PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Earl Van Dyke and Beans Bowles

test

bankhousedave
04-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Just found this amazing footage on YouTube. Had no idea about the Ma Rainey stage show. Anyone know anything more about that? With hindsight the responses to the question about Berry selling Motown are especially poignant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbcfNjtIJQ

midnight johnny
04-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Dave...thanks so much for posting this interview! What a wonderful thing to wake up to as I have my morning coffee!! Much appreciated!
John

bankhousedave
04-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Glad you enjoyed it, Midnight.

midnight johnny
04-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Dave..I finished watching it over an hour ago...and I'm STILL enjoying it!
Thanks again!

theboyfromxtown
04-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Just watched it Dave. Totally agree with what John says. Excellent find.

JL2648
04-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Dave, thank you for sharing this. What interesting commentary on a broad range of topics.

Jeff

thomas96
04-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Thank you so much for this! Made my morning!

marv2
04-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Just found this amazing footage on YouTube. Had no idea about the Ma Rainey stage show. Anyone know anything more about that? With hindsight the responses to the question about Berry selling Motown are especially poignant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbcfNjtIJQ

Dave, thank you for finding this! This brings up some old memories. DBJ use to air on WTVS channel 56 in Detroit. I had not seen any episodes since the 80's. Thank you.

bankhousedave
04-08-2013, 04:13 AM
I was so thrilled to find it.

theboyfromxtown
04-08-2013, 04:22 AM
I was so thrilled to find it.

You can have extra pudding this week -you've earned it! lol

bankhousedave
04-08-2013, 06:21 AM
Then it's all been worth it, John.

snakepit
04-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Met Beans Bowles when I visited Detroit. Met him at a music event that was promoting some kind of jazz event/society, with local Detroiters in attendance .I do remember that the venue had many Detroit singers and artists' name on signs adorning the walls. . He was charming, and happy to talk to us, together with Motown arranger Johnny Allen. Can't recall all the details of our brief talk but got the impression that he had plenty of things to say about Motown and Berry Gordy.......not particularly negative but possibly with an edge...and why not? I think this footage shows that kind of 'feeling' he had...let's say he felt 'overlooked' in the big picture, as so many others would do.
I wish I had known more about him before our meeting......I subsequently read about his Motown history over the years....and I'm sure I would have been more interesting to HIM.
Nice Man

soulwally
04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks for posting Dave. In a way the two guys gave a better insight into Motown and its way of operating than hours of interview footage I've seen before, from the company's more 'visible' employees, ie the singers and top-level producers.
It stands with the Clarence Paul interview link posted on here recently as a true behind the scenes look at Motown

marv2
04-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks for posting Dave. In a way the two guys gave a better insight into Motown and its way of operating than hours of interview footage I've seen before, from the company's more 'visible' employees, ie the singers and top-level producers.
It stands with the Clarence Paul interview link posted on here recently as a true behind the scenes look at Motown

I don't know about Earl Van Dyke, but Dr. Bowles knew it all! He was the foundation to early Motown in my opinion and he knew a lot!!!!

stephanie
04-11-2013, 12:32 AM
man I could listen to these two talk for three hours. I noticed how Mr Bowles was being reserved about some subjects but this was a great interview. Learned some things I didnt know. Thank you so MUCH for this upload.

bankhousedave
04-15-2013, 05:53 AM
I'm just bumping this in case anyone hasn't seen it.