PDA

View Full Version : For Sweet Inspiration fans

test

blueskies
04-24-2013, 09:26 PM
http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=w2wsfk5xn8

Kamasu_Jr
04-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Sweet, Sweet Soul was probably their best Atlantic album and the most cohesive studio effort.

blueskies
04-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Sweet, Sweet Soul was probably their best Atlantic album and the most cohesive studio effort.

Thanks for that input Kamasu. Now, I'll buy it for sure. Thanks!

reese
04-25-2013, 08:34 PM
All of their Atlantic albums have been released on cd. SWEET SWEET SOUL was released on a 2fer with SWEETS FOR MY SWEET, another great album. I'm not sure if they are still in print, but it wasn't that long ago.

Kamasu_Jr
04-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Some of their Atlantic albums were hit and miss or patchy in my opinion. I liked the first LP, and some of the gospel record. Sweets for My Sweets and What the World...were patchy to me.

reese
04-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Some of their Atlantic albums were hit and miss or patchy in my opinion. I liked the first LP, and some of the gospel record. Sweets for My Sweets and What the World...were patchy to me.

WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS LOVE is my least favorite, and I rarely play it. Their debut album is my absolute favorite, followed by SWEETS FOR MY SWEET. The gospel set is good, too.

I never got into their Stax or RSO albums.

blueskies
04-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Still wish they'd release "Hot Butterfly" on CD [[post Houston).http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IfngVbRRECU/TcBfHAbKSGI/AAAAAAAADc0/VMz7iDM_C2w/s1600/sweet+inspirations+-+hot+butterfly+1979.jpg

Kamasu_Jr
04-26-2013, 10:32 AM
I was looking for Hot Butterfly on digital disc. I. would hope it would see a reissue. Reese, I never got into the Sweets' Stax album either. Cissy was gone by then and to me SHE was the Sweets. I was always suspect of their work with Elvis. He paid them well, but they gave up their career for him. I didn't see the point. He never produced anything on them.

reese
04-26-2013, 12:07 PM
I was looking for Hot Butterfly on digital disc. I. would hope it would see a reissue. Reese, I Never got into the Sweets' Stax album either. Cissy was gone by then and to me SHE was the Sweets. I was always suspect of their work with Elvis. He paid them well, but they gave up their career for him.

Re the Stax album, I was expecting something really great. I had read a few reviews that made it seem like a real lost treasure. But other than the songs CALL ME WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS and EMERGENCY, I wasn't impressed.

I think Cissy's loss can even be felt on SWEET SWEET SOUL, as she isn't on all of it. Her replacement Ann [[?), had a nice voice when singing background vocals. But I found her tone a bit piercing on lead, as on TWO CAN PLAY THE GAME. It is good that they had Sylvia to take over most of the leads after Cissy left, as her voice was very good, and very reminiscent of her sister's, Judy Clay.

rrussi
04-27-2013, 03:29 PM
The photo above isn't the Sweet Inspirations that I remember! Also, weren't there four of them? I remember them backing Elvis and were in the movie, which was like a documentary film in about '70 called That's The Way It Is. It was about his touring.

blueskies
04-27-2013, 08:27 PM
http://www.frixionrecords.com/RIGHTPLACE.html

The Sweet Inspirations last CD. I got mine signed by Myrna Smith from their web site at the time. I really enjoy it.

reese
04-27-2013, 08:53 PM
The photo above isn't the Sweet Inspirations that I remember! Also, weren't there four of them? I remember them backing Elvis and were in the movie, which was like a documentary film in about '70 called That's The Way It Is. It was about his touring.

They became a trio after Cissy's replacement Ann Williams "disappeared" during an engagement in Lake Tahoe.

The women on the RSO album shown above are [[l-r): Gloria Brown, Myrna Smith, and Sylvia Shemwell. According to David Nathan, Gloria isn't actually heard on the album. Vocalist Pat Terry is heard instead.

blueskies
04-27-2013, 09:29 PM
I had read that somewhere too, Reese. I wonder whatever happened to Gloria Brown? I think Gloria toured with them for awhile.