PDA

View Full Version : The Motown Hit Inspired By Dylan - Wall Street Journal

test

Methuselah2
04-26-2013, 04:33 PM
http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424127887323735604578438801075134708?mg=ren o64-wsj

thomas96
04-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Great article! I love Bob Dylan. Great songwriter, great singer, great harmonica player, great man. Hurricane is one my favorite songs ever.

JL2648
04-27-2013, 07:33 AM
Fantastic piece...a real good behind the scenes look at how a hit was created. Terrific insight as to how H-D-H worked as a team. I'm always amused at how sometimes artists don't think much of a song when they first hear it...and then it becomes a big hit [[what do they know?).

Jeff

mysterysinger
04-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Has Eddie Holland's demo of "Reach Out I'll Be There" ever seen the light?

Methuselah2
04-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Jeff - So glad you enjoyed the article. I agree with you--it is interesting to hear what artists think about their own recordings and compare it to how the recording ended up performing commercially. Perhaps The Supremes' WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO has long been the classic example of a smash hit versus the artists' opinion of the song itself. The Supremes certainly felt one way about it and the publc entirely another. I don't think it's really possible for anyone to know at the start what will hit big and what won't. HDH hit a grand-slam that time--but they didn't do it every time. Nobody can. And it always struck me as unrealistic that Berry Gordy had issued a directive that only No. 1 recordings would be released on The Supremes. An impossible mandate--unless, perhaps, the intent was really just to have HDH produce at the top of their game. Gordy knew a best-seller when he heard REACH OUT I'LL BE THERE, according to the article, but he heard something else when he reportedly nixed Marvin Gaye's recording of I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE--the original recording of the song that pre-dated the Gladys Knight & the Pips' version. I've always heard that Diana Ross never cared much for I HEAR A SYMPHONY and didn't like singng it but felt just the opposite about IN AND OUT OF LOVE. For me, it's hard to figure that one out--unless the info I had heard was inaccurate to begin with. I know I heard HDH once say FOREVER CAME TODAY may have been the culmination of the best of their work. But if that's true, it may have been true only for them.

What I found most fascinating in the article was Lamont Dozier's mention of Brian Holland's liking to write material in ballad tempo in order to get the feel of the piece and concentrate on the melody. This was a genuine revelation to me--something I'd never heard mentioned before, and it made perfect sense. Perhaps Brian's doing so is the key to what made so many HDH compositions, in general, so rich and textured and complex. Not necessarily better than what other writers produced but often noticeably different from what others created. But when you add in what The Funk Bros. contributed and also what effect was brought forth in the mixing, let alone that of the vocal artists themselves, it can get difficult for me to decipher exactly what it is that makes a Motown recording really get to me. Maybe that's what the Motown Sound ultimately is--the 'overall' sound of what it is that's being heard. But whatever it is, two things I think are for certain: It started with the writers, and ended with the producers. And when they were one and the same, so much the better.

R. Mark Desjardins
04-27-2013, 12:13 PM
I see that the article address link mentioned above is no longer available. Does someone have another one that works! Thanks for this in advance!

thomas96
04-27-2013, 12:27 PM
I see that the article address link mentioned above is no longer available. Does someone have another one that works! Thanks for this in advance!

That link still works for me... Not sure why it wouldn't for you.

hwume
04-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Here is the full article. Writer Marc Myers has his own website noting the article's publication [[among other projects) and has a link there as well; perhaps that will work if needed: http://jazzwax.com/

The Motown Hit Inspired by Dylan
By MARC MYERS

Up against a deadline in mid-1966, Motown songwriters Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier and Eddie Holland decided to try something new. Rather than pen another romantic love story for the Four Tops, Mr. Dozier and Messrs. Holland wrote "Reach Out I'll Be There."
Twelve of the writing team's songs had already hit No. 1—including seven by the Supremes and the Four Tops' "I Can't Help Myself." This time, their new song explored emotional despair and commiseration—mature themes that eventually would send the single to No. 1 in October 1966.

Earlier this month marked the Broadway opening of "Motown: The Musical" and the release of "Four Tops: 50th Anniversary Singles Collection 1964-1972" [[Motown). Recently, Mr. Dozier, arranger Paul Riser and original Four Tops member Abdul "Duke" Fakir reflected on the group's biggest hit, Bob Dylan's influence and why the group was surprised the song became a smash hit. Edited from interviews.

Lamont Dozier: In the early summer of 1966, I walked into our small work space at Motown and heard Brian at the piano. He liked composing in a ballad tempo—to feel and shape the melody. When I asked what he was playing, he said he wasn't sure and didn't know where it should go next.
I suggested he pick up the tempo, and we played around with the song's introduction for about a half hour. By then I had an idea, so I nudged Brian off the bench. This is how we worked—he'd often do the same to me on songs I started. In this case, I wanted to create a mind trip—a journey of emotions with sustained tension, like a bolero. To get this across, I alternated the keys—from a minor Russian feel in the verse to a major gospel feel in the chorus.
From the start, we knew "Reach Out" was for Levi Stubbs [the group's lead singer] and the Four Tops. But we had to work fast—they were due back soon in Detroit from a tour. During their time away, we had to create a catalog of new material they could record for an album.
As soon as we had the song's melody down, I wrote lyrics for the chorus—[sings] "I'll be there, to always…see you…through." I also wrote the story in the verses. In places where I didn't have the lyrics just right, I added a few words as placeholders. Then Eddie took my draft and turned it into a more polished story as I focused on production with Brian.
I wanted the song to explore the kinds of things women were going through and for Levi to come off as understanding and supportive. I also wanted the lyrics to be phrased in a special way—as though they were being thrown down.
Back in '66, we were listening a lot to Bob Dylan. He was the poet then, and we were inspired by his talk-singing style on "Like a Rolling Stone." Dylan was something else—a guy we looked up to. We loved the complexity of his lyrics and how he spoke the lines and sang them in places. We wanted Levi to shout-sing "Reach Outs"'s lyrics—as a shout-out to Dylan.
We went into the studio a few days later with just a rhythm section to record the basic instrumental tracks. Then Eddie recorded a demo for Levi—so he'd know how the melody went and where the action was. We also left little spots open where Levi could add his flavor.

Duke Fakir: We first heard the song in the studio—just before we recorded it. We were making an album at the time, so there was a lot of material to cover. "Reach Outs"'s musical key was a little higher than usual for us. I was the group's high tenor, so I had to hit the top notes without going into falsetto.
Levi was Jackie Wilson's cousin and very talented with his voice. He was a baritone with a tenor range and wasn't afraid to attempt any note. For "Reach Out," Lamont purposefully put Levi at the top of his range, to make sure he'd have that cry and hunger and wailing in his voice.
The hardest part was Levi working on the shout-singing. Levi had his notepad with him and wrote down things to help him get the right feel. But he laughed when he worked through it. The song was so different—he thought the Dylan approach Lamont wanted was a studio experiment, not the real thing.

Mr. Dozier: After the Tops finished the vocal tracks, [arranger] Paul Riser came in and we worked on overdubbing the "the sweetness"— strings, chorus and other instruments that enhanced the song's personality.

Paul Riser: Lamont and I decided to add a piccolo and flute in the intro. The piccolo's piercing sound was essential. It's like a siren and gets your attention right away. It's also the sound of a heart crying. A flute alone would have been too warm and comforting.
The hoof-beat drum pattern that follows was made using timpani mallets on the plastic head of a tambourine without its little metal cymbals. That sounded like a heartbeat speeding up and raised anticipation. All of these things were used to set the mood.
Then the Andantes [Motown's backing vocalists] were added so there were female voices echoing Levi's lines. I also added strings to the song's chorus using classical chord inversions—different intervals between the bass notes—to widen the sound.

Mr. Dozier: When we had everything on tape, we overdubbed a few last-minute touches—like handclapping and a tambourine, which emphasized a gospel feel. All of us sang that shouted "Yah!" just before Levi came in. We did that to add a feeling of fire and to give the song a little shove forward.

Mr. Fakir: Two or three weeks later, [Motown founder] Berry Gordy called in the Tops. He said he was going to release our biggest hit. We said, "Great, when are we going to record it?" He said, "You already did." We said, "Which one?" He said, "Let me play you a little bit." When we heard the opening to "Reach Out," we begged him not to release it, to let us go down to the studio to record something else. To us, the song felt a little odd. Berry took it off and said, "I'm going to release it—and you're going to be surprised."
I first heard the song in September, in my car. By then it had all the sweetness in there and was already heading up the charts. I drove to the office and asked to see Berry. His secretary said he was in a meeting. I walked in anyway. He looked up, surprised. I said, "Berry, please don't ever ask us again what we think of our records."

A version of this article appeared April 26, 2013, on page D5 in the U.S. edition of The Wall Street Journal, with the headline: The Motown Hit Inspired by Dylan.

StuBass1
04-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Interesting in that for years I have heard a lot of Dylan in Bernadette by the Four Tops...especially on the lines, "When I cannot control myself Bernadette' etc [[I used to sing those lines in Dylanesque style for a joke)...in that Dylan style raising up his voice in that sort of 'whiney' fashion. Little did I know that HDH were listening to that much Dylan and that what I heard was actually an influence.

stephanie
04-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Great article I wish we had more of these. Especially on the Marvelettes.

hwume
04-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Great article I wish we had more of these. Especially on the Marvelettes.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204443404577052522627856602.html?K EYWORDS=marvelettes

http://www.jazzwax.com/2011/11/interview-kat-anderson.html

drewschultz88
04-27-2013, 04:21 PM
HW Delivers!

JL2648
04-27-2013, 04:57 PM
HW delivers indeed! Thank you.

I must say Wanda Young in the photo with the first link looks downright stunning.

Jeff

JL2648
04-27-2013, 05:10 PM
And it always struck me as unrealistic that Berry Gordy had issued a directive that only No. 1 recordings would be released on The Supremes. An impossible mandate--unless, perhaps, the intent was really just to have HDH produce at the top of their game.

I'm thinking this was a Motown myth, unless they had some really top-notch market-testing going on which I really doubt would be in place in the 1960s.

Maybe that's what the Motown Sound ultimately is--the 'overall' sound of what it is that's being heard. But whatever it is, two things I think are for certain: It started with the writers, and ended with the producers. And when they were one and the same, so much the better.

I too believe the "Sound" is sum of all the parts--writers, producers, band and artists. During my most recent visit to the Motown Museum about a month ago, there was very little on the writers and producers. That was really my only critism. Without good writing and producing, even the best of artists would struggle to get a hit.

Jeff

midnightman
04-27-2013, 10:31 PM
^ I think that was a myth too. Berry had to know it was impossible to always have a number-one record even with a top-selling group.

That said, "Reach Out" by the Tops will always be a classic. I thought it was more influenced by gospel preachers personally. :)