PDA

View Full Version : Billy Griffin

test

mysterysinger
04-04-2013, 06:28 AM
BILLY GRIFFIN-SERIOUS
Recording artist @ Motown, Sony, Atlantic @ RNB Entertainment Records.
An R&B/Pop producer, songwriter and recording artist, Griffin is currently signed to the newly formed RNB Entertainment Group, Fontana/Universal.

Former lead singer of an American Icon, "the Miracles", Billy Griffin is most revered in America as the composer and lead singer of the double-platinum Soul Opera album, "City of Angels"..... which just happens to contain his classic dance anthem "Love Machine."
The one song that all those Motown repackaged box sets and Time/Warner TV compilation CDs need to sell 'em.
Yes, that Love Machine!!!

To the rest of the modern civilized world,
[[Holla Back! Billy fans from Europe, Brazil and Japan)) this favorite son of Baltimore, Maryland........
is the "Rainman" who gave us the 80's masterpiece tandem of, "Hold Me Tighter In The Rain" and "Serious"

For all you south-eastern seaboard steppers, he's the "Soul Man" who croons your 1990's Carolina beach hit, "Believe It Or Not."

Billy's penned songs for Wham, Aretha Franklin, Fergie, The Ojays, Ronnie Isley, Freda Payne, Edwin Starr, Evelyn Champagne King, Herb Alpert, Martine McCutcheon, The Emotions...... and donned the pop producer's cap to give The "Pasadenas" [[that Soul Quintet from England) their Top of the Pop's, number one hit with "I'm Doing Fine Now."

Lest we forget the Billy Griffin productions of " I Found Heaven","Could It Be Magic" and "A Million Love Songs"........ that spearheaded the break-out career of the quentisential British Boy band "Take That."
Who according to the BBC, is second only to the "Beatles" as the biggest British Music Export ever!!
As you well know "Take That" would eventually spin-off the solo stylings of the flamboyant Super-Star, Robbie Williams. http://www.robbiewilliams.com/

Hey enough about 'Dem Blokes'.... Google 'em up if you must.....
On March 20, 2009 Billy Griffin was awarded a star on the "Hollywood Walk Of Fame" as the lead singer of the Miracles, Motown's best.
ALSO VISIT: HTTP://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/BILLYGRIFFINTHEMIRACLES

RossHolloway
04-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Glad that he's part of the conversation on this board.

milven
04-04-2013, 12:15 PM
I am a fan. Saw Billy and the Miracles at the Apollo and loved them. My favorite song by the Miracles has him on the lead, not Smokey. And it comes from my favorite Miracle album. I think some of the stuff that we say about the Seventies Supremes can also be said about the Seventies Miracles. They had hits. But they were so talented, they should have had more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6AIySRvFug

mickeymac
04-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Welcome Billy

milven
04-06-2013, 12:21 AM
The Miracles: Featuring Billy Griffin
The Years Without Smokey Robinson
jeffrey conyers
Apr 19, 2011
Three of Motown biggest groups went through a personnel change and each held that place within the good with honors. First was Jean Terrell, replaced Diana Ross and help the group to succeed when many thought they couldn't. Next, the closest falsetta to Eddie Kendricks in the person, of Damon Harris. Who has about the same amount, of pressure placed upon him to succeed in his slot in the Temptations.
And, the one that joined the Miracles, as lead vocalist in the early seventies when Smokey departed the group for family time. That man, that person was William Griffin better known to fans, as Billy Griffin. Who left his mark upon the group in ways that die hard fans can't begin to give him credit for doing.

On his first album, as lead singer "Renaissance" he succeed although many wouldn't have know it since Motown didn't promote the album in ways they did the star supreme. The group had beautiful tunes contributed, from Freddie Perren, Marvin Gaye, Willie Hutch, Leon Ware, Fonce Mizell, Pam Sawyer, Clay McMurray names that produced successful hits on other artist, at Motown.

The great "Frank Wilson" penned "I Don't Need No Reason" with Ware that holds up greatly against others hits they recorded with their former lead singer during his period in-the group. A song that Gaye sung , as a solo song was produced with sweetness upon the Miracles called "I Love You Secretly" that showcase Griffin's vocals pretty great.

From, What Is A Heart Good For to the last song on side two "I Didn't Realize The Show Was Over" will give people the impressions they was more than what people expected? While Smokey was singing about a "Quiet Storm" his former group was challenging the woman to "Do It Baby" in ways that show they was going all out to be heard with this sensuality approach to loving a woman.

And, on the album named after the hit song you'll find familiar names like Leon Ware, Freddie Perren, Willie Hutch, and Christine Yarian. Who played an important part,of the success, as a writer, of the seventies Miracles. After all her husband Perren was greatly contributing to this group, of Miracles. Even legendary Hal Davis was helm productions on the group. And, by the time "City of Angel" concept album was information you find Warren Moore writing again for his group along with Billy Griffin. Did they miss Smokey Robinson? Not really.

They just needed promotion which many people know the decision makers was pushing one agenda during this period. But , these Miracles wasn't stopping, from being recognized in their own way. They ad another classic hit, from Perren-Yarian, who by this time was in control.

They pen a majority, of the songs on the album that contained the hit "Don't Cha Love It" and used a duo vocal on "Sweet Sweet Heaven" where Griffin and Rogers switch within the song. Something that wasn't visited to often when Smokey was leading the group formerly called the Matadors.

Even, the beautiful written "Brokenhearted Girl-Brokenhearted Boy stands up against some, of their former compositions they wrote with Robinson. Many might not know Billy Griffin, but that because they only know a limited version, of the Miracles, with Billy G leading the way.

After, leaving Motown for CBS which never understood the Motown way they disbanded after an album. But after Smokey the group sung about the sensual side as composed to the romance they use to sing.

kenneth
04-06-2013, 06:03 AM
I always loved Billy Griffin's voice and the "Do It Baby" album especially [[with that great cover of them parting the waters). But, I always wondered, in the case of the Miracles [[as well as the Temptations), why Motown chose singers with voices so close to the persons they were replacing, whereas in the Supremes' case, Jean Terrell couldn't have been more different than Diana Ross vocally.

In the case of the Temptations, I think it could be said that they were more of an ensemble group and really needed someone with Eddie's voice to round out the equation. But what about the Miracles? Do you think it was for the same reason, that the group was so recognizable due to Smokey's sound?

Regardless, I think both Billy Griffin and Damon Harris never received the credit they were due because their voices so closely mirrored the singers they were replacing. I recall reading somewhere that at one point they were even in a group together, and Griffin would sing the Miracles songs and Harris would sing the Temptations songs. Does anyone know if that was true?