PDA

View Full Version : Posters from yesteryear............

test

blueskies
04-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Does anyone have a list or know of former members here who have passed on? Seems like so many have dropped off the radar screen over the years and was wondering if some of them may have passed.

robb_k
04-06-2013, 12:13 PM
The Count, Ron Murphy, Weldon McDougal, Joe Hunter.....

I'm sure that I'm forgetting some.

ralpht
04-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Babbitt comes to mind.

marv2
04-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Robbert of the Netherlands is another.

robb_k
04-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Robbert of the Netherlands is another.
Oh yes! Robbert! How could I forget my namesake, near neighbour, and one of my favourite posters?

This all leads me to wonder how anyone on this forum will know when I, myself, leave this Earth [[especially if I go suddenly, after never have being sick, as my father did a few months ago). No one here is in contact with any of my family or local friends. I guess when you all don't see any posts from me for more than a few weeks, you will start wondering.

blueskies
04-07-2013, 08:24 AM
I remember Robbert's posts. I had posted something in French once [[very hastily written and not proofread) and he commented he spoke French and had NO idea what I was talking about. My grandparents were from France and we spoke French at home. I went back and reread what I had posted and it was downright bizarre in the translation. Roberrt and I both had a good laugh over that one. It was sort of translated as : I always liked the Supemes when I went shopping for hats....or something like that. Yikes!

steve w
05-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Does anyone know if David from Glasgow still pops bye from time to time? He originally had the idea to get soulful detroit of the ground. Many posters missed but I enjoyed Mike Macleans and Dekes post about the background at Motown where a lot of things became a little clearer. But Yes I miss Babbit too and will never forget his answer to my question about him producing Danny Woods record "Love and Devotion" - "thanks for reminding me says the famous one I had completly forgotten about that - Happy days !!!

jsmith
05-22-2013, 03:30 AM
A lot of the knowledgeable 'old-stagers' with insider information seem to have left us.
Mores the pity, as they have taken many interesting details with them.

motownmorph1
05-22-2013, 04:00 AM
just about every forum nowadays is suffering from Facebook & Twitter, ... sadly!

morph

Kamasu_Jr
05-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Oh yes! Robbert! How could I forget my namesake, near neighbour, and one of my favourite posters?

This all leads me to wonder how anyone on this forum will know when I, myself, leave this Earth [[especially if I go suddenly, after never have being sick, as my father did a few months ago). No one here is in contact with any of my family or local friends. I guess when you all don't see any posts from me for more than a few weeks, you will start wondering.

That made me sad Robb. You need to keep in contact with someone from the forum privately. Gee, no one should spend their golden years alone.

mellow_q
05-22-2013, 11:25 AM
just about every forum nowadays is suffering from Facebook & Twitter, ... sadly!

morph

I'd been saying this the last few years when someone would bring up "What ever happened to ...?" and it has always been shot down. I can't speak for every region, but the New Yorkers who used to come in here are all on Facebook; Juice, Tresjolie, Dyva, Kev-Lo and others who I am forgetting. Juice still pops in here on occasion, but that's about it.

Marc T

blueskies
05-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know whatever happened to some of the posters from about 10 years ago...
Nish
Chancellor of Soul
Mel and then some
Caleb
Davie Gordon London
Carl Dixon
Sue

Soul Sister
05-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Nish - [[The last time I spoke with her she was managing a singer).
__________________________________________________ _____

Chancellor of Soul [[Mike Boone)
Melandthensome [[Ian Melia)
Carl Dixon
Sue Whitall
DyvaNaye [[Renee Williams)

Are all on Fecebook. :)
If your a friend of theirs they will friend you.

S.S.

blueskies
05-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Thank you Soul Sister. I've often wondered where these folks went.

ralpht
05-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Mel looks in from time to time. He has a new bride so I think he is pleasently preoccupied these days.

Soul Sister
05-23-2013, 12:13 PM
You're welcome, blueskies.

S.S.

blueskies
05-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Maybe Soul Sister or others can chime in and see if they remember some from the 'olden golden' days of SDF:1wicked, Manny, Spookey, DVD Mike, Wonder B, Gino of Belgium and Here I am...

robb_k
05-24-2013, 12:25 AM
That made me sad Robb. You need to keep in contact with someone from the forum privately. Gee, no one should spend their golden years alone.
I'm not alone. I have plenty of friends and family in my daily life, including a ladyfriend [[an artist with whom I also work). My comment was that I no one on this forum might know when I pass on, because, unlike Robbert, none of the people on this forum have contact with anyone in my daily life.

I DO have outside contact with several members of this forum, like Oldiesmusicfan, Davie Gordon, Acooolcat, Ady Croasdell, even Ralph. But, none of them have contact with any of my family or local friends. But, I realise now that you all WILL likely find out if I pass on, as Rod S. [[active member here in 2002-2004) has contact with my family, and is active on my other Soul forum [[Soul Source Forum), where there are several members who post both on this board, and on that one. So, Rod will notify people on THAT board, and someone from there [[Ady, John [[Soul)Smith, Davie G. , Keith Hughes, Ian Dewhirst, Chalky, Mel, or someone else who posts on BOTH, will tell the folks here.

But don't worry about me being lonely. I have lots of people in my daily life. It's just that none of those that also happen to be on this forum, have contact with any of my closest friends or family.

robb_k
05-24-2013, 12:32 AM
More people have left this forum because they are using Facebook, Twitter and the like, or are just very busy, rather than having passed away. Many of the British members that used to post here are still posting on Soul Source forum. And, those people that left here with Bobby Eli and Soul Sister and their friends are still on that other Soul forum [[I forget its name). i still have contact with some other ex-members [[Don Montgomerie, and a few others). I don't know of anyone having passed on other than the few I listed above.

Other people are just too busy nowadays, with higher priorities. I, myself, have a LOT less time to post here, than I did back in 2002-2007, and so, only post on a few threads that I am especially interest in.

Soul Sister
05-24-2013, 02:02 AM
Robb,
Bobby, Vonnie, Myself, Mary, etcetra... are not posting there anymore, there's only one poster left.
Don & family stopped posting there a long time ago. Please tell him I said Hello.

I think everyone is on Facebook now, even some who still post here.
Some of us are more busy as you say but will post on Facebook when time allows. My dates are the same as yours, I got more busy after 2007 once Jimmy couldn't walk anymore and needed full-time care giving but it didn't stop us from touring/doing shows whenever, he still loved to sing, it's what he's done all his life and still sounds great.

Sad so many members have passed on as well as so many artists too. :[[

S.S.

robb_k
05-24-2013, 02:12 AM
Robb,
Bobby, Vonnie, Myself, Mary, etcetra... are not posting there anymore, there's only one poster left.
Don & family stopped posting there a long time ago. Please tell him I said Hello.

I think everyone is on Facebook now, even some who still post here.
Some of us are more busy as you say but will post on Facebook when time allows. My dates are the same as yours, I got more busy after 2007 once Jimmy couldn't walk anymore and needed full-time care giving but it didn't stop us from touring/doing shows whenever, he still loved to sing, it's what he's done all his life and still sounds great.

Sad so many members have passed on as well as so many artists too. :[[

S.S.
I will.

I'm still not on Facebook [[or a service like that). That would be my end. I spend much too much time on The Internet as it is. If I were to go onto Facebook, I'd blow all my work deadlines, lose all my clients, and end up living in a cardboard box on the street [[or in Vondelpark :eek:[[God forbid)).

Soul Sister
05-24-2013, 02:17 AM
Thanks, Robb.

LOL.....don't do that! You better stay away from Facebook, too much going on over there. ;)

S.S.

blueskies
05-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks Soul Sister and Robb for the input. Time moves on. It's nice to hear many are still 'out there'.

blueskies
05-24-2013, 10:49 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vondelpark Well, Robb....at least Vondelpark looks nice!

alanh
05-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Yes time moves on and technology changes things. A few years ago some people blamed the internet for stopping us writing letters to each other or even phoning! I've not got [[and refuse to be) caught up in Facebook and Twitter. I may be losing out, but emails and the internet are fine for me [[and I'm sure replacements for Facebook and Twitter will arrive soon anyway and everyone will have to start all over again with their 'social network'). I really enjoy online Forums like Soulful Detroit and a couple of others, but there are loads of those too. You've got to draw the line somewhere. It's a real shame that some past members don't post here anymore, or not as much as they used to. I'm sure they miss the 'family' feel. But I'm not interested in being 'followed', having 'friends' I've never met, or tweeting the world to tell them that I just saw someone on a bus! There are only 24 hours in the day and I want to enjoy time to myself too. Thanks to all who make Soulful Detroit the fun and interesting place it is.

blueskies
05-24-2013, 11:33 AM
I totally agree with you alanh. You really summed it up for me.

robb_k
05-25-2013, 12:47 AM
Nish - [[The last time I spoke with her she was managing a singer).
__________________________________________________ _____

Chancellor of Soul [[Mike Boone)
Melandthensome [[Ian Melia)
Carl Dixon
Sue Whitall
DyvaNaye [[Renee Williams)

Are all on Fecebook. :)
If your a friend of theirs they will friend you.

S.S.
I've seen Mike posting his shows on You-tube, and Carl and Mel posting once in a while on Soul Source Forum.

alanh
05-25-2013, 05:08 AM
I'm in touch with Carl who's still busy with his day job while pursuing his strong passion for writing and recording new music in the Detroit and Philly styles. You may remember he released some Detroit and Philly recordings a few years ago. In March he put out some basic instrumentals very much in the Philly/Salsoul style [['Make Five'), some of which he's hoping he might be able to record as vocals one day. They're all under the project name Bandtraxs and available on iTunes. One of the 2009 tracks that he worked on with Bobby Eli 'Soul Recession' by Double Exposure has been included on the forthcoming 'Philly Re-Grooved 3: The Tom Moulton Remixes'.

francis t
05-26-2013, 02:17 PM
I used to post from time to time, but my required password is a bit of a jumble and I need to find it.When I do I find it have lost interest.I know a couple of posters from the past who had trouble setting up things for the "new " system and lost interest.Sadly for me the squables between certain factions turned me off the site for a while, but still look what is happening fairly regularly.I wonder how many others disappeared from posting for similar reasons?
Soul Source, Facebook etc certainly must have had an affect on the site popularity of the site, and the passing of or the lack of involvement by many of the musicians who used to share recording secrets with us.
I will keep checking in.
All the best
francis t

Soul Sister
05-26-2013, 04:59 PM
blueskies,

Nish [[Tanisha Jackson) is on Facebook too.

S.S.

blueskies
05-26-2013, 08:39 PM
blueskies,

Nish [[Tanisha Jackson) is on Facebook too.

S.S.
*** Thank you Soul Sister. I always used to enjoy reading Nish's post as well as yours and some of the ones mentioned above.

55Motown
02-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Yes,I am still around. Checking in here on occasions. Thank you Alan. Yes, I spend most of my spare time writing and being creative. Remember, the very reason I hooked up with Bobby Eli, Bob Babbit, Dennis Coffey, Spyder Turner and Uriel Jones and the many many more in the business was because of David Meikle's vision for this web site in the first place circa 2002 when I think I first joined. His conviction gave me mine...and it worked.

Yes, the 'Make Five' instrumental releases are my vision for some East Coast Philly styled songs circa 1976. Influenced by the MFSB/Salsoul Orchestra sound.

And indeed a London label picked up on 'Soul Recession' and a new remix was completed by Tom Moulton for it. Even though recorded in 2008, produced by Bobby Eli [[with me learning!) in his Philly studio, it was suggested it had its roots in the 1970's and certainly qqualified to be on the double CD album. Many of those songs on there actually influenced me to become a song writer and now a thrill to be parked next to 'Hold back the night' by The Trammps. One review wondered how it had been hidden for so long from the 1970's before anybody had heard it! Obviously he had not read the sleeve notes. Thank you to Ian Dewhirst for making that happen. Another visionary who can see the bigger picture.

Also, next month Spyder Turner will be performing 'Tell me [[crying over you)' live at the Prestatyn soul weekender, for the first time in the songs career! I wrote the original song in 2004 just two years after joining Soulfuldetroit. Spyder helped with some lyric enhancements and a cracking vocal proving without doubt that quality soul music can be made today. Not one synth in it, real vibes and horns etc.

Please don't think Soulfuldetroit is just about reading history, its about making it too. That's very important for anybody on here who has musical plans for the future. The likes of Bobby, Dennis and Spyder made things happen for me. Without them and their passion...I am nothing.

Yes, I am on Facebook and Soul Source. My songs and demos can be found on Youtube/Soundcloud under the 55motown moniker. I have loads of work in progress too. Also I am the writer, producer and singer on all 'The Delgonives' tracks at present. Currently working on another two songs for that scenario.

All the best

Carl
www.bandtraxs.com [[http://www.bandtraxs.com)

arr&bee
02-27-2014, 07:42 PM
Blueskies,you must have read my mind[that's a dangerous place]but anyhow i too often wonder about our extended family and was thinking about a thread about a reunion where all those who don't visit reguarly might just stop by on a saturday and say hello,here on sfd of course...great post blueskies...sdf forever.

juicefree20
03-19-2014, 02:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

For my part, life has been a bit different since my mother became ill. I'm the caretaker for both her & my handicapped sister. Then, there's my grandson, whom I spend every possible moment with. Then still try to find a way to squeeze in a little personal time for myself.

Because of these factors, I don't get out as often as I used to. For now, that's impossible. And I have to admit that not getting out as I once did makes me feel as though I don't have very much to contribute at this time.

Then too, I have to admit that it became a little discouraging to have serious conversations, while all anyone wanted to do was to argue about different singers & unfortunately, those whom could've participated * been a buffer were spending more time on Facebook.

But I mention Soulful Detroit every chance that I get, in hopes that some may decide to come back, or that other music lovers will check it out & join.

But no matter what, Soulful Detroit is always close to my heart & it always will be. I'm going to continue to send out some more feelers & perhaps set up a day when we can all stop back through & get back to some of the fun that we used to have.

And most ironic of all is the fact that some whom had some of the biggest arguments here have mended fences, as life is just to short to hold onto a bunch of nonsense.

I'd like to see everyone come back. Oh yeah...

And an end to the "Wars" which from some remarks I've read are still continuing. I'm sure that that's not helping with the new recruits nor the old guard.

But I'll keep trying :)