PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Smokey Robinson & Miracles 50th Anniversary Collection in the works?

test

woodward
04-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Just curious. Since the latest trend is to release 50th Anniversary collections, such as Four Tops, Diana Ross & Supremes, Martha Reeves & Vandellas, and the Temptations, are there any plans to release a 50th Anniversary collection for Smokey Robinson and the Miracles? The packaging and layout on the currently issued collections are very professionally done and informative.

I have heard no mention of a similar set for SR&M. Has anyone else wondered about this or have anyone else heard of a forthcoming release?

marybrewster
04-08-2013, 10:20 AM
My only thought would be that the train has left the station.

With their first singles released in the late 50's/early 60's, it would be more of a 55th Anniversary Collection.....

mowest
04-08-2013, 05:25 PM
While it did not contain every Miracles A & B side, "The 35th Anniversary Collection" was issued by Motown in 1994. A 4-CD box set, it started with "Got A Job" and ended with Smokey's solo, "One Heartbeat" and also included the post-Smokey Miracles' hits. The set was produced by Cary Mansfield and Claudette Robinson.

johnjeb
04-08-2013, 10:12 PM
I think a Miracles set is in the works. If I recall correctly, Harry did mention it on John Perrone's Nightflight show March 19 when the Martha & Tops sets were previewed.

So one can hope maybe later this year or early next. I would also like a Gladys set, as well. Maybe we'll get that elusive Lost & Found CD as a third disc, similar to Martha's set.

RossHolloway
04-09-2013, 09:55 AM
While it did not contain every Miracles A & B side, "The 35th Anniversary Collection" was issued by Motown in 1994. A 4-CD box set, it started with "Got A Job" and ended with Smokey's solo, "One Heartbeat" and also included the post-Smokey Miracles' hits. The set was produced by Cary Mansfield and Claudette Robinson.

Ok, this is news to me. I've always thought that the 1994 box set did contain all of the Miracles A's and B's singles. Do you know what songs were missing? It's hard to believe that all of Martha and the Vandellas albums have been on cd at one point in time, but not all of the Miracles have been. Somethings just wrong with this picture.

reese
04-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Ok, this is news to me. I've always thought that the 1994 box set did contain all of the Miracles A's and B's songles. Do you know what songs were missing? It's hard to believe that all of Martha and the Vandellas albums have been on cd at one point in time, but not all of the Miracles have been. Somethings just wrong with this picture.

Offhand, I don't think the boxed set included COME ON DO THE JERK.

carole cucumber
04-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Ok, this is news to me. I've always thought that the 1994 box set did contain all of the Miracles A's and B's songles. Do you know what songs were missing? It's hard to believe that all of Martha and the Vandellas albums have been on cd at one point in time, but not all of the Miracles have been. Somethings just wrong with this picture.

The 35th Anniversary Collection included some of the early singles pressed on the End and Chess labels . The Complete Motown Singles Collection only included those End and Chess singles that were also released on the Motown or Tamla labels.
Single sides missing from the 35th Anniversary collection that should/would be part of a set like the 50th Anniversary Collections were :
Don't Say Bye-Bye; I Love Your Baby; The Only One I Love; I Can't Believe;
I Can Take A Hint; Such Is Love, Such Is Life; The Christmas Song; Christmas Everyday; Would I Love You; Come On Do The Jerk; Since You Won My Heart; Swept For You Baby; Much Better Off; Give Her Up;
Your Mother's Only Daughter; Darling' Dear; That Girl; Oh Baby Baby I Love You; When Sundown Comes; Flower Girl; With Your Love Came

As the 35th Anniversary Collection was an overview of the career of
the Miracles, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, the Miracles w/ Billy Griffin, Smokey Robinson [[solo artist) including album tracks and previously unreleased tracks, 4 cd's were easily filled. It must have been difficult for the compilers to choose what to include and what to leave off.

tjl
04-09-2013, 11:56 AM
"Would I Love You" - - the greatest ever, not on the set.

But - - I love that set....

RossHolloway
04-09-2013, 03:28 PM
@Carole Cucumber - thanks for that list of songs. I think a complete singles collections is warranted and a complete album collection as well.

Ryon6
04-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Gee, I hope not. I would like to complete the album set as the previously released "Depend On Me: The Early Albums". I would love for that collection to continue with the next set of the Miracles' albums before a 50th Anniversary Collection.

stephanie
04-11-2013, 12:35 AM
Not a huge fan of the Miracles but I have that boxed set and it changed my mind.

Motown4Ever518
04-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Gee, I hope not. I would like to complete the album set as the previously released "Depend On Me: The Early Albums". I would love for that collection to continue with the next set of the Miracles' albums before a 50th Anniversary Collection. Could not agree with you more. The UK 2 For s kind of ended with Four In Blue. Flying High Together, One Dozen Roses, Pocketful of Miracles should be on CD. I have been in touch with my inner Smokey listening to the Solo Albums series. To my aging ears, I find that I don't view Mr. Robinson as the great singer I always thought he was, but one of the greatest stylists, male or female, ever!

Ryon6
04-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Could not agree with you more. The UK 2 For s kind of ended with Four In Blue. Flying High Together, One Dozen Roses, Pocketful of Miracles should be on CD. I have been in touch with my inner Smokey listening to the Solo Albums series. To my aging ears, I find that I don't view Mr. Robinson as the great singer I always thought he was, but one of the greatest stylists, male or female, ever!

I agree with the assessment of Smokey. Not a BIG fan of his solo albums so I thought his earlier work with the Miracles would not appeal to me. After purchasing and listening to the "Depend On Me: The Early Years", I would like to continue the collection. The Miracles with Smokey recorded some wonderful music and the albums are just as good if not better than some of The Four Tops', Martha and the Vandellas' or the Marvelettes' recorded output.

skooldem1
04-14-2013, 04:55 PM
It should be mentioned again, that for the Miracles, we are way past the point of a 50th anniversary compilation. Perhaps a different name is in order.

Motown4Ever518
04-14-2013, 05:57 PM
I agree with the assessment of Smokey. Not a BIG fan of his solo albums so I thought his earlier work with the Miracles would not appeal to me. After purchasing and listening to the "Depend On Me: The Early Years", I would like to continue the collection. The Miracles with Smokey recorded some wonderful music and the albums are just as good if not better than some of The Four Tops', Martha and the Vandellas' or the Marvelettes' recorded output.

As information, the What Love Has Joined Together CD is available on E-Bay and could be yours for $349 - US Dollars. Wowie-Kozowie

Kamasu_Jr
04-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Gee, I hope not. I would like to complete the album set as the previously released "Depend On Me: The Early Albums". I would love for that collection to continue with the next set of the Miracles' albums before a 50th Anniversary Collection.I'm with you on this. There are SR & THE Miracles LPs I'd like to see on disc like Doin' Mickey's Monkey, One Dozen Roses, etc.

honest man
04-15-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm with you on this. There are SR & THE Miracles LPs I'd like to see on disc like Doin' Mickey's Monkey, One Dozen Roses, etc.

Hello im sure MICKY'S MONKEY has been out on a 2 on 1 format,check Amazon

RossHolloway
04-15-2013, 10:39 PM
To be honest, I think I'd rather have Volume 2 of a Miracle's Complete Box Set than a straight singles collection.

Kamasu_Jr
04-16-2013, 01:15 AM
Hello im sure MICKY'S MONKEY has been out on a 2 on 1 format,check AmazonDOIN MICKEY'S MONKEY is available on Amazon.com US as a digital download. Very good!

mysterysinger
04-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Agree that further volumes of Miracles albums on CD would be great - the third volume would have the ones not previously released on CD so far. I would anticipate a Volume 3 set should include "Time Out", "Four in Blue", "What Love Has", "Pocketful", "One Dozen Roses" and "Flying High Together". As for what might comprise a Volume 2, all have been available on CD before, including "Doin' Mickey's Monkey". One exception might be the unreleased "I Like It Like That" but the UK album of that name was essentially a compilation from other albums.

RossHolloway
04-17-2013, 05:12 PM
On iTunes they have Christmas with the Miracles, What Love Has, Time Out For.., Special Occasion and Make it Happen all available for download. But no Mickey's Monkey