PDA

View Full Version : Motown: The Musical Opening night attendees

test

revvy
04-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Any speculation as to which Motown stars will be attending opening night? If I lived in NYC, I sure as hell would be hanging around the theater to do some star gazing. Any leaks as to where the after party will be?

jobeterob
04-13-2013, 02:24 PM
There is a post around saying Aretha, Berry, Smokey, Gladys, and Diana......at least.

longtimefan
04-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks for starting a new post for this big event, Revvy. The question to me is will Mary attend! I hope so!!!

no_place_like_motown
04-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks for starting a new post for this big event, Revvy. The question to me is will Mary attend! I hope so!!!

Agreed! Mary did mention that she planned to attend the play when she was on Tavis Smiley's show a few months ago. It would be great if she attends on opening night.

LuvHangOva
04-13-2013, 06:21 PM
I think "Ree Ree" has already been [[on her birthday?) but would be cool if she shows up again for the gala. I hope Diana is there although it will be interesting to see how they handle the logistics of her arrival and exit.

jobeterob
04-13-2013, 07:02 PM
I think "Ree Ree" has already been [[on her birthday?) but would be cool if she shows up again for the gala. I hope Diana is there although it will be interesting to see how they handle the logistics of her arrival and exit.

This is what the article says:

In addition, the reviews are going to be swamped by upbeat media coverage of Sunday night’s opening. The guest list reads like the Songwriters Hall of Fame, albeit the ’60s and ’70s wings: Smokey Robinson, Gladys Knight, Barry Manilow, David Geffen, Aretha Franklin and, that diva of divas herself — Ross, “The Boss.”

I wouldn't be surprised if there is no Diana Ross. If she shows, it will turn the entrance and exit into a gong show.

luke
04-13-2013, 07:02 PM
The NY Post said yesterday Diana and Gladys planning to attend! Hmmm--where does that leave Mary? It also speculated about possible Supreme activity at the Tonys. Hmmmm.

alexgarret
04-13-2013, 11:39 PM
It's probably going to be one of the most celebrated openings ever. I hope Diana attends, but my thought is that she won't because it would draw attention from others. But with Diana, who knows? It's going to be a fun night either way. Reviews will probably suck, but the public obviously loves it, so it's a hit.

JL2648
04-14-2013, 08:01 AM
This Freep article primarily discusses the chances of the musical eventually coming to Detroit but does mention that Smokey, Diana and Stevie are expected at tonight's opener:

http://www.freep.com/article/20130414/ENT04/304140037/Motown-Musical-Broadway-Gordy-Diana

Jeff

alexgarret
04-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Diana is there...

alexgarret
04-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Along with Smokey, Vanessa, Gladys, Sting, Jane Fonda so far

theboyfromxtown
04-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Diana has been seen there already

skooldem1
04-14-2013, 06:30 PM
People on twitter are saying that the crowd went wild when Diana showed up.

alexgarret
04-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Mary is there also

longtimefan
04-14-2013, 07:14 PM
I wonder if we will get a picture of Diana and Mary together? In all sincerity, I pray that they might find peace in their hearts at this season of their lives.

Even if they have a "quiet moment" that none of us ever learns about, they deserve to find joy and purpose in their friendship of long ago and of their mutual legacy.

As one poster on SDF often reminds us, "Let's stay positive."

alexgarret
04-14-2013, 07:16 PM
They [[of course) arrived separately. Hopefully there will be pics of them together at after party. Both looked stunning.

Methuselah2
04-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Photos:

http://www.freep.com/article/20130414/ENT04/130414018/Diana-Ross-Berry-Gordy-among-stars-at-Motown-The-Musical-opening

http://www.gettyimages.com.au/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=166578825&EditorialProduct=Entertainment

http://allgreentometopics.delawareonline.com/photo/06escSacQx52t

JL2648
04-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Detroit News coverage:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130414/ENT09/304140342/From-Diana-Ross-Bono-stars-pack-red-carpet-Motown-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Jeff

luke
04-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Wow Mary and Diana in same room!Great post longtimefan.

skooldem1
04-14-2013, 09:41 PM
According to those in attendance, at the end of the show Diana, Gladys, Stevie, Smokey and Mary Wells [[I'm assuming they mean Mary Wilson) were all brought up on stage with the cast.

thomas96
04-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Did Brian Holland not attend?

marv2
04-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Mary Wilson was in the house!

marv2
04-14-2013, 09:58 PM
...and so was Gladys!

carole cucumber
04-14-2013, 10:03 PM
According to those in attendance, at the end of the show Diana, Gladys, Stevie, Smokey and Mary Wells [[I'm assuming they mean Mary Wilson) were all brought up on stage with the cast.

I'm hoping that is correct- that all 5 were together.
I've looked at 4 different twitters and each person lists the first 4 names as being brought on stage. Each of the 5 legends deserves to be onstage for his/her role in the Motown story.

marv2
04-14-2013, 10:11 PM
and here are Gladys, Stevie, Mary, Diane and Berry onstage together.

carole cucumber
04-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks for posting that . It's good to see on this Sunday [[someday) they were together on stage.

skooldem1
04-14-2013, 10:14 PM
How ironic that the last time Mary and Diana were on stage together was on Motown25 and here they are 30 years later in a scene recreating that moment.

luke
04-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Wow. Thx Marv!!

carole cucumber
04-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Too bad Cindy wasn't able to be there.

marv2
04-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Wow. Thx Marv!!\

You are most welcome!

longtimefan
04-14-2013, 10:20 PM
I hope that the crowd and the fans who have followed Motown and The Supremes feel the importance of this moment, because time passes very quickly. It's the legacy that lives on. I pray this one brief moment in time is a first step in healing for Diana, Mary, and their fans since everything is temporary ... only love endures!

Additionally, I hope that these mature ladies can harken back to the 50's when they were girls and remember the deep value of their friendship and what they accomplished. I recently saw a high school American history book ... and The Supremes were in it!

"Funny how time changes ... Rearranges everything ... Time changes things, it's true."

thanxal
04-14-2013, 10:24 PM
I NEVER thought I would see a photo of Diana and Mary anywhere near each other.
What a fantastic, wonderful, exciting photo.

marv2
04-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Here is another great shot!

luke
04-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Amen Amen!!

luke
04-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Is my mind playing tricks on me again??

carole cucumber
04-14-2013, 10:40 PM
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Diana+Ross+Motown+Musical+Broadway+Opening+qNcGWR1 XWK7l.jpg

alexgarret
04-14-2013, 10:41 PM
So great to see these two great ladies on stage together. Hopefully tonight will end the petty cat fights between the two camps and recognize that both women have a place in history.

carole cucumber
04-14-2013, 10:41 PM
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Diana+Ross+Motown+Musical+Broadway+Opening+_PAdR22 J02Hl.jpg

carole cucumber
04-14-2013, 10:49 PM
http://www.whosay.com/JaneFonda/photos/323391

revvy
04-15-2013, 12:12 AM
WOW! Great to see Diana and Mary even somewhat in proximity to each other.

2 wishes:

1) a shot of them embracing
2) Cindy Birdsong

but hey...I'm taking this and with a smile on my face!

franjoy56
04-15-2013, 01:32 AM
WOW! Great to see Diana and Mary even somewhat in proximity to each other.

2 wishes:

1) a shot of them embracing
2) Cindy Birdsong

but hey...I'm taking this and with a smile on my face!

I am just happpy to see these photos of the two original Supremes on the samee stage together paying homage to the man who started their careers. The Supremes healing has begun. Amen.

jobeterob
04-15-2013, 02:02 AM
NEW YORK — Motown’s memory lane wound its way up the red carpet and into Broadway history Sunday night.

On an evening that testified to the enduring magic of the Detroit-born legacy, an A-list crowd that included Diana Ross, Bono, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson and Sting gathered for the opening of “Motown: The Musical,” as the show vies to become the next Broadway smash.

“This is exciting, huh?” Ross said as she greeted friends on her way into the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre. By intermission, she was dabbing away tears and exchanging hugs with Motown founder and former flame Berry Gordy Jr. after watching their young lives together unfold onstage.

Sunday’s celebrity audience watched a feel-good show that’s brisk and vivacious, with dozens of whirling, twirling musical numbers to punctuate the tale of Motown Records at the hands of Gordy.

Gordy, who wrote and produced the musical, was a focal point out on the red carpet outside the Lunt-Fontanne, festooned in Motown gold. But on a night that drew figures from Jane Fonda to Red Foo to Kathie Lee Gifford, it was Ross who by far drew the biggest screams from the hundreds of fans gathered across 46th Street.

Her former Supremes compatriot Mary Wilson had made her way down the red carpet 20 minutes earlier, voicing her support for Gordy’s Broadway debut — “one of those things where dreams do come true.”

“There are a lot of different sides to a story,” said Wilson. “I’m glad Berry finally got a chance to tell his.”

Straight and safe, “Motown” probably won’t be transforming the dramatic arts. But the show’s three hours offer proud and poignant moments for anyone with an emotional investment in Motown and Detroit history.

“Magnifico,” Spike Lee said at intermission.

“So much fun,” said Sting. “You can’t fail with that music.”

For a Sunday audience that included many of the figures being portrayed onstage, it was often a deeply moving experience.

Motown producer-songwriter Eddie Holland got teary eyed while “reliving the emotions of the greatest experience of my life.”

“It depicts the spirit of the company, the struggles, the camaraderie,” he said. “It relived something that was almost unimaginable to have happened in the first place.”

Pegged as a hit

Three years after the label notched its 50th anniversary, the show is a test of the Motown brand — and a chance to refuel the label’s mythology in a grand new setting.

While critics’ reviews this week will set the show’s reputation in the theater world, consensus among Broadway watchers is that “Motown” is on track to be a hit. Producers and investors are banking millions that the show will become a long-running hit at the Lunt-Fontanne, just around the corner from Times Square.

The story opens at rehearsals for 1983’s “Motown 25” television special in L.A., as Gordy wrestles with the prospect of selling the company and “turning back on a dream.”

From there Detroit is the main setting as the musical flashes back to trace Gordy’s rise amid doubters and civil rights struggles, as Motown and its homegrown stars become the face of black crossover pop.

Much of the story’s drama derives from Gordy’s battles with the strong women in his life: his sister Esther Edwards, business partner Suzanne de Passe and — most important — Ross. Gordy’s mentorship and romance with the Supremes star becomes the show’s pivotal undercurrent.

Brandon Victor Dixon is solid as an approachable, sympathetic Gordy, while Valisia LeKae makes for a dynamic Ross, who grows from coy schoolgirl to powerful diva over the story’s 25-year timeline.

As you’d expect — and hope — the musical numbers are the big highlight, a rat-a-tat-tat run through 55 Motown hits. Sunday’s crowd had boisterous applause for ebullient ensemble numbers such as “Dancing in the Street” and the entrance of a boyhood Michael Jackson, played charmingly by young Raymond Luke Jr.

The show taps many of the best-known touchstones from Motown lore: The $800 Gordy family loan. The barrier-breaking Motortown Revues. The freewheeling quality-control meetings where records got green-lighted or nixed.

For many Detroiters, details such as the Flame Show Bar and disc jockey Tom Clay will prompt knowing nods.

While not every Motown act gets lengthy face time — the show whisks through folks such as the Marvelettes and Martha Reeves — some behind-the-scenes figures become prominent, colorful characters, including talent chief Mickey Stevenson, artist manager Shelley Berger and sales head Barney Ales.

The show might get picked over by Motown zealots on one front and theater purists on another: For the former, there may be too much Gordy; for the latter, too little story.

But with its uplifting energy and barrage of familiar tunes, “Motown” seems designed for a sweet spot that will appeal to tourists and everyday theatergoers craving a shot of nostalgic entertainment.

Show officials are already trumpeting big stats: Every performance sold out during the four-week preview run leading into Sunday night, tallying more than $1 million each week — a first for a show starting cold on Broadway.

Before the stars moved to the Roseland Ballroom for an after-party, a lengthy curtain call closed the show as one by one, Motown stars headed onto the stage to join the cast.

First was a grinning Gordy, followed by Ross, who made a beeline for actress LeKae and enveloped her in an adoring hug — perhaps the biggest endorsement a diva can dole out. It was their first meeting.

• Related: When will 'Motown: The Musical' come to Detroit?

• Related: Meet the cast of 'Motown: The Musical'

The crowd was soon joined by Smokey Robinson, then Stevie Wonder, then Mary Wilson — who pasted a kiss with her fingertips on Ross’s cheek.

Before the guests and cast sang out the night with “Dancing in the Street,” Gordy offered a final thought about his triumphant night:

“All I want to do is thank you for sharing my dream.”

LuvHangOva
04-15-2013, 05:38 AM
Diana mingles briefly at the after party.....

http://www.freep.com/article/20130415/ENT/130415003/Diana-Ross-about-Motown-The-Musical-Proud-moment-for-Detroit

Methuselah2
04-15-2013, 05:59 AM
Great shots, LHO. Thanks for posting. Especially nice to see Valerie Simpson there.

honest man
04-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Goosebumps ,a wonderful moment in times,thanks for feelgood pics,cheers.

Penny
04-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Thank you all for the pictures. I am speechless.

Penny:D

captainjames
04-15-2013, 08:38 AM
AW !!!!!! SUCCESS !!!!
Not because it may or may not be a hit but because so many Motown family came out to Celebrate and embrace. I had not seen Gladys Knight in a while and my my my she looks GOOD !!!! There are lot more of the Motown family that were not caught on Camera.

no_place_like_motown
04-15-2013, 09:04 AM
What wonderful photos! It's so exciting to see everyone together on that stage having a great time. All the Motown ladies looked stunning. Too bad there wasn't a shot of Mary pasting a kiss with her fingertips on Diana's cheek! Motown Forever!!

Roberta75
04-15-2013, 09:22 AM
What great photos and what a night for Mr Gordy and Motown it warmed my heart. Does anybody know if the First lady of Motown Dr Martha Reeves was there last night? i sure hope so. Thank you to all who posted these great photos i am so happy for Mr Gordy.

Roberta

JL2648
04-15-2013, 09:28 AM
AW !!!!!! SUCCESS !!!!
I had not seen Gladys Knight in a while and my my my she looks GOOD !!!! .

I fully agree about Gladys. From the photos I've seen from last night she stands out in terms of beauty and class.

Jeff

marybrewster
04-15-2013, 09:59 AM

Diana Ross, Berry Gordy Jr., Mary Wilson

The Supremes

Methuselah2
04-15-2013, 10:02 AM
That's the shot of the evening!
Thanks Mary.

skooldem1
04-15-2013, 10:11 AM
That's the money shot.

Methuselah2
04-15-2013, 10:30 AM
In the photo, above:

Diana's expression seems to suggest to me:
"Take the picture. I'm here. I'm smiling nicely. I'm doing it. I really am. That's it--act casual. But take the picture already."

Mary's expression makes me think:
"This is fabulous! I'm having a blast! I could stand here all night! Oh, and by the way, I just happen to have 1,000 copies of my "My Supremes" magazine with me. On sale in the theatre lobby now."

And, finally, Berry's expression seems to say to me:
"Well, here it is, 50 years later, and I'm still caught in the middle between them. Please, get the shot. Before all hell breaks loose."

And it is a truly great shot. That it is.

thanxal
04-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Not being a mind reader, I think the three of them together says enough for me to be happy. Stirring the pot just doesn't seem to do it. Not today.

captainjames
04-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Hey Mary that is the da bomb shot and you brought it to us.
I am missing Flo now !!!

The Supremes

luke
04-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Methus I thought that was hysterical and you ended with what a nice photo it truly is!

no_place_like_motown
04-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Hey Mary that is the da bomb shot and you brought it to us.
I am missing Flo now !!!

Thanks MaryB. Great pic. And Captain, Flo was there - in spirit and she was smiling! :)

luke
04-15-2013, 11:27 AM
http://greginhollywood.com/snapped-diana-ross-and-mary-wilson-on-the-same-stage-at-opening-night-of-motown-on-broadway-83537 Even Jane Fonda interested!

jobeterob
04-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Great catch MaryB. Well done.

theboyfromxtown
04-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Mr Gordy still has what it takes to get these ladies together.

Awww.

Roberta75
04-15-2013, 12:07 PM

The Supremes

What a great photo marybrewster. Diane Ross and Mr Gordy and Mary Wilson all look like a trillion bucks.

Thanks for sharing.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

jobeterob
04-15-2013, 12:29 PM

Mary places a kiss on Diana's face. From Andy's Facebook.

no_place_like_motown
04-15-2013, 01:36 PM
What great photos and what a night for Mr Gordy and Motown it warmed my heart. Does anybody know if the First lady of Motown Dr Martha Reeves was there last night? i sure hope so. Thank you to all who posted these great photos i am so happy for Mr Gordy.Roberta

Here you go, Roberta. I believe this pic is from family night last week.

thanxal
04-15-2013, 01:53 PM

Priceless.

Roberta75
04-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Here you go, Roberta. I believe this pic is from family night last week.

Oh thank you my dear. this photo is beautiful of Mr Gordy and Dr Reeves. Martha looks real pretty and young and happy and Mr Gordy is glowing.

Roberta

Roberta75
04-15-2013, 02:15 PM

Oh that is real real sweet. i've always know in my heart that Diane and Mary love each other.

Thank you Roberta

JL2648
04-15-2013, 02:16 PM

The Supremes

Poor Berry looks like he is caught in a vice.

Jeff

Roberta75
04-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Does anyone know if former Supreme barbara Martin was at the premire last night>?

Roberta

longtimefan
04-15-2013, 02:35 PM
I cannot find Andy's FaceBook page??? Are there other pictures on there?

jobeterob
04-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Andy has quite a few pictures from last week's event. He has some from last night as well. He was going to add some names to the pictures of the earlier event.

He is on FB under Andrew Skurow or Andy Skurow.

honest man
04-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Diana and Mary ,honeys you are terrific,love it. cheers.

stopinthenameoflove
04-15-2013, 04:59 PM

The Supremes

Amazing pic! Thanks for posting!

jobeterob
04-15-2013, 05:30 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50144891n

Methuselah2
04-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Methus I thought that was hysterical and you ended with what a nice photo it truly is!

Thanks Luke. Just me jokin' it up. Or, at least, tryin' to. Diana, Berry, & Mary sure know how to work the camera. All very beautiful.

luke
04-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Yes Mehtus, workin the camera--very nice. I cant find pics on Andys facebook pg either--not the one above anyway.

smark21
04-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Anohter pic of Diana and Mary together.

revvy
04-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Another pic of Diana and Mary together.

Oh Cindy, where were you when we needed you? Then I could die in peace!

skooldem1
04-15-2013, 09:15 PM

The Supremes

This is really an awesome picture. All 3 look healthy and happy, which is a good thing considering so many of our legends are no longer with us, or in poor health.

thisoldheart
04-15-2013, 09:21 PM

Mary places a kiss on Diana's face. From Andy's Facebook. it looks more like mary is giving the boss a big fat slap!

luke
04-15-2013, 09:54 PM
http://www.contactmusic.com/photo/diana-ross-mary-wilson-curtain-call-for-motown-the-musical_3607029

luke
04-15-2013, 10:00 PM
http://www.contactmusic.com/photo/gladys-knight-stevie-wonder-berry-gordy-mary-wilson-diana_3607028

alexgarret
04-15-2013, 10:08 PM
That is a GREAT pic - thank you.

marv2
04-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Here's a nice one.......Diana Ross, Berry Gordy, Mary Wilson and Rev. Jesse Jackson

franjoy56
04-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Anohter pic of Diana and Mary together.

I thought I saw everything when I saw the photo of Diana, Berry and Mary and then you spring this fabulous photo on me, like I said the healing of the two original Supremes has begun, and I am sure Florence Ballard is smiling down from above on this moment.

alexgarret
04-15-2013, 11:04 PM
This...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llP7_LE8-9s&feature=youtu.be

Methuselah2
04-15-2013, 11:57 PM
The beauty and joy and excitement of all these Ross/Wilson photos really seem to point to one thing--

the sheer beauty, real joy, and intense excitement it would be to see them re-united in performance on-stage, along with Cindy Birdsong.

thomas96
04-16-2013, 12:03 AM
The beauty and joy and excitement of all these Ross/Wilson photos really seem to point to one thing--

the sheer beauty, real joy, and intense excitement it would be to see them re-united in performance on-stage, along with Cindy Birdsong.

I agree. A Supremes reunion tour would be fantastic for everyone involved and fans would be overjoyed.

Kamasu_Jr
04-16-2013, 12:53 AM
I don't want to read too much into a couple of photos. These photos could be the only reunion we will see. These women are almost 70 and didn't someone mention Cindy Birdsong was not in good health?

revvy
04-16-2013, 01:55 AM
More celebs in attendance:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/stars-turn-en-masse-motown-439769

revvy
04-16-2013, 01:58 AM
Even more pics. Stop me! I'm like a kid in a candy store!

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Coverage-MOTOWN-THE-MUSICAL-Cast-Parties-After-the-Show-20130415

revvy
04-16-2013, 02:10 AM
I don't know how much more I can take!

http://broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=490413

lakedistrictlad1
04-16-2013, 02:47 AM
You just know that Diana - Berry - Mary picture is going to become one of those 'signature' Motown pictures for years to come. Seeing that this morning has put a smile on my face for the day.

nathanj06
04-16-2013, 07:42 AM
Phenomenal!

blueskies
04-16-2013, 08:03 AM
In waking up to a surreal world this morning....nice to see Mary and Diana together.

ejluther
04-16-2013, 08:48 AM
it looks more like mary is giving the boss a
big fat slap

Ha! I thought the same thing but, thankfully, that's just evidence that photos can lie, right? And as for another post further up - a Supremes Reunion on The Tonys would be a great idea...

thommg
04-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Oh thank you my dear. this photo is beautiful of Mr Gordy and Dr Reeves. Martha looks real pretty and young and happy and Mr Gordy is glowing.

Roberta

Roberta,
I read that Esosa, the costume designer for the show actually designed Dr. Reeves dress for the opening night. [[Emilio Sosa, who was on Project Runway is Esosa.) He evidently tweeted that Martha sent him a thank you message that made his night!

Thom

thanxal
04-16-2013, 12:07 PM

That is the shared dream of [[almost) everyone here, isn't it? It would make so many people so happy.

revvy
04-16-2013, 12:24 PM
I have a dream. I have a dream that one day Diana, Mary and Cindy will be onstage together holding hands either presenting or accepting an award. I don't believe Cindy is in any shape to perform again, but seeing them together [[even for a pic at an event like the one above) would be enough for most everyone. It doesn't sound that far-fetched, does it? Dear Cindy, where were you? This may have been the only chance!

thanxal
04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Does anyone have details on how sick Cindy is? I've heard it referred to but was surprised not to see her at the opening night celebrations.

jobeterob
04-16-2013, 01:20 PM

Here is a picture of Cindy Birdsong, from Scherrie Paynes Facebook page, just in the last hour or so. Not sure how old the picture is.

revvy
04-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Great pic! Thanks for sharing. This looks like this might be from Scherrie's recent play in Los Angeles. Since when is Cindy shorter than Scherrie? Cindy was always one of the tallest Supremes. Time is running out ladies. PLEASE get together for a photo shoot before it's too late! That's all we ask.

jobeterob
04-16-2013, 02:20 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2309149/Diana-Ross-positively-glowing-feather-jacket-red-carpet-event-new-Broadway-musical-depicting-rise-Motown.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Lots more pictures.

davidh
04-16-2013, 02:25 PM
i think Cindy is sitting on the back of a chair leaning forward. btw, that is Joyce Vincent on the left.

luke
04-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Id assume Cindy needs/values her privacy.

Roberta75
04-16-2013, 03:38 PM

Can you blame the woman?

Roberta75
04-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Roberta,
I read that Esosa, the costume designer for the show actually designed Dr. Reeves dress for the opening night. [[Emilio Sosa, who was on Project Runway is Esosa.) He evidently tweeted that Martha sent him a thank you message that made his night!

Thom

Martha is pure class thommg and never forget her fans or anyone who does anything for her. She is real gracious and giving and beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with me.

Roberta

revvy
04-16-2013, 03:47 PM
In any event, Cindy looks like a million bucks!

thanxal
04-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Of course. I wasn't asking for the results of medical tests, just if she is sick and how sick.

carlo
04-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Been smiling for days about the Diana and Mary reunion! A reunion for the history books! :) Hopefully the bickering and sneering fans will finally be able to take a hint.

marv2
04-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Been smiling for days about the Diana and Mary reunion! A reunion for the history books! :) Hopefully the bickering and sneering fans will finally be able to take a hint.

Some said that it would never happen. I knew it would.......

skooldem1
04-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Great video on the red carpet at BET.com
There is an annoying video on the right side of the screen that you will have to pause so that it doesn't play at the same time.

http://www.bet.com/news/celebrities/2013/04/16/star-packed-red-carpet-for-motown-the-musical.html

jobeterob
04-16-2013, 08:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcVYrI8Pk0s

There was another Supremes reunion we all missed; watch this video til the end.

And doesn't Gladys look great these days; she looks better now that 15 years ago.

skooldem1
04-16-2013, 08:48 PM
I have read reports that Diana was so touched during the performance that she could be seen wiping her eyes and hugging Berry. In the interviews I have seen, she was very excited to get to see it. When she saw it she said she loved it. Remember all that talk that she wouldn't like it and that she wouldn't go see it?

smark21
04-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Here's a bunch of pics from Curtain call Sunday night

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Coverage-Music-Legends-Join-MOTOWN-THE-MUSICAL-for-Opening-Night-Curtain-Call-20130415#

revvy
04-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Didn't anyone think to invite Cindy or any of the Jackson clan to represent Michael? I heard Suzanne DePasse was in attendance, but there doesn't seem to be any pics of her, either. Maxine Powell would have also been a lovely addition. She was also very instrumental in the development process.

skooldem1
04-16-2013, 09:43 PM
I saw a picture of Suzanne.

jobeterob
04-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Incredible number of pictures in the article listed by Smark above. Basically shows each of the Motown stars brought on stage after the show.

Roberta75
04-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Didn't anyone think to invite Cindy or any of the Jackson clan to represent Michael? I heard Suzanne DePasse was in attendance, but there doesn't seem to be any pics of her, either. Maxine Powell would have also been a lovely addition. She was also very instrumental in the development process.

The Jackson family are in court in court in LA trying to squeeze some money out of AEG and Suzane De Passe was there. Mrs Powell is almost 90 years old and may not be fit to travel or stay up late. She look good last time I saw a video of her a few weeks ago but that dont mean she's fit to travel to New York and stay up till midnight. I bet you Cindy was invited but she may not be fit to travel either. you seem real intent to turn this thread sour. Why?

Roberta

jillfoster
04-16-2013, 10:03 PM
The Jackson family are in court in court in LA trying to squeeze some money out of AEG and Suzane De Passe was there. Mrs Powell is almost 90 years old and may not be fit to travel or stay up late. She look good last time I saw a video of her a few weeks ago but that dont mean she's fit to travel to New York and stay up till midnight. I bet you Cindy was invited but she may not be fit to travel either. you seem real intent to turn this thread sour. Why?

Roberta

Roberta, Maxine Powell isn't almost 90... she's 96.

revvy
04-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Roberta, you can't be serious? It's pretty clear now that YOU'RE the troublemaker on this site. By the way, this is MY thread! In another area, the Sunday show starts at 3 pm, so my guess is Mrs. Powell wouldn't be retired for the night. She also would have enjoyed the show immensely as would Cindy and any of the Jacksons.

Roberta75
04-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Here's a bunch of pics from Curtain call Sunday night

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Coverage-Music-Legends-Join-MOTOWN-THE-MUSICAL-for-Opening-Night-Curtain-Call-20130415#

Great photos thank you for sharing smark21.

Roberta

Roberta75
04-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Roberta, Maxine Powell isn't almost 90... she's 96.

Well lts no wonder the lady cant travel to new York. 96 my goodness what an great lady.

Roberta

Roberta75
04-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Roberta, you can't be serious? I'm beginning to think you're the troublemaker here. By the way, this is MY thread! In another area, the Sunday show starts at 3 pm, so my guess is Mrs. Powell wouldn't be retired for the night.

No dear this is a public thread and I am too full of love and light to argue with you.

Bless you my dear.

Roberta

Roberta75
04-16-2013, 10:10 PM
I wonder if Jean Terrell or Lynda Lawrence or Sherrie Payne or Barbara Martin were at the opening? Anyone know.

Roberta

alexgarret
04-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Revvy -
Your thread on a public site? Guess we missed the copyright symbol. And for the record, Miss Roberta is no trouble maker. Did you miss the memo where Ralph asked that we play nice while he's away?

revvy
04-16-2013, 10:20 PM
What I am emphasizing is that I started this thread, so why would I want to turn it sour as I have been charged? Let's get back to the subject of this thread. Geez!

Roberta75
04-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Your thread on a public site? Guess we missed the copyright symbol. And for the record, Miss Roberta is no trouble maker. Did you miss the memo where Ralph asked that we play nice while he's away?

Thank you dear alexgarret. Revvy may just be overcome with emotion from the beautifull reunion the other night of Diane and Mary. Its all good my dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

marv2
04-16-2013, 10:24 PM

This is Suzanne DePasse

Roberta75
04-16-2013, 10:27 PM
What I am emphasizing is that I started this thread, so why would I want to turn it sour as I have been charged? Let's get back to the subject of this thread. Geez!

Its all good my dear its all good.

Roberta

Roberta75
04-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Of course. I wasn't asking for the results of medical tests, just if she is sick and how sick.

I dont know but someone whom is real close to Cindy posted on facebook that Cindy wasnt well enough to travel to New York. I offer up this prayer for my sister in Christ Miss Cindy Birdsong.

Merciful Lord and Father in Heaven, continue to visit and heal Sister Cindy Birdsong in her time of need and affliction. As you healed the pain between Mary Wilson and Diane Ross on Sunday night I humbly ask that you visit our sister in Christ Miss Cindy Birdsong and deliver her from sickness and pain. I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, your son who died on the cross for our sins.

Amen.

Your faithful servant,

Roberta

revvy
04-16-2013, 10:51 PM
I had a feeling she wasn't well enough to travel. May God bless her. The next time Mary is in Los Angeles, there should really be a photo shoot of the 3 of them to simply close the book on the legacy. When one of them passes, it will be a great keepsake for many.

Penny
04-17-2013, 07:37 AM
I dont know but someone whom is real close to Cindy posted on facebook that Cindy wasnt well enough to travel to New York. I offer up this prayer for my sister in Christ Miss Cindy Birdsong.

Merciful Lord and Father in Heaven, continue to visit and heal Sister Cindy Birdsong in her time of need and affliction. As you healed the pain between Mary Wilson and Diane Ross on Sunday night I humbly ask that you visit our sister in Christ Miss Cindy Birdsong and deliver her from sickness and pain. I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, your son who died on the cross for our sins.

Amen.

Your faithful servant,

Roberta

Roberta-

Your prayer is so beautiful it made me cry. Cindy is the nicest of the Supremes and to think she is too ill to join Mary and Diana. It just breaks my heart.

Penny;)

smark21
04-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Also last summer, it was reported that Mrs. Powell had a stroke and that was why she was unable to attend Mary’s show in Detroit. I’ve read she’s doing better, but she’s 96 years old and it’s too much to ask a 96 year old woman in delicate health to travel to NYC to attend a Broadway show just so morbid Revvy can get a picture. Also, the show didn’t start at 3PM this past Sunday. It started at 6PM. A show is not going to stage its official opening as a matinee.

no_place_like_motown
04-17-2013, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=carlo;160921]Been smiling for days about the Diana and Mary reunion!

So have I, Carlo. :)

David J
04-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Oh Cindy, where were you when we needed you? Then I could die in peace!

You guys had my my day with all those FABULOUS photos from the opening night of the Motown Musical, great see many of the old Motown stars looking fabulous, happy and healthy but the ones that really made my day was the ones of Diana and Mary together [[DEFINITELY THE REUNION OF THE NIGHT:D:D:D), never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would ever see those two so close together again.:D of course some fans would see faults/ flaws in this reunion but the fact that they were actually happy to stand together to have photos taken together is enough for me, cause I tell you guys now, no way did I think I would ever see Diana and Mary on stage together again.

Before this opening I was even doubting that Diana would attend at all, I knew that Mary would be there of course but I really thought that even if Diana attended, no way would she and Mary would be seen together and I am so glad just how wrong I was, I suppose I have read too much into the bickering among Supremes fans over the years [[especially fans of Mary and Diana).

As a long time fan of Diana and [[I am a huge fan of the original Supremes as well) seeing those close photos of Diana and Mary together 40 years later, looking happy, beautiful and healthy really made my day:D [[just a shame that Flo is no longer here and Cindy is not in such a good health), seeing all 4 together would have been a dream come true for me but I am sure Flo is looking down with a smile upon her girls [[Diana & Mary).

Thanks so much once again guys for posting all those FAB photos, hopefully this is the start of the healing process between the two original Supremes and about time too;)

marv2
04-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Also last summer, it was reported that Mrs. Powell had a stroke and that was why she was unable to attend Mary’s show in Detroit. I’ve read she’s doing better, but she’s 96 years old and it’s too much to ask a 96 year old woman in delicate health to travel to NYC to attend a Broadway show just so morbid Revvy can get a picture. Also, the show didn’t start at 3PM this past Sunday. It started at 6PM. A show is not going to stage its official opening as a matinee.

Mrs. Powell was able to travel to Philly for Mary's Gown Exhibit.

thanxal
04-17-2013, 11:06 AM

Amen.

Your faithful servant,

Roberta

Thank you. That's all I asked. Your prayer is beautiful and I appreciate the way you express your concern.

skooldem1
04-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Here is a video of the Diana, Mary, Berry reunion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lYDMm04esk

revvy
04-17-2013, 01:49 PM
That's incredible! Thanks for that video. They all seem to be OK with each other now and that is such a blessing.

revvy
04-17-2013, 01:52 PM
This is Suzanne DePasse

As of late, why does Diana always have this look on her face like she was just force fed a lemon?

thanxal
04-17-2013, 02:42 PM
As of late, why does Diana always have this look on her face like she was just force fed a lemon?
She read your posts on this forum.
I mean, come on. There has been more goodwill here on this thread than ever before. Why spoil it?

Roberta75
04-17-2013, 02:47 PM

You should use all your lemmons and make lemonade dear.

Roberta

Roberta75
04-17-2013, 02:49 PM
She read your posts on this forum.
I mean, come on. There has been more goodwill here on this thread than ever before. Why spoil it?

Exactly thanxal. It really staring to look like Revvy cant enjoy the peace and harmony and joy and happiness that the reunion on Sunday of Diane and Mary has given so many.

Come on revvy just go with the love my dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

Kamasu_Jr
04-17-2013, 06:43 PM
I'm just patting my foot, with my arms folded cross my chest, whistling a tune and waiting to see how long all this peace and love will last.

Roberta75
04-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Thank you. That's all I asked. Your prayer is beautiful and I appreciate the way you express your concern.

You most welcome thanxal. Miss Cindy birdsong has a real special place in my heart.

Roberta

Roberta75
04-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Roberta-

Your prayer is so beautiful it made me cry. Cindy is the nicest of the Supremes and to think she is too ill to join Mary and Diana. It just breaks my heart.

Penny;)

Her Lord and Savior is watching over Cindy Penny. He wont give her any more than she can bear.

You take care of yourself my dear.

Roberta

marv2
04-17-2013, 11:29 PM
What? No Lionel Richie? LOL!!!

alexgarret
04-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Yea! There's the Marv we know and love...

franjoy56
04-18-2013, 12:55 AM
You most welcome thanxal. Miss Cindy birdsong has a real special place in my heart.

Roberta

And while I am truly elated at seeing all of this love between diana, mary and berry, I truly hope that each one of the subjects will recognize how Cindy was a huge part of the Supremes in continuing their legacy, and hope they will check on the girl who was the most gracious of all the Supremes. Cindy we love youl in the name of love.

jobeterob
04-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Between the Alumni Nite and the Opening Nite...........everybody came back.

marv2
04-18-2013, 01:24 AM

I didn't see Lionel Richie or Otis Williams, did you?

marybrewster
04-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Perhaps Sister Cindy is too busy putting the finishing touches on her book "Secrets of a Songbird"?

While it would have been nice to see DMC together, I think things played out exactly like they were supposed to.

jobeterob
04-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Otis was at Alumni Nite as I recall; he had a lot of pictures up on his FB including pictures with Berry Gordy.

Lionel must have been off with Paris somewhere.

marv2
04-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Otis was at Alumni Nite as I recall; he had a lot of pictures up on his FB including pictures with Berry Gordy.

Lionel must have been off with Paris somewhere.

Ok. Were any of the Jackson's there or Brenda Holloway?

marv2
04-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Ok. Were any of the Jackson's there or Brenda Holloway?

Do you know if Miss Ray was even mentioned in the play?

jobeterob
04-18-2013, 06:38 PM
I recall seeing pictures of Janie Bradford, Pat Cosby, some Velvelettes [[maybe all) ~ but not Brenda Holloway.

I read the Jacksons were mostly consumed with the upcoming trial and I did not see any pictures of any Jacksons.

jobeterob
04-18-2013, 06:42 PM
This is who Andy listed as attending on Facebook:

Motown The Musical: Motown Family Alumni night April 5, 2013. Wonderful show! Still needs some fine tuning before opening but the show is really great. I highly recommend that the fans go see it. It was so much fun. The after party was incredible. Thank you Mr. Gordy, Harry Weinger, Brian Drutman, Bruce Resnikoff, Allen Rawls, Stevie Wonder, Chris Clark, Louvain Demps, Jackie Hicks, Abdul Duke Fakir, Claudette First-Lady Robinson, Claudette Robinson, Dennis Edwards, Martha Reeves, Rosalind Lee Holmes, Betty Kelly, Annette L. Helton, Cal Street, Norma Barbee, Millie Gill, Brian Holland, Edward Holland, Timothy D. Bellavia, Janie Bradford, Clay McMurray, Pat Cosby, Karla Gordy-Bristol, Kennedy "Rockwell" Gordy, Dillon Gorman, the talented cast of the musical, and anyone else I forgot to mention here, for a truly amazing and wonderful evening! — with Janie Bradford and 3 others.

jobeterob
04-18-2013, 06:46 PM

Andy's public pictures: Denise Gordy, Raynoma Gordy Singleton, Timothy Bellavia

jobeterob
04-18-2013, 06:47 PM

Louvain Demps & Brian Holland ~ Andy's picture again.

jobeterob
04-18-2013, 06:48 PM

Andy & Chris Clark - Andy's picture again

jobeterob
04-18-2013, 06:49 PM

Janie Bradford & Claudette Robinson - Andy's picture again

luke
04-18-2013, 06:51 PM
I was thinking Raynoma absolutely should have been there!

Methuselah2
04-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Many thanks, Jobeterob, for posting Andy's great photos. Gosh, really loved seeing the one of Louvain & Brian--very beautiful, very special.

marv2
04-18-2013, 07:42 PM
I was thinking Raynoma absolutely should have been there!

Exactly! I am happy to see that she was there.

skooldem1
04-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Here is a new video of opening night. There is a brief moment of real honesty by Diana Ross and Berry Gordy regarding their relationship. He goes on and on about how special she was to him and how much she inspired him. She then goes on to say "well you should have been nicer". He then replies that he knows that now. He says that she let him know that because she got rid of his ass. LOL. It ends with Diana on stage embracing the woman who portrayed her in the musical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An_r_D2HM5Q

jobeterob
04-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Here is a new video of opening night. There is a brief moment of real honesty by Diana Ross and Berry Gordy regarding their relationship. He goes on and on about how special she was to him and how much she inspired him. She then goes on to say "well you should have been nicer". He then replies that he knows that now. He says that she let him know that because she got rid of his ass. LOL. It ends with Diana on stage embracing the woman who portrayed her in the musical.

A great video that wraps it all together. Thanks.

jeff9nyc
04-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Well lts no wonder the lady cant travel to new York. 96 my goodness what an great lady.
Roberta
Mrs. Powell was in Philadelphia a few weeks ago with Mary Wilson for the opening of her Supremes Costume's exhibition there. She looked great and was quite well enough then.

Roberta75
04-19-2013, 12:27 PM
Mrs. Powell was in Philadelphia a few weeks ago with Mary Wilson for the opening of her Supremes Costume's exhibition there. She looked great and was quite well enough then.

Well maybe Mrs Powell didnt want to go to the theater to see Motown the musical. I'm sure she was invited and im real sure there is no conspiracy as to why she didnt attend. :cool:Its really no big deal.

Roberta

Roberta75
04-19-2013, 01:06 PM
A great video that wraps it all together. Thanks.

Love the video and the Michael jackson IS wearing the vest jillfoster. lol

Roberta75
04-19-2013, 02:33 PM
This photo make me smile from ear to ear. :cool:6547

marv2
04-19-2013, 05:36 PM

She sure was! I've seen video and still pictures of Mrs. Powell with Mary in Philly.

marv2
04-19-2013, 05:44 PM

I did not see any of the REAL Contours, or Kim Weston of anyone from the DeBarge family. I wonder if Scherrie Payne has seen it?

smark21
04-19-2013, 10:51 PM
Have any of the surviving members of the Marvelettes attended either Alumni Night or Opening Night? I don’t think so. Lots of Motown alumni have been victimized by this show. What a damn shame.

marv2
04-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Have any of the surviving members of the Marvelettes attended either Alumni Night or Opening Night? I don’t think so. Lots of Motown alumni have been victimized by this show. What a damn shame.

I wonder if Jimmy Ruffin or Barrett Strong feel victimized or left out?

supremester
04-20-2013, 04:42 AM
Gladys does look great these days. She had minor work done and it looks perfectly natural. If I had the name of her Doc, I'd go to him myself. I love this video - Miss Ross looks so cute in her pink dress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcVYrI8Pk0s

There was another Supremes reunion we all missed; watch this video til the end.

Gladys does look great these days. She had minor work done and it looks perfectly natural. If I had the name of her Doc, I'd go to him myself. I love this video - Miss Ross looks so cute in her pink dress.

And doesn't Gladys look great these days; she looks better now that 15 years ago.

supremester
04-20-2013, 05:00 AM
Wow - this is the best video I've seen. i'm so glad Miss Ross got her line out: "You should have been nicer." EVERYONE involved with the group that I've spoken to - except for Mary - has told me how rough he was on her. How he nagged her incessantly that the entire company depended on her not messing up etc. It made her too uptight to eat. I'm glad she got it out and he admitted it. 33 years after leaving Motown and they still love each other.
Thanks for this!

supremester
04-20-2013, 05:03 AM
I love it too, Robert - there are two Michaels and i;ve seen them both - both are great, but this kid is a phenomenal - he tore the house DOWN on Who's lovin You......

Makes me smile as well, Robert.

This photo make me smile from ear to ear. :cool:6547

supremester
04-20-2013, 05:23 AM
The peeps who said she wouldn't attend don't know her true character at all and show how little insight they have to her thought process. Good thing to keep in mind for their future musings. Fools who think that she could advance her career by being with Berry when all evidence shows clearly he was always about who made the money or confuse sleeping your way to the top of a secretary pool at the bank vs the top of The Hot 100. LOL.

I have read reports that Diana was so touched during the performance that she could be seen wiping her eyes and hugging Berry. In the interviews I have seen, she was very excited to get to see it. When she saw it she said she loved it. Remember all that talk that she wouldn't like it and that she wouldn't go see it?

supremester
04-20-2013, 05:24 AM
Victimized??? How?

supremester
04-20-2013, 05:47 AM
The show was scheduled to begin at 6 - not 3 - and began about 6:15.

there are lots of reasons people don't attend events. Illness, prior commitment, family reunion just to name a few. My guess is that Mrs Powell was invited, but even if she wasn't - people throwing a party don't need to publicize who isn't invited and why. I mention this because 2 different people told me Berry asked Miss Ross if she OK with him inviting Mary to the opening - if not, Mary would be invited to family night and no one would be the wiser. i mean, it's a private party - why "should" anyone be invited unless the host wants them there?

Roberta, you can't be serious? It's pretty clear now that YOU'RE the troublemaker on this site. By the way, this is MY thread! In another area, the Sunday show starts at 3 pm, so my guess is Mrs. Powell wouldn't be retired for the night. She also would have enjoyed the show immensely as would Cindy and any of the Jacksons.

supremester
04-20-2013, 06:14 AM
Not that I saw.

I wonder if Jean Terrell or Lynda Lawrence or Sherrie Payne or Barbara Martin were at the opening? Anyone know.

Roberta

supremester
04-20-2013, 06:30 AM
I hope for those who wish it that they have an onstage reunion, but I don't really want it for myself - although I certainly would attend. I think the same issues could pop up - Diana wanted all Supremes to be invited, Mary only wanted DMC - that might still be a stumbling block. Also, Miss Ross would probably still not want anything to do with Mary's finances and that could lead to trouble again. Diana might not want to do a percentage like last time - maybe she'd want her usual fee, and Mary and the others could have their usual fees etc with the balance divided up equally if there was extra. would that be fair?

I agree. A Supremes reunion tour would be fantastic for everyone involved and fans would be overjoyed.

milven
04-20-2013, 10:12 AM
I didn't see Lionel Richie or Otis Williams, did you?

They all can't be lassoed , hand cuffed and foreced to come. One of the Commodores said that Lionel was invited , but elected not to come.

jillfoster
04-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Berry asked Miss Ross

http://www.eslcafe.com/grammar/using_personal_titles04.html

REDHOT
04-20-2013, 11:10 AM
I would like to say i had the pleasure of goin' to the premiere, Motown The Musical,Opening night,April 14th 2013,it was like a dream,first i'd like to say F the critics that put the play down,saying there was no story line,i'm thinking what play did they [[critics)see,the story is there from the start,to the end,Mr. Gordy even told the truth about The Supremes[[Mary,Cindy,Jean)and Diana in the play,when Diana left The Supremes she was playing The Frontier Hotel,someone was playing Up The Ladder To The Roof,[[in the hotel)Berry told them to turn it off,he didn't want Diana to hear it,because Up The Ladder,was a bigger hit,then Reach Out And Touch[[somebody's hand)the first half of the play everyone called Diana,Diane.there's a great story,in the play,Mr.Gordy let us know about the move to Los Angeles ca,about bein' on the road,about Florence exit from The Supremes,i don't want to give too much away,you just got to see it,what a PHENOMENAL CAST,Valisia LeKae as Diana Ross,Brandon Victor Dixon as Berry Gordy,Charl Brown as Smokey Robinson,Raymond Luke.Jr as Michael Jackson,and young Berry Gordy,and young Stevie Wonder,the whole Ensemble,Singers,Dancers,Choreographers,Scenic Designers,The Orchestration,The Director Charles Randolph-Wright,and the man[[To Be Loved) The Producer Mr.Berry Gordy,the whole cast comes out,at the end,Valisia who played Diana came out last,and then Diana Ross came out on stage,and the audience went crazy,out comes Berry Gordy,Smokey Robinson,Gladys knight,Stevie Wonder,and then Mary Wilson came,and the audience,and myself,can't believe the reunion of the 2 Original SUPREMES Mary Wilson and Diana Ross,this is as good as it get,after the show,i get a chance to talk to Mary,before she heads off to the after party,i also got the chance to go to the after party,and what a party,everyone was there,[[Black Ty)everyone was dress to kill lol,the food and the dranks,was super,i did get the chance to take picture's with The Supremes ladies of the night Mary and Diana,yes it was a Dream come true seein' Mary and Diana together,
i really think the critics are hatin' on Mr Gordy,i don't want to play the race card,but i bet the critics that said the negative things about the play, were white,there,i said it,p.s that little Raymond is a audience lover,when he sang Who's Loving You,we went crazy,no Scherrie Payne has not seen it yet,[[i'm sure she will)
A Night To Remember
Please stay positive

smark21
04-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Not that I saw.

Poor Jean, Lynda, Scherrie and Barbara. They were all victimized by Motown the Musical as they were not asked to attend.

milven
04-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Red Hot , Thank you for your post and sharing your night with us. Would be great if you could share some of your photos with us too.

As far as the critics are concerned, it has nothing to do with race. Some of them are effete snobs and critique too sharply. They are aficionados of the theatre and critique to their own standards. I go to a lot of theatre and usually go to the preview so that my opinion would not be influenced by the critics. I saw Motown in previews with other theatre lovers and they loved it even though they were not familiar with the Motown Story except for the music. I love Motown and I love theatre so I was in heaven during the preview. Yes, I will see it again.

smark21
04-20-2013, 04:40 PM
I would like to say i had the pleasure of goin' to the premiere, Motown The Musical,Opening night,April 14th 2013,it was like a dream,first i'd like to say F the critics that put the play down,saying there was no story line,i'm thinking what play did they [[critics)see,the story is there from the start,to the end,Mr. Gordy even told the truth about The Supremes[[Mary,Cindy,Jean)and Diana in the play,when Diana left The Supremes she was playing The Frontier Hotel,someone was playing Up The Ladder To The Roof,[[in the hotel)Berry told them to turn it off,he didn't want Diana to hear it,because Up The Ladder,was a bigger hit,then Reach Out And Touch[[somebody's hand)the first half of the play everyone called Diana,Diane.there's a great story,in the play,Mr.Gordy let us know about the move to Los Angeles ca,about bein' on the road,about Florence exit from The Supremes,i don't want to give too much away,you just got to see it,what a PHENOMENAL CAST,Valisia LeKae as Diana Ross,Brandon Victor Dixon as Berry Gordy,Charl Brown as Smokey Robinson,Raymond Luke.Jr as Michael Jackson,and young Berry Gordy,and young Stevie Wonder,the whole Ensemble,Singers,Dancers,Choreographers,Scenic Designers,The Orchestration,The Director Charles Randolph-Wright,and the man[[To Be Loved) The Producer Mr.Berry Gordy,the whole cast comes out,at the end,Valisia who played Diana came out last,and then Diana Ross came out on stage,and the audience went crazy,out comes Berry Gordy,Smokey Robinson,Gladys knight,Stevie Wonder,and then Mary Wilson came,and the audience,and myself,can't believe the reunion of the 2 Original SUPREMES Mary Wilson and Diana Ross,this is as good as it get,after the show,i get a chance to talk to Mary,before she heads off to the after party,i also got the chance to go to the after party,and what a party,everyone was there,[[Black Ty)everyone was dress to kill lol,the food and the dranks,was super,i did get the chance to take picture's with The Supremes ladies of the night Mary and Diana,yes it was a Dream come true seein' Mary and Diana together,
i really think the critics are hatin' on Mr Gordy,i don't want to play the race card,but i bet the critics that said the negative things about the play, were white,there,i said it,p.s that little Raymond is a audience lover,when he sang Who's Loving You,we went crazy,no Scherrie Payne has not seen it yet,[[i'm sure she will)
A Night To Remember
Please stay positive

Sounds like a fabulous evening...hope you share your pictures.

luke
04-20-2013, 06:18 PM
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130412/ENT09/304120354 and 3/4 of the Velvelettes at Motown Musical Family Night.

Roberta75
04-20-2013, 06:20 PM
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130412/ENT09/304120354 and 3/4 of the Velvelettes at Motown Musical Family Night.

What happen to the other 1/4. This is real sad.

Roberta75
04-20-2013, 06:24 PM
A Night To Remember
Please stay positive

my dear sweet redhot. I am real happy you got to see Motown the musical. i know you have been real excited about this for a long long time and im delighted you got to see it opening night.

Bless you my dear.

My sincere and fondest regards.

Your friend Roberta

jobeterob
04-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Awesome Redhot. Hope you have some pictures.

supremester
04-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Like Wade Hampton in Gone With The Wind, Miss Ray was not mentioned, but there was no reason to, nowhere to do so and no time, at pushing 3 hours, to introduce yet more characters.

Do you know if Miss Ray was even mentioned in the play?

supremester
04-20-2013, 09:04 PM
I didn't see you there - which door did you use? Can't wait to see your Supreme Diva Reunion pics - are you posting them here? What did they have to say?

A Night To Remember
Please stay positive

REDHOT
04-21-2013, 01:20 AM
No,sorry i will not be postin' any picture's here,my friend told me that Liza Minnelli was there last night,i can't wait for the sound track for the show,Motown The Musical,[[to be released)i'm sure there's a booklet on the show,coming also,Dammmm i got to keep it real,i'm thinking about going to New York to see it again lol.
Please stay positive

jobeterob
04-21-2013, 01:39 PM
http://broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=490937

25 minute interview

skooldem1
04-21-2013, 02:36 PM
That was fantastic.

Roberta75
04-21-2013, 02:49 PM
http://broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=490937

25 minute interview

That was 25 minutes of pure love and joy and im real real happy for Mr Berry Gordy for mr Gordy sure deserves this and the love between Mr Gordy and Miss Diane Ross is beautiful. This musical heal all old wounds and the guy who plays Marvin Gaye can lower this girls lamp any night he want to. Blush blush.

Thank you for this great clip.

Roberta

jobeterob
04-21-2013, 02:51 PM
I noticed Berry called her Miss Ross.

Lowering the lamp must be like pulling the shades!

theboyfromxtown
04-21-2013, 04:44 PM
..and Miss de Passe found the Jackson 5......says Andrea Dora...so I guess it must be true

jobeterob
04-21-2013, 06:39 PM
..and Miss de Passe found the Jackson 5......says Andrea Dora...so I guess it must be true

I noticed that too. It's all in the word "found" and exactly what that means.

Bobby Taylor saw them first, so he found them. But then Gladys found them again and brought them to more attention. Then Suzanne got into making them recording artists so she found them. And then Diana used her name to springboard them so she found them. And then a few people started to get mad! All because they were a hit and some original founders didn't get a nickel or a name out of it.

skooldem1
05-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Star of Broadway's Motown: The Musical, Valisia Lekae, tears up as she is greeted by Diana Ross.

Valisia is clearly emotional while posing for pictures with Diana Ross backstage. It seems that all eyes are on Diana Ross and Valisia Lekae. Everyone seems to be caught up in this special moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHfGh9e5y3E

marv2
05-06-2013, 04:31 PM
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Diana+Ross+Motown+Musical+Broadway+Opening+_PAdR22 J02Hl.jpg

Somethings never really change..............

luke
05-06-2013, 09:39 PM
lol how true! Who is the woman to the right of Gladys?

luke
05-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Pic of Mary, Diana and Gladys on Marys website!