PDA

View Full Version : Bobbie Lee: Funk SISTER?

test

JL2648
04-14-2013, 01:43 PM
I found this clip of the Tempatations recording at Hitsville of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcA2-tpIpJw

I couldn't help but notice the female musician. According to the comments, this is Bobbie Lee on the conga. I've never heard of her. Per the comments she seems to have been forgotten. Does anyone know her story?

As a side note, I didn't think the musicians and band would be in the Snakepit at the same recording session. That being the case I assume this clip is either a rarity or at least somewhat staged.

Jeff

ralpht
04-14-2013, 02:17 PM
You're thinking of Bobbie Hall who was in demand for many of the outside Motown sessions taking place in Detroit. When Bongo Eddie began slipping, Motown brought her in to do Motown sessions.

The above clip is strictly promo. No sessions were actually done the way shown in the video. It was probably done for some TV show or whatever.

JL2648
04-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Ralph, good info, thanks. So did she ulitmately become a Motown employee, like the Funks? I imagine she had to have some pretty thick skin working with all male musicians, especially in that era. Or maybe they took good care of her?

Jeff

ralpht
04-14-2013, 04:49 PM
No she was never a Motown employee, but then, either were the Funks officially. Berry just had them on a special payroll to discourage them from playing outside dates. It never really worked since most of the guys were pulling indie sessions besides Motown sessions.

The one thing about male musicians...if you happen to be a woman but are good at what you do, as Bobbie is, they accept you with open arms.

JL2648
04-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Ralph, so would Bobbie be considered a legitimate part of the Funks? If so, how come she has received no attention [[at least to my knowledge)? Good to know about the "open arms" part.

Jeff

ralpht
04-14-2013, 09:56 PM
I think simply because she wasn't around all that long. She sort of came in late in the game, as the Detroit music scene would be on the verge of a fading era. Consider Babbitt, who came into the Funks a little later than most, was still there long enough and make his mark as a very credible player. He became a good fit. Same could be said for Dennis Coffey. A little late in that scene but not enough to have still had a chance to contribute to what was so good about that group of musicians.

Believe me jeff,
In spite of all I have said, Bobbie Hall had a ton of respect from all of us involved in the recording scene in Detroit.

imnokid
04-15-2013, 02:07 PM
she did lots of sessions and tours. that's her with Bill Withers at Carnegie Hall

JL2648
04-15-2013, 06:55 PM
I found this:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Bobbye+Hall?noanv=1

Between this site and Wiki, she was involved with an extensive list of luminaries.

I really enjoy learning about those that did not receive their proper notoriety at Motown. Bobbye certainly qualifies.

I wish I hadn't butchered her name in the subject line of this thread. So much for relying on the commentary at youtube.

Jeff