PDA

View Full Version : Umpire Red Jones' Motown Album

test

JL2648
04-28-2013, 02:30 PM
While looking for something else, I stumbled upon Red Jones' Motown album, "Red Jones Streeerikes Back" [[MS-691). My first thought--perhaps yours--what was a baseball umpire recording a Motown album? Further digging revealed that this album is the spoken word and consists of humor and stories. Jones was an American League umpire in the 1940s and was known for his short fuse and storytelling abilities [[hence the album, I suppose). Al Ackerman, long-time Detroit sports media personality is also featured. That looks like Detroit Tigers catcher Bill Freehan of that era on the album cover. I imagine Motown was riding the wave of baseball interest in Detroit as the Tigers had won the World Championship just a year before this album was released in September 1969. Does anyone know anything about the contents of this album? Is it worthwhile or just silly stuff?

Jeff

theboyfromxtown
04-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Maybe it's the humour but I couldn't even handle one side of the album.

BayouMotownMan
04-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Maybe it's the humour but I couldn't even handle one side of the album.

I agree with BoyfromCrosstown. A while back I transferred this lp to digital. It was so not funny. I just kept wondering what the purpose of this lp was. I've seen funnier episodes of Hee Haw

robb_k
04-29-2013, 12:48 AM
Maybe Red's "stories" were just anecdotes of events that happened, that baseball fans would like to hear about for the "insight" into what goes on in The Game, whether they are "funny" or not? Hard core fans want to know EVERYTHING about the game, to feel closer to it, and know some things that "insiders" know. Stories can be "interesting" and entertaining, without being "funny".

But, from the description above, I might guess they were just plain dull and boring, and have no redeeming value. I, myself, like reading accounts of what went on in hockey and baseball back in the 1800s and early 1900s. I would have imagined that I might have enjoyed listening to that album once. i can't see buying it to play over and over. By the same token, I can't imagine having spent $3 or $4.00 on an LP of Jonathan Winters' monologues or skits, despite his being one of my favourite comedians. Playing a beautiful song over and over is something I like to do. I don't think I'd play comedy records over and over, when knowing every line by heart.

keith_hughes
04-29-2013, 05:50 PM
It was about as comprehensible to me as an LP of Dickie Bird telling cricket umpiring stories would be to the average American! But if such an LP had been made, I would probably have bought it and laughed myself silly ...

JL2648
04-30-2013, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the input, folks. Based on the feedback I need not search out this album.

Jeff

144man
04-30-2013, 08:17 AM
I played it once and never again.

JL2648
04-30-2013, 08:43 AM
I played it once and never again.

Don't tell me you broke this album over your knee after listening to it your one and only time! : )

Jeff

144man
04-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Don't tell me you broke this album over your knee after listening to it your one and only time! : )

Jeff

I still have it. I may leave it out in the sun and use it as a flowerpot.