PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Apr9, 9P-12M ET:Motown/Invictus and the Detroit Symphony!

test

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Howdy there, Folks. Tonight I'm doing a show that I didn't realize how much I needed to do it until I decided to DO it! As I've paid tribute to the Funk Brothers and more recently the Andantes, a very important element has been left out of "tribute" status [[a whole show's focus)...and that is the Detroit Symphony Strings, who were a most significant part of what made Motown....well, MOTOWN! So tonight we'll focus on not only the important tracks the the Detroit Strings were recorded on for Motown, but also their contribution to Holland Dozier Holland's Invictus/Hot Wax. I also have a very special interview with a Motown alumnus who was very responsible for creating the arrangements used on these Motown gems. And my lovely co-host, Justine, is back because it's our pledge drive...but don't let that steer you away...don't feel compelled to pledge your support unless you really can.
So join me tonight for a tribute to the Detroit Symphony Strings, Gordon Staples, the San Remo Golden Strings...and a very special set of segments that you will kick yourself if you miss...
on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and we are streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org/)
Thanks!
John

R. Mark Desjardins
04-09-2013, 12:54 PM
John;
All the programs you host are special, but this evening's focus sounds especially interesting as so little is known about the input of the Detroit Symphony Strings. Looking forward to spending three hours with you this evening.

sophisticated_soul
04-09-2013, 04:28 PM
"Bombs burst, fireworks, big production thing
I'm talkin' horns and strings, orchestration is my love"

I do love me some strings! And MoTown had great strings. What an excellent idea for a show. I hope we will be getting some MJ mixes that feature the strings. Like your mix of "The Composer" a song I was not that fond of that you made fabulous by featuring the strings. So I guess I'm not too strong to be strung along!;) See you and the gang on the Radiola!:cool:

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 05:40 PM
John;
All the programs you host are special, but this evening's focus sounds especially interesting as so little is known about the input of the Detroit Symphony Strings. Looking forward to spending three hours with you this evening.

Mark...thanks so much....very glad you'll be listening!!

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 05:41 PM
"Bombs burst, fireworks, big production thing
I'm talkin' horns and strings, orchestration is my love"

I do love me some strings! And MoTown had great strings. What an excellent idea for a show. I hope we will be getting some MJ mixes that feature the strings. Like your mix of "The Composer" a song I was not that fond of that you made fabulous by featuring the strings. So I guess I'm not too strong to be strung along!;) See you and the gang on the Radiola!:cool:

Joseph....ahhhhhhhhhhh...those strings!!!! I think that's what hooked me to Motown in the first place....

johnjeb
04-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Oh, so when I saw your other thread this morning I thought you might be discussing legal briefs tonight.

Well, then maybe you can play Motown songs with a legal theme: Law Of The Land, Here Comes The Judge and Ain't No Justice!!!

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Oh, so when I saw your other thread this morning I thought you might be discussing legal briefs tonight.

Well, then maybe you can play Motown songs with a legal theme: Law Of The Land, Here Comes The Judge and Ain't No Justice!!!

Yeah, John....a legal theme! How about "Sweet Sue"?

thomas96
04-09-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm really looking forward to this! Will probably be the highlight of my week..

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm really looking forward to this! Will probably be the highlight of my week..

Thomas....looking forward to your being here...and thanks!!!

sophisticated_soul
04-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Yeah, John....a legal theme! How about "Sweet Sue"?

Or "Can I Get A Witness"?

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 08:06 PM
or Honeycone's "Innocent Til Proven Guilty"

or First Choice's "Guilty"

sophisticated_soul
04-09-2013, 08:13 PM
or "Will Your Lawyer Talk To God?" by Kitty Wells

MotownLover
04-09-2013, 08:19 PM
As usually is the case, sounds like a SUPERB show tonight John! Strings always added that touch that would make a tune stand out to be a winner in my book.

Howard in Long Beach, CA:cool:

Glenpwood
04-09-2013, 08:35 PM
A legal theme week? I Second That Emotion....

But until then I look forward to those strings tonight and our special guest Justine....

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 09:17 PM
As usually is the case, sounds like a SUPERB show tonight John! Strings always added that touch that would make a tune stand out to be a winner in my book.

Howard in Long Beach, CA:cool:

\
Welcome Howard!!!!

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 09:18 PM
A legal theme week? I Second That Emotion....

But until then I look forward to those strings tonight and our special guest Justine....

Howdy Glen P!!!!

sophisticated_soul
04-09-2013, 09:25 PM
This is a great mix of "Stoned Love"!:cool:

Glenpwood
04-09-2013, 09:26 PM
I am so Stoned right now.....

from this extended groove that is....:D

carole cucumber
04-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Johnny,

It is interesting to note that for the following songs from "New Ways But Love Stays" strings were added at Golden World on May 16, 1970 [[somebody sure was busy!!!):
Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
It's Time To Break Down
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Shine On Me
Thank Him For Today

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 10:37 PM
This is a great mix of "Stoned Love"!:cool:

Thank you, baby!

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 10:38 PM
I am so Stoned right now.....

from this extended groove that is....:D

Thank you so much, GLEN!!!!!!

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Howard....thank you so very much!!!!

sophisticated_soul
04-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Bye Justine.:) Drive carefully.

texassoul
04-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Hi John!! I'm really sorry I missed the first 2 hours as I know there was alot of interesting info I've missed out on.......hope all's well with you.

sophisticated_soul
04-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Thank you John, for the only version of "The Composer" I really like. Great job mi amigo!:cool:

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Hi John!! I'm really sorry I missed the first 2 hours as I know there was alot of interesting info I've missed out on.......hope all's well with you.

Mike....welcome....no problem.......Good To See you!

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Bye Justine.:) Drive carefully.

Justine thanks you, Joseph.......

sophisticated_soul
04-09-2013, 11:04 PM
John, didn't you do a mix on "No Matter What Sign You Are" that really brought the strings out? Or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

Glenpwood
04-09-2013, 11:05 PM
It's a much more cinematic piece of music the way you've extended this John, love it!

midnight johnny
So....I would be interested in taking your Detroit symphony strings requests for next week. Please post here....Motown or Invictus....and I will play them next week!! Thanks!

MotownLover
Johnny - OVER THE TOP! SIMPLY SUPREME!!!

:o

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Johnny - OVER THE TOP! SIMPLY SUPREME!!!

:o

Thank you, Howard!!!!!

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Thank you John, for the only version of "The Composer" I really like. Great job mi amigo!:cool:

Aw Shucks....thanks so much, Joseph!!!

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 11:21 PM
John, didn't you do a mix on "No Matter What Sign You Are" that really brought the strings out? Or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

Actually yes, Joseph.....I will play that next week...we don't want to give Diana too much airtime tonight [[*smile)!!! Thanks for remembering!

sophisticated_soul
04-09-2013, 11:26 PM
This is fascinating! In the studio! Good find, John.:cool:

texassoul
04-09-2013, 11:28 PM
This is very cool!

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 11:30 PM
This is fascinating! In the studio! Good find, John.:cool:

Glad you are enjoying it, Joseph!!

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 11:31 PM
This is very cool!

Glad you're liking it Mike!!!!

MotownLover
04-09-2013, 11:41 PM
I know it's kind of late to request a song, but I've always thought "Honey Chile" by Martha Reeves & The Vandellas had a fantastic string arrangement to it which made it very appealing to me.

Howard in Long Beach, CA:D

texassoul
04-09-2013, 11:41 PM
John, have you ever considered doing podcasts of your shows? My UK DJ friends post podcasts of their show every week on FB, complete with playlist. They would love to hear your shows, but the time difference doesn't allow it. That where a podcast [[or "poddy" as they call them) would work so well. It would also allow people like me who are habitually late to hear your entire show. Just a thought.......

texassoul
04-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Luv the strings on your extended version of Marvin & Tammi's "Your Precious Love".

Glenpwood
04-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Just a perfect extension of ANLTRT John, just multiplies the beauty of that string arrangement by 1000.....

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 11:50 PM
I know it's kind of late to request a song, but I've always thought "Honey Chile" by Martha Reeves & The Vandellas had a fantastic string arrangement to it which made it very appealing to me.

Howard in Long Beach, CA:D

Howard....I wished you had said something...I've got it....next week!!!

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Luv the strings on your extended version of Marvin & Tammi's "Your Precious Love".

Thank you..Mike!!

midnight johnny
04-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Just a perfect extension of ANLTRT John, just multiplies the beauty of that string arrangement by 1000.....

Thanks so much Glen!!!

texassoul
04-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Everything Good Is Bad.......top tune!!

sophisticated_soul
04-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Drowning in a sea of strings. What a way to go! Great show John, thanks! Special appearance thank you's to Justine. Thanks everybody, see you next time.:cool:

Glenpwood
04-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Beautiful work as always John, it really is a delight to spend Tuesday evenings with you and the gang! Have a great week!

midnight johnny
04-10-2013, 04:43 AM
Drowning in a sea of strings. What a way to go! Great show John, thanks! Special appearance thank you's to Justine. Thanks everybody, see you next time.:cool:

Thank YOU, Joseph!!! I enjoyed stringing you along!

midnight johnny
04-10-2013, 04:46 AM
Beautiful work as always John, it really is a delight to spend Tuesday evenings with you and the gang! Have a great week!

Glen....thanks so very much! You're right...quite a delight!!!