PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question: is that Stevie Wonder on Jermaine Jackson's "You Like Me Don't You"?

test

Ngroove
04-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Am aware, probably not all harmonica-izing is Stevie's, but c'mon, ever since the very start in the very early sixties, his harmonica is as much as recognizably distinctive as his voice. It was the talent that initially blown Berry over that sealed his signing in Motown, nobody can blow it like Stevie!

But then again, who else is more masterfully known, as the “Go-To” for the playing of the harmonica?

Even in the eighties, along with labelmate Temptations on "I Wonder Who She's Seeing Now", who'da knew, Chaka Khan's "I Feel For You"?

As for Jermaine, yes, around the same time, he notably had part in crafting his greatest, still most known hit to this day, "Let's Get Serious". I assume in studio, Stevie also lended his aid in this one too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9eRWkXaPqE

thomas96
04-10-2013, 05:50 PM
On a similar note, is it Stevie on "When She Was My Girl" by the Tops?

thomas96
04-10-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure if this one is Stevie... Every harp bit I've heard Stevie play on has at least a few trills in there. This one doesn't have any. Other than that, it does sound like his playing style. We'll need someone to come along and confirm it one way or another though, since I have no idea.

BayouMotownMan
04-10-2013, 06:32 PM
I don't think that's a harmonica on When She Was My Girl, but is a synthesizer

thomas96
04-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Do you know for sure? I think it could be a melodica. I don't think it's a synth, the way it's played sounds like it's definitely someone blowing. Melodica makes sense, considering every video I've seen of them do it has a melodica player at that part. Maybe I'm wrong though.

BayouMotownMan
04-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Could be Thomas, either way I don't think Stevie is on that recording

midnightman
04-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Nah that's not him.

thomas96
04-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Yeah I've come to that realization now. I'm not even sure if it's possible to play all those notes that quickly on a harmonica! My hopes were too high!

chidrummer
04-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Me suspects that the harp player is Mr. Wonder given that he's playing on I Miss You So on the same album.