PDA

View Full Version : Supremes icon Mary Wilson stars in Lena Horne tribute at Douglass Theatre!

test

marv2
05-04-2013, 08:15 PM
http://www.macon.com/2013/05/03/2463977/supremes-icon-mary-wilson-stars.html

One music icon will honor another Sunday evening, when the legendary Mary Wilson takes the stage in “Stormy Weather: The Lena Horne Project” at the Douglass Theatre.

“Stormy Weather” is a behind-the-scenes look at Horne, one of Hollywood’s first black stars, who reigned at MGM’s “Dream Factory” of movie musicals before becoming a famed nightclub performer.

“The Douglass is happy to present this performance that includes American music icon Mary Wilson of the legendary Motown group the Supremes,” said Gina Ward, Douglas Theatre director. “This show depicting another musical legend, Lena Horne, should be just fabulous.”

This performance is based on the book “Stormy Weather: The Life of Lena Horne” by New York Times contributor James Gavin, who narrates the performance.

“A delightful fusion of storytelling author, famous songstress, gifted musicians and rare film footage, ‘Stormy Weather’ is not a standard tribute, it does not include any songs recorded by the Supremes, and Mary Wilson does not impersonate Lena Horne,” according to a news release.

Some classic Horne songs included in the theatrical experience are “Stormy Weather,” “A Lady Must Live” and “It’s All Right with Me.”

-- Staff report

“Stormy Weather: The Lena Horne Project”

When: 5 p.m. Sunday

Where: Douglass Theatre, 355 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Cost: $20 in advance, $25 at the door

Information: 742-2000

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2013/05/03/2463977/supremes-icon-mary-wilson-stars.html#storylink=cpy

luke
05-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Mary sure is all over--Lena, Up Close; concerts; lectures; charities...!! Her star keeps growing!

marv2
05-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Mary sure is all over--Lena, Up Close; concerts; lectures; charities...!! Her star keeps growing!

She sure is. She is known by some as the hardest working woman in Show Biz..........!

stalebagel
05-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks for posting this Marv.
Mary looks -- and sounds -- great.

marv2
05-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Thanks for posting this Marv.
Mary looks -- and sounds -- great.

You are very welcome Al. I owe you a call.

RossHolloway
05-06-2013, 10:43 AM
If I had known Mary Wilson was going to be in Macon, I would have driven down from Atlanta.

Ryon6
05-06-2013, 09:51 PM
I went to the performance last night, drove from the ATL to Macon and I had a wonderful time. It was a great performance and Mary was sensational. Her sister Cathy was in attendance as well. I believe the show is coming to an end. Mary did come out and sign autographs and took some pictures. Though the crowd was small, the audience seemed to really enjoy the show. I spoke with Mary for a few moments as she signed my booklets of MTS, WDOLG, MHBTS,ATC, IHAS TAPFU and Walk the Line. I also told her that I will see her on July 20 at the Fredrick Brown Amphitheater.

Love me some Mary Wilson and love me some Supremes [[all of them).

Touch,
Tyrone