PDA

View Full Version : Supremes "In and Out of Love" live performances

test

revvy
04-03-2013, 11:52 PM
I just love this live performance of "In and Out of Love" from the Talk of the Town album [['68 or '69). It sounds so much better than the record. It's a fun song and the arrangement here is superb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dkMbyJylz4

Diana isn't turned up too high and you can actually hear Cindy holding the top which doesn't often happen. As much as I love Florence, she always seemed a bit awkward with the live performances save her ingenious comedic timing. She always seemed off with the dance steps. Cindy, on the other hand, was a much better "performer" but unfortunately didn't have Flo's gospel belt. She was still a solid background singer, though.

I wonder if any other incarnations of Supremes did this song live. I had heard it was rehearsed for Return to Love, but I don't know for sure if Diana, Lynda and Scherrie ever performed it live. If they did, I wonder how it came off. Did anyone see it?

marv2
04-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Did anyone see it?

They may have performed it, but I highly doubt that many people saw it! LOL!!!!

franjoy56
04-04-2013, 12:08 AM
They may have performed it, but I highly doubt that many people saw it! LOL!!!!

I had a tape of the entire New York performance that my firend the late Philip Howell gave me, i am still looking for it, but I remember them doing In and Out of Love, forever Came Today, When the lovelights start shinning, Love is like an itching, [[I think Nothing but heartaches) and most of their number ones. when someone requested "Someday We'll Be together" diana refused the request saying "we tried that" if i find the tape i will report back further, Lynda did up the ladder and sherrie did stoned love.

luke
04-04-2013, 01:53 PM
I sure hear Mary but still have trouble hearing Cindy. Diana great here.

BayouMotownMan
04-04-2013, 06:29 PM
I agree, I love the live arrangement. My favorite of all Supremes performances on TV was Diana, Mary and Cindy doing this on Ed Sullivan. Diana sounded great and all three looked stunning in white satin. It was my first glimpse of Cindy

jobeterob
04-04-2013, 06:48 PM
But did Mary or Cindy make it on to the single release or did Louvain take over again?

BayouMotownMan
04-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Mary and Flo reportedly recorded it, but their vocals were wiped off after Flo's termination and the Andantes were utilized on both Reflections and In And Out Of Love

marv2
04-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Mary and Flo reportedly recorded it, but their vocals were wiped off after Flo's termination and the Andantes were utilized on both Reflections and In And Out Of Love

Mary Wilson and her voice is on the released version of "Reflections"!

marv2
04-04-2013, 07:59 PM
I don't know why we keep wasting time with this, but here it goes ........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRjCqaX2IvQ

marv2
04-04-2013, 08:04 PM
and here we have Diane, Mary and FLO singing "In and Out of Love"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOJfy7LJu7k

JohnnyB
04-04-2013, 08:47 PM
I had a tape of the entire New York performance that my firend the late Philip Howell gave me, i am still looking for it, but I remember them doing In and Out of Love, forever Came Today, When the lovelights start shinning, Love is like an itching, [[I think Nothing but heartaches) and most of their number ones. when someone requested "Someday We'll Be together" diana refused the request saying "we tried that" if i find the tape i will report back further, Lynda did up the ladder and sherrie did stoned love.
In And Out of Love was performed in Detroit, but not at the NY show, or Houston, Dallas and Philadelphia. It may have been performed at other tour stops, but I only heard of it being done in Detroit. Nothing But Heartaches was performed in Houston, but again I'm unsure if it was performed at other dates.

revvy
04-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks for that info. There has to be a clip SOMEWHERE!

bradsupremes
04-04-2013, 08:57 PM
The instrumental track for "In And Out Of Love" was originally cut in Detroit with the Funk Brothers during the same session that produced "The Happening" and "Reflections" on March 3, 1967. HDH later recut the track in LA on April 20, 1967. This was the track used for the single/album, etc. Diana, Mary & Florence recorded their vocals on June 12, 1967. It would be the last session Flo recorded as a Supreme. The next day on June 13th the Andantes were brought to add their vocals to the track. Either they were dubbed over on Mary & Florence's track or they were mixed with Mary & Florence's vocals. Regardless of who we hear, Mary & Florence recorded the song.

As for "Reflections," only two women are singing the background vocals. One of the ladies is Mary Wilson. The other lady is debatable. Some feel it is Florence while others think it is one of the Andantes [[like Marlene Barrow or Louvain Demps). This rules out the Andantes as a group singing. You can decide for yourself who you hear.

revvy
04-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Was it me? Was it me?

JohnnyB
04-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks for that info. There has to be a clip SOMEWHERE!
I'd love to see one. I saw the show in Houston and Dallas and have the Philadelphia and NYC shows on tape, but no IAOOL! Another interesting thing... I Hear A Symphony wasn't performed in Philadelphia and Houston. It surprised me that song would alternate with some of the lesser hits for inclusion.

revvy
04-04-2013, 09:55 PM
I'd love to see one. I saw the show in Houston and Dallas and have the Philadelphia and NYC shows on tape, but no IAOOL! Another interesting thing... I Hear A Symphony wasn't performed in Philadelphia and Houston. It surprised me that song would alternate with some of the lesser hits for inclusion.

What did you think of the show?

davidh
04-04-2013, 10:18 PM
i liked the show for the most part. i think for a few shows Diana did an extra solo numbers and some supremes songs were cut out,even on one show Scherrie didnt do STONED LOVE cause Diana did CHAIN REACTION . thought that was strange that diana would take away the only solo that Sherrie had.hmmmm. i wonder if there r tapes of the toehr songs mentioned.i have FOREVER CAME TODAY on my tape. anyone have clips from the other shows

JohnnyB
04-04-2013, 10:39 PM
I thought it was a great show! The dancers, the orchestra and the girls created a very entertaining production. All of the big hits [[except Someday, I'm Gonna... and sometimes Symphony) were performed in full versions, true to the original sound, as well as a 4-6 song solo set from Diana. There were a few unexpected surprises at various stops--Money, Forever Came Today, Somewhere and an incredible version of Reach Out, I'll Be There as the closer each night. A great show in spite of the negativity surrounding it.

revvy
04-05-2013, 01:52 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that it was a fine show. Diana Ross does not put on a bad show. I'm afraid I was one of the boycotters. Do I regret not going? No. When I finally saw Diana, Lynda and Scherrie at the top of those stairs on the VH1 Opening Night clip, I knew it didn't look right or feel right. My loyalty is to the Diana, Mary, Cindy grouping. I'm glad you had a great time, though! I would like to see that "In and Out of Love" clip from Detroit, in any case. I know Maxine Powell and Freda Payne were in attendance.

davidh, You said you like the show "for the most part", well what about the other part? What was it you felt could have been improved?

I find it odd that Scherrie's solo was cut in both Philadelphia and the city where Diana replaced it with Chain Reaction. Was Scherrie not up to it? She is technically a better singer than Lynda.