PDA

View Full Version : A Laura Lee Question...

test

splanky
04-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Been listening to Brenda and The Tabulations and the underated Laura Lee
for much of this afternoon and have always wondered who were the backing musicians and singers on Laura's Hot Wax and Invictus recordings. This has been bugging me for a long time. Did HDH have a house band?
I could swear I hear some moonlighting Funks and what sounds like
Dennis Coffey on some of this stuff, hell most of it. Also, does anyone know who the female Tabulations were?; I know the males.Or what women backed Brenda on her output where the background is obviously
not men?...Just thought I lay these two queries out there....

Kamasu_Jr
04-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Telma Hopkins, Joyce & Pam Vincent, Ullanda McCullough and Rock Wilson WERE some of the background singers on some of Ms. Laura's INVICTUS recordings, especially Women's Love Rights - the album. Some of the Funks [[Dennis Coffey) played on some of those early Invictus sessions. Someone like TheBoyfromCrosstown probably knows.

no_place_like_motown
04-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Been listening to Brenda and The Tabulations and the underated Laura Lee
for much of this afternoon and have always wondered who were the backing musicians and singers on Laura's Hot Wax and Invictus recordings. This has been bugging me for a long time. Did HDH have a house band?
I could swear I hear some moonlighting Funks and what sounds like
Dennis Coffey on some of this stuff, hell most of it. Also, does anyone know who the female Tabulations were?; I know the males.Or what women backed Brenda on her output where the background is obviously
not men?...Just thought I lay these two queries out there....

Splanky,

In late 1970, the Tabulations became all female when Pat Mercer and Debra Martin replaced the former male members of the group.

daddyacey
04-15-2013, 01:55 AM
"Did HDH have a house band?"

I found in the liner notes of SEQEL's 1999 CD release ,"INVICTUS CLUB CLASSICS" that , "HOT WAX main studio band was McKinley Jackson's Politicians."

MIKEW-UK
04-15-2013, 05:17 AM
Tony Newton on bass. Ray Parker also did a lot of the guitar..

splanky
04-15-2013, 07:28 AM
Thanks for all of the responses, guys. I have to do some more research on the musicians and singers mentioned. no place, thanks for the info on Pat Mercer and Debra Martin. I think I
remember reading something like that somewhere years ago but I always wondered if that
meant as far as touring. I hear girls on earlier recording, even the charting When You're Gone
from 1968. Love that sound...

no_place_like_motown
04-15-2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks for all of the responses, guys. I have to do some more research on the musicians and singers mentioned. no place, thanks for the info on Pat Mercer and Debra Martin. I think I
remember reading something like that somewhere years ago but I always wondered if that
meant as far as touring. I hear girls on earlier recording, even the charting When You're Gone
from 1968. Love that sound...

Splanky, you're correct. There are female vocalists on some of Brenda's pre-1970 recordings.

daddyacey
04-15-2013, 02:45 PM
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/mckinley-jackson-mn0000397419

http://faac.us/adf/messages/178308/177265.html?1218040088

nosey
04-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Laura Lee's version of Crumbs Off The Table is pure funk! Also @ 1966 Brenda asked my friend, Shirley to join her group but I talked Shirley out of it saying "She ain't going to be nothing and besides, you're a lead singer yourself." WHO KNEW!

rrussi
04-17-2013, 02:10 PM
As far as I recall the Tabulations were the backing band; not singers.
Anyone else? Did anyone see Brenda & the Tabs perform?

reese
04-17-2013, 04:06 PM

I saw them sing RIGHT ON THE TIP OF MY TONGUE on tv when I was a little kid. I assumed the female backups were the Tabulations. That's why I was confused later when I saw older publicity pictures of the group and there were male members.

splanky
04-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Nosey, have you seen this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ57WztP6IE

I watched it a few years back but could never find more footage. I guess this was from some
show where they lip-sync'ed their hit...

nosey
04-19-2013, 09:35 AM
I saw them at the Uptown @ 1967 with my girl Shirley and the rest of the crew. Let's just say that was a looong walk home as I was cussed out by Shirley. She was saying, "I could have been a Tabulation!" LOL

Splanky, my youtube isn't working yet. Hopefully, I'll view it at my cousin's house later next week.

phil
04-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Here is another clip, looking like a "semi-live" one :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihvjssCPUZQ

Acording to the liner note of their second LP the Tabulations were Maurice Coates [[organ), Eddie Jackson [[guitar), Jerry Jones [[drums), then rejoined by Bernard Murphy [[bass), all from Philadelphia.

I love Brenda's voice, here is my favorite "Oh Lord, What Are You Doing To Me" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PATpF8SM6z8

nosey
05-02-2013, 12:50 PM

Hi Randy, I'm just seeing this. In 1966, my friend Shirley and Brenda were working together at Bayuk's Cigar Factory in Philly and Brenda overheard her singing and asked her to join her group.

Soul Sister
05-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi Nosey,
Brenda did a great job on Big Maybelle's "Oh Lord What Are You Doing To Me", but if you haven't heard Maybelle's gem, check it out, she'll blow your mind!

:cool:,
S.S.