group to eschew matching outfits and identical choreography, instead wearing extravagant spacesuits and feathered headdresses.[10] [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_group#cite_note-10)[11] [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_group#cite_note-11) Later, during the disco [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco) craze and beyond, female acts included Silver Convention [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Convention), Hot [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_[[vocal_group)), The Emotions [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emotions), High Inergy [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Inergy), Odyssey [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odyssey_[[band)), Sister Sledge [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Sledge), Belle Epoque [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Epoque_[[band)), Frantique [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frantique), Luv' [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luv%27) and Baccara [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baccara). Then other groups later took advantage of the disco backlash and brought girl bands into pop and pop rock from the late 1970s to the mid-1980s; among the most successful of these were Pointer Sisters [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointer_Sisters) [[continuing its string of hits from the 1970s), Weather Girls [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Girls), Mary Jane Girls [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jane_Girls), and Bananarama [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bananarama). The Bangles [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bangles) and The Go-Go's [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Go-Go%27s) each achieved success during this period but would be considered more as all-female bands [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-female_band), more indebted to 1960s garage rock [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garage_rock), 1970s punk [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punk_rock), folk, and 1960s psychedelia [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock).

JMC were not drawing well after '70 and were getting B and C gigs by '73. It wasn't a reflection on their talent, or lack of radio play. They just didn't have that essential smash to hang their hat on. Rather than admit they didn't catch on, some blame promotion, distribution or, insanely, a conspiracy that includes trying to kill the group, but still make it look like they were being supportive so they give them great records, top producers, lots of TV and a full concert schedule - while hoping they fail. ROTFLMAO

One or ttwo hits does not equate real popularity The Threee Degree had on big hit followed by a few mid chart hits, Labelle had one #1 hit followed by the same pattern, HoneyCone had three top twenty hits followed by a decline in their record company, The Pointer Sister are probably the best example of consistent hits and it is questionable whether their hits made them more popular than the 70's Supremes, what the group produced in 1970 alone 4 top 20-1 hits alone should have sustained them even with Stoned Love peaking in early 1971, good singles followed but what happened on the charts [[two more #16 records is another story but a far cry from what other did.

rod_rick
05-20-2013, 01:39 AM
How did it sound on the radio? The nucleus for a hit was there, it just needed fine tuning.

I can say that "He's My Man" was in the rotation of a few radio stations in Los Angeles that catered to R&B market. In fact I heard "He's My Man" more than "Let My Heart Do The Walking". The last single I heard of the radio before "He's My Man" was "Automatically Sunshine" didn't hear anything about Bad Weather or I Guess I'll Miss The at all until their Soul Train appearance.[/QUOTE]

I can say that "He's My Man" caught my attention on the radio and IMO the sound was current with a R&B feel to it

smark21
05-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Who cares in 2013 which female group was the most successful on the singles charts. The more relevant question for 2013 is which groups’ music and songs still hold up as good records and songs? ON that front, I certainly think the Frank Wilson produced recordings of JMC hold up very well indeed.

franjoy56
05-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Well said and agreed. Even the album tracks pop: "It's Time To Break Down" "The Loving Country" "Here Comes The Sunrise" "Now The Bitter Now The Sweet" "All I Want"/ All with Terrell streaking vocals upfront.

supremester
05-21-2013, 04:20 PM
The discussion was who was the most successful, I believe. My point is that, in spite of any chart action that may have occurred back in the day, The 70's Supremes are forgotten by the general public. There's little interest in their music - rarely is it in print except for collectors - not even a hits package. Normal people may know When Will i See You Again, Best of My Love, Lady Marmalade or Want Ads, but they do not know Up The Ladder or Stoned Love or any other JMC stuff. They don't know that Up The Ladder was the quintessential new Supremes record for Supremes fans. What could possibly have been more Supremes-ey? When music of the 70's - even girl group music of the 70's is discussed, The Supremes rarely if ever are mentioned. So much for the charts. They record that moment in time - not immortality.
Quality or how well it holds up? That's another topic. It's in the eye of the beholder. I love Side 1 of Right On so much that I can't be objective - ditto some of the subsequent albums. I think Lady Marmalade is "better" than those, I suppose, but I don't choose to play it. All in all, I still believe JMC needed a mega hit to survive their decade and didn't get it. Look what Ain't No Mountain did for Miss Ross. Thelma Houston has made a living off Dont Leave Me This Way. One mega hit, for practical purposes, beats all the JMC chart action. Ask Thelma.

smark21
05-21-2013, 08:05 PM
I just don’t get or understand how people can get so passionate about some topic like which act was the most popular female act 4 decades ago. It’s not as if all the runners up had their recordings destroyed. In this age, many of the songs can now be found on the net and enjoyed [[or hated, or met with indifference), both by those who remembered them when they first came out and people who happen to discover them.

However I would argue that Up the Ladder to the Roof is one of the Supremes better known songs, at least in certain circles. The song has become something of a standard amongst college glee vocal groups. The students in the clubs and their audiences may not know who originally recorded it, but they do hear the song and I’m sure some of the students will fondly recall, years from now, performing the song during their college years. That’s really how a song becomes a standard. It has to be more than a hit record, it has to be a song that’s handed down and played and performed from generation to generation. A song does not necessarily need to be a big hit to live on the culture for decades thereon after. There’s a book that came out earlier this year about the history of Leonard Cohen’s song “Hallejujah” which over the years has become a popular standard though its origins were hardly that of an out of the box #1 smash hit on the radio.

Roberta75
05-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Well said and agreed. Even the album tracks pop: "It's Time To Break Down" "The Loving Country" "Here Comes The Sunrise" "Now The Bitter Now The Sweet" "All I Want"/ All with Terrell streaking vocals upfront.

Its 2013 dear Frances. Isnt it time to move on?

Fondly

Roberta

Roberta75
05-21-2013, 10:54 PM
The discussion was who was the most successful, I believe. My point is that, in spite of any chart action that may have occurred back in the day, The 70's Supremes are forgotten by the general public. There's little interest in their music - rarely is it in print except for collectors - not even a hits package. Normal people may know When Will i See You Again, Best of My Love, Lady Marmalade or Want Ads, but they do not know Up The Ladder or Stoned Love or any other JMC stuff. They don't know that Up The Ladder was the quintessential new Supremes record for Supremes fans. What could possibly have been more Supremes-ey? When music of the 70's - even girl group music of the 70's is discussed, The Supremes rarely if ever are mentioned. So much for the charts. They record that moment in time - not immortality.
Quality or how well it holds up? That's another topic. It's in the eye of the beholder. I love Side 1 of Right On so much that I can't be objective - ditto some of the subsequent albums. I think Lady Marmalade is "better" than those, I suppose, but I don't choose to play it. All in all, I still believe JMC needed a mega hit to survive their decade and didn't get it. Look what Ain't No Mountain did for Miss Ross. Thelma Houston has made a living off Dont Leave Me This Way. One mega hit, for practical purposes, beats all the JMC chart action. Ask Thelma.

Its 2013 dear Supremester. Isnt it time to move on dear?

Roberta

franjoy56
05-21-2013, 11:23 PM
Its 2013 dear Frances. Isnt it time to move on?

Fondly

Roberta No it is not time to move on music is music, I play Beyonce's records, and I play the Supremes records 60 70's and Jean Terrell's music with the Supremes was extraordinary like smark said the records still hold up, so maybe its time for you to move on or put me on ignore.

franjoy56
05-21-2013, 11:27 PM
No it is not time to move on music is music, I play Beyonce's records, and I play the Supremes records 60 70's and Jean Terrell's music with the Supremes was extraordinary like smark said the records still hold up, so maybe its time for you to move on or put me on ignore.This cite is called Soulful Detroit and until they change the name the Supremes no matter and especially the 70's music of that group which was more soulful should always be a part of this board.

Roberta75
05-21-2013, 11:32 PM
No it is not time to move on music is music, I play Beyonce's records, and I play the Supremes records 60 70's and Jean Terrell's music with the Supremes was extraordinary like smark said the records still hold up, so maybe its time for you to move on or put me on ignore.

You tend to mourn Florence ballard on a daily basis and one minute you blame Motown for not pushing the 70 Supremes and how all they records should have been hits and then out of the other side of your mouth you go on about them being the most successfull group of the 1970s. I dont want to put you on ignore dear as i like you but Im real concerned that you may be depressed and still mourning a lady we all loved who went home to glory 37 years ago. Florence is with her Lord and savior Jesus Christ and is living free from pain and suffering in her Heavenly fathers mansion. Shes real happy Frances and wouldn't want us to miss or mourn her. Believe or not Frances but i do pray for you and wish you well dear.

Sincerely yours and with respect.

Roberta

franjoy56
05-22-2013, 12:04 AM
You tend to mourn Florence ballard on a daily basis and one minute you blame Motown for not pushing the 70 Supremes and how all they records should have been hits and then out of the other side of your mouth you go on about them being the most successfull group of the 1970s. I dont want to put you on ignore dear as i like you but Im real concerned that you may be depressed and still mourning a lady we all loved who went home to glory 37 years ago. Florence is with her Lord and savior Jesus Christ and is living free from pain and suffering in her Heavenly fathers mansion. Shes real happy Frances and wouldn't want us to miss or mourn her. Believe or not Frances but i do pray for you and wish you well dear.

Sincerely yours and with respect.Roberta Listen I don't know you we are not talking about Florence Ballard ok, we were talking about the 70's Supremes records and the album tracks that I love, I loved everything about the Supremes in the 60's and 70's, I am not depressed I have a new love life, so what you are saying is something I resent you saying I am depressed, again you do not know me so please do not assume anything about me period.

franjoy56
05-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Inspite of all the beatings EML received on this thread, I still stand by the fact that "Early Morning Love" is a fabulous record,and Mary does a funky job on it as the lead, and I would love to hear an outtake. .

jobeterob
05-22-2013, 01:29 AM
I enjoy the charts; they are an objective measure of success.

I like many 70's Supremes songs but not Early Morning Love. I prefer Wait A Minute Before You Leave Me, The Loving Country, Color My World Blue, You Can't Stop a Girl in Love.

I wish we could get a definitive list of who performed on all the Motown girl group, female singer recordings and not get hit with a whine that it is degrading Mary Wilson. It's just a set of facts about who sang on what records.

I don't believe Motown stopped promoting the Supremes at all. There were ads in all the trade papers for all the songs that flopped - Bad Weather, Touch and for the album that didn't chart - MSS.

The Supremes got old and the pop/r&b music world moved on. Fifteen years later, Diana Ross was old. And ten years after that Whitney Houston got old. When you get old in the music world, you can't pay to get a hit, even with excellent material.

supremester
05-22-2013, 02:45 AM
If this is in response to me, I didn't know Up The Ladder was a glee club fave, nor does it pertain to my point which is JMC did not survive their decade [[which was pertinent to the topic.) If, during glee club performance, 3 girls step out in slinky gowns and do the choreography or any choreography, like we see girls doing Lady Marmalade, I'll happily stand corrected. If Ladder becomes a standard I'm all for it. I wore my 45 out. It makes no difference to me. Certainly of almost any 70's group, I have more 45's by The Supremes than any other [[ I think) Gladys might beat them.... The topic became which girl group was the most successful in the 70's and I stated my opinion that charts don't tell the whole story and while JMC may have ruled chart wise at the time, their rule, IMO, is now over. Diana Ross was, from 6/80-10/82 at the peak of her solo career. She had 7 top 10 hits, 3 in the top 40 at the same time and spent 13 weeks at number 1. She is rarely mentioned in "big acts of the 80's" because she was eclipsed by others - many of which she outsold - even though a few of her records survived. I find what was popular at the time in any media, yet becomes eclipsed, interesting. I don't know why and I don't care why - I just do. I don't think I feel passionate about the subject, however. There are lots of topics here that might interest someone and not someone else. I won't find G. C. Cameron's hammertoe a topic of interest, but I don't have an opinion on those who do.
I just don’t get or understand how people can get so passionate about some topic like which act was the most popular female act 4 decades ago. It’s not as if all the runners up had their recordings destroyed. In this age, many of the songs can now be found on the net and enjoyed [[or hated, or met with indifference), both by those who remembered them when they first came out and people who happen to discover them.

However I would argue that Up the Ladder to the Roof is one of the Supremes better known songs, at least in certain circles. The song has become something of a standard amongst college glee vocal groups. The students in the clubs and their audiences may not know who originally recorded it, but they do hear the song and I’m sure some of the students will fondly recall, years from now, performing the song during their college years. That’s really how a song becomes a standard. It has to be more than a hit record, it has to be a song that’s handed down and played and performed from generation to generation. A song does not necessarily need to be a big hit to live on the culture for decades thereon after. There’s a book that came out earlier this year about the history of Leonard Cohen’s song “Hallejujah” which over the years has become a popular standard though its origins were hardly that of an out of the box #1 smash hit on the radio.

supremester
05-22-2013, 02:49 AM
Maybe that's why I can't find Puffa Puffa Rice*:mad:
Thank you, Rob!

*"new kind-a break-a-fast cereal.... him puff and toasted nice - him called Kellogg's Puffa Puffa Rice..."

Its 2013 dear Supremester. Isnt it time to move on dear?

Roberta

supremester
05-22-2013, 03:37 AM
Exactly, Frannie! On another forum, a bud was extolling the virtues of Ross' Let's Go Up - a song that I am, at best, mild about. This September, the 30th anniversary of it's release as a single will continue to baffle me. My bud, who signed on in '89, cannot understand how it didn't hit #1. I can't understand how it made the album. We enjoy the discourse and don't give a hair off Ross' nubian Divas wig what people think about our chat. If I'm stuck in the past, clinging to my faded youth or am 1 step from the snake pit - i don't care at all. Like Neely O'hara said when being told she was self-destructive, "SO WHAT???????? What do I do about it?" If it's good enough for Neely...........
Personally, I think EML is awful - so what? It's just what makes us happy. My Let's Go Up bud added insult to injury by selecting next, the bane of my existence, Cross My Heart. I love Miss Ross more than I loved Ricky nelson when I hit puberty, but still those two songs make me cringe. So, when I wonder why she even recorded them - I think of RP and Dustin who love both. To each his own. There are tons of Ross fans who signed on in the 70's and after that don't even listen to The Supremes stuff much - except the hits.
So keep on loving EML - SOMEONE has to! I don't like Endless Love, I mean at all, but I do love Sorry Doesn't Always make it Right. BFD - it's what we like, or, as Berry Gordy wrote on his namesake lable, the grammatically incorrect: it's what's in the grooves that counts.

Inspite of all the beatings EML received on this thread, I still stand by the fact that "Early Morning Love" is a fabulous record,and Mary does a funky job on it as the lead, and I would love to hear an outtake. .

marv2
05-22-2013, 07:33 AM

I agree Fran. Early Morning Love was funky with great lyrics and Mary just simply threw down........Detroit style on it ! LOL! It sounded perfectly current for 1975. The should remix it.

marv2
05-22-2013, 07:44 AM

Sincerely yours and with respect.

Roberta

People still talk about and mourn John Lennon, Elvis Presley, the Beatles etc for example. We can and will do the same for Florence Ballard.

Whatever successes the Supremes experienced in the 70's were in spite of Motown, not because of them. I'd give most of the credit to their fan base, because Motown was not going out of their way to promote them after Diane left.

marv2
05-22-2013, 08:17 AM
According to the charts, the Supremes were the most successful female group of the 1970's.

Roberta75
05-22-2013, 09:18 AM
I am not depressed I have a new love life

Then I stand corrected and I humbly apologize and and ask you to forgive me dear Frances. im thrilled you have love and joy and happiness in your life dear. Cherish every moment Frances and dance and smile and love and laugh for you deserve this new love that God has blessed you with.

Respectfully yours.

Roberta

thanxal
05-22-2013, 05:19 PM
I could not agree more. I love EML and Mary did a flat out fantastic job.

kenneth
05-22-2013, 05:55 PM
I could not agree more. I love EML and Mary did a flat out fantastic job.

And I still think the best line is when she wails, "Touch my shoulder...turn me over!"

marv2
05-22-2013, 06:53 PM
And I still think the best line is when she wails, "Touch my shoulder...turn me over!"

Yep, knowing it is the "sexy one" singing it too! LOL!

smark21
05-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Actually the college glee/acapella groups don’t do Up the Ladder with just 3 girls in slinky gowns. Here’s a performance from Dartmouth acapella group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tRDbAvGweY

If this is in response to me, I didn't know Up The Ladder was a glee club fave, nor does it pertain to my point which is JMC did not survive their decade [[which was pertinent to the topic.) If, during glee club performance, 3 girls step out in slinky gowns and do the choreography or any choreography, like we see girls doing Lady Marmalade, I'll happily stand corrected. If Ladder becomes a standard I'm all for it. I wore my 45 out. It makes no difference to me. Certainly of almost any 70's group, I have more 45's by The Supremes than any other [[ I think) Gladys might beat them.... The topic became which girl group was the most successful in the 70's and I stated my opinion that charts don't tell the whole story and while JMC may have ruled chart wise at the time, their rule, IMO, is now over. Diana Ross was, from 6/80-10/82 at the peak of her solo career. She had 7 top 10 hits, 3 in the top 40 at the same time and spent 13 weeks at number 1. She is rarely mentioned in "big acts of the 80's" because she was eclipsed by others - many of which she outsold - even though a few of her records survived. I find what was popular at the time in any media, yet becomes eclipsed, interesting. I don't know why and I don't care why - I just do. I don't think I feel passionate about the subject, however. There are lots of topics here that might interest someone and not someone else. I won't find G. C. Cameron's hammertoe a topic of interest, but I don't have an opinion on those who do.

franjoy56
05-22-2013, 10:21 PM
I could not agree more. I love EML and Mary did a flat out fantastic job.and what makes EML extra special in addition to Mary's lead is the bkgrnd vocals of Scherrie and Cindy I love their double soprano blend, i was speechless when I heard the first two tracks on the album, I knew Mary had the ballad voice on Where is it I belong, and then I got introduced to Scherries lead voice when "It's All Been Said Before' wheeled in and then and amazing gospel whale
in "This Is Why I believe in you" that side 1 was off the hook, then we got a Scherrie Payne ultra treat on side 2. and then the let down it 'The Supremes" peaked at 152.