PDA

View Full Version : Never Leave Your Baby's Side

test

BayouMotownMan
05-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Of course I got the defective disk on Martha's 50th. Can anyone tell me if the version of this song is the same as on TCMS or is it a different mix?

midnight johnny
05-04-2013, 05:28 PM
The version for the Vandellas 50th was going to be, again, an incorrect mix...like the Motown singles and "Livewire" versions. The version that had been released was obviously missing some instrumentation, but nobody seemed to realize it. I was in the right place at the right time, and pointed it out to Harry. He researched it and found the correct and real 45rpm mix..never released before.

BayouMotownMan
05-04-2013, 05:31 PM
I sure wish I could get that replacement CD. Requested it two wks ago

sophisticated_soul
05-04-2013, 05:41 PM
I sure wish I could get that replacement CD. Requested it two wks ago

I checked and as of May 2nd, they hadn't gone out yet. May take a bit, but they haven't forgotten.

Kamasu_Jr
05-04-2013, 07:42 PM
I sure wish I could get that replacement CD. Requested it two wks ago Like you, I also got a MR&TV set with the clipped intro to Never Leave. ...It was a hassle getting the set period, which already pissed me off - so I'm leery about requesting replacement disc as well although some forum members have assured me that the problem can be taken care of. But I see that you have not received a replacement disc. I'm just shaking my head.

kenneth
05-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Like you, I also got a MR&TV set with the clipped intro to Never Leave. ...It was a hassle getting the set period, which already pissed me off - so I'm leery about requesting replacement disc as well although some forum members have assured me that the problem can be taken care of. But I see that you have not received a replacement disc. I'm just shaking my head.

I haven't received mine yet either but I know we'll get them. Come on guy, give our friends at Hip-O a break. They've done great things including this set. It may take some time, but I know they'll make good on the replacement disk. Why should it matter if we have to wait a bit?

Kamasu_Jr
05-04-2013, 08:31 PM
I guess it does take time to get replacement discs manufactured. But I know some fans are inpatient and demand perfection. I'm on the fence. It's really no big deal once I heard it , but I it was a hassle just getting the set, period. I don't wanna go into the details but I spent more this time around than I intended. And to me, it's just the principle of the SITUATION.

hwume
05-04-2013, 08:59 PM
I will have the replacements discs after this weekend and, for those who have emailed me, I plan to ship them out via UPS on Wednesday.

Again, the email address is classicmotown@umusic.com.

Kamasu_Jr
05-04-2013, 09:23 PM
My computer says my email was undelivered. Is this the correct email address?

carole cucumber
05-04-2013, 10:51 PM
My computer says my email was undelivered. Is this the correct email address?

Should read:
classic.motown@umusic.com

Isn't it amazing what a small missing punctuation mark can do?.

soulster
05-05-2013, 12:25 AM
The version for the Vandellas 50th was going to be, again, an incorrect mix...like the Motown singles and "Livewire" versions. The version that had been released was obviously missing some instrumentation, but nobody seemed to realize it. I was in the right place at the right time, and pointed it out to Harry. He researched it and found the correct and real 45rpm mix..never released before.
You mean to say the mono version I have of the song on the "Live Wire: The Singles 1962-1972" is not the true mono 45 version? The set was mastered by Bill Inglot back in the early 90s as part of the Motown master series.

Here [[http://db.tt/oQKqcCPA) is a sample of what I have on CD. It is a sample, meaning I could not post the entire song because of copyright restrictions. http://db.tt/oQKqcCPA

midnight johnny
05-05-2013, 12:44 AM
You mean to say the mono version I have of the song on the "Live Wire: The Singles 1962-1972" is not the true mono 45 version? The set was mastered by Bill Inglot back in the early 90s as part of the Motown master series.

Here [[http://db.tt/oQKqcCPA) is a sample of what I have on CD. It is a sample, meaning I could not post the entire song because of copyright restrictions. http://db.tt/oQKqcCPA

Nope...it's not the true 45 rpm mix....here is the original [[although my extended version of the original 45

http://youtu.be/ardBjrGO1dk

soulster
05-05-2013, 01:20 AM
Nope...it's not the true 45 rpm mix....here is the original [[although my extended version of the original 45

http://youtu.be/ardBjrGO1dk Are you certain there wasn't more than one mono mix released on 45? The one I posted is closer to what I remember hearing as a kid.

I am not a fan extended mixes, but, thanks.

hwume
05-05-2013, 01:28 AM
All of the 45s of this track I have ever seen, and the label copy, display a specific DM [["duplicate master") number. Although this DM tape was used for Live Wire and TCMS, it actually does not match the 45 release. The corrected version from the 50th Anniversary Vandellas singles set does match the 45.

dickiemint
05-05-2013, 04:33 AM
hi Harry
Do you know if the UK release of this set will have the same glitches as the US version, if so can you remind us of the faults that we should be listening for please.
Also with the lost and found tracks on this set. is that all the unreleased MR&V tracks or have you got any more in the vaults ?
Regards Dickiemint

soulster
05-05-2013, 04:46 AM
All of the 45s of this track I have ever seen, and the label copy, display a specific DM [["duplicate master") number. Although this DM tape was used for Live Wire and TCMS, it actually does not match the 45 release. The corrected version from the 50th Anniversary Vandellas singles set does match the 45. Thank you Harry. My memory is fallible. I guess someone goofed. I never got that particular volume of TCMS, either. I'll have to get it one of these days.

midnight johnny
05-05-2013, 05:01 AM
Are you certain there wasn't more than one mono mix released on 45? The one I posted is closer to what I remember hearing as a kid.

I am not a fan extended mixes, but, thanks.

I only posted that for you to hear the original 45 mix, since that was the one I used to create the extended one.

soulster
05-05-2013, 10:18 AM
I only posted that for you to hear the original 45 mix, since that was the one I used to create the extended one.
Yeah, I know, and thanks! It helped. But, for me, even the extension throws off the mix.

BayouMotownMan
05-06-2013, 04:29 PM
The mix used on Live Wire had the percussion all but mixed out. I'm anxious to hear the correct mix on this CD. All I wanted to know was if it was the same mix used on Live Wire and TCMS, I could have created the replacement disk myself [[for me).

soulster
05-07-2013, 12:01 AM
The mix used on Live Wire had the percussion all but mixed out. I'm anxious to hear the correct mix on this CD. All I wanted to know was if it was the same mix used on Live Wire and TCMS, I could have created the replacement disk myself [[for me). You're right. It sounds like there was a phase issue when the mix was done.

lakedistrictlad1
05-07-2013, 04:25 AM
Bumping this up to repeat Dickiemint's question.

Now the set has been issued in the U.K - I'm holding back on buying it until the track glitch is sorted.
But does Harry know if the first batch is defective and if so, when will the updated sets be filtering over the pond?

144man
05-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Does anyone know which version the British single has?

theboyfromxtown
05-08-2013, 09:01 AM
They are now arriving through letter boxes. Mine arrived today

Calv1971
05-08-2013, 05:44 PM
My copy also arrived today, with the faulty "Never leave your babys side", great to have the proper version on cd at last, although l think it still sounds at its best on vinyl!
Loved disc 3, at this moment "Remember me" and "Light my fire" are my favourites, nice to have a little studio chatter as well.

justanothermotownfan
05-10-2013, 12:41 AM
@Midnight Johnny - that's a helluva mix! Hard to believe the original song didn't do better on the charts.

midnight johnny
05-10-2013, 07:34 AM
juatanothermotownfan....thanks...I really appreciate it!
John

Kamasu_Jr
05-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Has anyone received their corrected replacement discs?

justanothermotownfan
05-12-2013, 01:27 PM
i haven't yet.

MotownLover
05-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Neither have I.

sophisticated_soul
05-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Nor have I.

Motown Eddie
05-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Has anyone received their corrected replacement discs?

I received mine today. Thanks to Harry W. and all at UMG.

Kamasu_Jr
05-14-2013, 06:20 PM
I did receive my replacement disc today. Thanks Harry.

supremester
05-15-2013, 02:02 AM
JOHNNY!

My bff motown bud and i have been gnawing on this thread for hours. he heard this song on KATZ in 1966 and was LIVID when it wasn't on Watchout! He has been crabbing about it for years - literally decades. Now, finally, YOUR BRILLIANT EXTENDED mix not only gives us the full intended sound, but, and we both agree strongly on this - your version of the song [[minus one add'l extension: her mistaken early return after the break) would have been an ideal 1966 single. The intro is sublime. Those 30 seconds would have taken it to the top ten. Thank you for improving a track that almost no one knows or cares about. We've been gassing on this for hours. Do you know if there are other lead vocal takes? Martha is flat in spots and there is that one other mistake that make me wonder why they chose this if there were others.

My Best Always,

Gregg

supremester
05-15-2013, 02:13 AM
Dear Harry -

THANK YOU for caring enough to correct this. I know it is an expense and hassle - but please know it's very, very appreciated. Martha's 50th set is much better than we had a right to expect - congrats! I but a lot of your products and love them all. Of course, if you should ever get around to releasing any more of Miss Ross' products, I'd be buying more. She's doing a rumored 70 dates this year with 50 already inked - all to help sell your product! Keep up the good work!

Gregg

sophisticated_soul
05-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Received my replacement disc today. Thank you Harry!! You're the best!!!!:)

kenneth
05-17-2013, 09:13 PM
I got my disk today, packed very carefully and in its own jewel case. Thanks so much, Harry! I'll keep the old disk at the office so I can entertain the staff with Martha and the Vandellas!

thommg
05-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Just got back from a business trip to Toronto and found my replacement disc waiting for me. I wouldn't have known there was anything wrong but I really do love the extended intro to the song.

Thank you, Harry, for taking care of this replacement. It always makes me happy to see a disc that has your credit on it. I know it will be a quality project that you stand behind.

Thom

midnight johnny
05-18-2013, 08:59 AM
JOHNNY!

My bff motown bud and i have been gnawing on this thread for hours. he heard this song on KATZ in 1966 and was LIVID when it wasn't on Watchout! He has been crabbing about it for years - literally decades. Now, finally, YOUR BRILLIANT EXTENDED mix not only gives us the full intended sound, but, and we both agree strongly on this - your version of the song [[minus one add'l extension: her mistaken early return after the break) would have been an ideal 1966 single. The intro is sublime. Those 30 seconds would have taken it to the top ten. Thank you for improving a track that almost no one knows or cares about. We've been gassing on this for hours. Do you know if there are other lead vocal takes? Martha is flat in spots and there is that one other mistake that make me wonder why they chose this if there were others.

My Best Always,

Gregg

Gregg...well, first...I thank you for your really kind compliments about the remix. Your post is truely the first comments I've heard that show the same kind of interest in "NLYBS"
as I have. I've always love the song more than most of the Vandellas tracks. The energy is amazing, and the Vandellas and Funk Brothers performances are so raw and immediate, and almost "informal". The informality of the vocal, at times, is like casual conversation, where Martha leaves the melody line, bends some notes, etc. As you said she's flat on a few notes, I have heard others say the same. But I really don't hear any notes as flat...just sort of...well, BENT [[*smile). I was always disappointed when the song would appear more recently on a compilation, and it would be that stark, empty mix that was obviously missing some background that was so amazing on the 45 rpm.
I have only heard one vocal take, that was used in for both mixes. But I think Harry might have more to say about it. And just a note about the remix...NEVER to try to make it better...just to lengthen the songs that were made JUST TOO SHORT. And "NLYBS"?
2:06 min? JEEEEEEEEEEZ! Way too short!
Thanks so much Gregg!!!
John

MotownLover
05-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Thank you, Harry, for taking care of this replacement. It always makes me happy to see a disc that has your credit on it. I know it will be a quality project that you stand behind.

Thom

I totally agree with you Thom. Got mine yesterday and played it immediately to ascertain exactly what the difference was between the two discs. Thanks so very much Harry!

Howard in Long Beach, CA

TheMotownManiac
05-18-2013, 03:53 PM
John - crazy as this sounds, There's a "button" inside me that sends me joy when I hear music, like NLYBS, that I really love. Motown pushes it more than all other sounds combined. As a kid, I signed on at Baby Love and just naturally assumed all Supremes records would be on the radio every two hours forever. When Some Things You Never Get Used To failed, I panicked. What if..........the unthinkable happened? So, after that, at the age of 13, every new song I heard went through my own quality control to ascertain hit potential - then I could lay back and wallow in it. NLYBS went through that process that I have no control over, so when I hear a "bent" note or other mistake, if it hurts it's radio viability, my mind issues a change order. LOL. I don't mind most mistakes and often enjoy them. That one note on NLYBS is a bit cringy, tho. Your mix, to Mike and I, IS an improvement in the QC part of my brain because it would have made it radio friendly - I know it would have grabbed an audience and given them another hit. It's everything I want from a Vandellas record and your assessment of it is amazingly close to mine. I mentioned to Mike she reads the verse as if she had a cup of coffee in her hand and was leaning her elbow on the kitchen table - yet perfectly brings it up a notch for the chorus. I'm very, very happy with The 50th Anniversary set and encourage fans interested to really consider it.
Gregg...well, first...I thank you for your really kind compliments about the remix. Your post is truely the first comments I've heard that show the same kind of interest in "NLYBS"
as I have. I've always love the song more than most of the Vandellas tracks. The energy is amazing, and the Vandellas and Funk Brothers performances are so raw and immediate, and almost "informal". The informality of the vocal, at times, is like casual conversation, where Martha leaves the melody line, bends some notes, etc. As you said she's flat on a few notes, I have heard others say the same. But I really don't hear any notes as flat...just sort of...well, BENT [[*smile). I was always disappointed when the song would appear more recently on a compilation, and it would be that stark, empty mix that was obviously missing some background that was so amazing on the 45 rpm.
I have only heard one vocal take, that was used in for both mixes. But I think Harry might have more to say about it. And just a note about the remix...NEVER to try to make it better...just to lengthen the songs that were made JUST TOO SHORT. And "NLYBS"?
2:06 min? JEEEEEEEEEEZ! Way too short!
Thanks so much Gregg!!!
John

BayouMotownMan
05-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Where is Martha flat on this song?

The only recordings where I hear Martha messing up is when her voice cracks on the beginning of Quicksand and about halfway through Can't Break The Habit.

midnight johnny
05-18-2013, 04:48 PM
John - crazy as this sounds, There's a "button" inside me that sends me joy when I hear music, like NLYBS, that I really love. Motown pushes it more than all other sounds combined. As a kid, I signed on at Baby Love and just naturally assumed all Supremes records would be on the radio every two hours forever. When Some Things You Never Get Used To failed, I panicked. What if..........the unthinkable happened? So, after that, at the age of 13, every new song I heard went through my own quality control to ascertain hit potential - then I could lay back and wallow in it. NLYBS went through that process that I have no control over, so when I hear a "bent" note or other mistake, if it hurts it's radio viability, my mind issues a change order. LOL. I don't mind most mistakes and often enjoy them. That one note on NLYBS is a bit cringy, tho. Your mix, to Mike and I, IS an improvement in the QC part of my brain because it would have made it radio friendly - I know it would have grabbed an audience and given them another hit. It's everything I want from a Vandellas record and your assessment of it is amazingly close to mine. I mentioned to Mike she reads the verse as if she had a cup of coffee in her hand and was leaning her elbow on the kitchen table - yet perfectly brings it up a notch for the chorus. I'm very, very happy with The 50th Anniversary set and encourage fans interested to really consider it.

TMM....[[I didn't want to call you Maniac in public {smile}...
That "button" you mention doesn't sound crazy at all....I have one too...and Motown hits the spot more than most sounds like you [[except for possibly Invictus/Hot Wax and Philly Soul). I got the Motown bug around the time of "Lovelight" [[never liked "Baby Love"....too girly for me [grin]). Now I never did the kind of thinking that you did around the assuming the if the sound was right, the song would play often on the radio [[continuing to give that blissful motown FIX)...and it's interesting how you put that together. When "Some Things You Never Get Used To" came along...I knew it was different...and it gave me my bliss...but so much disappointment when it didn't do so well. And I still can't understand why a majority of folks don't like it.
Anyway...thank you for the kind words about the remix. I like your visual of Martha having a cup of coffee at the kitchen table...pronouncing advice about never leaving your baby's side... but I see one more thing...her finger waving in the air during the choruses.
Nice chatting with you....
John

Kamasu_Jr
05-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Where is Martha flat on this song?

The only recordings where I hear Martha messing up is when her voice cracks on the beginning of Quicksand and about halfway through Can't Break The Habit.I wondered that too. I don't hear it. Where is she flat?