PDA

View Full Version : Supremes Singles Collection - Some Things

test

thommg
04-20-2013, 07:07 PM
After spending a week with Martha & The Vandellas and the Four Tops Singles Collection, I went back to The Supremes. Why did I never notice the enhanced background vocals in Some Things You Never Get Used To? Seriously! Imagine my surprise when I suddenly heard quite loudly [[around 24 seconds in) "Another Day". I don't recall ever hearing that before. I checked it against the initial cd release of Love Child and those vocals are mixed way down. With all these various Motown mixes, I guess you just hear new things every day!

supremester
04-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Funny you should mention this as my bud was just saying last night that he heard a new word in the bg of Beachwood on a budget CD and that all these years he thought it was "Not like the lads, who's in the past......" instead of "the last" - which he finally heard on the Meet Box set.

thanxal
04-20-2013, 09:22 PM
I'd love to have a set of the hits mixed like My World on the IHAS Deluxe Edition. Mary and Flo/Cindy/Andantes turned up real loud. I love songs where the voices are well blended. Diana is a great lead singer, but it would be nice to hear more of a group mix. Just an FYI George, Harry and Andy.

Edit: The Composer sounds much faster than I've ever heard.

thommg
04-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Edit: The Composer sounds much faster than I've ever heard.

I went back and listened and it does seem faster. The version on the cd of Cream of The Crop is about 6 seconds longer and I don't think it's the fade.

Sotosound
04-22-2013, 01:45 AM
This is possibly about you hearing the mono single mixes as opposed to the more widely available stereo mixes.

The backing lyric "Another day" is more prominent in the mono single mix and "The Composer" was sped up for single release.

ejluther
04-22-2013, 07:59 AM
I think that's probably right - the mono mixes usually seem to have a lot more punch all around to my ears...