PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Robinson Signs with Universal's Verve Label

test

marv2
04-03-2013, 11:05 PM
http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/1554986/smokey-robinson-signs-with-universals-verve-label

By The Hollywood Reporter | March 29, 2013 7:12 PM EDT

Motown icon Smokey Robinson has signed with Verve Music Group, the Universal label chaired by veteran producer David Foster.

The legendary singer will release his 29th career album, a collection of duets, this coming fall. Jay Landers will A&R the record.

The news comes on the heels of Robinson’s March 27 and 28 appearance on "American Idol," where the show’s top eight contestants were challenged to perform songs by artists who hail from Detroit, where the influential Motown sound was born.

Said Foster in making the announcement: "From the early 60's to this very day, you can turn on a radio anywhere in the world and hear his music. Smokey Robinson's contributions to the world of music as a performer, producer and songwriter are nothing short of a 'miracle.’ I'm so pleased to welcome Smokey to the Verve Music Group family. We're looking forward to a great collaboration worthy of the legacy of this great label."

The duets album will feature hits written by Robinson, which include such classics as "My Girl," "Cruisin," and "The Tears of a Clown."

calvin
04-04-2013, 02:02 AM
Now that Universal will be promoting Smokey for his new release, perhaps UMG Select can continue with the Smokey solo albums series that was apparently stopped?

R. Mark Desjardins
04-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Smokey has talked about the Latin language album he has wanted to record for some time. I for one am anxiously awaiting what he will unleash!