PDA

View Full Version : Motown and musician unions

test

smark21
04-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Were the musicians who played the Motown Detroit recording sessions in the 60’s members of a musicians’ union? What about studio session singers like The Andantes? Or were Detroit studio musicians not unionized?

thomas96
04-06-2013, 01:32 PM
I don't think they were unionized.

JL2648
04-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Actually I think the musicians were unionized, at least in the early years, and at least to some extent. See the Martha and the Vandellas history here:

http://motownjunkies.co.uk/2010/08/24/208/

Jeff

ralpht
04-06-2013, 02:08 PM
In the early years, no one was paying union rates to the musicians, including Motown. It wasn't until Detroit really began heating up, musically, that the union came into play.

Doug-Morgan
04-06-2013, 02:41 PM
What about the members of the DSO who played on Motown sessions? Were they in a union at that time?

ralpht
04-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Doug,
I can't speak of the early days with the DSO. I do know the string sessions rthat came through Tera Shirma were union dates, but this would be 1968 or so. What happened in the earlier years is something I'm not all that up on.

ralpht
04-06-2013, 03:21 PM
I would say that, in general, most dates that used Funk Brothers or strings and horns were filed through the Detroit Musicians Union.

imnokid
04-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Bettye's manager and mentor, Jim lewis, was the detroit Musicians Union man. She has said that most of the guys WERE members in the 60s and 70s. And being a payed up member brought you work.

ralpht
04-06-2013, 06:50 PM
The Union did try to go a little too far at some point and wanted me to monitor any session coming into Tera Shrma and make sure the client had filed a contract for a union date. When I gave him the "You got to be kidding" answer, he asked if he could station a union guy in my studio waiting room. I gave him the same look.

Other than that, Jimmy Lewis and I got on rather well.

StuBass1
04-06-2013, 07:07 PM
A lady named Idele was quite involved in the Funk Brothers contracts with Motown. She attended the recent Hollywood Star event here in Los Angeles, and Eddie Willis even mentioned her in his speech. He said she was everyones [[the musicians) girl. Jimmy Lewis was the guy who would go around town pulling plugs when he walked into a club and there were non union musicians or non contracted gigs.

JL2648
04-11-2013, 07:00 AM
So why did the musicians' union call for vocal artists to be on hand with the musicians during a recording session? In other words, why weren't the musicians permitted to record the band tracks without the vocalists? I just don't see what was in it for the musicians or their union. I understand Motown violated this union agreement regularly.

ralpht
04-11-2013, 09:08 AM
JL,
Everyone violated that singer rule. Actually, we never had to deal with that one in Detroit. That particular rule was enforced more in New York and L.A. probably because they were more established as recording cities.

JL2648
04-11-2013, 09:53 AM
JL,
Everyone violated that singer rule. Actually, we never had to deal with that one in Detroit. That particular rule was enforced more in New York and L.A. probably because they were more established as recording cities.

Ralph, I certainly have gotten the impression that this rule was commonly ignored. But why would the musicians union care if a singer was on hand for such recording sessions? What advantage would be gained for the musicians or protections afforded?

Jeff

ralpht
04-11-2013, 10:26 AM
JL,
I never understood the rule and always thought it was a non productive situation. I have a video where my brother snookers the union guys hanging at a session. I'll go find it and post it.

imnokid
04-14-2013, 01:07 PM
The Union did try to go a little too far at some point and wanted me to monitor any session coming into Tera Shrma and make sure the client had filed a contract for a union date. When I gave him the "You got to be kidding" answer, he asked if he could station a union guy in my studio waiting room. I gave him the same look.

Other than that, Jimmy Lewis and I got on rather well.

HA! I'll tell Bettye when she gets off the road.