PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Oct 12, 9P-12M ET: A "Nightflight" Celebration of.................

test

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 03:52 PM

Tonight...on "Nightflight"! We are celebrating, in Provincetown, WOMEN'S Week. So I thought that I would play 3 hours of the great female singers of the past 80 years...and this includes our great Motown Ladies. I'm going to try to play one song per songstress...so that will be quite a few different, remarkable female artists. So...join me tonight....your bound to hear someone you like! On "Nightflight" tonight....on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown/WFMR 91.3 Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org)

Thanks!
John

JimBagley
10-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Looking forward to one track each of Mama Cass [[Make Your Own Kind Of Music?), Barbara Lewis [[Thankful For What I've Got?), and Hone Cone [[Sittin' On A Timebomb...?). And please, no Laura Nyro unless you provide a head's up. Fred the wonder dog will be listening.

Thanks,
Jim

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Now, Jim....you KNOW I must play at least one Laura track....but it will be a non-screaching one.

lovechild
10-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Cool sounds like a fun show JP! I hope to be here on time this week.

positivesoul
10-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Johnny... great theme. I will be taping tonite. Probably get a chance to listen to portions live. This mite seem a strange request from me, but the Bangles' Eternal Flame is a quiet emotional firestorm to me. Of course that's a request only if you have it available. I'm sure our usual favorites will be included... that's a GOOD thing.

Maybe a rarer, but still recognized gem from Gladys would be great. Nina Simone has several great selections to choose from including the soulful "I Put A Spell On You". Ditto for Dionne. Can't forget the Motor City's Martha & her ladies! Valerie Simpson offers great solo selections from her Motown days including her hit "Silly Wasn't I". Another hard to find deeply emotional selection is the Marvelettes' "Tie A String Around Your Finger". Another surprisingly [[to many) soulful performance is Patsy Cline's "Crazy", "I Fall To Pieces" and actually many choices by her.

Okay, I guess that better be enough suggestions, cause the more I type, the more keep coming to mind! PS... I FOUND that lost item today! I knew it was somewhere safe lol. Have another great show.

sophisticated_soul
10-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Three hours of female vocalists! Music heaven! You know how much I love my girls, John! One each of Ella, Billie, Sarah, Rosemary, Judy, Dinah, LaVerne, Etta, Peggy, Julie, Brenda, Lesley, Connie, Aretha, Dusty, Diana, Nina, Tina, Carly, Carole, Laura, Dolly, Patsy, Kitty, Tammy, Janis, Gladys, Donna, Whitney, Cyndi, Cher, Brenda, Kim, Mary, Tammi, Valerie, Carla, Patti, Lena, Eartha. . .and on and on and get with the gettin'! Great idea John! Looking forward to The Girls, here. Here on WOMR streaming live, worldwide in digital stereo!

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Cool sounds like a fun show JP! I hope to be here on time this week.

Hey Tone! See ya later!

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Johnny... great theme. I will be taping tonite. Probably get a chance to listen to portions live. This mite seem a strange request from me, but the Bangles' Eternal Flame is a quiet emotional firestorm to me. Of course that's a request only if you have it available. I'm sure our usual favorites will be included... that's a GOOD thing.

Maybe a rarer, but still recognized gem from Gladys would be great. Nina Simone has several great selections to choose from including the soulful "I Put A Spell On You". Ditto for Dionne. Can't forget the Motor City's Martha & her ladies! Valerie Simpson offers great solo selections from her Motown days including her hit "Silly Wasn't I". Another hard to find deeply emotional selection is the Marvelettes' "Tie A String Around Your Finger". Another surprisingly [[to many) soulful performance is Patsy Cline's "Crazy", "I Fall To Pieces" and actually many choices by her.

Okay, I guess that better be enough suggestions, cause the more I type, the more keep coming to mind! PS... I FOUND that lost item today! I knew it was somewhere safe lol. Have another great show.

Positivesoul....you'll be missed...hope you enjoy the playback...and thanks for the suggestions....

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Three hours of female vocalists! Music heaven! You know how much I love my girls, John! One each of Ella, Billie, Sarah, Rosemary, Judy, Dinah, LaVerne, Etta, Peggy, Julie, Brenda, Lesley, Connie, Aretha, Dusty, Diana, Nina, Tina, Carly, Carole, Laura, Dolly, Patsy, Kitty, Tammy, Janis, Gladys, Donna, Whitney, Cyndi, Cher, Brenda, Kim, Mary, Tammi, Valerie, Carla, Patti, Lena, Eartha. . .and on and on and get with the gettin'! Great idea John! Looking forward to The Girls, here. Here on WOMR streaming live, worldwide in digital stereo!

Joseph.....all such great ladies....I LOVE that you reminded me to play something by Donna Loren [[*wink)!

sophisticated_soul
10-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Joseph.....all such great ladies....I LOVE that you reminded me to play something by Donna Loren [[*wink)!

Who else could I have been possibly thinking of when I said Donna!? lol

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....I love the ideas...sugestions. It never occurred to me that I would open up such a Pandora's box of possibilities! Oyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy......

MotownSteve
10-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Hi John,
Sounds like a good show. I'll be listening.

sophisticated_soul
10-12-2010, 07:29 PM
I did use my copy of the Rhino 5CD box set "Respect: A Century Of Women In Music" as a reference:-)

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Hi John,
Sounds like a good show. I'll be listening.

Great, MotownSteve!

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I did use my copy of the Rhino 5CD box set "Respect: A Century Of Women In Music" as a reference:-)

Oh my GOD! Sabotage!!!

sophisticated_soul
10-12-2010, 07:50 PM
It's not sabotage, it's 'sabatoogee" - if you like The Three Stooges, and I do. Curly is my favorite and he was fond of using that word.

jobeterob
10-12-2010, 07:58 PM
I gotta work tonight and have been having trouble with Itunes so I haven't been able to tune in.

Play Dream A Little Dream of Me by Cass and Til I Get it Right by Tammy Wynette.

So, what's happening with all the swearing and craziness on the Forum? It's making us insane regulars sound normal.

I'm reading Tammy Wynette's biography and it is interesting to hear them talk about Bessemer, Alabama and tell how Tammy got the name Tammy [[ second husband got it from Debby Reynolds and the Tammy movie or movies; her real name was Wynette Pugh). Thirdly, they talk about the funeral of her first husband; Tammy was not on good terms with the family. She attended the funeral anyway; swept in down the aisle; the place went totally quiet and you could hear a pin drop; and she went right to the front to be with the "family".

Haven't we heard all this before?

Anyway, have a good night and catch you soon if I can hook up again.

JimBagley
10-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Donna Loren's "It Only Hurts When I Cry": One of my all-time favorite recordings.

My favorite Tammy Wynette tracks are "Til I Can Make It On My Own" and "Crying In The Rain."

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I gotta work tonight and have been having trouble with Itunes so I haven't been able to tune in.

Play Dream A Little Dream of Me by Cass and Til I Get it Right by Tammy Wynette.

So, what's happening with all the swearing and craziness on the Forum? It's making us insane regulars sound normal.

I'm reading Tammy Wynette's biography and it is interesting to hear them talk about Bessemer, Alabama and tell how Tammy got the name Tammy [[ second husband got it from Debby Reynolds and the Tammy movie or movies; her real name was Wynette Pugh). Thirdly, they talk about the funeral of her first husband; Tammy was not on good terms with the family. She attended the funeral anyway; swept in down the aisle; the place went totally quiet and you could hear a pin drop; and she went right to the front to be with the "family".

Haven't we heard all this before?

Anyway, have a good night and catch you soon if I can hook up again.

Thanks, Rob....come back soon!

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Donna Loren's "It Only Hurts When I Cry": One of my all-time favorite recordings.

My favorite Tammy Wynette tracks are "Til I Can Make It On My Own" and "Crying In The Rain."

Hey there, Jim!

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Hello again, guys....in the studio...

MotownSteve
10-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi John,
Going to sit back, listen, and relax.
Motown Steve

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Sounds perfect, Motown Steve.....

JimBagley
10-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Jackie Ross, take me away.

sophisticated_soul
10-12-2010, 09:21 PM
"I Don't Want To Hear It Anymore" a song that I always want to hear! Thanks Johnny.

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Glad you are liking them guys.....me too...

MotownSteve
10-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Hey John,
Any chance for Jackie Trent and/or Sandie Shaw?

lovechild
10-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Wow SD finally let me log in lol

Great show so far JP!

sophisticated_soul
10-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Glald you got in Tone! I was just going to let the folks know you were having trouble getting in! You can't keep a good man down [[or out):-)

lovechild
10-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks Soph you know I had to keep on trying until it happened. actually I think it was a ploy by you and the admin. to keep me on the phone and let the 15 mins go by without trying to log in again too soon. lol just playing my friend :)

lovechild
10-12-2010, 10:02 PM
OMG Thank you sooo much for choosing this TINA track JP.
I love it!

sophisticated_soul
10-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Busted! You're on to us! LOL!

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Tonyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.....welcome!

positivesoul
10-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Great to be here... and great beginning!!!

lovechild
10-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Thank you Johhhhhhhhhnnnnnn.....

positivesoul
10-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Speaking of Lulu, Oh Me Oh My is my favorite, tho "If I Were You" and "To Sir..." are tied closely behind at #2! Gotta mention Dinah & Aretha. Of course it's Old News that Tammi's my all-time favorite tho I enjoy SOOOOOoo many great ones.

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 10:13 PM
ps.....positively great to see you!

sophisticated_soul
10-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Janis! Takes me back to my longhair and bell bottoms. Janis was something else, I feel fortunate to have seen her perform live [[three times).

JimBagley
10-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Thank you for my hometown girl Brenda and her Tabulations.

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Thank you for my hometown girl Brenda and her Tabulations.

You're welcome!

sophisticated_soul
10-12-2010, 10:22 PM
"One Girl Too Late" a fabulous song I some how missed the first time around and discovered many years later on Nightflight! What a find! Thanks John.

JimBagley
10-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Tabulations may come and go, but you will never go wrong with Brenda Payton.

Thanks for not saying the A-word [[Anita) out loud.

JimBagley
10-12-2010, 10:26 PM
How about equal time for "the Dr Pepper girl" Donna Loren and her "It Only Hurts When I Cry?"

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 10:34 PM
How about equal time for "the Dr Pepper girl" Donna Loren and her "It Only Hurts When I Cry?"

Okee Dokey!

lovechild
10-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Awesome choice from DIONNE

JimBagley
10-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks Johnny. Classic song from a classic film.

JimBagley
10-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Donna Loren for Laura Nyro? Fair tradeoff. Thanks. And Fred is tucked away.

lovechild
10-12-2010, 10:44 PM
aww poor Fred

JimBagley
10-12-2010, 10:47 PM
No worries. Fred is back!

positivesoul
10-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Wow, loved the extended ending on Tammi!

MotownSteve
10-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the great Royalettes cut.

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Wow, loved the extended ending on Tammi!

Isn't it amazing!!!!!!!

sophisticated_soul
10-12-2010, 10:56 PM
"That's How It is" previously released in mono, is literally twice as wonderful in stereo. Several more of her solos appear in stereo for the first time as well. Some of her other solos appear only in mono. I remember Harry saying something in your interview with him about that. That the way they were recorded didn't allow for conversion to stereo. And that includes "All I Do".

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the great Royalettes cut.

You're welcome!

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 11:02 PM
"That's How It is" previously released in mono, is literally twice as wonderful in stereo. Several more of her solos appear in stereo for the first time as well. Some of her other solos appear only in mono. I remember Harry saying something in your interview with him about that. That the way they were recorded didn't allow for conversion to stereo. And that includes "All I Do".

When Harry told us that...I felt a slight pain in my heart...

MotownSteve
10-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Wow. Haven't heard this in years. Home is Where the Hatred is. Kind of similar to The Bottle.

sophisticated_soul
10-12-2010, 11:28 PM
When Harry told us that...I felt a slight pain in my heart...

Me too! LOL!

lovechild
10-12-2010, 11:29 PM
I was hoping the Valerie track would be Silly Wasn't I.
Thank you John!

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 11:35 PM
you're very welcome, Tone....

lovechild
10-12-2010, 11:42 PM
sounds so good to hear Mama Cass

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Guys/friends...thanks so much. Remember...Harry Weinger next week. Have a great week!!!!!

lovechild
10-12-2010, 11:47 PM
wow I was sweating it out ... thought you were gonna forget Karen lol

Awesome show tonight Johnny!!! Bravo! Have a good week.

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 11:49 PM
wow I was sweating it out ... thought you were gonna forget Karen lol

Awesome show tonight Johnny!!! Bravo! Have a good week.

I couldn't forget her Tone...you know that...I even didn't play Jean Terrell so I could play Karen....

Thanks!!!!!!

MotownSteve
10-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Hi John,
Thanks for another great show. Loved Old Cape Cod and Loch Lomond and most everything in-between.

midnight johnny
10-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Hi John,
Thanks for another great show. Loved Old Cape Cod and Loch Lomond and most everything in-between.

Thanks, Motown Steve!!! Much appreciated!

sophisticated_soul
10-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Ah, Johnny you're just too sweet! Great show. Thanks everybody. See you next time:-)

sophisticated_soul
10-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Julie has the last word! Even if it is m-o-u-s-e! Nytol.

midnight johnny
10-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Julie has the last word! Even if it is m-o-u-s-e! Nytol.

I thought you might like that.....g'night.....

sophisticated_soul
10-13-2010, 12:34 AM
I thought you might like that.....g'night.....

:)__________