PDA

View Full Version : Found a billy eckstine's the prime of my life!!!!

test

Ngroove
04-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Man oh man....can't believe it....from my local thriftstore, which 99% of their records are easy listening / "Middle of the Road" anyways, found a Motown Billy Eckstine! Only paid fifty-nine cents!

Perhaps quite a different "change of pace" from the fast, upbeat sounds of standard Motown of the peroid, 1965, possibly the reason why it never made as BIG as the voice inside the record is, the kids didn't eat it up - with the strings, and light jazz orchestrations - that complimented "Mister B"'s still-larger than life voice, richer and fuller than, dare I say, even Levi Stubbs!

Really, listening down Side One - "The Prime Of My Life", "Maybe Today", "Who Can I Turn To", "As Long As She Needs Me", the record shoulda been at least as big as any Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis, and Sinatra of the peroid.

RossHolloway
04-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Nice score man! I think when Motown signed Billy E. and Barbara McNair, and even Barbara Randolph, I think they knew they didn't fit neatly into Motown's hit making wheel house, but I think they were more likely signed to diversify Motown's appeal - to show the music industry and world that they were more than just a r&b/soul/pop lable, but also a lable of established artists as well. An attempt to give the lable more gravitas in a way. I don't think any of those artist were signed to compete with the Temptations, Miracles, Supremes or Marvin Gaye.

sophisticated_soul
04-22-2013, 04:49 PM
A major find! Congratulations!:)

BayouMotownMan
04-22-2013, 05:14 PM
These MOR albums and singles sold very little and Motown was trying to diversify. The funniest one was Tony Martin's Ask Any Man...a gender change with a similar track from the Supremes' Ask Any Girl. Martin is singing in his best baritone operatic voice over the Funks and the result is laughable.

Ngroove
04-22-2013, 05:57 PM
But hey, under a "mature" mind, diversity of styles is awesome, right? A variety of singers, under a variety of voices, rather than just the "Same Old Songs".

Thanks everyone.

theboyfromxtown
04-22-2013, 06:07 PM
When I read about your find Ngroove, it took me back to the day when I first got my own copy. I had been searching for it for a long time too. It was a wonderful memory for me and I thank you for prompting me to remember the excitement that day. I am sure it was not very different to the way you felt too.

One of the good things about getting older....happy memories. *smile*

Ngroove
04-22-2013, 06:40 PM
When I read about your find Ngroove, it took me back to the day when I first got my own copy. I had been searching for it for a long time too. It was a wonderful memory for me and I thank you for prompting me to remember the excitement that day. I am sure it was not very different to the way you felt too.

One of the good things about getting older....happy memories. *smile*

Honestly, I'd never expected - nor optimistically dreamed - to own a physical piece of Mister B's Motown - Amazon prices on his Motown Years CD set is just way too astronomical! Like the time I found my "Mary Wilson", Truly, a BIG EYE OPENING moment, naturally gasped out a "HOLY!" same time, and without a second thought, clutched it tightly in my hands, and bought it immediately!

"Had You Been Around" - LOVE the climactic crescendo - "Love Is Gone" - I really don't know if that is Funk Brothers there - but if they were - true musical malleability - sounds more like 1971 than 1965!

nabob
04-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Congrats on that great find. Mr B does a great cover on Kim Weston's Just Loving You and Randy Newman's [[and Nina Simone's) Feelin' Good. This is All I Ask was played during a friend's wedding back in college. I was floored that my contemporaries knew the song also. Enjoy your find. Best wishes for many more finds.

kenneth
04-22-2013, 08:58 PM
I really enjoy the Billy Eckstine albums, and the Motown Anthology set has a lot of unreleased stuff so if it isn't too expensive get a copy when you can. Like the Barbara McNair albums, I think these were totally at keeping with the MOR end of the Motown Sound.

Diahann Carroll's one Motown LP isn't bad either, though to me she's always been rather bland as a vocalist.

thomas96
04-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Awesome! The only noteworthy album I've ever gotten at a thrift shop was the Miracles From the Beginning.... Eckstine's tops that for sure!

Ngroove
04-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Congrats on that great find. Mr B does a great cover on Kim Weston's Just Loving You and Randy Newman's [[and Nina Simone's) Feelin' Good. This is All I Ask was played during a friend's wedding back in college. I was floored that my contemporaries knew the song also. Enjoy your find. Best wishes for many more finds.

Great gems, interesting all! It's always great to know the music that touches one's life at the heart, sentimental points in time.

And thanks; in the hunting of records, it's one thing to find a Temptations / Supremes / Diana Ross, even Commodores are pretty commonplace to find, but it's the most unexpectedly interesting joy to discover a Billy Eckstine, a Mary Wilson, a High Inergy, and hope someday, Lewis Sisters / Chris Clark / Chuck Jackson / Fantastic Four / Valerie Simpson / Dynamic Superiors / Tata Vega / dozens others, even Sammy Davis Jr's Motown, or even Barbara Mcnair; either that, or settle for overpriced prices for even a USED anthology CDs of hers! Hey, life is full of surprises; never know what you'll find.

thomas96
04-22-2013, 11:51 PM
And thanks; in the hunting of records, it's one thing to find a Temptations / Supremes / Diana Ross, even Commodores are pretty commonplace to find, but it's the most unexpectedly interesting joy to discover a Billy Eckstine, a Mary Wilson, a High Inergy, and hope someday, Lewis Sisters / Chris Clark / Chuck Jackson / Fantastic Four / Valerie Simpson / Dynamic Superiors / Tata Vega / dozens others, even Sammy Davis Jr's Motown, or even Barbara Mcnair; either that, or settle for overpriced prices for even a USED anthology CDs of hers! Hey, life is full of surprises; never know what you'll find.

Just curious... Where do you live? [[What major city is nearest to you) I think finding records at thrift shops and such has to do with where you live. Like, I bet its much easier to find a Chris Clark, Chuck Jackson, or Fantastic Four album in a thrift shop in Detroit than a thrift shop in Miami, or easier in Baltimore than Boston, etc. If you don't want to share then no problem, but I'm just curious since I very rarely find any Motown out here in Boston.

Ngroove
04-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Just curious... Where do you live? [[What major city is nearest to you) I think finding records at thrift shops and such has to do with where you live. Like, I bet its much easier to find a Chris Clark, Chuck Jackson, or Fantastic Four album in a thrift shop in Detroit than a thrift shop in Miami, or easier in Baltimore than Boston, etc. If you don't want to share then no problem, but I'm just curious since I very rarely find any Motown out here in Boston.

Well, around Dayton / Cincinnati, OH...there's a couple of downtown city record stores filled with plentiful Motown / R&B, but the drive's still quite a ways to get there. Yeah, sadly - most thrift stores' records is even my dad's dad's and mom's hahaha....so full a "Big Bands" or "Lawrence Welks" or "Best of the Fifties" or "Barbra Streisands" or "Sounds of Hawaii"....yeah, I could at least buy, occassionally listen to an occassional Mathis, King Cole, or Dionne Warwick time-to-time, but it's like needles in haystacks, the good stuff! But, managed to find a Minnie Riperton's "Perfect Angel" once...didn't know Stevie Wonder practically produced her entire album!...Peaches & Herb's "2 Hot"....previous most interesting - until now - find I've ever found in a Thrift Store [[Goodwill), a 12" single of Freeez' "IOU".

But yeah - I get what you mean - vacationed in Washington D.C., New York, Chicago, Detroit before - a lot more vast and better mix of variety on urban / R&B radio.

Only previous Motowns seen in Thriftstore - don't know if I should regret that I bought neither - "Four Tops Live" and "The Crusaders At Their Best" - the latter, I clearly cannot tell who in the world is "the Crusaders" are, or what genre they play - the entire cover's nothin' but crudely drawn shields!

JL2648
04-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Recently I've been to two record shows in the Detroit area and must admit I was disappointed in the Motown items for sale. A few sellers had some selections from the big names and not much else. Overall most of what was being offered was rock. Considering this is the home of the Motown Sound I was a bit bummed.

Perhaps 20 years ago I visited the used record stores in the Detroit area. They too did not have much, Motown-wise. While visiting Pittsburgh I found a store with a HUGE selection of Motown records [[I wish I could remember the name of the place in the event they are still in business), in very nice condition [[no junk) and well-organized. I remember telling the guy that he has a bigger selection of Motown records than any store in Detroit. He actually said he wasn't surprised. I don't think People's Records in Detroit existed at this time.

I have a coworker that hits a thrift store on a daily basis [[!) for records. I know he isn't into Motown but has told me they only have albums, no 45s, at least at this particular store.

Jeff

mysterysinger
04-26-2013, 05:05 AM
Only previous Motowns seen in Thriftstore - don't know if I should regret that I bought neither - "Four Tops Live" and "The Crusaders At Their Best" - the latter, I clearly cannot tell who in the world is "the Crusaders" are, or what genre they play - the entire cover's nothin' but crudely drawn shields!

Agree that the cover is not much help, but do you really not know who The Crusaders are?

mysterysinger
04-26-2013, 05:08 AM
Great find on Billy Eckstine by the way!

carole cucumber
04-26-2013, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=JL2648;162028]
Perhaps 20 years ago I visited the used record stores in the Detroit area. They too did not have much, Motown-wise. While visiting Pittsburgh I found a store with a HUGE selection of Motown records [[I wish I could remember the name of the place in the event they are still in business), in very nice condition [[no junk) and well-organized.

You seem to be speaking about:
http://www.jerrysrecords.com/

JL2648
04-26-2013, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=JL2648;162028]
You seem to be speaking about:
http://www.jerrysrecords.com/

I don't think this is the place I visited as I don't remember going to the Squirrel Hill area. I'm thinking it was closer to my relatives in the South Hills area. Also, Jerry's looks larger than the store I visited. Of course this was several years ago and my mind is foggy on the details. Nonetheless I'll keep Jerry's in mind for my next visit to the Burgh. Thanks!

Jeff

robb_k
04-27-2013, 01:00 AM
The Crusaders previously were The Jazz Crusaders [[one of the very best '60s Jazz groups), In the '70s they put more Funk into their style. They stayed among the top jazz groups. I would LOVE to have found that album, myself [[I am so jealous of your lost opportunity). Although their '60s cuts are among my favourites out of all kinds of music, I love their early '70s cuts, as well.

thomas96
04-27-2013, 01:32 AM
The Crusaders previously were The Jazz Crusaders [[one of the very best '60s Jazz groups), In the '70s they put more Funk into their style. They stayed among the top jazz groups. I would LOVE to have found that album, myself [[I am so jealous of your lost opportunity). Although their '60s cuts are among my favourites out of all kinds of music, I love their early '70s cuts, as well.

"Way Back home" was originally by the Jazz Crusaders, then Gladys Knight and Johnny Bristol added vocals and gave it to Junior Walker. The Jazz Crusaders are one of my favorite acts, they were great in the late '60's as well as early '70's.

nabob
04-27-2013, 06:46 AM
I clearly cannot tell who in the world is "the Crusaders" are, or what genre they play - the entire cover's nothin' but crudely drawn shields!
STREET LIFE with Randy Crawford
PUT IT WHERE YOU WANT IT
SOUL SHADOWS with Bill Withers
KEEP THAT SAME OLD FEELING
Musicians:
Joe Sample - Keyboards
Wayne Henderson - Trombone
Stix Hooper - Drums
Wilton Felder - Saxophone
Larry Carlton - Guitar

mysterysinger
04-27-2013, 08:03 AM
Also well worth a listen is Randy Crawford's "Now We May Begin" album which has the Crusaders stamp all over it including her massive hit "One Day I'll Fly Away".
http://www.discogs.com/Randy-Crawford-Now-We-May-Begin/release/1655115

mysterysinger
04-27-2013, 08:28 AM
With regard to a recent post [[if the link still still works) I'm also not convinced that the musos here are not members of the Crusaders because the vocalist is definately Randy Crawford on the Jobete acetate.
http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?8680-Jobete-Acetate-on-ebay-quot-Reach-In-Me-quot-unknown&highlight=acetate

Ngroove
04-27-2013, 06:06 PM
STREET LIFE with Randy Crawford
PUT IT WHERE YOU WANT IT
SOUL SHADOWS with Bill Withers
KEEP THAT SAME OLD FEELING
Musicians:
Joe Sample - Keyboards
Wayne Henderson - Trombone
Stix Hooper - Drums
Wilton Felder - Saxophone
Larry Carlton - Guitar

Please, I do not appreciate the patronization.

Yes, I have known "Street Life" as a song, but mostly as "Randy Crawford".

I have heard around the name "Crusaders" only vaguely, here-and-there; but momentarily, while I was lookin' at it, the cover was still doodles; I could not tell if it was R&B, Jazz, or Easy-Listening; in a thrift store whose record section is 99.9% easy listening.