PDA

View Full Version : Berry Gordy's autobiography

test

JL2648
04-28-2013, 09:35 AM
I checked out Berry Gordy's autobiography, To Be Loved [[1994), at a local library yesterday. Is this a good read?

Jeff

thomas96
04-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Yes, but it doesn't really tell or reveal much. As should be expected reading something by Mr. Gordy. Still worth reading and does have some interesting info that you may not know from other sources.

Motown4Ever518
04-28-2013, 11:09 AM
I agree with thomas96, not a lot new items, but a different perspective on things that have appeared by other sources. For example, I am reading Jermaine Jacksons book, You Are Not Alone, and he references MJ doing Who's Lovin You where Berry says to Smokey,"He got you on that one", alluding to MJ's incredible take as a 9 to 11 year old.

1382hitsville
04-28-2013, 11:26 AM
I agree as well. Truth is in the eye of the beholder. I read "Dreamgirls", "Secrets of a Sparrow" and "To Be Loved" and they all give a different perspective to events that happened. One thing they have in common...they all worked very hard.

jobeterob
04-28-2013, 12:21 PM
My memory of the book was that it was very basic. There was little explanation of decisions he made ~ just short and sweet. One singer had it, the other didn't. But that is probably how he saw life and those decisions ~ he had to make them, he did, and moved on. It would have been interesting to have some elaboration on a lot of it.

R. Mark Desjardins
04-28-2013, 02:49 PM
There certainly seems to be a lot of comment made by the professional critics regarding "The Book" pertaining to "Motown The Musical." About two years or so ago, hearing the buzz at that time regarding Berry Gordy's plan to produce a mini series on Motown for television, I scouted around for a signed copy of his tome. Luckily, one turned up that wasn't inscribed to anyone, just signed, which I obtained for a very reasonable price. No doubt an autographed copy now would be worth a lot more.

I can't help but be amused by the comments being fired off by Smokey Robinson and Mary Wilson, no doubt aimed at each other pertaining "The Book."

Smokey keeps repeating that this play will "set the real story straight" and silence previous authors whose stories aren't true. Mary Wilson weighed in with,
"Many books have been written about Motown, including mine, and this is Berry's story. Of course it's going to be different from our story, his is from the top. But all of these stories are true; everybody's viewpoint is important."

Do I hear just a little discordant note here? LOL!

captainjames
04-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Mr. Gordy's book did not change anything from any other reads that I had read it fulfilled it. He was the boss and here was his story. The others were employees and that was seen from their eyes. The only read that was a little different was Ramona's.

tmd
04-28-2013, 06:49 PM
One of the best biographies you will ever read, ranks right up there with Sir Chaplin's. BG goes into detail about people you don't get to hear much about i.e. Barney Ales, Mike McLean, James Jamerson and the Funk Brothers, HDH etc.
Don't let these other reviews sway you, You can't have a histroy of Motown without the man himself.

LuvHangOva
04-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Before my very eyes someone took 800.00 and turned it into millions!!! Trust and believe I want to hear any and everything he has to say about what it felt like from the inside...the inside of his soul and mind. Anything he has to say about it I NEED to hear. I care less about how it felt to be a participant but I find that info valuable too... I'll spend MORE time studying the person who started the whole thing. One thing he and I share : just like Berry, I too was totally fascinated by Diana Ross the VERY FIRST time I saw her----- I was NINE years old--- in 1964 and I just knew I was watching something/someone VERY special. I learned from that to trust MY OWN instincts I liked and was inspired by the entire roster of Motown artists but at the epicenter of it all for me was Miss Ross. It was very cool to hear him say the same thing to an interviewer at the premiere of Motown: The Musical the other night. Thanks Berry Gordy! Thanks for everything!! It's been an exhilarating ride for almost half a century. I enjoyed reading the autobiography..

thomas96
04-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Before my very eyes someone took 800.00 and turned it into millions!!! Trust and believe I want to hear any and everything he has to say about what it felt like from the inside...the inside of his soul and mind. Anything he has to say about it I NEED to hear. I care less about how it felt to be a participant but I find that info valuable too... I'll spend MORE time studying the person who started the whole thing. One thing he and I share : just like Berry, I too was totally fascinated by Diana Ross the VERY FIRST time I saw her----- I was NINE years old--- in 1964 and I just knew I was watching something/someone VERY special. I learned from that to trust MY OWN instincts I liked and was inspired by the entire roster of Motown artists but at the epicenter of it all for me was Miss Ross. It was very cool to hear him say the same thing to an interviewer at the premiere of Motown: The Musical the other night. Thanks Berry Gordy! Thanks for everything!! It's been an exhilarating ride for almost half a century. I enjoyed reading the autobiography..

To each his own. I personally don't find Diane interesting or special at all, but a lot do and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

To tmd, I'm not trying to sway anyone away from the book, it was a good read and I definitely would recommend it to everyone who hasn't read it. All I'm saying is that Mr. Gordy didn't reveal anything this was unknown at the time his book was released. All the information he revealed had been revealed before just from different points of view. I think it's definitely worth reading and hearing his point of view, but don't expect to learn very many new thing that you didn't know before. He has a lot more that he could say but he wants to keep his image good and chooses not to reveal a lot of it for reasons we don't know. Also, I don't recall him saying much about James Jamerson or the Funks at all. All I remember is him talking about Jamerson not playing it the way he wanted and he would put in little notes and sneak them in despite Berry getting mad at him, and Berry thinking it sounded fantastic anyways. Maybe it's just my bad memory, but that's what I remember. Regardless, it is a great read and definitely worth reading. Not trying to stir things up, just my opinion.

LuvHangOva
04-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Wasn't trying to say "Diane" should mean anything to anyone else... Just sharing how things are and have been In MY life. It is not mandatory that anyone agree with me..ever. But that won't change the realities of MY life. If your ideals, philosophies and opinions are different I am all about your right to have and express them. My goal was not to begin or extend some debate. I wanted to share my perspective which is definitely the right one .... For ME.

thomas96
04-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Wasn't trying to say "Diane" should mean anything to anyone else... Just sharing how things are and have been In MY life. It is not mandatory that anyone agree with me..ever. But that won't change the realities of MY life. If your ideals, philosophies and opinions are different I am all about your right to have and express them. My goal was not to begin or extend some debate. I wanted to share my perspective which is definitely the right one .... For ME.

That's why I said "to each his own." We are each just stating our opinions. I never said you were "wrong." No need to get into an argument.

jobeterob
04-29-2013, 12:59 AM
Smokey's big complaint has been this Mafia connection that really got played up in Dreamgirls, which was the issue that almost caused legal action and the apologies to Berry. Berry has also objected to that characterization ~ just not as much as Smokey. Smokey seems a little bitter over it and raises it an awful lot. I believe they expected Dreamgirls to be a bit of a character assassination of Diane and instead they got a very benign Diane and a bunch of Motown album covers and a character assassination of Motown and Berry being depicted as a quasi hoodlum.

I also don't see Mary's comments as aimed at Smokey's; she probably didn't even hear them. And I think she is right ~ there are just different viewpoints. Berry's were so short and sweet ~ blunt ~ and not always kind. Some of the other books went on and on about some five minute event as if it were a wedding. Berry gave a few one liners about who "had it" and who "didn't".

marv2
04-29-2013, 05:26 PM
I remember Berry's autobiography. He signed a copy for me.

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations
04-29-2013, 06:39 PM
The book was just missing something to me. I feel like I didn't get a clear view on how gordy felt about his artist. I would've loved his input on how he felt about David getting kicked out, Tammi's death and what about underrated artist like Brenda holloway.

No offense but I could have died without knowing about him and Diana's sexual experience it just wasn't needed.

I ♥ The Supremes and Temptations
04-29-2013, 06:48 PM
And what's up with the secrecy surrounding's Pauls death? It's like the big elephant that no one touches. So it's strange that Gordy didn't mention that considering that the temptation's was one of Motown's arguably biggest artists...

marv2
04-29-2013, 07:15 PM
And what's up with the secrecy surrounding's Pauls death? It's like the big elephant that no one touches. So it's strange that Gordy didn't mention that considering that the temptation's was one of Motown's arguably biggest artists...

Some believe that Paul was murdered.

floyjoy678
04-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Was it Berry or Smokey who wrote about blaming Florence's getting kicked out of the group on Tommy Chapman? One of them wrote about how he was getting in her ear and she shouldn't have been dating him anyway since he was only a chauffeur or something like that.

TheMotownManiac
04-30-2013, 04:11 AM
I didn't think much of Berry's book but it was OK and had some info. He left a lot out, but not as much as Ross. It wasn't as odd as Martha's, on point as Smokey's, bitter and purposeful as Mary's, nor as dirt filled as Miss Ray's or All That Glittered, but add them all up - it's a decent read. More is said by the agenda in some books [[like Mary's or Glittered) than the words themselves. Any doubts that Mary "loves Diane" were confirmed at the premiere 2 weeks ago when she shamelessly upstaged Ross once again. Motown 25 was 30 years ago, yet Mary's behavior is the same only this time she can't claim she stole the spotlight because she thought Diane had forgotten the words. Initially she marched right up to Ross, put her hands on her face, kissed Berry and then wedged herself between Ross and Valiesa who had been holding hands enjoying their connection. After Gladys got up, Mary mushed her way up to Berry in front of Ross, planted her feet and refused to move finally forcing Berry to pull Diana out from behind her so he could be with the person he chose to be with. Several attendees stated any hope of a reunion was obliterated by Mary's overt behavior - obviously calculated to anger Ross enough to get her to act out like on Motown 25, but time, without incident.

Jimi LaLumia
04-30-2013, 05:30 AM
and Miss Ross smiled and ignored her antics... a smart strategy.. the fans went nuts when Ross pulled up in a limo.. the competition has been over for a long time....poor Mary, she was like the dizzy aunt at a wedding that everyone tries to get away from..

marv2
04-30-2013, 06:50 AM
and Miss Ross smiled and ignored her antics... a smart strategy.. the fans went nuts when Ross pulled up in a limo.. the competition has been over for a long time....poor Mary, she was like the dizzy aunt at a wedding that everyone tries to get away from..

Yet she was not the one that was sent to rehab several times for having a drinking problem!

JL2648
04-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the input on the Gordy book. I read the first chapter at lunch yesterday. So far so good.

On a side note, I sense this thread becoming yet another Supremes discussion. Aren't there enough Supremes-related threads at this site already? I realize I'm new here and perhaps out of line for saying so but that is how I feel.

Jeff

milven
04-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Yet she was not the one that was sent to rehab several times for having a drinking problem!
Why do you constantly bring this up? Don't you realize that a comment like that can bait people to respond that other celebrities also had addiction problems that were not addressed until after their addiction caused a tragedy, sometimes as tragic as a family death?

Instead of knocking someone who goes to rehab to beat an addiction, you should be commending the person. But this is the real world. I may be expecting too much from you.

I read the Berry Gordy book as well as most of the other Motown related books. After reading these books, I realize that they each seem to give the author's side of the story. That's to be expected. I read all sides of the story and then form my own opinion. And that's all it is - an opinion.

thomas96
04-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the input on the Gordy book. I read the first chapter at lunch yesterday. So far so good.

On a side note, I sense this thread becoming yet another Supremes discussion. Aren't there enough Supremes-related threads at this site already? I realize I'm new here and perhaps out of line for saying so but that is how I feel.

Jeff

It happens on the majority of threads not about them in the first place. I'm getting tired of it.

rod_rick
04-30-2013, 02:08 PM
I didn't think much of Berry's book but it was OK and had some info. He left a lot out, but not as much as Ross. It wasn't as odd as Martha's, on point as Smokey's, bitter and purposeful as Mary's, nor as dirt filled as Miss Ray's or All That Glittered, but add them all up - it's a decent read. More is said by the agenda in some books [[like Mary's or Glittered) than the words themselves. Any doubts that Mary "loves Diane" were confirmed at the premiere 2 weeks ago when she shamelessly upstaged Ross once again. Motown 25 was 30 years ago, yet Mary's behavior is the same only this time she can't claim she stole the spotlight because she thought Diane had forgotten the words. Initially she marched right up to Ross, put her hands on her face, kissed Berry and then wedged herself between Ross and Valiesa who had been holding hands enjoying their connection. After Gladys got up, Mary mushed her way up to Berry in front of Ross, planted her feet and refused to move finally forcing Berry to pull Diana out from behind her so he could be with the person he chose to be with. Several attendees stated any hope of a reunion was obliterated by Mary's overt behavior - obviously calculated to anger Ross enough to get her to act out like on Motown 25, but time, without incident.

How about we get some first hand accounts and not what someone has told us. BTW Mary can never upstage Diana Ross because of who she is. Pictures speak a thousand words and if Diana felt that Mary was upstaging her she would not have posed for a picture with Mary. Redhot you were there, in your opinion did Mary try to upstage Diana. One last thing, stop responding to the bait.
Back to the topic it would be nice to get a take on what happen at Motown without someone having an ax to grind or trying to save face.

jobeterob
04-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Great post Rod.

I honestly think it is a leap to say there was any upstaging. Half of the news reports didn't even mention anyone besides Berry & Diana; their names or her name monopolized the headlines.

We all need to let these people be happy for another major success that they all are part of.

This time even Gladys came back.

TheMotownManiac
04-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Yes Mary did not go to rehab, Diana Ross went twice. What does this have to do with the topic?

TheMotownManiac
04-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Mary got quite a lot of press and the much more mellow Ross seemed amused at May's maneuvers. Gordy however, was not. They weren't going to let the night be ruined with catfights but see if it's another 30 years before Mary is invited to a Motown event. She just can't help herself. As Jane Fonda told Fox 5 upon exiting, "The show was so much fun - we had a blast." When asked if a Supremes reunion had occurred inside, she quipped, " it's unlikely we'll see THAT again!"

TheMotownManiac
04-30-2013, 03:37 PM
How about we get some first hand accounts and not what someone has told us. BTW Mary can never upstage Diana Ross because of who she is. Pictures speak a thousand words and if Diana felt that Mary was upstaging her she would not have posed for a picture with Mary. Redhot you were there, in your opinion did Mary try to upstage Diana. One last thing, stop responding to the bait.
Back to the topic it would be nice to get a take on what happen at Motown without someone having an ax to grind or trying to save face.

A) I WAS there. B) I have no ax to grind. C) Mary was firmly planted RIGHT in front of her - this was no mistake. Gordy turned to speak to Ross and Mary was there. He began to look around for her and there she was behind Mary and grinning at him - making no effort whatsoever to extricate herself from the second row as Mary "acted" oblivious to it all [[and Mary is no actress.) I think Ross actually thought it was funny. Gordy moved turned around with his back to us and reached past Mary to get to Diana and pulled her out from behind Mary. I couldn't see from my angle if he nudged or brushed Mary with his arm, but it did appear Ross made a valiant effort NOT to touch Mary as she stepped way around her. It all happened so fast. As she reached equal footing with Gordy, he pulled her out in front of Mary - purposefully it seemed - and danced with her. It was a smooth and brilliantly executed move to avoid any type of bad press whatsoever. He wasn't going to have another Motown 25 debacle on the biggest night of his career. Remember, he had a bird's eye view of Motown 25 and saw exactly what really happened - not the fairly tale Mary told. Not trying to stir up anything, it's just what happened. It's probably why Ross spent less than 5 minutes at the after party - to avoid ANY type of unpleasantness whatsoever. BTW, Diana sat with Berry in like the 7th row center - Mary, it seemed to me, seemed strategically seated quite far away, yet not buried in the mezzanine to appear obvious that they were being separated. Personally, I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a real, happy bury-the-past reunion so that the possibility of joint appearances - not a show - but just a relaxing of the divide would occur. I thought Mary seemed earnest in her words about getting together but there was no mistaking this. Watch. Ross will not step foot near Mary again - perhaps ever - unless it is a huge event, with control on her side and no possible moments for trouble.

marv2
04-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Yes Mary did not go to rehab, Diana Ross went twice. What does this have to do with the topic?

Ask Jimi LaLumia

marv2
04-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Why do you constantly bring this up?

Ask Jimi LaLumia

Jimi LaLumia
04-30-2013, 06:43 PM
I was under the impression that, for this momentous event, that Mary Wilson would rise above, bury past hard feelings and possibly launch new beginings..
obviously, the sour grapes that run through her veins are just too strong to allow her to turn a corner.and the few moments that her character is on stage is totally eclipsed during "The Diana Ross Story" on Broadway..I really do feel sorry for the direction that Mary Wilson has clung to, and now I know why Cindy Birdsong made no attempt to be present..and I think that it has nothing to do with Ross, and everything to do with Wilson.. so sad..until I read these accounts from folks who were there,I wanted to believe that better days were coming.. she tried to play the Motown 25 game again, and she failed...poor Mary..poor Flo, poor everybody..

jobeterob
04-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Well if the Motown Maniac is right, this is unfortunate. But it just means there will be nothing more, nothing thant any Supremes fan or Motown fan wants. But it is life, who cares. If the bitterness is embedded, it is embedded and it eats you from the inside.

So at what stage did the Ross Wilson picture get taken if Mary misbehaved so badly?

captainjames
04-30-2013, 08:18 PM
I was just happy for the moment; DIana and Mary in the same picture. Missing you Flo and yes there will probably be nothing more but after all they years they were in the same pic.

captainjames
04-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Mary and Diana could still be arguing over that Beaver Fur............Who knows and who cares. One day they will get it together.

rod_rick
04-30-2013, 08:38 PM
A) I WAS there. B) I have no ax to grind. C) Mary was firmly planted RIGHT in front of her - this was no mistake. Gordy turned to speak to Ross and Mary was there. He began to look around for her and there she was behind Mary and grinning at him - making no effort whatsoever to extricate herself from the second row as Mary "acted" oblivious to it all [[and Mary is no actress.) I think Ross actually thought it was funny. Gordy moved turned around with his back to us and reached past Mary to get to Diana and pulled her out from behind Mary. I couldn't see from my angle if he nudged or brushed Mary with his arm, but it did appear Ross made a valiant effort NOT to touch Mary as she stepped way around her. It all happened so fast. As she reached equal footing with Gordy, he pulled her out in front of Mary - purposefully it seemed - and danced with her. It was a smooth and brilliantly executed move to avoid any type of bad press whatsoever. He wasn't going to have another Motown 25 debacle on the biggest night of his career. Remember, he had a bird's eye view of Motown 25 and saw exactly what really happened - not the fairly tale Mary told. Not trying to stir up anything, it's just what happened. It's probably why Ross spent less than 5 minutes at the after party - to avoid ANY type of unpleasantness whatsoever. BTW, Diana sat with Berry in like the 7th row center - Mary, it seemed to me, seemed strategically seated quite far away, yet not buried in the mezzanine to appear obvious that they were being separated. Personally, I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a real, happy bury-the-past reunion so that the possibility of joint appearances - not a show - but just a relaxing of the divide would occur. I thought Mary seemed earnest in her words about getting together but there was no mistaking this. Watch. Ross will not step foot near Mary again - perhaps ever - unless it is a huge event, with control on her side and no possible moments for trouble.

I apologize for thinking you were giving a second had account because you stated that attendees at the event doubt that Diana and Mary would never be on the same stage again. Like I said before Mary can NEVER upstage Diana Ross and at a play about Berry Gordy and Diana Ross. Can we just enjoy the moment without all the negative madness, because unless we have spoke to Mary or Diana regarding this matter we don't know what they were thinking. Time will tell so let the chips fall where they may. Now back to Berry's book;)

LuvHangOva
04-30-2013, 08:58 PM
I wish I didn't have to say this but I noticed the odd body language when the cast, Berry and the ladies were onstage. I wasn't there but I have studied those pics over and over and what I thought when I first saw them is exactly what the MotownManiac is saying. It is unfortunate but at least we do have a couple of stunning pics of them together

Jimi LaLumia
04-30-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm sure Gordy told Ross to just go along with Wilson's antics, participate in it, that probably would burn her more than what she obviously wanted..another scuffle and the 'poor Mary' publicity to go along with it..and as seen, Ross and Gordy let her do her thing, like an annoying fly buzzing around a room in the summertime.. at the end of the day, it's all about Ross, and her role is now up for a Tony Award.. and I'm sure that people are talking about the film version already..

Roberta75
04-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Well I see the usual suspects took this thread south by bringing up Diane's rehab stay for which the lady should be applauded and then the Mary versus Diane bashing and Diane versus Mary bashing starts up all over again. You ought to be real ashamed for what some of you have wrote.

Roberta

Hotspurman
05-01-2013, 06:44 AM
I’ve read Berry’s book on several occasions – a couple of times for enjoyment and the rest for research. As several others here have pointed out, it is an okay read, although somewhat barren if you are expecting major revelations.

There are several key artists who warranted no mention whatsoever, and another one or two musicians whose names were misspelt, but I guess that is more down to me being pedantic rather than any intent on Berry’s part. The one thing I’ve never been able to clarify one way or another is the reason Nat Tarnapol turned down The Matadors [[who became The Miracles, of course); was it because they sound too much like The Platters or was it because they should try to sound more like The Platters? Although Smokey and Berry agree that there was a Platters connection to Tarnapol turning them down, they disagree as to what exactly was said!

JL2648
05-01-2013, 07:14 AM
I’ve read Berry’s book on several occasions – a couple of times for enjoyment and the rest for research. As several others here have pointed out, it is an okay read, although somewhat barren if you are expecting major revelations.

Thanks, Hotspurman, for trying to get this thread back on track [[I was really beginning to think all was lost). I'm only about a third into the book and agree about the lack of revelations. However, this does help fill out Berry's early life. For example, I knew Berry had a stint in the military but didn't know what he did there. In addition, I didn't know much about his boxing career other than he had fought at least once at Olympia Stadium and that his boxing record at boxrec.com revealed he was pretty good [[or had weak competition).

Jeff

Hotspurman
05-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Although I was disappointed with the book overall, feeling he could have gone further on some of the songs and artists, it did at least throw up one of his greatest quotes, when talking about The Four Tops’ hit Bernadette.

“I loved them all but for me, Bernadette would epitomize the Holland-Dozier-Holland genius for capturing a listener’s ear and not letting it go. It also helped fuel my belief that Levi Stubbs of The Four Tops could interpret and deliver the meaning of a song better than anybody. He made Bernadette live. I wanted to meet her myself.”

marybrewster
05-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Mary got quite a lot of press and the much more mellow Ross seemed amused at May's maneuvers. Gordy however, was not. They weren't going to let the night be ruined with catfights but see if it's another 30 years before Mary is invited to a Motown event. She just can't help herself. As Jane Fonda told Fox 5 upon exiting, "The show was so much fun - we had a blast." When asked if a Supremes reunion had occurred inside, she quipped, " it's unlikely we'll see THAT again!"

This coming from a woman that "hid" her daughter for decades. LOL.

I love Fonda, but wouldn't trust a word that comes out of her mouth.

thomas96
05-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks, Hotspurman, for trying to get this thread back on track [[I was really beginning to think all was lost). I'm only about a third into the book and agree about the lack of revelations. However, this does help fill out Berry's early life. For example, I knew Berry had a stint in the military but didn't know what he did there. In addition, I didn't know much about his boxing career other than he had fought at least once at Olympia Stadium and that his boxing record at boxrec.com revealed he was pretty good [[or had weak competition).

Jeff

Yeah the first parts about his early life are great and the book overall is great, but don't expect all the company secrets you know what I mean?

thomas96
05-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Although I was disappointed with the book overall, feeling he could have gone further on some of the songs and artists, it did at least throw up one of his greatest quotes, when talking about The Four Tops’ hit Bernadette.

“I loved them all but for me, Bernadette would epitomize the Holland-Dozier-Holland genius for capturing a listener’s ear and not letting it go. It also helped fuel my belief that Levi Stubbs of The Four Tops could interpret and deliver the meaning of a song better than anybody. He made Bernadette live. I wanted to meet her myself.”

I love that quote. Thanks for posting as I haven't read the book in quite some time.

JL2648
05-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Yeah the first parts about his early life are great and the book overall is great, but don't expect all the company secrets you know what I mean?

Going in, I certainly didn't anticipate BG would unload all sorts of little secrets in his autobiography. In fact, to be honest, I expected this to be more of an ego trip than anything. That hasn't been the case so far--I'm only 60-something pages in--but I'm still in what I would call Berry's "humbling" period.

Jeff

jobeterob
05-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Berry's autobiography was perhaps "polite". He was the top dog; he gained nothing from being sensationalist or trashing people; he didn't need the money or the notoriety, obviously. So it seemed to me he might have been succinct, to the point, with little elaboration. And it made for a bit of a boring read to me. But many of those books are.

So, I'm wondering when someone from the old school press will pick up MotownManiac's story.

R. Mark Desjardins
05-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Say what you will about Berry Gordy, but what ever he touches seems to turn to gold. I remember a few years back there was a lot of buzz about him and Suzanne DePasse working on a television mini series for the 50th anniversary of Motown. He must have foreseen the greater possibility of having people pay to see the story presented on stage.

I remember reading that many of the top Vaudeville acts back in the day balked at having their performances filmed reasoning that once you saw their act on film, why would you pay to see them perform it live. Sort of a reverse kind of thinking on Berry's part, realizing why should be tell his story for free on television. Of course, with the evident success of Motown The Musical, a motion picture version will certainly be on the horizon. Berry Gordy has NOT lost his midas touch!

skooldem1
05-01-2013, 01:16 PM
So, I'm wondering when someone from the old school press will pick up MotownManiac's story.

This thread should stay on topic: Berry's Autobiography. But the answer to you question. It has already been reported [[see below). I will add that I thought it was odd that Mary grabbed Valisia's hand, interupting Valisia's moment with Diana, the woman she was portraying. I saw Valisia on TV last night and she said that Berry gave her a message from Diana afterwords about how she felt about her portrayal of her. Too bad Diana didn't get that chance to say more than a few words before being interrupted.

"There was also a little Ross-related drama at the post-show curtain call earlier in the evening. While singer Wilson was standing next to Gordy, she apparently declined to acknowledge the fellow former Supreme, Ross, who was standing right behind her. Gordy then reached back and took Ross’ hand and danced the Detroit Bop with her while the band played “Dancing in the Streets.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/motown-gordy-recalls-flop-love-article-1.1317706?print

jobeterob
05-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Good job Skool. It's all relevant too. It's all news. I know many of us don't like it to get too biting here.........but it appears mild compared to a few sites I've looked in on ~ YouTube for example.

Motown the Musical was the top grossing show on Broadway last week ~ I posted that under that thread.

marybrewster
05-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Since we're all being so HONEST, I have read in several reports the ONLY person expected to make an appearance onstage at curtain call was Berry himself.

So it seems to me Wilson, Ross, Knight, Wonder, Robinson and everyone else were "interrupting" Berry's moment.

Naturally I cannot find one article that supports my "claim", but I am certain many of you have read of which I speak. I believe the quote was, "Everyone ended up on stage; it was very Motown".

marybrewster
05-01-2013, 01:48 PM
This thread should stay on topic: Berry's Autobiography. But the answer to you question. It has already been reported [[see below). I will add that I thought it was odd that Mary grabbed Valisia's hand, interupting Valisia's moment with Diana, the woman she was portraying. I saw Valisia on TV last night and she said that Berry gave her a message from Diana afterwords about how she felt about her portrayal of her. Too bad Diana didn't get that chance to say more than a few words before being interrupted.

"There was also a little Ross-related drama at the post-show curtain call earlier in the evening. While singer Wilson was standing next to Gordy, she apparently declined to acknowledge the fellow former Supreme, Ross, who was standing right behind her. Gordy then reached back and took Ross’ hand and danced the Detroit Bop with her while the band played “Dancing in the Streets.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/motown-gordy-recalls-flop-love-article-1.1317706?print

You must have forgotten to include this part of the article:

Wilson told us later that despite her notoriously frosty history with Ross, she and the Diva are on good terms now.

“We talked,” Wilson assured Confidenti@l, adding that the play might help people understand Motown’s overall dynamic. “I’m glad that people can see what we were — a family. Life has been good to me.”

marybrewster
05-01-2013, 01:51 PM
The real Motowners joined their facsimiles during the curtain call — Ross, Gordy, Wonder, who had to climb over the orchestra pit and be hauled up onstage, Smokey Robinson, Mary Wilson and Gladys Knight.

Poor Stevie. In an effort to upstage Berry he had to be "hauled" via the orchestra pit. LOL.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/matilda_gleeful_skipping_waltz_to_8FDKxuka6LWDX30u FgWWkI

skooldem1
05-01-2013, 01:55 PM
You must have forgotten to include this part of the article:

Wilson told us later that despite her notoriously frosty history with Ross, she and the Diva are on good terms now.

“We talked,” Wilson assured Confidenti@l, adding that the play might help people understand Motown’s overall dynamic. “I’m glad that people can see what we were — a family. Life has been good to me.”

No I didn't forget it. I only copied the part that was relevant to what had been said earlier about Ross being in the back and Berry pulling her up front and dancing with her. We have all heard that same talk from Mary for years. About how her and Diana have talked and how they are "sisters". I included the link for those who wanted to read the whole article.

jobeterob
05-01-2013, 02:29 PM
That was a very interesting article and I'm glad we were referred to it. I missed it and I went and read the whole article.

I think the article made "quite a bit" about something that wasn't THAT significant. These people are pulled on stage, through the orchestra pit or whatever. They are excited; they need to figure out what is going on in an excited moment. Some of them are appearing at an event bigger than they usually appear at. So, they get disoriented a bit.

I think a bit more was made of it than likely was there; just like Mary had to make a bit more of a few events than likely occurred and make more of her connection to Diane ~ or they didn't want to publish her book.

Life at Motown probably occurred much more like Berry rendered it in his book ~ day to day, it was not all drama and excitement; there was a lot of hard work and a lot of critical decisions that altered music history.

Thanks Skooldem for the article and MManiac for his first hand account.

LuvHangOva
05-01-2013, 02:48 PM
It's also important to keep in mind that most of these people are professional entertainers most with more than 50 years experience on stage so are less apt to be stunned and blinded by the stage lights and excitement. They know their way around a stage. Some of it seemed deliberate to me.