PDA

View Full Version : Q: What's your definition of THE MOTOWN SOUND?

test

Methuselah2
04-13-2013, 11:34 PM
On the eve of the opening of MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL, what exactly is The Motown Sound?

Here's one attempt to explain it:

http://docsonic.hubpages.com/hub/What-Is-The-Motown-Sound

Another on what is was about and how it would be shown:

http://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/9901/motown.html

And, finally, how it was shown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REqoO5FKZDw

So, what's your definition of The Motown Sound?

drewschultz88
04-14-2013, 02:46 AM
I'm sure it's been seen a million times, but the piece by piece part of this video is one of my favorite moments I've ever seen documented. I agree with Uriel - if you're looking for a sound that connects the different artists, producers, arrangers, and writers, the formula was the musicians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIxLdY8B5l0

Methuselah2
04-14-2013, 02:55 AM
That's the perfect clip, Drew. Thanks so much for adding it.

P.S. Are you the great drummer Drew Schultz whose terrific Funk Bros. drumming video tribute/demo I recently posted here on the Forum? I bet that's you. You're exceptionally talented. And you certainly know The Motown Sound.

Ngroove
04-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Q: What's your definition of THE MOTOWN SOUND?
A. HAPPY, Feel-Good music, that transcends musical trends, stands the test of time, brings the "Young" in us in "Sound of Young America" as well as "Sound of Young World". I'm sure, even a hundred years from now, there will still be people anywhere humming "Sugarpie, Honeybunch", and do the Temptations walk on "Ain't Too Proud To Beg".

thomas96
04-14-2013, 01:00 PM
That's the perfect clip, Drew. Thanks so much for adding it.

P.S. Are you the great drummer Drew Schultz whose terrific Funk Bros. drumming video tribute/demo I recently posted here on the Forum? I bet that's you. You're exceptionally talented. And you certainly know The Motown Sound.

Yeah that's him. You should check out his band-- The Funk Machine.

"The Motown Sound" is a made up concept in my opinion. A lot of people who don't know Motown very well will call any R&B/Soul from the sixties "Motown." I recently went to a record store and they had a Motown section... In it were Aretha Franklin, the O'Jays, The Spinners, The Supremes, Gladys Knight & the Pips [[with albums that weren't on Motown), and many other artists that never stepped foot in Hitsville. I agree with Drew though, that video really sums up "the Motown Sound." It's a connection between the musicians, songwriters, arrangers, producers, technicians, and singers that blends so well together, and creates a unique sound that will never be repeated again.

drewschultz88
04-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm working on a few more Motown-related projects, I'll keep you posted!

JL2648
04-17-2013, 09:57 AM
I recently went to a record store and they had a Motown section... In it were Aretha Franklin, the O'Jays, The Spinners, The Supremes, Gladys Knight & the Pips [[with albums that weren't on Motown), and many other artists that never stepped foot in Hitsville.

A big-time pet peeve of mine is those that believe or just assume that Aretha Franklin was a Motown artist. And this belief appears quite prevalent right here in Detroit.

Jeff

tjl
04-17-2013, 11:05 AM
To me, a big part of Motown's magic is hearing sad songs that just can't help but make you feel happy; In My Lonely Room, What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted, Tracks Of My Tears, I Heard It Through The Grapevine, It's The Same Old Song, You Keep Me Hanging On, Keep On Loving Me, I'll Always Love You, Too Strong To Be Strung Along, You've Lost The Sweetest Boy, A Place In The Sun, Baby Don't You Go, and so many more.

And happy dance songs that always make you smile; Mickey's Monkey, Going To A Go-Go, It's A Good Feeling, My Love Is Your Love Forever, I'll Be Doggone, Take Me Where You Go, Something About You, I Get A Feeling, Sweet Thing, You Can't Hurry Love, You Need Love Like I Do, Don't You.

So Motown to me - - is a feeling of hope, desire, heartcahe, and potential in all of us....

R. Mark Desjardins
04-17-2013, 01:52 PM
I have a wonderful experience to share about my definition of "The Motown Sound." I was 16 years old and as a "teen reporter" was allowed to attend a news conference in Montreal, Canada for Diana Ross & The Supremes before they were to perform six shows at the Expo Theatre [[Expo '67, two concerts an evening over three nights.

Cindy Birdsong had recently joined the group, but she and Mary Wilson were not present at the press conference. Being so young, I was pushed aside and stood on the sidelines. At some point, some DJ's were given a few minutes one on one with Diana, seated on a folding chair. Top quality portable tape machines were in evidence, which I later learned were called "Uhers" or something close to that name. Being somewhat bold, and realizing it may be my only chance to get something "important" for my "reporting", I crouched down as close as I could decently get between one Dj and Diana. The DJ asked, "Diana how would you describe the Motown Sound? Diana hesitated for a moment and went "....ummm" and I boldly, without a second thought started humming out a drum beat and making wild gestures with my hands as if I were beating on drums.

The hapless DJ shot a look of fire in my direction as if I were ruining his short time with Diana. She looked at me, winked in total agreement, snapped her fingers and laughed stated, "that's it, that's it, that's it!"

Say what will one will about "Missy Ross" and her "Diva" ways, she won my heart that day and I will never forget that magical moment when we connected!

edafan
04-17-2013, 06:44 PM
The funk brothers

Methuselah2
04-17-2013, 09:01 PM
To me, a big part of Motown's magic is hearing sad songs that just can't help but make you feel happy; In My Lonely Room, What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted, Tracks Of My Tears, I Heard It Through The Grapevine, It's The Same Old Song, You Keep Me Hanging On, Keep On Loving Me, I'll Always Love You, Too Strong To Be Strung Along, You've Lost The Sweetest Boy, A Place In The Sun, Baby Don't You Go, and so many more.

And happy dance songs that always make you smile; Mickey's Monkey, Going To A Go-Go, It's A Good Feeling, My Love Is Your Love Forever, I'll Be Doggone, Take Me Where You Go, Something About You, I Get A Feeling, Sweet Thing, You Can't Hurry Love, You Need Love Like I Do, Don't You.

So Motown to me - - is a feeling of hope, desire, heartcahe, and potential in all of us....

Tjl - I've seen you on TV on a number of your sensational PBS shows and each time you discuss the magic of Motown, it's always so clear by what you have to say and the glow in your eye that the magic certainly lives on in you. Actually, not just lives on--it thrives! And what you produce contributes so much to that end. All of your efforts, in fact, are so greatly enjoyed and appreciated. Even if your shows didn't include the music and the performers, what you always have to say and how you say it gets the complete effect right across. I find it immediately recognizable. Joyous and illuminating. Undeniable. I thank you for all of that. The magic has always been in the grooves, and in those who have always grooved to it. And so unmistakably show it.

arrr&bee
04-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Great songwriting like no others in that era,yes i know about the brill building as well as the great writing of curtis mayfield,but for consistancy nobody could touch the berry gordy factory of hitmaking,we often discuss how certain artist seem to have a sameness to thier sound but very few motown songs had that sameness,especially after the early sixties,even the sequel songs as i like to call them didn't sound alike...my girl-my baby...come round here-baby,baby don't cry,motown songs told a story and very seldom repeated the same verses...that's what motown is to me.

chidrummer
04-18-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm with Drew and edafan on this one with one addition, the songwriters.

Methuselah2
04-18-2013, 04:20 PM
I have a wonderful experience to share about my definition of "The Motown Sound." I was 16 years old and as a "teen reporter" was allowed to attend a news conference in Montreal, Canada for Diana Ross & TheI Supremes before they were to perform six shows at the Expo Theatre [[Expo '67, two concerts an evening over three nights.

Cindy Birdsong had recently joined the group, but she and Mary Wilson were not present at the press conference. Being so young, I was pushed aside and stood on the sidelines. At some point, some DJ's were given a few minutes one on one with Diana, seated on a folding chair. Top quality portable tape machines were in evidence, which I later learned were called "Uhers" or something close to that name. Being somewhat bold, and realizing it may be my only chance to get something "important" for my "reporting", I crouched down as close as I could decently get between one Dj and Diana. The DJ asked, "Diana how would you describe the Motown Sound? Diana hesitated for a moment and went "....ummm" and I boldly, without a second thought started humming out a drum beat and making wild gestures with my hands as if I were beating on drums.

The hapless DJ shot a look of fire in my direction as if I were ruining his short time with Diana. She looked at me, winked in total agreement, snapped her fingers and laughed stated, "that's it, that's it, that's it!"

Say what will one will about "Missy Ross" and her "Diva" ways, she won my heart that day and I will never forget that magical moment when we connected!

Great story, Mark. That's a terrific experience to have had. I'm guessing you sang the opening drumbeat of YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE but I could well be wrong. I love that you just went right for it and could sing anything at all. Ross just might have never forgotten it either. But it's so wonderful that you did it and that it registered with her right away. You must have walked away on a cloud.